Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season

Read 16517 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Re: Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season
      Reply #69: Feb 07, 2013 07:16:52 pm
      Billy - out of interest where does Carra sit in the pantheon of great LFC icons?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #70: Feb 07, 2013 07:20:42 pm
      The word is mate Jamie has requested a coaching role with LFC.

Next Everton Manager, nailed on!! ;)

Anyway the time to thank Carra for his loyalty will be at the end of the season or at his testimonial match which he will surely have.

Already had a testimonial match, scored for both Liverpool and Everton in the game!!

Will go up there alongside Ron Yeats, Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson and Alan Hanson and Sami Hyypia as great centre-backs who have played for the club.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #71: Feb 07, 2013 07:44:43 pm
      "Leaving Liverpool" sounds to me like Carra has a job in the media or perhaps as a manager already lined up (my money would be alongside Neville in the former). He's been a fantastic player for us, and it's amazing that everyone thinks he's our best defender again. If you said that six months ago you were derided (believe me I know). Now, even those who went off him after he said Houllier was the best manager he'd played under love him again. Like everyone else, I wish we could find a spot in the set up for him, Carra could bethe founding member of the modern boot-room.

Well said bigmick. Know exactly where you're coming from. A lot of people were saying his legs had gone and he wasn't good enough anymore. Other posters have laid into him about other alleged rumours in the past too. I remember it all well mate.

Jamie has proven during his career that guts and effort account for 90% of a players true worth to any team. He may not have the technical ability of Agger but he gets in there where it hurts and never gets out-muscled. His last two games have proven just how valuable he is to this side.

He is a leader, he commands respect. Everyone looks up to him, even the older players. Given what he's put his body through i'm surprised he's lasted until now but that just goes to show what a warrior he is. He hasn't namby pambied around like a F***ing faggot, watching strikers and the like waltz past him. He's clattered, battered, steam rollered, obliterated and fu**ed up anything in his way.

If you were to ask Drogba who the hardest centre back he came up against was, i bet it would be Jamie. What's more worrying for me is who will take over the mantle when he's gone?. I'd like to think it will be Kelly, Coates or Wisdom.

One thing i do know, you won't find a bigger pair of boots to fill at centre half than Jamie's.

I'm not going to give a farewell message, he's not leaving yet. Thank F**k for that!.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #72: Feb 07, 2013 07:50:08 pm
      One of the TRUE LFC GREATS.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #73: Feb 07, 2013 07:50:56 pm
      Only just heard this as I've been tied up all day. As everyone has said, although we knew it was coming, it still came as a tremendous shock.
      It is so hard to think of Liverpool Football Club without Jamie Carragher, he is a part of the DNA of this club, and I truly hope we find a way of employing him in some capacity in the future.
      I am just sad that he won't add a Premiership medal to his collection, he deserves it.
      We are, unfortunately coming to the end of an era, we need to move on, but it won't be easy. Will we ever see the likes of Jamie and Stevie again, one club men, I doubt it.
      Time to take time to enjoy what is left of a wonderful playing career, and plan a magnificent send off.
      I think a party is in order.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #74: Feb 07, 2013 08:08:32 pm
      It's a weird sort of feeling for me. I don't feel sad or anything like. I mean, how much more can one man give to the club, really? Plus he's at that age now, so deep down we knew this day would come, albeit it still hits you even when expecting it.

He'll go down as a legend and absolutely so. What Carra lacked in terms of technical ability, physical size, speed and things like that, he more than made up for with position, dedication to the cause, and throwing his body on the line time and again. I think the one thing that's always been underrated with Jamie is intelligence. He's a very smart player and knows football inside and out.

But for me, at least in my time supporting the club, there have always been two constants at Liverpool Football Club: Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard. Now Carra's retiring. It's surreal for me.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #75: Feb 07, 2013 08:18:27 pm
      Proper legend this lad..

Legend is a word thrown around too often these days but James Lee Duncan Carragher is just that.. A true Liverpool legend.

From the lad who broke through the ranks and started out as a holding midfielder in his early days and went on to become one of the best Center backs the club had witnessed.

Liverpool - Jamie Carragher (goal)

During his 723 games (so far) he has played all across the back 4, being very good in every position, his spell at Left back under Gerard Houllier proved just how versatile he was and simply just how good a defender he is. He is a leader of men, a student of the game, somebody who will put his body on the line in the cause.. Steven Gerrard rightly gets lauded for his role in Istanbul but Carra's level of commitment and we will not be beaten attitude, playing as his body was giving up on him during extra time should never be forgetten.. If you want to show someone how to defend show them the video of Carra that night.
      Never blessed with the greatest pace but such a good reader of the game and where danger was going to be before it arrived, being the last covering defender where it looked like the forward was certain to score only for Jamie to get in a block.

Jamie Carragher// Greatest Tackles

Winner of everything apart from what some would consider the biggest of them all during his career..

Twice FA cup winner
      Three times League cup winner
      Uefa Cup winner
      Twice Uefa super cup winner
      Twice Community shield winner

And the big one

Won Liverpool's player of the year in 2005 and 2007 and was in Uefa's team of the year in 2006.. Maybe not appriciated outside of Liverpool as much as he should have been, but one things for certain we will miss the man when he is gone next season..

Thank you Jamie lad...

My all time Cb..

23 CARRA GOLD

Find your football tactics app at this11.com

At number 1 is Carragher
      At number 2 is Carragher
      At number 3 is Carragher
      At number 4 is Carragher

Carragher...

We all dream of a team of Carraghers a team of Carraghers a team of Carraghers.............. ..................

LEGEND
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #76: Feb 07, 2013 09:11:39 pm
      My heart weeped a little bit when I read this this afternoon. I was half expecting it but it still is a sad day. It's hard to define him in words. The biggest compliment I could pay to him is that you can't just tell people about him, you have to show people. If there's a figure you wanted alongside you in the trenches he would be your number 1 candidate for today, tomorrow, for eternity. The saddest thing though is that I really believe he is the last of his kind for Liverpool and the rest of English football.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #77: Feb 07, 2013 09:28:43 pm
      Epitome of the word LEGEND!

Cant believe the day has come! Damn!
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #78: Feb 07, 2013 09:31:08 pm
      Gutted that he's retiring. I was one of the people that wanted him to step aside to let Skrtel and Agger develop their partnership, but now I realize how good he still is and how much he will me missed. This is a player that cannot be replaced, as he's shown over the years. He's decided to retire at the right time, and he's timing to announce it (after these last few games) will serve to remind us of what we'll be missing.

You'll Never Walk Alone, you legend!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #79: Feb 07, 2013 09:31:09 pm
      A sad sad day!

You are and always be a legend of this club.

YNWA Jamie!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #80: Feb 07, 2013 09:59:10 pm
      Since Everton FC were formed in 1872 they have won 15 major trophies.....Jamie Carragher has won 12 !!..

Says it all really...

I'll leave a farewell comment in May....much to be done before then....
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #81: Feb 07, 2013 10:04:27 pm
      Even though we expected it in the coming years, it still F***ing hurts! Thank you Jamie Carragher for everything, what a fantastic servant for this club.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #82: Feb 07, 2013 10:06:03 pm
      Gutted, thought he'd be here another season at least.

I was there for Carra's home debut vs Villa in 97 and I hope to be there on his final home game vs QPR in May.

Legend!..We all dream of a team .....
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #83: Feb 07, 2013 10:06:04 pm
      Saw in a newspaper that it said he'd leave "an unfillable hole" in the side. Completely agree. His experience, his leadership and his unbridled passion for this great club won't be met for a long time still. YNWA CARRA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #84: Feb 07, 2013 10:17:15 pm
      The day that he announced this was always going to happen sooner or later, just wish it was later! Jamie Carragher no longer part of the squad just doesn't seem right! Him and Gerrard have been at the club from when I started supporting the club, just wont seem right with no Carra! We had better bloody well get a damn good replacement because he is still our best defender at the club! Would have like to see him play on for another season, hopefully he could end up doing a u-turn but if not then I hope he goes on to become a coach for us, he knows the game better than anyone else at the club and could really benefit the likes of Kelly and Wisdom who like Carra did, will end up playing CB one day.

All the best Carra!! Legend and a player who would do anything for the team!
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #85: Feb 07, 2013 10:37:22 pm
      I haven't posted on or read this forum for several months but just read the Carragher news there and had to show my respect to an absolute massive Liverpool legend.

Loved the way you defended for us and the commitment you gave us being a one club man just like our other modern era legend and hero Steven Gerrard. The two of you are my hero's and the epitome of club loyalty and commitment.

Watching you play for us for 16 years makes me feel old and you've left us with so many memories with the best being that legendary night in Istanbul.

All the best Carra and I would love to see you go on to manage and end up back at Anfield as manager one day.

Legend.
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #86: Feb 07, 2013 10:52:44 pm
      Thanks for everything Jamie, been expecting this to be announced for obvious reasons but still can't help feeling sad, all the best Jamie I hope you stay at the club with a different role all the best YNWA!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #87: Feb 07, 2013 10:57:44 pm
      Was racking my brain to think of any incident where Carra has brought any shame or awkwardness with any incident off the pitch and came up with nothing.

On the pitch he gave his all every time he wore the shirt and was and still is the epitome of the heart and character that all players should strive for when blessed with the opportunity to wear the badge.

In a way i am pleased that he is going out whilst his performances are still of a top level and look forward to enjoying the last few months every time he steps out on the pitch for us.

Deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as all our greats and in great defenders also in world football.

We have been phenomenally lucky to have had him as a player and look forward to his evolution into a quality coach and future manager for us.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #88: Feb 07, 2013 11:06:10 pm
      Completely Gutted
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #89: Feb 07, 2013 11:07:10 pm
      Was racking my brain to think of any incident where Carra has brought any shame or awkwardness with any incident off the pitch and came up with nothing.

If we really wanted to be picky we could say getting bladdered and erm F***ing about with strippers at the christmas party that time and getting wasted at a house party at the Ince's and threatening to smash a few mancs, little bit of car damage afterwards as well!!

Most of this was in his young days ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #90: Feb 07, 2013 11:18:24 pm
      If we really wanted to be picky we could say getting bladdered and erm F***ing about with strippers at the christmas party that time and getting wasted at a house party at the Ince's and threatening to smash a few mancs, little bit of car damage afterwards as well!!

Most of this was in his young days ;)

What about nearly setting his mates on Lucas Neill? :D I mean, it is an outrage he called off the dogs on the c**t.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #91: Feb 07, 2013 11:24:19 pm
      Sad news to wake up to. An absolute legend who will be missed immensely.

I just hope he decides to take up coaching here if he is offered it   

Quick Reply