Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling

Read 50212 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling
      Reply #759: Feb 12, 2013 01:11:46 pm
      What would happen if we adapted the same strategy as west brom. Would we also have 10 men camped around the box ? if the ball stopped on the half way line, who would dare venture forward to retrieve it ?
       I'm sick that we lost, Pissed off with the Tactics and lack of penetration and imagination, but what were the alternatives. I remember when the great Liverpool sides would take the ball to the oposing defensive line and pass accross it, slowly moving back up field with occasional forward probing balls, and then back again to the spaces between the 18 yd box and half way line, this would draw the oposition out of their defensive shell and we would then get penetrating passes through the gaps, with movement off the ball giving the player in possesion at least 3 options. Now we seem to just go accross our own back 4 and then try and play directly through the crowd of defenders. There seems very little thought, and very little imagination. Our only other out is a 40yd inch perfect pass from Gerrard. But by the time it reaches the target, the cover is there. For all the possesion we have, we need to be a lot more clever. The so say top teams who come out to beat us by playing footy, make for an open game which suits us, but until we learn a strategy that will defeat the bus parkers, things are not going to change any time soon, and its been like this for at least the last 4 seasons.

When there're big buses, we need to go through intensive practice to go pass these buses. I suspect we never practice how to do that in training, evertything is done at random during matchday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #760: Feb 12, 2013 01:22:28 pm
      Daniel Agger ‏@DanielAgger

I agree with most of you. My performance the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game was NOT good enough. It's as simple as that!!!!!

I agree with most of you. My performance the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game was NOT good enough. It's as simple as that!!!!!

But thank you for letting me know:0)))))))
      -------------------------------------------

Jonjo Shelvey ‏@shelveyJ

Love people giving me stick .. When half of people on here haven't got a clue what they're on about.

Spot the difference?

But thank you for letting me know:0)))))))

Jonjo Shelvey ‏@shelveyJ

Love people giving me stick .. When half of people on here haven't got a clue what they're on about.[/i]

Spot the difference?

Says it all really.................. ............
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #761: Feb 12, 2013 02:05:04 pm
      There was one moment in the second half that kind of bothered me. Suarez had the ball and Henderson is making a run right through the middle of the box. Instead of passing the ball, Luis decides to shoot and hits the corner flag. If that was Jordan who shot that poorly, he'd have gotten bitched at in Spanish. But it didn't seem like anyone had a problem with Suarez shooting when the better option was Hendo.

I think in the attacking sense, it was just that kind of night. Absolutely poor decision-making by the boys, poor execution of simple passes (how many times was a little ball to the edge of the box overhit?), and some bad shot selection. We can cope if Suarez is having a bad game, but we can't really cope when Suarez has a bad game alongside Johnson, Enrique, Shelvey, etc. Too many people had bad games last night.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #762: Feb 12, 2013 02:05:23 pm
      I agree Dempsey has the kind of attitude we lack. The thing is it doesn't only count against opposition, but internally you need to have that general who you dare not look in the eye unless you're proud of what you've done. While Stevie is the one you'd look at for this and he does have a certain amount of intimidation about him I don't think he has a nasty streak that adds that element of fear. The nearest I think we  have to that type of personality is Agger.

Along with competition for places, more of these characters that demand pride in performance would go some way in eliminating the type of half arsed performances we saw from Enrique last night. Unfortunately this type of character comes with experience and the path we're taking it might be a while before we see these characters develop. The likes of Kelly or Wisdom look the best candidates in our next generation of players but it's a few years before they become established first-team players and I don't feel there's a lot of patience around.

Agree with everything said and good point about someone that intimidates internally as well.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #763: Feb 12, 2013 03:27:42 pm
      Got a lot of respect for Clarke.  He didn't go crazy when they scored, didn't even smile, just kind of gave a little fist clench.  Class act, we should have kept him on if he would have stayed.

Have a think why isn't he working here now?

He was assistant manager, he isn't now, who is assistant manager, where did he come from? There's your answer!!

Don't know now...did not know back then,..just remembering the gnashing of teeth when people assumed that FSG was going to sell off the best pair of CB's in all of football....like I said amazing how 7 months later it all changes.

Might have something to do with Brendan getting rid of the assistant manager, who had worked with Agger and Skrtel last season, to bring in his mate from Swansea.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #764: Feb 12, 2013 03:30:40 pm
      There was one moment in the second half that kind of bothered me. Suarez had the ball and Henderson is making a run right through the middle of the box. Instead of passing the ball, Luis decides to shoot and hits the corner flag. If that was Jordan who shot that poorly, he'd have gotten bitched at in Spanish. But it didn't seem like anyone had a problem with Suarez shooting when the better option was Hendo.

i think Suarez have earned the right to be selfish time to time. So when Suarez does have a bad game or makes a wrong decision on the pitch. People overlook that because lets be honest he has carried this team whole season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #765: Feb 12, 2013 03:36:13 pm
      How did he take the wrong players off? Shelvey and Hendo where poor tonight (although to be fair, both where playing out of position).

Hendo was the best player on the piTch for us, and they way we collapsed in midfield after he was taken OFF, shows how much hard graft he was doing getting all over the pitch. Slagged him off a few times, but he's been very good in the last few weeks.

Where the F**k was captain marvellous last night, strolling round centre mid all night. Shelvey was poor and wasn't supporting Suarez enough dropping far too deep in the first half, especially as West brom had 2 or 3 players on Suarez every time he got the ball.

We didn't take our chances, fu**ed about too much on the edge of our box and when we needed to defend we were found sadly lacking.

Sums up our a season every time we seem to build up a little head of steam we throw in a performance like last night, Oldham, Aston Villa, Arsenal.

Still plenty more work to be done, be can't see us being in Europe next season unless we start taking the Europa league seriously.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2013 03:50:36 pm by HUYTON RED »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #766: Feb 12, 2013 04:30:03 pm
      i think Suarez have earned the right to be selfish time to time. So when Suarez does have a bad game or makes a wrong decision on the pitch. People overlook that because lets be honest he has carried this team whole season.

He defo has, but if he's going to be selfish, at least hit the target. That was just one example of how the attack in general made a slew of wrong decisions.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #767: Feb 12, 2013 05:03:21 pm
      Reina: wasn't really at fault yesterday, but still been poor.

Always standing at the wrong place. Ball to the left, Reina at the right. Ball to the right, Reina at the left. Get rid of this bum, buy a new goalkeeper.

Enrique: can't play short passes without trying to flick them round the corner with the outside if the boot. Gave away possession on countless occasions last night! Just not Liverpool quality in my opinion!

He's better attacking than defending. He did well as as a winger before.

Agger: don't know what's got into him the last couple of months, I still think he's class but need to up his game fast before we cement a 10th place finish.

When we get rid of Reina, kick him out too. Too bums in one boot.

Carragher: solid as usual but didn't have the legs when Lukaku came on, can't blame the man for the result yesterday!

He's gotten way too slow for the PL.

Johnson: yes, probably does need some competition, but he, like every other player, just seemed to have a really off night. And he's been one of our top performers this season!

Johnson kept fighting till the end, as he always does. Him and Suárez, top performers.

Downing: best player for us yesterday but still nowhere near good enough for this football club!

The "not good enough" part is true...

Lucas: played quite well, did his job and was let down by his teammates who didn't seem to show any desire, looks like he's getting closer to the form he showed last year.

Yeah.

Gerrard: off night, strangely didn't seem that interested, but it's Gerrard so say no more.

"Hey Luis, you know what? We all want you to beat Van Parsley as number one PL scorer. So go ahead, take the penalty! You won it for us, and now it's yours. Go ahead, take it, with my blessing! Score, and make us proud!"

If only...

Henderson & Shelvey: both were extremely poor, but both did at last did have a decent level of effort, but very difficult for two young players when they're out of their natural position.

Yeah.

Suarez: very disappointing from him, could've done a lot more in the game but still looked like the one of the very few who really wanted to Win the game!

Suárez did more than f*cking everyone else combined. Sadly, BR just doesn't know what to do with the lads he has. Our side was a tactical disaster, we looked pathetic. Our defense was sh*te, our attack was chaos. BR is an incompetent bampot. The total opposite of Pep Guardiola.

Be glad we have Suárez, mates. Enjoy him while still can.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #768: Feb 12, 2013 05:14:48 pm
      Suárez did more than f*cking everyone else combined.
      Well that's obviously bull sh*t right there. Henderson worked harder than him, as did Lucas. Sorry, but last night Suarez was poor, and not just by his standards, he was off the boil last night, and has looked leg heavy for about a month now. Needs a break

Sadly, BR just doesn't know what to do with the lads he has.
      I think he does, but he did get it wrong last night - he's also gotten it very right with the same bunch of lads too

Our side was a tactical disaster, we looked pathetic. Our defense was sh*te, our attack was chaos.

Agreed

BR is an incompetent bampot. The total opposite of Pep Guardiola.

Silly thing to say, on both accounts. The first is disrespectful of an LFC manager, the other is pointless because both managers operate under VERY different circumstances - so can't be compared

Be glad we have Suárez, mates.
      We are

We are
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #769: Feb 12, 2013 05:15:09 pm
      Think some people need to realise games like last night happenn in football, even at our peak it happenned to us.

We didnt hit our best last night but still dominated a game in which we missed a peno and there keeper had probably his best game ever. Nights like that happenn where things dont go for you and you get caught on the break.

No denying two very soft goals to concede, think I posted last week that in the summer the majority of our money should go on 2 centre backs who can defend crosses for fun and organise us.

Positives? Lucas looks like hes getting near full fitness.

Big negative is that 4th looks gone and we look 3 or 4 players short of having a squad good enough to get it back next season     
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #770: Feb 12, 2013 05:22:37 pm
      Think fans in these sort of games have a part to play aswell.  very quiet at Anfield last night as fans we have to be up for all games not just shitty/scum/blueshite. If we sing more and make more noise the players may change there attitudes.
      Plus BR should not be playing Shelvey before a 10 million pound forward Borinin.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 992 posts | 68 
      Reply #771: Feb 12, 2013 05:23:06 pm
      Went to the match last night and only just got to a pc to post my comments and i havent been through all the comments so apologies if fans have said what my thoughts are.
      From the start of the match it was strange the way the players were making mistakes and looked jaded.
      I strongly believe it was a big mistake playing jonjo. It wasn't his fault , i don't blame him but the guy started badly and looked like his confidence or what is left of it was draining out of him by the second.
      I think this fed through to the rest of the team. They have had sturridge up there , full of energy and confidence and last night the replacement was a young and tallented footballer who needs to have a break from first team football and get his mojo back.
      Even then they had a boat load of scruffy chances but looked so out of sorts and i put this down to the team selection.
      Playing a young player who has such low confidence like that is not going to do him any good or the team. When he came off last night he looked a broken man with zero confidence.
      That to me is poor man mmanagement.
      Then takes off hendo (crazy) and downing who was not having his worst game.
      Lucas was running around midfield pretty much on his own . I don't know whether this came across on telly but my god that guy ran himself into the ground last night.
      Sucker goals at the end.
      Bad night and i hope the manager learns from this. He needs to.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #772: Feb 12, 2013 05:54:11 pm
      Bad night and i hope the manager learns from this. He needs to.

From what we already know of fsg. I doubt he will have the time to learn.
      Yes it was a bad night, and yes some of our, Usually top performers had a shocker, but we were beaten against the run of play (I know its no excuse) but to start throwing the "get rid" towel about is silly.
      There have been many nights like this, and there will be many more, we dont have to like it, but it will happen. things do need addressing and I have all faith in the manager and club to address those as they deem fit, otherwise I wouldnt be surporting this great club. I would be grabbing a plastic flag and waveing it as though I knew what it meant. YNWA
      Liam_Baggies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #773: Feb 12, 2013 05:59:53 pm
      It will certainly be filed under the category of smash and grab.

From an Albion point of view, I am over the moon with the victory, to complete the double of Liverpool is a good achievement and I think over the 180 we've played this season, we've been quite impressive. Last night, the intentions were on stopping this horrible run of form and making sure that we can have something to build on. Despite us not creating anything of note prior to our goal, I thought we were good with the ball at times and defended with great discipline. The goals were also good, the ball from Chris Brunt and the finish from Gareth McAuley, the second was a counter attack - something we do with great speed and no surprise to see Lukaku take advantage of some lackluster defending.

I thought Liverpool, despite their possession were poor to be honest and I thought we looked comfortable. You moved possession well to slow and enabled us to get into solid defensive positions and see out any attack from yourselves. After seeing the cup game I'm surprised Brendan Rogers nevers used the ability and trickery of Sahin and Assaidi who at The Hawthorns were impressive. Last night was to pedestrian. The two full backs were incredibly wasteful which was a surprise and nobody in the middle effected the game, predominantly because Mulumbu and Claudio Yacob had superb games.

I thought you were incredibly lucky with the penalty and in-fact thought Suarez dived and it was certainly justice when Ben Foster saved the Steven Gerrard spot kick. Foster has one of the games of his life last night, as did Mulumbu, McAuley and Yacob who were all very good as usual.
      cmbutler_
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #774: Feb 12, 2013 06:26:11 pm
      This was my takeaway from the game:  http://sportsinput.com/2013/02/12/liverpool-continue-to-confound/
      I'd appreciate any feedback (apologize for posting this again I put it in the wrong thread the first time)
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #775: Feb 12, 2013 07:25:59 pm
      Misplaced passes, no urgency from the back, the back three playing atrociously, the wrong players picked to start, and the wrong substitutions

There's your perspective
      That's not perspective just pure negative ,what next sack the manager ???

We don't have the strength in depth yet,patience is what is lacking,Brendan will make mistakes but I really think some of the reaction on here is laughable.

Oh at the bottom of your page you quote the great Bob Paisley.something about when lost in a fog you stick together,think you should read that again and think about it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #776: Feb 12, 2013 08:22:59 pm
      Still hurting.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #777: Feb 12, 2013 08:35:42 pm
      Think I am still in denial, I don't even believe we lost that game.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #778: Feb 12, 2013 08:42:03 pm
      He was assistant manager, he isn't now, who is assistant manager, where did he come from? There's your answer!!

Who is ?

I dont know ...honestly ..... I know he took charge of a game ... was it Oldham cos BR had the flu or something but I really dont know his name.

Ha. I find that very revealing .

;D

F...ing funny actually.

New Thread : Who Is The Assistant Manager ?   50 p in from every member .....winner takes all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #779: Feb 12, 2013 09:26:11 pm
      Colin Pascoe.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #780: Feb 12, 2013 09:48:55 pm

We won the match with some very direct play I seem to remember - as in long balls and Pepe throwing the ball out long quickly (not something we see very much of these days).
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #781: Feb 12, 2013 10:00:17 pm

Amazing what the slightest bit of research can do!

Quick Reply