Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling

Read 50199 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling
      Reply #805: Feb 13, 2013 08:42:59 am
      Silly thing? You're a funny guy, mate. But, hey, it's all right. Keep thinking like that and let's just hope there won't be any reasons for anyone to start comparing them in the coming months. "Let's see, I can play under Pep Guardiola, the best manager in the world, or I can play under Bampot Rodgers, who has broccoli in his socks. Whom should I choose?" That sort of comparing.

Oh, and, did you notice I just was disrespectful to the manager again? You respect him all you want, if that's your trip. Me, I won't. I don't think he deserves it.

Let me spell it out for you because you seem to have mixed up two important factors here.

Brendan Rodgers is a decent individual. He's always polite, and conducts himself in a respectful (there's that word again) manner. He's hard working, he's got the club's interests at heart, and everything he does, he does for the betterment of LFC. But let's for a moment say he sucks at his job, let's say he's useless at his job.

So what!? Does that make him earn anyone's disrespect? Of course not. It just means he's not a very good manager. That's got nothing to do with him as a human being, one deserving of respect. Let's say you have a job cleaning floors. Let's say you suck at that. Does that mean you are a lousy human being, worthy of disrespect and derision? Of course not - it just means you suck at cleaning floors.

Nice guy, terrible manager is not the same as nice guy terrible person.

Me funny? Maybe, but I'm not the one who is ignorant of social graces.

Respect.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #806: Feb 13, 2013 10:20:54 am
      Went to the match last night and only just got to a pc to post my comments and i havent been through all the comments so apologies if fans have said what my thoughts are.
      From the start of the match it was strange the way the players were making mistakes and looked jaded.
      I strongly believe it was a big mistake playing jonjo. It wasn't his fault , i don't blame him but the guy started badly and looked like his confidence or what is left of it was draining out of him by the second.
      I think this fed through to the rest of the team. They have had sturridge up there , full of energy and confidence and last night the replacement was a young and tallented footballer who needs to have a break from first team football and get his mojo back.
      Even then they had a boat load of scruffy chances but looked so out of sorts and i put this down to the team selection.
      Playing a young player who has such low confidence like that is not going to do him any good or the team. When he came off last night he looked a broken man with zero confidence.
      That to me is poor man mmanagement.
      Then takes off hendo (crazy) and downing who was not having his worst game.
      Lucas was running around midfield pretty much on his own . I don't know whether this came across on telly but my god that guy ran himself into the ground last night.
      Sucker goals at the end.
      Bad night and i hope the manager learns from this. He needs to.

That really is how I saw the game too bro... Almost exactly my take on the whole match..

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #807: Feb 13, 2013 10:49:57 am
      I'm sorry but we're not all the same. Of course we all have biases but some take it ridiculously far.
      We are all the same in that we have "bias" and we ignore our own hypocrisy because of that "bias". I agree that we are not the same in the respect that we don't all take it "ridiculously far".

You asked why "judgement is different" and I offered an explanation; an explanation which, I thought, was reasonable. You disagree which is fair enough so; what is your theory on "why the judgement is different." if not "bias"?

For example, I've seen people here who were desperately defending Henderson in his first season who aren't even embarrassed at ruling Joe Allen completely out at such an early stage, for example.
      And I have seen folk shitting on Henderson last season (and this) who are more than happy to give Joe Allen more time than they ever gave Henderson. It works both ways Diego. Like I say we all have our "bias" and have a tendency to forget to be even handed in our approach... again; it's human nature: it's in us all.

By the way, let's say I have a little impression that you're talking about me there. I disagree but would be open to discuss any hypocrisy totally open minded. Go on then.
      To be honest Diego I hadn't you in mind at all but I was speaking more about the human psyche, in general, than any individuals. In fact, if you read that excerpt again the only person I mentioned was myself... "we all tend to "ignore" our own hypocrisy when pointing out the failings of others. I try to be consistent but I'm probably as guilty as most." I suppose tho' you do fall under "all" but other than that? No.

Again; you may disagree but (in my opinion) all of us will, at one time or another, wade in the murky waters of hypocrisy. Me as much as anyone.  :-\

It can surely be debated that progress can take longer than that, though.
      Exactly mate; you know it, I know it... let's hope FSG have learned it.

After all FSG are the people who will decide if Brendan gets the time. I would hope that FSG have learned from last season and (irrespective of how hypocritical they might appear) give the boss time to rectify any mistakes. It would be a shame if they didn't take into account all mitigating factors and sacked Brendan on the basis of a poor League showing (in my opinion).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #808: Feb 13, 2013 10:52:07 am
      I'm still trying to understand why when we win a corner at 2-0 down in stoppage time we have TWO players in the west brom area :mad:
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #809: Feb 13, 2013 10:59:27 am
      There are some really intellectual people in this forum which is well appreciated.  Shame I don't have a foreign bank ac to donate to this site.  Shame I don't have any foreign money at all. :-p
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #810: Feb 13, 2013 11:43:28 am
      I tell you what else was pretty clear to see at the game.. From minute one, time wasting???.. Them, the ref then us??.. The ball would go out and nobody would chase the ***t?? People were strolling around, the ref was ambling across to situations and we then joined in with the general mood set by THEM!!.. I looked at the clock at 35 mins and it "Felt" like nobody had sprinted yet..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #811: Feb 13, 2013 01:05:12 pm
      We are all the same in that we have "bias" and we ignore our own hypocrisy because of that "bias". I agree that we are not the same in the respect that we don't all take it "ridiculously far".

You asked why "judgement is different" and I offered an explanation; an explanation which, I thought, was reasonable. You disagree which is fair enough so; what is your theory on "why the judgement is different." if not "bias"?
      And I have seen folk shitting on Henderson last season (and this) who are more than happy to give Joe Allen more time than they ever gave Henderson. It works both ways Diego. Like I say we all have our "bias" and have a tendency to forget to be even handed in our approach... again; it's human nature: it's in us all.
      To be honest Diego I hadn't you in mind at all but I was speaking more about the human psyche, in general, than any individuals. In fact, if you read that excerpt again the only person I mentioned was myself... "we all tend to "ignore" our own hypocrisy when pointing out the failings of others. I try to be consistent but I'm probably as guilty as most." I suppose tho' you do fall under "all" but other than that? No.

Again; you may disagree but (in my opinion) all of us will, at one time or another, wade in the murky waters of hypocrisy. Me as much as anyone.  :-\
      Exactly mate; you know it, I know it... let's hope FSG have learned it.

After all FSG are the people who will decide if Brendan gets the time. I would hope that FSG have learned from last season and (irrespective of how hypocritical they might appear) give the boss time to rectify any mistakes. It would be a shame if they didn't take into account all mitigating factors and sacked Brendan on the basis of a poor League showing (in my opinion).

Ok, that's fair enough mate, I just think there's a lot more negativity about our league position this season than last season.

Last season we were unlucky and 8th didn't translate how we are playing - this season Rodgers isn't doing well and the league position is all that matters.

As for the difference of judgement, indeed you offered a good explanation. As I said to FOAR though, I would like people to think more about it. And that's also why, when I thought you might be talking about myself, I was totally open to debate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #812: Feb 13, 2013 01:09:51 pm
      Ok, that's fair enough mate, I just think there's a lot more negativity about our league position this season than last season.

Possibly because our league form only really dropped off when we were progressing in the cups.

If we were getting ready to go to Wembley next week then I feel many of us might be a bit more forgiving with the league form because as it stands we appear to be going backwards as opposed to progressing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,121 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #813: Feb 13, 2013 01:13:39 pm

Last season we were unlucky and 8th didn't translate how we are playing - this season Rodgers isn't doing well and the league position is all that matters.

So 8th is fine under Kenny but under Rodgers its unacceptable?

We were unlucky under Kenny but we have had all the luck in the world this season?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #814: Feb 13, 2013 01:24:39 pm
      So 8th is fine under Kenny but under Rodgers its unacceptable?

We were unlucky under Kenny but we have had all the luck in the world this season?

That's actually the opposite of what I mean...

Possibly because our league form only really dropped off when we were progressing in the cups.

If we were getting ready to go to Wembley next week then I feel many of us might be a bit more forgiving with the league form because as it stands we appear to be going backwards as opposed to progressing.

Fair enough, but assume if we finish 7th this season, will it be progress?
      Or if we finish 8th just like last season (or worse), but end up winning the UEL, is it progress?

All the talk about managers needing time but then we see pretty fast conclusions about a guy most of us hardly knew before...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #815: Feb 13, 2013 01:30:35 pm
      Fair enough, but assume if we finish 7th this season, will it be progress?
      Or if we finish 8th just like last season (or worse), but end up winning the UEL, is it progress?

All the talk about managers needing time but then we see pretty fast conclusions about a guy most of us hardly knew before...

I always look at the season as a whole mate and had plenty of debates on here with people who said Kenny failed and used only the league position as a basis for the argument.

But as I said in another thread as it stands right now we appear to be going backwards but any progress can only be really judged when the season is over.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #816: Feb 13, 2013 01:32:16 pm
      The dust has settled

The gaffer made the wrong selections, some players performed below par. Two things we can put right in the future. The faith bit comes in believing the gaffer will put those things right. In the past we've seen him learn from mistakes.

Onward
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #817: Feb 13, 2013 01:38:59 pm
      I always look at the season as a whole mate and had plenty of debates on here with people who said Kenny failed and used only the league position as a basis for the argument.

But as I said in another thread as it stands right now we appear to be going backwards but any progress can only be really judged when the season is over.

Totally agree mate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #818: Feb 13, 2013 02:30:02 pm

Providing we don't get relegated mouse there is not a hope in hell that FSG will dispatch BR, they appointed him because they saw in Brendan a manager willing to work under the constraints they knew would be applied.
      Unlike a previous appointment when they were apparently affected by ''supporter power'' the decision to install Brendan was entirely down to them consequently any F**k ups are also down to them.
      The owners will be liable for any contract anomalies vis a vis Brendan vacating his office prematurely and of course a signing fee for the new man.
      All of which tells me BR will have to do something of outstanding seriousness to get the bullet in the foreseeable future.   
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #819: Feb 13, 2013 03:21:41 pm
      Tactically naive my arse, you're a mod on here and fair enough fella but you do talk some utter bollocks sometimes.

One of a number of poor posts from me that night, allowing emotion and disappointment to turn me into a bit of a cock. Humble apologies mate.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #820: Feb 13, 2013 04:12:47 pm
      Joe Allen didn't play, perhaps why we lost. :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #821: Feb 13, 2013 04:27:24 pm

One of a number of poor posts from me that night, allowing emotion and disappointment to turn me into a bit of a cock. Humble apologies mate.

Wouldn't worry how a lot of us feel after a defeat, we let emotions cloud what we want to say.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #822: Feb 13, 2013 04:50:47 pm
      Nope, that's not negative, that's being a realist and seeing things for what they are. Else go back and prove that I am wrong

Sack the manager? No, that's an extreme thing to even suggest buddy. You know, it is possible to review a match adn the performances of all concerned, without wanting anyone sacked. It's called a review.
      Patience is what I have. You really do assume too much
      Stick around, you ain't seen nothing yet

Listen 'wise one', you are talking complete tripe. Trying to label me as someone with no patience and who is looking to get the gaffer sacked. Let me get you up to speed, I'm fully behind the gaffer, always have been, and I've regularly stuck up for him whilst others have wielded the axe. Not saying that to make others think I'm some 'cool supporter'. I don't give a crap about those titles, I'm just putting you right, because your appraisal of my support is so off the mark, it's mad.

Fair enough and didn't want to offend ,just said it as I saw it and didn't think we were as bad as some made out ,really didn't.

Just gets on my tits when fans think its going to be a quick process of hitting the top four.

Brendan's only been in the job 6 months and it's going to be at least two seasons IMO till we hit that goal,hope I'm wrong and it's quicker just can't see it.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #823: Feb 13, 2013 05:07:43 pm

Fair play to you Mick - not directed at me but I did notice and thought seemed out of character.

Like HR says we all get the blood up sometimes.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #824: Feb 13, 2013 07:45:14 pm
      Brendan's only been in the job 6 months and it's going to be at least two seasons IMO till we hit that goal,hope I'm wrong and it's quicker just can't see it.

3 Year Contract.
      Yawning and boring     or    inspirational and all conquering.

Its enough time to make things happen. In the meantime we sit on our hands and          w     a    i    t .
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #825: Feb 13, 2013 08:25:29 pm
      Bit late but did see the game and it was pretty soul-destroying stuff. Most disappointed I've been this season bar none. Can't think of anyone who came out of it well. Jonno and Enrique were surprising in how poor they were, being generally good. Hendo was quiet, Luis too. And SG missing the peno (and that was a soft peno to get), argh. Borini for me is in one of the most ineffectual players I've ever seen play for LFC. Shelvey was poor, as was Sterling who can look like a boy swatted away by men. Painful to watch, you just knew when you saw the caption come up for attempts at goal 14-0 to LFC, that sh*t was going to happen, and it did. And have been saying for a while that we are sh*te at set peices, defending and taking, and we were again. Christ, how hard is it to at least hit the target from a free-kick from 20-25 yards!? The next game can't come quick enough to get that one out of the system.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #826: Feb 13, 2013 08:58:53 pm
      Bit late but did see the game and it was pretty soul-destroying stuff. Most disappointed I've been this season bar none.

You must have missed the Villa game then....  Similar results, but we were handily beaten by a team fighting off relegation (Villa) as opposed to a team fighting for a top half finish (WBA).  Also, Lukaku's goal at the end of the game gave the scoreline a more flattering look for the Baggies.  On the contrary, Gerrard's late goal in the Villa game gave the scoreline an unmerited hint of respectability for us.... 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #827: Feb 13, 2013 09:48:21 pm
      You must have missed the Villa game then....  Similar results, but we were handily beaten by a team fighting off relegation (Villa) as opposed to a team fighting for a top half finish (WBA).  Also, Lukaku's goal at the end of the game gave the scoreline a more flattering look for the Baggies.  On the contrary, Gerrard's late goal in the Villa game gave the scoreline an unmerited hint of respectability for us.... 

Yeah, Villa was a low point for sure. But for me the Villa game was the few good body punches along with some pretty hard jabs, but the West Brom game was the right hook and a nasty kick to the balls, followed by dribbling on the canvas :(

Quick Reply