Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate

Read 32295 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #437: Feb 14, 2013 09:31:19 pm
      Perfectly summed up DLS.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #438: Feb 14, 2013 09:35:19 pm
      Liverpool had 46% possession against Zenit,
      First time they have been under 50% in the Europa League this season.

( Source: Opta)

Tika Taka    Tick Tock   

We would have been silly to play our usual passing game onthat surface, particularly around the back 4.

Our passing had nothing to do with there goals 1 was a cracker 1 was poor defending by 3 players
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #439: Feb 14, 2013 09:39:16 pm
      how many goals have we conceded from 20-30 yards in the Europa League? Seems every game the other team score a beauty.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #440: Feb 14, 2013 09:43:41 pm
      Can anyone clue me into how good a side Zenit are? I know they were Russian Premier League champs last season and in the Champions League this year, but how are they as a team?

Good pedigree but they have been struggling this year and they also have just come off the Russian winter layoff so you would have thought they'd have been rusty.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #441: Feb 14, 2013 10:15:57 pm

BR Post Match

"There's no doubt the supporters will give us a chance [at Anfield], and the next goal is very important.
      If we get it, it opens up the tie but we have to make sure that we are secure as a group and if we are then we can create chances."

If he uses that word one more f**king time ...... its getting to be OCD with him.  Its doing my head in.

thats just it mate... I like BR but his post game interviews or the stuff he spits out inbetween games is driving me nuts.  Add this to 'near perfect away performance'  and it is over the top.  Yes managers have to put a spin to things but c'mon lets make it slightly believeable.

do want to point out this article on liverpoolfc.com   http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-we-have-a-fighting-chance '...What gives us great hope is that we created enough tonight to win the game. The atmosphere at Anfield will be fantastic - as it always is - and the fans will get behind the players..'

this last part from BR is true.  if there is ANYTHING you can say is consistent about LFC this season.. is us, the fans... we will support them no matter how tough and bleak it is.  But BR, we are hurting man..... get your squad right, get your players motivated and most importantly WIN the darn game!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #442: Feb 14, 2013 10:22:49 pm
      Don't you mean group . :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #443: Feb 14, 2013 10:25:01 pm

Don't even start mate.

Read enough about the group tonight.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #444: Feb 14, 2013 10:25:55 pm

yes, thanks for the correction.

Darnit BR... get your GROUP right!  :laugh:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #445: Feb 14, 2013 10:46:13 pm
      Unlucky lads..

Another performance that shows where we are nowadays.

Log off for me.

Nothing more to add to this.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #446: Feb 14, 2013 11:18:13 pm
      Had 3 of Louis chance gone in, we know it would have been a different story. as the wind would have been knocked out of their sails and not the other way around. They probably wouldn't have come back from 3 - 0 down but thats another story. We can't continue with the likes of Allen, Henderson, Downing or even Stirling as first choice players. Three just not good enough, too lightweight and short of ideas or ability. Stirling should still be getting nursed into the first team, and not be looked upon as a first choice. He is already stating to look burned out and so predictable. because of his lack of impact, he's losing confidence. As for   'When the youngsters come through we'll have a great side'  by the time they come good, the current spine of senior players will be gone, and we'llbe back to square one. We need to sahip out the lightweights, ship out the marginal players, keep the spine and the quality youngsters, and get some seriously decent hardened pros in in the summer, or I think we will lose the likes of Louis, Carras gone, Stevie has got 2 or 3 seasons left, Pepe will be gone looking for C.L. footy, and the likes of Johnson, Lucas, Enrique, Skrtel and agger will follow like rats leaving a sinking ship. We are currently hanging on to our 'historical status' by our fingertips. I can't see us getting any better with what we've currently got on board, I just hope Coutinho brings something more palletable to the table. At the moment we are relying on too few players, to carry the rest through. Don't think the massive world wide fan base will get us through this, only quality players will do it, and FSG need to realise quick, we need experience to dominate the center of the park, not potential. And yes, sturridge has made a difference up front, but where is the consistent service coming from ? Not often from the mid field as you would expect.  We need established players before its too late.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #447: Feb 14, 2013 11:30:58 pm
      Bloody hell! What a valentine day, eh.

I'm looking forward to the game, then everything turn upside down.

Now the week end are spoiled. If we lose again on sunday against Swansea?

Won't know what to do then.  :o
      redno7
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #448: Feb 14, 2013 11:39:30 pm
      Good pedigree but they have been struggling this year and they also have just come off the Russian winter layoff so you would have thought they'd have been rusty.

they're sh*t but we were shi**er.

Doomgoth
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #449: Feb 14, 2013 11:42:37 pm
      Greets from Zenit ultra 2 all Liverpool fans, I just want to say thank you for the beautiful game today, you played well and I was rly glad to see such a well-supported and respected club on our stadium.It was great for me 2 see Steve G, Carra, Pepe Reina and surely our loving Martin is St.P today=)

Thank you lads for a real football show, and lets f**k up all this fabricated stories which were published in British press and other stupid political ravings.

The main thing is that we all love football.
      Good luck 2 all, want 2 see Liverpool and Zenit in CL group stage, Europe League is not for us=)

PS:Sorry for bad English.
      With love from both St.P and Finland
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #450: Feb 15, 2013 12:18:05 am
      Liverpool had 46% possession against Zenit,
      First time they have been under 50% in the Europa League this season.

Didn't even win the passing then!!!
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #451: Feb 15, 2013 12:34:07 am
      Since Sturidge got sidelined, our attack has become weak.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #452: Feb 15, 2013 12:36:43 am
      See today I realized our midfield is really even worse than what we think it is. After our game I was watching Inter then Dordmunt and apart from Gerrard I'd take any of their midfielders for any of ours. Not the strikers, not really the defenders, but the midfielders.

I think we have some good passers of the ball that just cannot boss a midfield. Lucas is not back to his old self, and if he ever will he's pretty far from getting there yet. Then if we want some bite we have 0 options.

I was pretty happy with the Coutinho signing, but I really think a good DM or even a CM that gets stuck in the Gerrard mould would've been 10x as useful. At the moment he'd get straight into our team, no questions asked.

I don't know if this makes any sense since I'm so F***ing frustrated by our performances this week.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #453: Feb 15, 2013 12:40:04 am
      An aside from the game

Lets hope the travelling reds are ok out there. C**t of a place and Ive heard they have been attacking the reds during the day

Safe home reds

Heard the same mate, fair few stragglers getting picked off by larger groups.

Fully expecting a bit of Napoli style nasty atmosphere next week, just hope the players can turn up though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #454: Feb 15, 2013 12:42:19 am
      Don't worry kids.

Two home games coming up.

Easy.  Nobody beats us at Anfield.  Remember the way we go gung ho at teams and play real attacking football at home.

Come on, it's not like we play two holding midfielders and try and pass the ball to death in the centre of the park or anything, before completely falling asleep any time crosses a ball into our box.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #455: Feb 15, 2013 12:45:43 am
      After watching tonight's match I am really not looking forward to travelling to Liverpool for the return leg next Thursday. They best seriously pull their finger out and perform better. Sturridge not being in the team can be no excuse, he has only played for us since January - the season started in August. We must surely have the ability to win games without him!?

We need players who are willing to fight for the cause and in most of our team I just really don't see it. The only people as of late who are willing to do it are Johnson Carragher, Enrique, Gerrard, Sturridge and Suarez (who seems to have had a couple of terrible games but still shows a fighting spirit). We seriously miss players like Kuyt, Mascherano, Hyypia and Bellamy without a doubt who all had fighting spirit along with the talent.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #456: Feb 15, 2013 12:50:43 am
      Don't worry kids.

Two home games coming up.

Easy.  Nobody beats us at Anfield.  Remember the way we go gung ho at teams and play real attacking football at home.

Come on, it's not like we play two holding midfielders and try and pass the ball to death in the centre of the park or anything, before completely falling asleep any time crosses a ball into our box.

It wasn't even set pieces that did for us tonight, but I F***ing hate the way at the minute we go a goal down and you can see the player's heads physically drop, we just went to pieces.

To be honest I don't even fancy us to overturn that next week. Still didn't envisage the ragtag team we had in 91/92 overturning Auxerre, but we did so you never know!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #457: Feb 15, 2013 02:17:00 am
      Our midfiled has been a problame all along. We lost Masch and Alonso but we never really replaced them with quality players. What we have in midfield is either too inexperience or too lightweigh. We need someone like Sunderland's Sessegnon a real menacing player that can create something somehow. How many times we've seen our attack coming from midfield indicates we have a real problem there. Apart from Stevie, no one can really start attacking down the middle, it has always been the easy oftion of knocking the ball to the wingers which makes us predictable. Hope Countinho can change all that.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #458: Feb 15, 2013 04:01:13 am
      I think the confidence level in the squad is low now no matter how hard Brendan talks back.It's either going to be another classic come from behind European night victory for us or a devastating reality that our season could be over with nothing to play for with around 2 months of the season left! :(
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #459: Feb 15, 2013 04:10:58 am
      Another toothless display by the reds, even the form of  saurez  has reached an all time low.He seems to be in some form of mental fog. Now two games with no goals. these so called stars have shorter and shorter time frames of top form. Would question liverpools drug testing policy, because the inconsistencies in form are not acceptable. Allen who was promised as some kind of super star is now a super flop.We see big drops in form of players who recently signed rich contracts.   

Quick Reply