Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate

Read 32705 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: LIVE: Zenit v Liverpool
      Reply #345: Feb 14, 2013 06:57:36 pm
      I thought we gave away territory much to easily all through the game. Reminded me of the bad days under Hodgson the way we fell back every time they gained possession. We need to be a bit more assertive, braver and try to hold the midfield instead of surrendering it so easily.

I thought in the end we were lucky to only lose by two (ignoring the Suarez misses) as they were too intricate in the final 3rd. Could have been a lot worse if they had been more direct once they were infront.

I just wonder if the way we play tires us out more than the opposition. We have conceeded a lot of goals in the last 15 minutes this season.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #346: Feb 14, 2013 06:58:07 pm
      The problem is our forwards haven't scored, even though they had open goals almost.  So would you be happy with 0-0?  We SHOULD have been comfortably ahead but we ended up conceding a scorcher and then quickly after a howler.

Ah f**k, FT 2-0 to them.

absolutely not... i'm pissed like everyone else here.  i was so looking forward to this game due to our horrible wba match... ironically,,,, we lost by the same score... ahhhhhh

my point was that yes suarez and other fwds let us down in the scoring dept.  but our defense let us down at the end... which is sad since they played so well before.  and whats up with always giving up that easy 2nd goal?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Re: Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #347: Feb 14, 2013 06:59:25 pm
      I thought we gave away territory much to easily all through the game. Reminded me of the bad days under Hodgson the way we fell back every time they gained possession. We need to be a bit more assertive, braver and try to hold the midfield instead of surrendering it so easily.

I thought in the end we were lucky to only lose by two (ignoring the Suarez misses) as they were too intricate in the final 3rd. Could have been a lot worse if they had been more direct once they were infront.

I just wonder if the way we play tires us out more than the opposition. We have conceeded a lot of goals in the last 15 minutes this season.

Agreed mate, we backed off way to much especially with Hulk's goal and we weren't agressive at all.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #348: Feb 14, 2013 06:59:48 pm

Not sure how they could get tired out when they are constantly dropping back and not chasing balls.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #349: Feb 14, 2013 07:00:27 pm
      Rodgers is a David Brent c**t with the tactical nous of a gnat.

No, I'm not on about chances? I've just had enough of Rodgers. I never wanted him to manage the club, and I still don't.

Maybe we should shop at Neto for our centre backs too...

I'll get my coat.

You grab your coat and I will hold the door open for you.

Calling the manager a c**t....ah the ole YNWA spirit.....legendary!
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #350: Feb 14, 2013 07:00:37 pm
      Our chances of progress look bleak indeed, but regardless we will need to have a proper go at Anfield.  BR will need to put out a more positive team than he did tonight, so hopefully we see Borini on for Allen and more attacking intent.  We will need an early goal to get our confidence up and induce some nerves in the Zenit players.  Will need a rocking atmosphere as well to motivate the lads!! 

Some are saying we need a miracle, but we only need 2 goals.  Istanbul was a miracle, we just need to put in a competent and confident performance and we can turn this around!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #351: Feb 14, 2013 07:01:12 pm
      I cannot see the present Liverpool side pulling back a 2-0 deposit at home, where we look so vulnerable at the back. Feels like the season is over with just pride to play for.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #352: Feb 14, 2013 07:01:57 pm
      Not over till its its over.

Bring on next week .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #353: Feb 14, 2013 07:02:41 pm
      Not sure how they could get tired out when they are constantly dropping back and not chasing balls.

Try running backwards for 90 minutes mate :)
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #354: Feb 14, 2013 07:03:21 pm
      Self destruct for 3 minutes and thats the outcome, every time we concede we panic for a few minutes after it. We were comfy up to tha point.

Few quitters will no doubt think its over and have a good cry about it and moan about the manager and 3 or 4 players. Well lets hope they aren't at Anfield next week.

Long way to go here. Get a proper Anfield atmosphere behind the boys next week and see what happens.

Lets not forget we are free this weekend so rest for all the squad to be 100% fit for the 2nd leg.

Ill bet now we go through

We are the only Prem fixture this weekend, we play Swansea Sunday. That will be difficult.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #355: Feb 14, 2013 07:04:06 pm
      Try running backwards for 90 minutes mate :)

I used to play basketball, I ran backwards and forwards for almost that long. I don't think fitness should be an excuse at this point.

We either don't have the skill, don't have the work ethic or don't have the right management (or any combination of the three) but I don't think it's fitness.

And by management I don't mean manager...just mean team selection, setup, etc....
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #356: Feb 14, 2013 07:04:57 pm
      Unlucky lads..

Another performance that shows where we are nowadays.

Log off for me.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #357: Feb 14, 2013 07:05:16 pm
      We are too stereotyped, always attack down the flanks. Teams know how to press us to the touchline and we don'thave skilful enough players to get us further and we just surrender posession. Could it be we simply don't have good enough midfileders to unlock defences or that BR tactics is too one dimensional?
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #358: Feb 14, 2013 07:05:16 pm
      Eh?  We had three sitters that went begging.  What are you on about not conceding?  We should have been ot of sight.

We played for the draw. Yes, Luis missed some great chances but since when have we put chances away consistently? That wasn't an aberration.

In any case, Reina had to make a few huge saves of his own to deny them in the first half. They were a danger to score throughout because we invited them to by hoofing it forward every chance we got, handing them possession instead of keeping it and taking the pressure off of our defense.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #359: Feb 14, 2013 07:05:37 pm
      going out the spend some time with the little lady now... but wanted to post this before i left

I am sick and tired of the BR excuses and the players saying they need to improve in interviews between the games.  its all fluff now.  I'm going to guess BR is going to say that we deserved more... that we had chances.. that we showed fight...   

BR i like what you have implemented in lfc so far... but you have to grow yourself... stop saying you will get a reaction from the players and actually do it.  today is yet another reason why we have alot of work to do before we can challenge for top 4

YNWA ...our players and manager should revisit the meaning of this.  Dig deep, never give up and play with your heart!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #360: Feb 14, 2013 07:06:39 pm
      I used to play basketball, I ran backwards and forwards for almost that long. I don't think fitness should be an excuse at this point.

We either don't have the skill, don't have the work ethic or don't have the right management (or any combination of the three) but I don't think it's fitness.

And by management I don't mean manager...just mean team selection, setup, etc....

Probably not mate ..... I'm just grasping at straws at the moment.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #361: Feb 14, 2013 07:08:03 pm
      We had plenty of chances to win this tonight, we didn't take them then concede 2 goals in quick succession.

They have no reason to do anything at Anfield other than get 11 players behind the ball, ride the storm and go through.

I took the week off work so I could watch this tonight, what a waste of f**king time.

I need a  :food-smiley-005: then a  :'( followed by  :hug:

Well and truly fu**ed off with the way this season is going!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #362: Feb 14, 2013 07:08:03 pm
      Last 5 Games Goals conceded:
      2-3-2-2-2

Pure sh*te.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #363: Feb 14, 2013 07:08:29 pm
      I'm thouroughly depressed right now.

Should have had 1 or 2 early on but once they scored we crumbled yet again and the mentality of the players, management and owners at the club is nowhere near good enough at the minute.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #364: Feb 14, 2013 07:09:31 pm
      Couldn't watch the match but it sounds like old news by what people were saying during the 90 minutes. Lots of chances wasted, poor defending, resulting in a 2-0 defeat.

Hugely disappointed. Hopefully the lads will be up for it at Anfield, we have a mountain to climb.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #365: Feb 14, 2013 07:09:45 pm
      Probably not mate ..... I'm just grasping at straws at the moment.

Don't think you are alone on that one. Really puzzling how seemingly less talented teams (not necessarily Zenit, just in general) seem to be able to play more consistent week in and out. We seem to really have some peaks and valleys.

Frustrating.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #366: Feb 14, 2013 07:10:15 pm
      Just had texts from 2 of my brothers who are season ticket holders, both saying much the same, if they knew we were writing this season off they'd have saved their money.
      One of them was made redundant 3 months ago, and is really struggling, the football is his escape. It makes me sick to see the lack of effort by some players and the manager who thinks playing good football is OK even when we get beat.
      How anyone can describe this as progress is beyond me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #367: Feb 14, 2013 07:11:23 pm
      Brendan - "near perfect away performance"

not for me Brendan sorry mate

Quick Reply