Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

How would you re-shape in the summer?

Read 11094 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Re: How would you re-shape in the summer?
      Reply #23: Feb 17, 2013 01:09:38 am
      Walk on.. Liverpool ready to bin up to five first-teamers to make room for new signings

Reina, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson, Downing, Carroll and Coates face the axe as Rodgers hopes to fund signings - and avoid selling star man Suarez

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is ­planning a ­summer clear-out as part of phase two of his rebuild.

The Irishman could dump up to five of his current first-team squad to make space for new signings.

Goalkeeper Pepe Reina, defenders Martin Skrtel and Jose Enrique, and midfielders Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing are all in danger of the axe.

All five started Liverpool’s 2-0 Europa League defeat at Zenit St ­Petersburg, which underlined the fact more changes need to be made.

Liverpool will also let ­Sebastian Coates leave and look for a buyer for ­Andy Carroll, who has been on loan at West Ham.

Rodgers will hope the sales will help him fend off bids for Luis Suarez – and sign more players of his own.

An Anfield source told Sunday Mirror Sport: “The manager has now ­imprinted his style of play on the club, but next season will be more important in terms of results.

“There are a lot of talented players at Liverpool, but the club needs people with strong mentalities who can ­perform under pressure.”

Rodgers will concentrate on his defence.

Jamie ­Carragher ­is retiring and he may also look to replace the struggling Skrtel.

The Slovakian could be offered a move back to former club Zenit in a £12million deal, which would allow Rodgers to bid for Swansea captain Ashley Williams.

Reina’s rush of blood cost Liverpool victory against ­Manchester City and has ­intensified Rodgers’ search for a new keeper.

The Spaniard, who has been at Liverpool since summer 2005, may also decide it’s time for him to move on.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-summer-clear-out-cards-1713215
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #24: Feb 17, 2013 06:38:40 am
      Walk on.. Liverpool ready to bin up to five first-teamers to make room for new signings

Reina, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson, Downing, Carroll and Coates face the axe as Rodgers hopes to fund signings - and avoid selling star man Suarez

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is ­planning a ­summer clear-out as part of phase two of his rebuild.

The Irishman could dump up to five of his current first-team squad to make space for new signings.

Goalkeeper Pepe Reina, defenders Martin Skrtel and Jose Enrique, and midfielders Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing are all in danger of the axe.

All five started Liverpool’s 2-0 Europa League defeat at Zenit St ­Petersburg, which underlined the fact more changes need to be made.

Liverpool will also let ­Sebastian Coates leave and look for a buyer for ­Andy Carroll, who has been on loan at West Ham.

Rodgers will hope the sales will help him fend off bids for Luis Suarez – and sign more players of his own.

An Anfield source told Sunday Mirror Sport: “The manager has now ­imprinted his style of play on the club, but next season will be more important in terms of results.

“There are a lot of talented players at Liverpool, but the club needs people with strong mentalities who can ­perform under pressure.”

Rodgers will concentrate on his defence.

Jamie ­Carragher ­is retiring and he may also look to replace the struggling Skrtel.

The Slovakian could be offered a move back to former club Zenit in a £12million deal, which would allow Rodgers to bid for Swansea captain Ashley Williams.

Reina’s rush of blood cost Liverpool victory against ­Manchester City and has ­intensified Rodgers’ search for a new keeper.

The Spaniard, who has been at Liverpool since summer 2005, may also decide it’s time for him to move on.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-summer-clear-out-cards-1713215
      No way wr should sell hendo. If br keeps allen and sell hendo then something is really wrong. Hendo can play a number of positions and is far more creative than allen. Even in the last season hendo played some nice through balls. Allen cannot play AM coz he don't have the creativity ir flair.  He can't play DM due to his lack if strength. He coukd be useful when we are 3 or 4 goals up and opposition has given up the game.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #25: Feb 17, 2013 06:58:04 am
      No way Henderson goes anywhere with the way he has played. The others I could definitely see happening. BR seems to have grown less and less patient with the players that are struggling to adapt. I would like to keep Skrtel as he could be great to have as an option at CB and has shown he can be good at times. He isn't elite I don't think but is great as a spot starter. Enrique doesn't quite have the skill set for the system although he is a very good player. Downing is a squad player at best. Reina needs to BR replaced as much as I hate to say it.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #26: Feb 17, 2013 08:29:44 am
      Why would we sell our only first team squad left back? Strange.

I could possibly see the rest of them on their way though I hope Reina doesn't go in the end, I can't think who we'd get that could replace him straight away.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #27: Feb 17, 2013 09:26:59 am
      Strange that for the last 3 months Brendan, Stevie and Luis have been saying to the press that we need more experience in the squad so it would make so much sense to sell the majority of the experience we do have  :roll:

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #28: Feb 17, 2013 09:48:03 am

Henderson is f**king rubbish just because he runs 20 miles every game doesn't mean he's any good
      He could run 100 for me every game he'd still be f**king rubbish he couldn't get a game at Reading or West Ham
      And Brendan's love child Allen is not much better.
      We need players who could into Chelsea & Utd teams not players who would struggle getting a game at Stoke ffs
      We need to get a f**king grip and sharpish
      I don't even want to go this afternoon & that my friends says it all f**king depressing..
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #29: Feb 17, 2013 10:02:06 am
      Cheer up AndyMac please. 
      My part to do something good would be to encourage others to be more positive and get behind the team.  All the doom and gloom faces will lead to more doomsday device today.  So do your part and keep everyone lively and breathe great balls of positivity at Anfield tonight.  We need the goals we need to stick together and make sure the players appreciate this and will reward us with a few goals today.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #30: Feb 17, 2013 10:05:45 am
      I don't even want to go this afternoon & that my friends says it all f**king depressing..

That says more about you personally than the state of the team.

As for the article...
      Selling Enrique would be a big mistake. He went off the boil in the second half of last season but has otherwise been excellent and offers the kind of versatility and attacking threat on the left that Johnson offers on the right. We'd struggle to replace him with a better player.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: Feb 17, 2013 10:13:34 am
      Sorry for being miserable f**ker but you have to be honest don't you.
      I will be as supportive as i always am today at the game but i really am
      becoming quite down about the state of our great club.
      Everybody who knows me knows how i feel about LFC so you can imagine
      how many piss taking txts i receive from mates thru the land who don't love LFC

While i normally take the banter on the chin & give as good as i get the last few
      weeks have taken their toll i'm afraid.
      We have blown 4th & we have blown UEFA in a fortnight & i for one am pretty
      fu**ed off about it.
      We got rid of Kenny for this & believe me it hurts
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #32: Feb 17, 2013 10:14:45 am
      Don't think we do need a clear out TBH. we have already lost a lot of players.

We need to add 3 or 4 experienced players to what is a very young squad.

1) Carra is retiring so we need a quality CB to replace him.

2) All of our backup Full backs are young, so at lest 1 more experienced player there.

3) We only really have lucas as a holding midfielder, so a real good experienced backup for him.

4) And another experienced striker \ forward, as seen this week if luis or sturridge get injured we are relying too heavily on youth.

Saying all that our young guys are getting great experience his year, another season or 2 and they will have played a 100 odd games, which will realistically be the time we can expect us to be challenging for the league and champions league.

We will probably let go any players who are 23 ish. and don't look like breaking into the 1st team.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #33: Feb 17, 2013 10:50:09 am
      Bring Carroll back,make him as an option,a weapon in case a change of style of play is needed during a draw or losing game to pump long balls to him and Carroll lay it back to someone to score cause last season we had goalpost problems,this season shortage strikers problems and not sure yet what could be the problem next season.That will also save us millions rather than paying another 11mil for another ineffective Italian striker.Let Suso run the rule in midfield next season and make Kelly the replacement for Skrtel or Agger as 1st choice centre-back.Buy Joe Hart (1st choice) or Iker Casillas (2nd choice) to replace Reina if Reina leaves.Buy Christian Eriksen and buy Pedro of Barcelona,yeah!that should do it for now... ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #34: Feb 17, 2013 11:27:39 am
      Selling half the first team could be a disaster and we need to add two or three quality players to this squad not rip it apart.

I hope this article is bollocks.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #35: Feb 17, 2013 11:57:34 am
      As odd as it might sound I wouldn't be against a clear out, the mentality of the squad needs breaking and that would do that for sure. While I criticise Brendan, 50% of the blame has to sit with the players also and they've let us down as much as the manger has this season.

The worry I'd have is the manager's track record so far with signings isn't great so to trust him with such a massive clear out would be beyond bold, it would be a serious gamble. Personally I've always been quite happy to take the odd risk, I know it would scare the living hell out of some people though, some people just don't like change.

Players like Downing, Henderson and Enrique have not given me anything to really believe they're full blooded Liverpool players and if we sold them I wouldn't look back on their careers thinking what might of been. Reina I'm more personally attached to, think he could of went while he was at the top of his game but decided to stay for the right reasons, I've more loyalty built up with the likes of him. Skrtel, again he's had one season of exceptional form and the others all very inconsistent, sometimes sentimentality can be an anchor to success so if we were to attempt a huge transition in the summer I wouldn't personally object.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #36: Feb 17, 2013 12:01:37 pm
      As odd as it might sound I wouldn't be against a clear out, the mentality of the squad needs breaking and that would do that for sure. While I criticise Brendan, 50% of the blame has to sit with the players also and they've let us down as much as the manger has this season.

The worry I'd have is the manager's track record so far with signings isn't great so to trust him with such a massive clear out would be beyond bold, it would be a serious gamble. Personally I've always been quite happy to take the odd risk, I know it would scare the living hell out of some people though, some people just don't like change.

Players like Downing, Henderson and Enrique have not given me anything to really believe they're full blooded Liverpool players and if we sold them I wouldn't look back on their careers thinking what might of been. Reina I'm more personally attached to, think he could of went while he was at the top of his game but decided to stay for the right reasons, I've more loyalty built up with the likes of him. Skrtel, again he's had one season of exceptional form and the others all very inconsistent, sometimes sentimentality can be an anchor to success so if we were to attempt a huge transition in the summer I wouldn't personally object.

Fair enough Luke and I would agree up to a point but say for example the article was true and we sold Skrtel, Enrique, Coates and had Carra retire.

Do you trust FSG and the manager to replace them with the required quality experienced players we'd need to fill what is virtually half of the back four and replacements?

I'm not so sure.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #37: Feb 17, 2013 12:01:41 pm
      Phase 2 of what rebuild? Brendan didn't exactly complete Phase 1 considering he spent £30m on bench warmers.

Think that article is a load of bollocks to be honest, don't see why we would look to sell our only left back (who is playing well). Similar situation with Henderson, we shouldn't have spent what we did on him but why sell him when he is starting to play well? We need to stick with him for another season or two.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #38: Feb 17, 2013 12:21:11 pm

It's alright know a few people who feel the same, my brother and Dad for two. My Dad who's been going since the 60's I can tell is really getting fed up with it, even my brother admitted to me before, he's not enjoying going anymore and would rather stay out working today than go.

Why does it? Some people are just pissed off with the way the team is headed, say what you like but it is depressing watching Liverpool Football Club at the moment!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Feb 17, 2013 12:27:18 pm
      Fair enough Luke and I would agree up to a point but say for example the article was true and we sold Skrtel, Enrique, Coates and had Carra retire.

Do you trust FSG and the manager to replace them with the required quality experienced players we'd need to fill what is virtually half of the back four and replacements?

I'm not so sure.

Like I said mate, I admit it's a gamble, but we need to do something that's for sure. The mentality of the squad (group) is awful and needs changing, perhaps the best way to do that is a complete overhaul or risk the mentality infecting others we add to the squad (group). Or perhaps I'm just completely disillusioned with them as a lot seem at the moment, or more realistically a combination of the two.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Feb 17, 2013 12:28:05 pm

Thats crap that Rep, sorry but it is.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #41: Feb 17, 2013 01:06:10 pm
      Thats crap that Rep, sorry but it is.

Really? So you don't believe in the "12th man" that the club is famous for? You don't believe that the players need our support just as much when things aren't going well a when we're winning?
      Andy went on to say in his next post that he would still get behind the team so that's fair enough but he initially said he didn't want to go and that was depressing. It worries me that fans only want to go when things are good rather than wanting to go, make plenty of noise and try to lift the team.
      Maybe my views differ from some because it's not possible for me to go on a regular basis so I don't take the experience for granted.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #42: Feb 17, 2013 01:13:54 pm
      Really? So you don't believe in the "12th man" that the club is famous for? You don't believe that the players need our support just as much when things aren't going well a when we're winning?
      Andy went on to say in his next post that he would still get behind the team so that's fair enough but he initially said he didn't want to go and that was depressing. It worries me that fans only want to go when things are good rather than wanting to go, make plenty of noise and try to lift the team.
      Maybe my views differ from some because it's not possible for me to go on a regular basis so I don't take the experience for granted.

I take it as sad that some die hards are disillusioned with the club at the moment to the point of not really wanting to go and wonder why that is? Its not just happening for no reason, some people haven't got the rose tinteds on and are actually making assumptions that everything might not be alright.

Was surprised that you decided to just jump in and question his support.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

How would I re-shape? Could start by getting the lipo gun on my fat arse for starters.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: Feb 17, 2013 01:58:51 pm
      If we are going to re-shape, we'd better make sure we're happy to stick with whoever the manager is before we let him flog Reina, Enrique, Skrtel etc etc. the owners had better have a serious meeting with themselves and decide once and for all.

I'm happy enough with Brendan myself, but I reckon I'm in the minority right now so whoever it is who makes the decisions amongst this shower of sh!te had better make sure they are sure before they give the green light.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #44: Feb 17, 2013 02:01:16 pm
      If we are going to re-shape, we'd better make sure we're happy to stick with whoever the manager is before we let him flog Reina, Enrique, Skrtel etc etc. the owners had better have a serious meeting with themselves and decide once and for all.

I'm happy enough with Brendan myself, but I reckon I'm in the minority right now so whoever it is who makes the decisions amongst this shower of sh!te had better make sure they are sure before they give the green light.

Excellent point mick.

If there are any doubts about Brendan from FSG and they are considering giving him to Christmas to improve, hypothetically, then I can't imagine them let him sell that many players.

In saying that though it would not surprise me in the slightest if this happened.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #45: Feb 17, 2013 02:10:00 pm
      Its disappointing to see all the doom and gloom from reds fans, I honestly don't think we are far away from being a great team.

Maybe I am too simplistic, but I don't think the keeper and defense have gotten bad in just one season. I believe its the midfield that are nowhere near good enough and we need another forward.

Reina is still one of the worlds best keepers.

I firmly believe that (despite a drop in form of late) our back line is one of the best in the world. Johnson, Agger, Skirtel and Enrique are all word class players that would grace the best teams in Europe.

Allen, Henderson and Shelvey have been average at best (IMO rubbish) Gerrard is still expected to carry the team, Lucas is solid as ever.
      Allen will be great, but he isn't there yet, Assaidi, god knows, from the little I have seen he looks ok, but he is a squad player, I cant comment on Coutinho yet, although I have high hopes, Henderson and Shelvey are squad players at best.

Then we need to look at the forwrd line. Luis is boss, no doubt there, Sturridge is (IMO) the best player we have bought since Suarez, but Downing is a winger, and not a great one (should be shipped out asap), the less said about Borini the better and Sterling seems to have forgot how good he is since he signed a new contract, and hes been very disappointing lately.

In short, 2 world class players, not young talent, CM and wide forward. I truly believe if we can get them, not only will we be challenging for top 4 but the title is a possibility. With around 50 million spent on these 2 players, for me, its job done.

Anyway, thats my five pence worth.

Quick Reply