Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Liverpool MotM?

Johnson
      (3%)
      Enrique
      (3.8%)
      Lucas
      (2.3%)
      Gerrard
      (6.8%)
      Coutinho
      (8.3%)
      Downing
      (2.3%)
      Sturridge
      (13.5%)
      Suarez
      (59.4%)
      Someone else...
      (0.8%)

Liverpool 5-0 Swansea: In-game & post-match jaw-dropping

Read 32565 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Liverpool 5-0 Swansea: In-game & post-match jaw-dropping
      Reply #598: Feb 17, 2013 11:18:39 pm
      Happy Happy Happy.......loved being on the Kop today right behind the goal  8)

Lovely sunny day

Coutinho making his full debut and what a goal

Made up for Stevie scoring the pen after the missed one against WBA, he hadn't lost his bottle  ;) Far to professional for that

Suarez scoring after a baron spell in front of goal was a joy to see

Boss goal from Enrique (the best of the day) what a beast he is....needs to play further up field on Thursday, he can do some damage to Zenit

Great to see Sturridge score from the penalty spot, need to have another penalty taker other than Gerrard in case he's injured etc

Good positive performance to set us up ready for Thursday

==============

Sad to see Borini go off and now his season's over, nasty injury  :(

Webb wasn't going to give us either of those pens, it was the lineman who flagged them, webb was walking away  :mad:

We should have had a pen when Sturridge was bundled over before Suarez got the pen

All in all, very happy and it was a good atmosphere on the KOP today.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #599: Feb 17, 2013 11:25:25 pm
      Happy Happy Happy.......loved being on the Kop today right behind the goal  8)

Lovely sunny day

Coutinho making his full debut and what a goal

Made up for Stevie scoring the pen after the missed one against WBA, he hadn't lost his bottle  ;) Far to professional for that

Suarez scoring after a baron spell in front of goal was a joy to see

Boss goal from Enrique (the best of the day) what a beast he is....needs to play further up field on Thursday, he can do some damage to Zenit

Great to see Sturridge score from the penalty spot, need to have another penalty taker other than Gerrard in case he's injured etc

Good positive performance to set us up ready for Thursday

==============

Sad to see Borini go off and now his season's over, nasty injury  :(

Webb wasn't going to give us either of those pens, it was the lineman who flagged them, webb was walking away  :mad:

We should have had a pen when Sturridge was bundled over before Suarez got the pen

All in all, very happy and it was a good atmosphere on the KOP today.

You got a great day for it Cas, lets hope we see some more of it . That Scousinho lad is a cracker of a signing aswell .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #600: Feb 17, 2013 11:32:42 pm
      You got a great day for it Cas, lets hope we see some more of it .

It was and I'm still buzzing from the win to be honest.

Thought it might have been buier on here tonight as well but maybe everyone is out celebrating.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #601: Feb 17, 2013 11:34:38 pm
      Still shocked that Webb gave us not 1 but 2 penalties :o
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #602: Feb 17, 2013 11:38:30 pm
      He might be warming to Suarez and has realised how great a player he is and that the PL wouldn't be the same without him . ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #603: Feb 17, 2013 11:38:32 pm

I look on it that he was kind of freelancing today and not working under the normal constraints of his usual employers.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #604: Feb 17, 2013 11:41:05 pm
      It was and I'm still buzzing from the win to be honest.

Thought it might have been buier on here tonight as well but maybe everyone is out celebrating.
      It is quiet in here Si , if we lost 5-0 it would be packed to the rafters no doubt.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #605: Feb 17, 2013 11:43:33 pm
      It is quiet in here Si , if we lost 5-0 it would be packed to the rafters no doubt.

It would and I'd be one of them ;) :D

Although I'm balanced and try and log on as much as I can after a win as it's good to have a chat about good performances rather than moaning about things.

Maybe everybody is not the same though?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #606: Feb 17, 2013 11:44:06 pm
      You got a great day for it Cas, lets hope we see some more of it . That Scousinho lad is a cracker of a signing aswell .

It was a pleasure to be there today Sean, unlike Monday night !!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #607: Feb 17, 2013 11:45:43 pm

He didnt Ben...it was the linesmen that flagged...webb was all ready to walk away....and the Kop soon let him know what a b***ard he was too  ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #608: Feb 17, 2013 11:47:59 pm
      It was a pleasure to be there today Sean, unlike Monday night !!
      Very true but atleast you had a happier trip back to Leicestershire today .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #609: Feb 17, 2013 11:52:37 pm
      It would and I'd be one of them ;) :D

Although I'm balanced and try and log on as much as I can after a win as it's good to have a chat about good performances rather than moaning about things.

Maybe everybody is not the same though?

Is it too early to start moaning that we only scored five and Pepe had to make a couple of saves.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #610: Feb 17, 2013 11:56:47 pm
      Is it too early to start moaning that we only scored five and Pepe had to make a couple of saves.
      ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #611: Feb 18, 2013 12:00:52 am

Ah s@int.

I wondered where you'd been :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #612: Feb 18, 2013 12:03:04 am
      Very true but atleast you had a happier trip back to Leicestershire today .

Very true, and the journey back flew by....I wonder why  :P
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #613: Feb 18, 2013 12:06:56 am
      He didnt Ben...it was the linesmen that flagged...webb was all ready to walk away....and the Kop soon let him know what a b***ard he was too  ;)

:laugh:

It would be a shame not to while the opportunity was there.  ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #614: Feb 18, 2013 12:09:24 am
      :laugh:

It would be a shame not to while the opportunity was there.  ;D

Absolutely Tim  ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #615: Feb 18, 2013 12:12:57 am
      I thought it was interesting and very promising for the future when Owen said that Coutinho reminded him of Aimar. Not seen much of Coutinho's passing yet, but he has good movement, good control and not frightened of having a shot, so fingers crossed he turns out half as good (I always liked Aimar!)

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #616: Feb 18, 2013 12:22:44 am
      Normally like this fella's post match articles but not too sure about this one.

See what you think:

Little new as Swansea are put to the sword
      By Kristian Walsh

As unlikely as it seems, a comprehensive 5-0 victory revealed little for Liverpool on a leisurely winter afternoon at Anfield.

There will be efforts to declare this as a further sign of progress or disregard it as a result expected against an understrength Swansea side. In truth, it deserves neither superlatives nor scorn. It was a routine victory against a team fundamentally low on confidence, their selection essentially confirming non-selection for their League Cup final next weekend. This was a team not playing for places -- nor pride, it seemed -- as heads dropped from the first whistle.

- Match report: Liverpool 5-0 Swansea

But they still had to be beaten. Monday night marked a game in which defeat seemed unthinkable against a West Bromwich Albion side without a win since Boxing Day. Lesson learned, perhaps, though there is still much more education to come.

With Daniel Sturridge returning from injury to support Luis Suarez, Liverpool rattled off 23 shots in the first 45 minutes. That it yielded only one goal -- a Steven Gerrard penalty -- is the perfect tale of the tape for Liverpool's season. Chances aplenty, misses aplenty. That was soon rectified in the second half as the flat-track bullying commenced.

Philippe Coutinho, an ever-growing presence in the game on his first start, notched his first goal with a deft shoulder-drop; Jose Enrique turned into his cartoonish best as he flicked and tricked his way into the box, lashing his right-footed shot high into the net. Five minutes after the restart, the game was over; within 15, it had become embarrassing for Swansea, as Suarez floated, glided and slipped through the defence to make it 4-0.

By the time Sturridge scored from the spot to make it 5-0, everything that was already known became even clearer. Suarez is phenomenal, so too is his telekinetic relationship with the football; Sturridge's pace and touch transforms the front line; Gerrard's renaissance in the midfield continues to excite; the defence, when facing smaller players and protected by the midfield, can keep clean sheets.

Nothing new there, then. No eyes opened further, no minds slammed shut. This season's oft-repeated, trite and untrue statistic of Liverpool not beating a top-10 side -- West Ham were 10th when they triumphed 3-2 in December -- is no more. But a cynic could claim this team was not in the top 10, either, but rather sat on the bench or were wearing suits in the stands.

The only thing that may have changed is the romanticised view of Swansea boss Michael Laudrup which many Liverpool fans seem to possess, irrespective of poor team selection.

When Brendan Rodgers sits in the dugout and scribbles on his notepad, try to cast a glance over his shoulder. He would be forgiven for simply drawing horns on a photograph of Laudrup.

Liverpool have faced a number of issues so far this season, not all self-inflicted. Laudrup may be the biggest one of that kind. Not only did he architect victory over Liverpool in the League Cup in October, but the Dane's chiseled chin casts a shadow over Rodgers with every movement as he peers over his predecessor.

Plainly put, Swansea are enjoying a better season than Liverpool. They're enjoying it full stop. That's without caveating the relative success of the two sides, either. Forget the trophy cabinets and highlight reels of yesteryear. Up until Sunday, Swansea were above Liverpool, and despite the 5-0 hammering, look set to dance around Wembley with trophy in hand. That is something Rodgers' side won't be doing this season.

Every defeat for Liverpool prompts its detractors to glance toward the table, cup final and dugout. In a season in which Liverpool have not climbed higher than seventh, some regard this cellar-dwelling as contemptible. That Rodgers' old side has flourished after his departure and sat above his new one nags and needles even more.

Over the past few seasons, Liverpool has been a club engulfed by disenchantment. Every mistake from a defender is not just debated, but dwelt upon. Every miss from a striker prompts not only heads in hands, but heads driven into heavy objects nearby. Reality, in all its brutishness, is never enough; what if? is always the big, right hook after the deadening jab of what is.

So it has proved for Rodgers. Each defeat is suffixed by some with mutterings of Laudrup, the manager who is usurping Rodgers' efforts in Wales last season. That villainous hindsight strikes once more. Though the 40-year-old would have been on few short lists when the job became available, Laudrup was not a name shouted from the tower, either. He won the double at Brondy in Denmark and took Spanish side Getafe to the UEFA Cup quarterfinals, but did little of note at Spartak Moscow and Mallorca. Much like Rodgers, he is a young manager yet to prove himself at the highest level.

But Rodgers was not a player of supreme majesty. Nobody played football in their gardens to mimic the Northern Irishman, recreating his goals at World Cups gone by. Rodgers never even had his own Panini sticker. He talks about tactics and triangles in great detail, his face forever furrowed. Laudrup breezes through interviews with a suave smile, shrug of the shoulders and flick of his faultless hair. That Laudrup guided Swansea to seventh in the league and a point above Liverpool adds to the mystique.

This is not to get dragged into the murky world of comparisons. Plenty of mud has been slung already with not even a season played. But there can be no denying that the Laudrup presence at Swansea has made things more difficult for Rodgers and easier for those who think he is not of sound disposition to manage the Anfield club.

The rancour toward Rodgers will not change with this 5-0 win, but maybe eyes focusing elsewhere may turn a lighter shade of green.

But if Liverpool have discovered anything this season, it is that a good result can easily be followed by a poor one. They should never get swept up in the waves of euphoria, nor washed up on the rocks by the tide of despair. Success over 90 minutes guarantees little, least of all consistency.

In a game in which a lot happened but little was learned, perhaps that should be the lesson above all -- and the solution can be worked upon over the next few weeks, with no league game until March.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/655?cc=5739

Kristian usually writes with a pretty objective point of view even though he's a Red. I think he's seen us do this so much this season (lose games we shouldn't and then batter someone) that he has obviously turned a bit pessimistic as to what it really means.

One thing I think we can agree on though is that it's vital we get Sturridge into the lineup as often as possible.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #617: Feb 18, 2013 12:25:10 am
      What an awesome win! Absolutely loved that, everyone was brilliant!

I was just starting to think that Countinho looked like he needed a bit more service and then couple minutes later he scores, so stoked for the lad.

I thought it was great of Stevie to give the second pen to Sturridge, he deserved it.

Well played lads, well played!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #618: Feb 18, 2013 12:32:41 am
      I thought it was great of Stevie to give the second pen to Sturridge, he deserved it
      Fair play to Stevie ,i think he was also priming Sturridge as a penalty taker , something we've been sorely lacking .
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #619: Feb 18, 2013 01:20:01 am
      What a total domination and a joy to watch at times.

I just wish we had taken more chances and got what we really deserved. I know that sounds petty, but we ease off at times when we should show some desperation and urgency in the final third.

We won't always get as many chances as we did today, against better opposition, so we have to capitalise when we can.

Even though it seemed a masterclass, many of our players' first touch can leave a lot to be desired. My biggest concern is that we hardly have any midfielders marauding into the box for crosses and cut-backs but I suppose Rodgers wants us to attack conservatively, regarding numbers.

Overall, very pleasing. A huge relief to get on the winning trail again.

A clean sheet and all the usual suspects and more get on the scoresheet.

Onward and upward.

3-0 against Zenit to go through on a cracking night for the Reds!
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2013 01:32:48 am by RedStorm »
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #620: Feb 18, 2013 03:25:55 am
      That was as a dominating performance I have seen from our guys in a long long time ..
      We controlled every aspect of that game
      Was really shocked at getting 2 pens from Webb eveb though he clearly missed the one on Sturridge  which was the easiest to spot
      Very pleased for Countinho getting his goal .Didnt do anything wrong in my book.excellent first game
      Lucas was very solid as usual ,Suarez was very good pestering the defenders all afternoon
      My MOTM though goes to Johnson who was up and down the line all day.
      Only sour point was Borini .Feel sorry for the lad being out for the rest of the season,but he didnt really have to lunge in like that
      Great performances all over and a clean sheet also..Ill take that performance on Thursday please

Quick Reply