Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Liverpool V Zenit St P'sbg 21/02/2012 KO 20:05

Read 9435 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Liverpool V Zenit St P'sbg 21/02/2012 KO 20:05
      Feb 20, 2013 11:28:48 am
      VS

Who should start Vs Zenit on Thursday with no Coutinho or Sturridge available? I would go for Reina GJ Agger Carra Enrique Lucas Gerrard Hendo Downing Suarez Sterling and the 12th Man The Kop......
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013 02:09:47 pm by RedPuppy »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Liverpool V Zenit St P'sbg 21/02/2012 KO 20:05
      Reply #1: Feb 20, 2013 02:14:11 pm
      Suarez is best behind a striker.  However, without Sturridge or Borini we don't have that option.  So, I'd look to play Suso in behind Luis in a 4-4-1-1.  Suso linked well with Suarez in some of the games early in the season, so let them try to build on that understanding.  Have Downing and Hendo playing as inverted outside midfielders.  Leave Sterling on the bench to be used late on as an impact sub and open his legs against tired Zenit defenders. 

Pepe
      Johno  Carra  Agger  Enrique
      Downing  Lucas  Stevie  Hendo
      Suso
      Suarez

Most importantly, we need to be at them from the first whistle and we NEED an early goal!!  A goal in the first 15 minutes will bring the voices out at Anfield, which will spur our players on and put some anxiety and nerves into the Zenit players!!
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Feb 20, 2013 02:43:18 pm
                               Reina

Carra    Skrtel    Agger   

Johnson                                  Enrique

Lucas

Henderson     Gerrard      Sterling

Suarez

Subs: Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Allen, Downing, Suso, Assaidi?

I think the key to this game is not to concede and I think this setup would be the best. 5 at the back with Lucas playing anchor, yes I know we're behind but this will keep us compact and also give us threat. Johnson and Enrique need to have the game of their lives tomorrow IMO, need to be like Cafu and Carlos absolutely bombing it down the flanks to defend and attack. I've gone with Henderson over Downing as we need a bit more energy in the middle of the park and he'll naturally drift centrally as he's a CM by trade.

Downing can be used as an impact sub, we have no Borini, Sturridge and Coutinho so we need a player that can come on and try and change the game in an attacking sense if things go wrong and we need 4 goals. Could possibly swap Sterling with Downing but I personally see Sterling pose more of a threat hence why I'd start with him and attack from the off.

Like I said, if Lucas just sits back and mops up in front of the three CBs, whilst Enrique and Johnson attack then we have plenty of options going forward to pose a threat, they need to operate as wingbacks as opposed to fullbacks. If they try to hit us on the counter whilst the wingbacks are out of place, then we still essentially have four at the back if Lucas stays deep with the CBs.

Well that would be my gameplan, here's hoping Brendan has a winning one! Come on Reds!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Feb 20, 2013 03:01:52 pm
      So far we've had Pepe, Skrtel, Stevie and Lucas all ask for help from the Kop for this game so I hope that everyone at Anfield will answer the call.  If you're going, join in the singing and if the person next to you isn't, tell them to.  There's no point whinging that about the lack of atmosphere if the regulars don't educate the newbies  ;D

As for the game or line up I had suggested yesterday to play Morgan up top in place of Sturridge but he's with the Next.Gen squad so that rules that option out.  If we are going with the usual 3 up front then Stewart and Raheem must help Luis more and get into the box at every opportunity.

Don't like the 3 at the back suggestion, we've tried it a few times this season and it doesn't fill me with confidence, although we had Andre in the 3 on those occasions.

I'd go with

Pepe

Johnson
      Carra
      Agger
      Enrique

Lucas
      Gerrard
      Henderson

Sterling
      Suarez
      Downing

Assaidi is back in the squad after an illness so I expect him to be on the bench along with Suso, Jones (if he's fit), Wisdom, Allen, Coates and Shelvey.

Skrtel's injured before anyone questions why he's not listed.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Feb 20, 2013 03:01:52 pm
      Some squad news I read from tweets from BR's presser: Assaidi will be in the squad and Skrtel is a doubt due to a knock on his knee.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2013 03:03:33 pm
      Still trying to work out best strategy for Thurs.

Do we go full on from the outset, or be patient and grind them down. Best analogy of a recent Euro game I can think of is Olympiakos in the CL run in 04/05

Gut feel is we need to keep it tight at the back and not panic
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2013 03:05:40 pm
      As others have said, I would feel a lot more confident if Sturridge was available. Think we have to be much more aggresive in midfield than we were against them last time, hope Suarez has his shooting boots on and that Gerrard can remember how he used to pull games out of the fire for us once upon a time.

Think we will win, not as sure we will win by enough to go through.

Sterling to replace Sturridge otherwise same team that destroyed Swansea.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2013 03:08:14 pm
      Still trying to work out best strategy for Thurs.

Do we go full on from the outset, or be patient and grind them down. Best analogy of a recent Euro game I can think of is Olympiakos in the CL run in 04/05

Gut feel is we need to keep it tight at the back and not panic

From what I've heard from Rushie, Fairclough and Brendan this week it sound like we're going for a keep it tight, don't concede, don't panic or get too desperate for the goal.  They've all said it's not an early goal we need but the first goal.

Apparently our focus against Swansea was for a tight defensive display rather than attack so more of the same will do  ;D
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Feb 20, 2013 03:24:16 pm
      Srktels out so dont trust coates if were going with 3 cbs would go with wisdom if thats the case dont like that though seems to defensive even tho GJ and Enrique provide attack in the wings. Biggest test of our season soo farr and i hope that the 11 out in the field have the desire and passion to win but of course need to stay tight i feel if zenit get one it will be too much for Liverpool to claw back!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #9: Feb 20, 2013 03:50:37 pm
      Zenit's defence is not all that fantastic in the 1st leg and I think it'll be pretty much the same in the 2ng leg. They do play a very high defence line at times  and we have to capitalise on it fully. BR should get the boys to rehearse, rehearse and rehearse to breach their high defence line. We let them off the hook with some bad misses in front of their goal, hope we can be more clinical with our finishes while we need to put more bodies into their box to ruffle up their defence. Their defence do panic under pressure as much as I've observed. With the 12th man roaring the lads on, I'm sure they'll s**t in their pants.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #10: Feb 20, 2013 04:40:24 pm
      Zenit's defence is not all that fantastic in the 1st leg and I think it'll be pretty much the same in the 2ng leg. They do play a very high defence line at times  and we have to capitalise on it fully.

This is a good point. We were able to get past that line fairly easily, but there is the possibility that they will tighten up and player deeper in order to protect a two-goal lead. We need to be wary of the counter because an away goal will be killer.

---

I would put  this team out there:

Reina
      Carragher     Agger   
      Johnson                    Enrique
      Lucas   Gerrard
      Shelvey
      Sterling                     Assaidi
      Suarez

We do need goals, so I would play some of our more direct players like Assaidi and Shelvey. Assaidi's pace vs the Zenit backline could work nicely in our favor if they try to play a high line again. And Jonjo isn't afraid of having a pop at goal, and who knows, maybe he tries a speculative effort, keeper spills it, and Luis puts it home.

I contemplated playing a 1-2 triangle in midfield, but while we do need goals, we need to keep a cleansheet, so opting for the usual 2-1. Lucas will be vital because his presence will free up Gerrard just enough in attack but also help anchor us in defense.
      redno7
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 20, 2013 04:46:19 pm
      if we adopt a negative defensive 'keep it tight' policy we will lose. It'll take a cock up from our defense and they nip in for 0-1 then we're screwed.

GET AT THEM FROM THE OFF! don't give them time to think, close down, press hard and score 3 goals.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #12: Feb 20, 2013 05:35:06 pm
      I,d actually go for this off the back of the swansea game

Reina
                                        Carragher     Agger   
                             Wisdom                            Johnson
                                             Lucas   Gerrard
                                                Henderson
                                  Downing                    Enrique
                                                   Suarez

I,ve put Enrique in on the left hand side because i feel he has more strength then Sterling.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #13: Feb 20, 2013 07:02:54 pm
      John Bradley ‏@JBcommentator
      Drama at Zenit training as Bruno Alves goes down with a nasty looking injury

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #14: Feb 20, 2013 07:34:45 pm
      Early goal needed... Then it could be a very very special night at Anfield!

The key is not conceding - if we lose 1 we have to score 4 and that's a very big ask - even at 3 - 0 up if they score we could go out on the away goals rule (I do hope I am mistaken though!). Can we win this game, yes! Can we score 3 or 4 - yes! But its all about what they do..! Watching us last weekend we could easily get a few - but this needs to be the perfect storm! Lets hope - I have the same feeling as I did a few years ago against Olympicaos, and before that Bronby!

Come on you mighty reds! 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Feb 20, 2013 07:49:24 pm
      Im confident we can and will pull this off, but I wont pretend I wouldnt be even more confident with Sturridge involved and Coutinho to.

We have to be alert to them hitting us on the counter. They have good players and Hulk can score from nothing.

After that I think its all about us. If that team go out with hunger and desire roaring through there belly a belief in themselves and each other that they can get the 3 goals I truly believe we will. I wouldnt say go gung ho. If we can score even 1 in the first half Id be happy we'd get the other 2 in the 2nd half. Gung ho could lead to us conceeding 1 or more goals.

I cant underestimate how much the crowd need to play there bit. From about 20 minutes before kick off right through to the end we need an atmosphere to match the best we've seen in the last 20 years.

Team wise we can all guess and predict but I dont really care who plays or what system once every man breaks his balls for that shirt tomorrow. No hiding places on that turf tomorrow night. We need 11 leaders 11 fighters.

We will win.

Come on redmen!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #16: Feb 20, 2013 07:53:01 pm
      I,d actually go for this off the back of the swansea game

Reina
                                        Carragher     Agger   
                             Wisdom                            Johnson
                                             Lucas   Gerrard
                                                Henderson
                                  Downing                    Enrique
                                                   Suarez

I,ve put Enrique in on the left hand side because i feel he has more strength then Sterling.

I had a similar idea although my team had Sterling up front with Suarez in the 10 position.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 20, 2013 10:04:15 pm
                           Reina
                Carra              Agger
      Johnson                             Enrique
                   Stevie       Lucas
      Downing        Suso        Sterling
                         Suarez
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #18: Feb 21, 2013 02:52:21 am
                           Reina
                Carra              Agger
      Johnson                             Enrique
                   Stevie       Lucas
      Downing        Suso        Henderson
                         Suarez

4-1 Liverpool.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 21, 2013 05:49:27 am
      With Sturridge not playing, i'm afraid the players could depend on Suarez alone again to provide the goals. This will not be enough to beat Zenit. The players who they know themselves are capable of scoring goals must attempt to try and those who rarely scores must suddenly find the confidence to try and have a shot. We must bombard the Zenit goal with shots from all possible angles. Hit the ball like it's the last thing you need to do to avoid Brendan having to tell you that you are off the club permanently. Come On Liverpool!
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 21, 2013 09:09:50 am
      Sorry if I cant lay out a long strategic plan ahead of this game.  My Doberman is getting very aggressive and has bitten quite a few people.  Family contemplating on putting him down.  When he was young raised him like my kid.  Spent an hour in my room as an emotional wreck.  :f_wah:  Hope to take him to the mountain villages and leave him there but i don't have a four wheel just a two wheel.  lets see.

Wile E. Cayote, Spalletti is gonna set up like AC yesterday.  Big Up to Them.  San Siro was off the roof.  Go back to Spain.  Well In AC.  Now Spalletti is gonna make some minor adjustment maybe Hulk not tracking back as far as AL-SHarawaay.  If Suso and Sterling play he will use tactical bullying.  So hope the young un's got a tactical ploy against these bullies.  Suarez will be doubled up when he comes near the danger zone leaving a chink in their armour.  BR needs to get it spot on and not the huff n' puff variety Like barca last Night.  Fire in the Bellies and the desire to play for the red shirt.  Atheleticism, concentration, devotion and with the help of Anfield we can fecking do these Russian Bugger's.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 21, 2013 09:22:17 am
      First time in years I've worn LFC gear to work.
      Looking forward to this.

COYR!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6638 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #22: Feb 21, 2013 09:26:28 am
      Nerves set in, especially with the KO timer at the bottom of the page. Come on You F***ing Reds, let's do these!!!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #23: Feb 21, 2013 09:27:02 am
      I must be honest think the Reds have a real mountain to climb against Zenit tonight. Especially with only Suarez upfront, with a two goal deposit, need to go forward from the start and are always vulnerable to concede. I sincerely hope that the Reds go through, but feel that we have to be realistic about our chances of going winning the tie.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Feb 21, 2013 09:46:32 am
      Just to make something clear if liverpool win 2-0 and bring it into extra time does away goals still count in Extra time??
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #25: Feb 21, 2013 09:52:01 am
      I must be honest think the Reds have a real mountain to climb against Zenit tonight. Especially with only Suarez upfront, with a two goal deposit, need to go forward from the start and are always vulnerable to concede. I sincerely hope that the Reds go through, but feel that we have to be realistic about our chances of going winning the tie.

We don't want those types of thinking here.  All Scouse to AmsterDam!!!!!!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #26: Feb 21, 2013 10:15:35 am
      I'm going for a 4-1 win tonight. They're not all that and let's face it, for a megabucks Club their pitch was F***ing awful out there.

I've been looking at their away form in the Champions League and they beat Milan 0-1 away but lost 0-1 to Anderlecht and got tonked 0-3 against Malaga away so they are there for the taking.

With Sturridge unavailable this is where Brendan has to show his tactical nous, i'm going to be very interested in who he picks up front to partner Luis. This is our last chance of silverware so i expect us to set up to attack.

I know we can do it, they owe it to themselves to stand up and be counted. They owe it to us.

Come on Redmen, smash the bas**rds!. Champions League rejects don't deserve to be here anyway so let justice prevail.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #27: Feb 21, 2013 10:26:22 am
      Just to make something clear if liverpool win 2-0 and bring it into extra time does away goals still count in Extra time??

Yup.
      Bier
      Reply #28: Feb 21, 2013 10:31:58 am
      Those Russian teams are unpredictable this time of year, they've been on break for 2 months now. So they're well rested, but lack match rythm too. If we stick it to them for 90 minutes we should have a good shot.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2013 10:34:18 am
      Few big dopey looking Russians wandering around town this morning getting pictures taken here there and every F***ing where.

The Rev should be busy tonight and tomorrow.

Rodgers' pre match presser here:

http://extra.thisisanfield.com/post/43637443304/brendan-rodgers-pre-zenit-press-conference
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2013 11:01:34 am
      I'm going for a 4-1 win tonight. They're not all that and let's face it, for a megabucks Club their pitch was F***ing awful out there.

I've been looking at their away form in the Champions League and they beat Milan 0-1 away but lost 0-1 to Anderlecht and got tonked 0-3 against Malaga away so they are there for the taking.

With Sturridge unavailable this is where Brendan has to show his tactical nous, i'm going to be very interested in who he picks up front to partner Luis. This is our last chance of silverware so i expect us to set up to attack.

I know we can do it, they owe it to themselves to stand up and be counted. They owe it to us.

Come on Redmen, smash the bas**rds!. Champions League rejects don't deserve to be here anyway so let justice prevail.

I've been wondering how much the pitch contributed to the misses against them in the first game.
      We created plenty, but failed to convert them.
      At home I expect us to convert at least 2 or 3 chances, and I think 4-1 is a good bet.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #31: Feb 21, 2013 11:12:18 am
                               Reina

Carra    Skrtel    Agger   

Johnson                                  Enrique

Lucas

Henderson     Gerrard      Sterling

Suarez

Subs: Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Allen, Downing, Suso, Assaidi?

I think the key to this game is not to concede and I think this setup would be the best. 5 at the back with Lucas playing anchor, yes I know we're behind but this will keep us compact and also give us threat. Johnson and Enrique need to have the game of their lives tomorrow IMO, need to be like Cafu and Carlos absolutely bombing it down the flanks to defend and attack. I've gone with Henderson over Downing as we need a bit more energy in the middle of the park and he'll naturally drift centrally as he's a CM by trade.

Downing can be used as an impact sub, we have no Borini, Sturridge and Coutinho so we need a player that can come on and try and change the game in an attacking sense if things go wrong and we need 4 goals. Could possibly swap Sterling with Downing but I personally see Sterling pose more of a threat hence why I'd start with him and attack from the off.

Like I said, if Lucas just sits back and mops up in front of the three CBs, whilst Enrique and Johnson attack then we have plenty of options going forward to pose a threat, they need to operate as wingbacks as opposed to fullbacks. If they try to hit us on the counter whilst the wingbacks are out of place, then we still essentially have four at the back if Lucas stays deep with the CBs.

Well that would be my gameplan, here's hoping Brendan has a winning one! Come on Reds!

We only play one way and that is 4-3-3 or at most 4-3-2-1. No plan B, I am afraid.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #32: Feb 21, 2013 11:25:39 am
      Oi Slickster please some positivity.  I heard a great man say, " If Plan A is good enough.  It's good enough"!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #33: Feb 21, 2013 11:28:57 am
      Can't wait for tonight. Big Anfield atmosphere Redmen. Lets show the Russians who we are. The players have to be on their game and what better way to ensure that than the fans being on top voice.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #34: Feb 21, 2013 12:44:47 pm
      Just about to down a full English then heading over, got a good feeling about tonight COME ON YOU REDMEN.

Still fancy us to win it in extra time. 2-0 ft, 3-0 AET. Sing your hearts on fellow Kopites and make it a night to remember.

YNWA
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #35: Feb 21, 2013 12:57:22 pm
      Setting off soon. Will be disappointed if anyone at Anfield isn't roaring the lads home.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #36: Feb 21, 2013 01:08:45 pm

I hate away goals ! Who cares if a team is boring, it's not protecting the fans at all. They want to win at all costs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #37: Feb 21, 2013 01:24:37 pm
      Let's tw*t these Russian cu*ts everywhere tonight, Redmen!!

3-0 Auxerre mark II written all over it.

And anyone not standing on the Kop tonight deserves a slap. Support and believe kids!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,011 posts | 2735 
      Reply #38: Feb 21, 2013 01:28:32 pm
      Team picks itself really. Sterling and Hendo is for Sturridge and Coutinho.

Very confident we'll turn this around - just hope the supporters in the ground stay with the lads even if we don't get the early goal.

COME ON YOU REDSSS!!!
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #39: Feb 21, 2013 01:29:06 pm
      Reina
      Johnson
      Carra
      Agger
      Enrique
      Allen
      Lucas
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Downing
      Suarez

Not the team I'd have picked.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #40: Feb 21, 2013 01:40:06 pm
      I'd like to see:
                  Reina
      Johnson   Carra    Agger     Enrique

Lucas     Gerrard
                           Shelvey

Downing        Suarez          Hendo
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #41: Feb 21, 2013 01:52:07 pm
      This game is winable but we cant concede a goal quite frankly, so the defence has to be at there best. Have to have every player playing at 100%
      We have to score three goals,if we can get the fans to increase decibel levels and create a positive attitude. So it a tall order in reality but who is to know the outcome.   
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,916 posts | 281 
      Reply #42: Feb 21, 2013 02:08:51 pm
      We need to go out thinking we need 4 goals.

Hope Anfield is roaring, biggest game of the year.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Feb 21, 2013 02:16:17 pm
      I think we need to go out looking to score 2 and to keep a clean sheet. If we get more great, if not we can win it in extra time.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #44: Feb 21, 2013 02:19:19 pm
      I think we need to go out looking to score 2 and to keep a clean sheet. If we get more great, if not we can win it in extra time.

Dangerous game to play. In my mind, we need to go out and get as many goals as we can and have a tight defense. I suppose that's the way it should always be.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #45: Feb 21, 2013 02:36:41 pm
      In my mind, we need to go out and get as many goals as we can and have a tight defence.

Good plan. I agree.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #46: Feb 21, 2013 02:52:18 pm
      Dangerous game to play. In my mind, we need to go out and get as many goals as we can and have a tight defense. I suppose that's the way it should always be.

Yeah, we need to go out looking to score 4.  That way, even if they nick 1 we still go through!!

It's a little unfair on him, but I think most of the fans are expecting Stevie to turn back the clock and put in a virtuoso performance tonight and win the game for us. 

However, if Gerrard and Suarez are both in the mood then all we really need is the rest of the team to not F**k up and we will progress!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Feb 21, 2013 02:57:48 pm
      Just putting it out there and I don't want to come acros as negative, but I think without Sturridge and Coutino we may struggle to create clear cut chances. I can see us dominating the game but with the likes of Downing and Sterling as our supply, we could possibly lack the craft we need to convert possession into chance and chances into goals.

Hope I'm wrong but they could prove to be big misses tonight, they certainly were in St Petersberg.
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #48: Feb 21, 2013 03:08:34 pm
      Just putting it out there and I don't want to come acros as negative, but I think without Sturridge and Coutino we may struggle to create clear cut chances. I can see us dominating the game but with the likes of Downing and Sterling as our supply, we could possibly lack the craft we need to convert possession into chance and chances into goals.

Hope I'm wrong but they could prove to be big misses tonight, they certainly were in St Petersberg.

I've been thinking the same thing as much as I hate to admit it, but I'm hoping the fact that we are at home and with our fans that they could be the factors that could drive our team into putting one hell of a winning performance in, so lets make Anfield the fortress it once was and help keep the guys motivated. Come on you Redmen!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #49: Feb 21, 2013 03:13:27 pm
      Should be a good game. Can't wait for it. It's absolutely vital we don't concede an away goal, because that will just pile on even more pressure on the lads. And as we've seen the last few seasons, they don't exactly react well to pressure.

I'm really curious to see how we come out in this one. Are we going to be patient or come out firing in the first 5 minutes.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #50: Feb 21, 2013 03:31:37 pm

I don't think it is as dangerous as going out gung ho and maybe conceeding a goal or two.... then we are chasing 4 or 5 goals to win and basically game over.

Keep it tight, control the game, take our chances when they come and we are in with a chance. Conceed early and we are then chasing the game with little chance imo of catching it.

Or to put it another way, I would rather be going into the last 10 minutes of the game still needing a goal than needing 4 goals after the first ten minutes of the game.

If Sturridge was playing I would probably be looking at us to be more aggressive, but with only Suarez up front I think we have to be more circumspect.
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2013 03:54:53 pm by s@int »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #51: Feb 21, 2013 03:49:21 pm
      Don't want to piss on anyone's barby but Sturridge and Coutinho have been vital ingredients in our recent resurgence, their absence will be an affecting factor it pains me to say.
      On the plus side is the confidence the lads will have and Zenit do seem to have a few problems, but wtf c'mon you reds early goal and go for the throat.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #52: Feb 21, 2013 05:14:39 pm
      This line up is doing the rounds on social media

This is the rumoured team:
      Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Enrique; Henderson, Lucas, Allen; Gerrard, Suárez & Downing.

C'mon redmen  , we can do this
       YNWA
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #53: Feb 21, 2013 05:42:42 pm
      not bad, but i wouldnt start allen
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #54: Feb 21, 2013 06:09:25 pm
      Don't want to piss on anyone's barby but Sturridge and Coutinho have been vital ingredients in our recent resurgence, their absence will be an affecting factor it pains me to say.
      On the plus side is the confidence the lads will have and Zenit do seem to have a few problems, but wtf c'mon you reds early goal and go for the throat.

Just Sturridge. Coutinho has played about 90 minutes. And our 'recent resurgence has lasted one game. Our results before the Swansea game weren't the best.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Feb 21, 2013 06:25:51 pm
      Agree with S@int play it tight at the back aim for two goals and then get at them by passing them to f***in death, I thought we bossed it for the majority in their yard the 2-0 score flattered them,
      A early goal would help us settle and we must must take our chances when the come, I'd go with this .....
                          Pepe
        Johnson  Carra Agger  Enrique
                         Lucas
           Henderson        Gerrard
      Downing     Suarez    Sterling

Bench; Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Allen,
                  Shelvey, Suso, Assiadi

We can do this but patience loads of it is paramount, that and not conceding, hopefully another famous night at Anfield beckons, I'm f***in buzzin for it, COYR, YNWA

3-0 will do nicely thank you very much !

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #56: Feb 21, 2013 06:31:15 pm
      Just in from work and cannot wait for this game to start.

I stick by the original line up I'd like to see which had Enrique playing wide left and Sterling up front allowing Suarez to roam free in any space. I doubt it will be the side selcted though.

Reina

Wisdom  Carra  Agger  Johnson

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing  Suarez  Enrique

Sterling

A gamble to have Raheem as the central striker but I fell his pace might be enough to stretch them a little to allow Luis room to play.

Expect Henderson to start though in place of Sturridge and Sterling in place of Coutinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #57: Feb 21, 2013 06:39:00 pm
      Thank you to FSP for giving me a free trial this week, I get to watch this one on an actual television!!! COYR!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #58: Feb 21, 2013 07:16:47 pm

Quick Reply