Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mud Runs

Read 11447 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Mud Runs
      Feb 21, 2013 03:53:37 pm
      These were mentioned in the Fitness thread but those posts will soon get lost so here's a thread for them.
      There are loads of these events about and one is specifically called Mud Runner but I'm not just posting about that one, I just couldn't think of a better title!

So...

Mud Runs are a combination of cross country running and assault courses that may include water or mud-filled ditches, ponds, rivers, climbing frames, monkey bars, tunnels, cargo nets, mazes, balance beams, diving platforms, fire and even electric wires.

If I remember correctly, racer once mentioned a race called Warrior Dash (http://www.warriordash.com/) which was the first I'd heard of.
      SM recently mentioned Tough Mudder (http://toughmudder.co.uk/) which professes to be pretty hardcore.

I've been roped into doing one at the end of July with 7 colleagues for charity. Out of all of us, there are possibly 3 who could run for more than a couple of miles as things stand, I am not one of them!
      The (foolishly) chosen race is called Nettle Warrior and is part of the Tough Guy event http://www.toughguy.co.uk/NW12-EVENTS.php
      It's a 12 mile (19km) run that involves running around 6 miles over various obstacles before passing through the Killing Fields assault course twice. It's insane!

Here's a few snippets I've picked up when reading about Nettle Warrior:

"Tough Guy is a race in two parts. First is a challenging cross-country run, involving seriously steep hills, streams and woodland. Next is the scary bit: an assault course so demanding that the army uses it to toughen up the troops before packing them off to Afghanistan."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/10/tough-guy-how-to-train

We go over that part TWICE, remember!

"A lot of other events claim to be the toughest but, although some might be a little longer, most can't possibly compare to the brutality of Tough Guy's 19km of twisted features."

"As I waded through a swampy area, an uneasy feeling that was harboured in my conciousness started to grow. I knew that the dreaded Interrogation Chamber was fast approaching. This is, by far, the most twisted of Tough Guy's creations. You crawl into a dark underground chamber on your hands and knees and, before your eyes can adjust you find your face running into dangling lumps of wood. You then drop down onto your belly in a few inches of water in an attempt to avoid the dreaded stingers. These electrifying strings pack one hell of a punch. They go off with a CRACK and are always followed by a gut-wrenching scream. Getting hit by one stops you dead in your tracks and tenses up every muscle in your body."

"After the second crawl under barbed wire the end was practically in sight. To finish you off there's a long tire-covered run, followed by another couple evil electric shock features. The final one sees you sliding down a hill underneath a series of electrocuted strings. Half way down the hill I found myself coming to a halt. As I lifted my knee to propel myself on I felt the familiar jolt ramming its way through my body. The applauding crowd were rewarded with a shriek of pain and several expletives!"

http://www.mudstacle.com/2012/07/tough-guy-nettle-warrior-2012-review-in.html

Part of me is looking forward to it. The rest of me is dreading it and doubting I would even make it to the end by walking!

So have any of you had a go at these sort of runs before?
      How did it go?
      Any tips?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Mud Runs
      Reply #1: Feb 21, 2013 04:37:08 pm
      Just one, See a Psychiatrist  :f_tongueincheek:
      Only joke Rep but you must be slightly bonkers to put yourself through all that, good luck with it anyhow !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #2: Feb 21, 2013 04:48:45 pm
      Just one, See a Psychiatrist  :f_tongueincheek:
      Only joke Rep but you must be slightly bonkers to put yourself through all that, good luck with it anyhow !
      Thanks, mate. I know what you mean and initially I said no but changed my mind for a few reasons.
      It's good "team building" with colleagues.
      It's for charity.
      It gives me an incentive to train properly and get fit and most importantly...
      It will be a new experience... one way or another!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: Feb 21, 2013 04:53:55 pm
      Good on yer Rep, the most Adventurious I get these days is wandering over to the wifes side of the bed !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 21, 2013 04:59:59 pm
      These were mentioned in the Fitness thread but those posts will soon get lost so here's a thread for them.
      There are loads of these events about and one is specifically called Mud Runner but I'm not just posting about that one, I just couldn't think of a better title!

So...

Mud Runs are a combination of cross country running and assault courses that may include water or mud-filled ditches, ponds, rivers, climbing frames, monkey bars, tunnels, cargo nets, mazes, balance beams, diving platforms, fire and even electric wires.

If I remember correctly, racer once mentioned a race called Warrior Dash (http://www.warriordash.com/) which was the first I'd heard of.
      SM recently mentioned Tough Mudder (http://toughmudder.co.uk/) which professes to be pretty hardcore.

I've been roped into doing one at the end of July with 7 colleagues for charity. Out of all of us, there are possibly 3 who could run for more than a couple of miles as things stand, I am not one of them!
      The (foolishly) chosen race is called Nettle Warrior and is part of the Tough Guy event http://www.toughguy.co.uk/NW12-EVENTS.php
      It's a 12 mile (19km) run that involves running around 6 miles over various obstacles before passing through the Killing Fields assault course twice. It's insane!

Here's a few snippets I've picked up when reading about Nettle Warrior:

"Tough Guy is a race in two parts. First is a challenging cross-country run, involving seriously steep hills, streams and woodland. Next is the scary bit: an assault course so demanding that the army uses it to toughen up the troops before packing them off to Afghanistan."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/10/tough-guy-how-to-train

We go over that part TWICE, remember!

"A lot of other events claim to be the toughest but, although some might be a little longer, most can't possibly compare to the brutality of Tough Guy's 19km of twisted features."

"As I waded through a swampy area, an uneasy feeling that was harboured in my conciousness started to grow. I knew that the dreaded Interrogation Chamber was fast approaching. This is, by far, the most twisted of Tough Guy's creations. You crawl into a dark underground chamber on your hands and knees and, before your eyes can adjust you find your face running into dangling lumps of wood. You then drop down onto your belly in a few inches of water in an attempt to avoid the dreaded stingers. These electrifying strings pack one hell of a punch. They go off with a CRACK and are always followed by a gut-wrenching scream. Getting hit by one stops you dead in your tracks and tenses up every muscle in your body."

"After the second crawl under barbed wire the end was practically in sight. To finish you off there's a long tire-covered run, followed by another couple evil electric shock features. The final one sees you sliding down a hill underneath a series of electrocuted strings. Half way down the hill I found myself coming to a halt. As I lifted my knee to propel myself on I felt the familiar jolt ramming its way through my body. The applauding crowd were rewarded with a shriek of pain and several expletives!"

http://www.mudstacle.com/2012/07/tough-guy-nettle-warrior-2012-review-in.html

Part of me is looking forward to it. The rest of me is dreading it and doubting I would even make it to the end by walking!

So have any of you had a go at these sort of runs before?
      How did it go?
      Any tips?

Must have a look into them.
      The Warrior Dash in Ireland got cancelled.

Need to get focused on something else for later in the year.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #5: Feb 21, 2013 05:01:27 pm
      Thanks, mate. I know what you mean and initially I said no but changed my mind for a few reasons.
      It's good "team building" with colleagues.
      It's for charity.
      It gives me an incentive to train properly and get fit and most importantly...
      It will be a new experience... one way or another!

On ya mate sounds like a grueller best of luck Rep.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #6: Feb 21, 2013 05:43:13 pm
      Must have a look into them.
      The Warrior Dash in Ireland got cancelled.

Need to get focused on something else for later in the year.

I feel like I should say something like, "Yeah, go for it!" but at this point, I'm not sure they're a good idea at all!  :laugh:

On ya mate sounds like a grueller best of luck Rep.

Cheers, Stuey.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 21, 2013 05:45:57 pm
      I feel like I should say something like, "Yeah, go for it!" but at this point, I'm not sure they're a good idea at all!  :laugh:

Cheers, Stuey.

I've only started running this weekend.
      I'll bed myself in a bit first.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #8: Feb 21, 2013 06:29:36 pm
      My wife did one awhile back. It wasn't quite as strenous as a Tought Mudder or Warrior Dash but it was challeging for her. I didn't participate as it was the weekend before a half marathon I was running and didn't want to get injured for that race. I plan on doing the one she did next year but I would really like to try one of the harder ones. Like some have said, love the idea of the challenge but would be a bit anxious about what it would be like.
      GRAHAM01
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 25, 2013 12:29:52 pm
      www.sodburyslog.co.uk/

i have put myself up for this one later this year, i havn't started training yet but have got to pull my finger out so i am even close to being ready ;D (what have i done)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #10: Mar 06, 2013 06:07:11 pm
      www.sodburyslog.co.uk/

i have put myself up for this one later this year, i havn't started training yet but have got to pull my finger out so i am even close to being ready ;D (what have i done)

Looks good. Could be nice and cold come November  >:D
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #11: Jun 26, 2013 02:24:37 pm
      Joined the local boot camp on the 7th June, my fitness was a joke couldn't even do a press up or run for 5 minutes.

Quit smoking on the 14th.

Quit drinking on the 23rd (only been a few days I know, but I like a bevy).

Today I signed up for Tough Mudder, Yorkshire in Sept. It looks real hard, but I know I will be ready. My fitness in just this short time has increased dramatically, managed 20 press ups last night - something I haven't been able to do in over 5 years. And running is a lot easier now I can actually breathe. Looking forward to the challenge.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #12: Jun 26, 2013 02:46:14 pm
      Joined the local boot camp on the 7th June, my fitness was a joke couldn't even do a press up or run for 5 minutes.

Quit smoking on the 14th.

Quit drinking on the 23rd (only been a few days I know, but I like a bevy).

Today I signed up for Tough Mudder, Yorkshire in Sept. It looks real hard, but I know I will be ready. My fitness in just this short time has increased dramatically, managed 20 press ups last night - something I haven't been able to do in over 5 years. And running is a lot easier now I can actually breathe. Looking forward to the challenge.

Great stuff, well done!  :gt-happyup:

Seen a few people on Facebook who've signed up for Tough Mudder. From what I gather, the format was copied from the Tough Guy event that I'm doing so it's very similar.
      Mine's on July 28th, almost there!  :holyshit:

Haven't prepared as much as I should. I went to do a 10k run last Sunday as part of my preparation but only managed 5k before my knee gave way. It's an old football injury that my wonderful doctor diagnosed as a dead leg! At least I know now so I can get it strapped up before the main event. 
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #13: Jun 26, 2013 03:02:14 pm
      Cheers mate and good luck!

You don't have long left to get in shape, but on a positive note the weather should be decent.

I'm going with the folks from boot camp, for some of them this is their 3rd event.

They said it's hard going, but as it's a team, you match the pace of the slowest out of the group. And you get plenty of chance to catch your breath, as you sometimes have to wait for obstacles to clear.

What are you wearing for it?

Just looking at some of the compression wear now. Will look like a tit, but I'll be a warm tit.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: Jun 26, 2013 03:20:07 pm
      And you get plenty of chance to catch your breath, as you sometimes have to wait for obstacles to clear.

That's what I'm banking on!

I'm actually hoping that the weather is crap because I'm not very good with heat, I'm much more comfortable in winter and would have picked the February event if it had been my choice.

I'll be wearing a nice, light, breathable running top (won't be too heavy when it's wet), shorts, some cross-country trainers and maybe some fingerless gloves to help with grip. The first 'obstacle' on the course is a run through loads of nettles so some people are talking about wearing running tights but I'd rather just put up with the stings than cover up.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #15: Jun 26, 2013 03:33:06 pm
      I don't know about the Tough Guy event, but on the Tough Mudder you get wet a lot, you even have to walk/swim through an ice pit - can imagine yours being similar. Couple of the lads did it in Scotland last Nov, they said they would of died with out compression tops and tights.

Was looking at this.

Another company is Under Armour can find their gear on Ebay or clothing sites.

Do not like the sound of them nettles mate!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #16: Jun 26, 2013 03:43:49 pm
      I don't know about the Tough Guy event, but on the Tough Mudder you get wet a lot....

Yeah, there's a lot of water obstacles but no ice. The original Tough Guy event in February features ice pits and lots of people drop out half way due to hypothermia! This event is actually called Nettlewarrior (for obvious reasons), is longer and includes two laps of the assault course instead of one. I'll ask what the other lads are wearing but I'm more concerned about getting too hot than getting cold. It's quite possible I'm just being naive!
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #17: Jun 26, 2013 04:16:53 pm
      Yeah, there's a lot of water obstacles

Anything like Gladiator or Total Wipeout? :D

10k with obstacles sound tough enough, pardon the pun. 10k is tough as it is, let alone with obstacles.

Trying to do a 10k myself in August but getting fit for it is proving tougher than I thought. Just getting under 2 miles these days which is about 3k so a long way off yet. Might try some evening with a 5 minute break or something and go again to try elongate the distance I can get. Currently trying the technique of going at a higher pace every so often, the slowing it down to control my breathing, before setting off at normal again. Hasn't worked so far tho, but only tried it like twice.

Then in September, there is a colour run here, it's only 5k and a fun run more than anything, no times or anything like that. But everyone gets covered in a coloured powder and just an explosion of colour every so often, sounds fun! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHR3XwIZS_o
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #18: Jun 26, 2013 04:23:45 pm
      10k with obstacles sound tough enough, pardon the pun. 10k is tough as it is, let alone with obstacles.

Nettlewarrior is 19k  :f_whistle:

Then in September, there is a colour run here, it's only 5k and a fun run more than anything, no times or anything like that. But everyone gets covered in a coloured powder and just an explosion of colour every so often, sounds fun!

Yeah, there's one of them in Manchester, it does sound fun.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #19: Jun 26, 2013 04:28:51 pm
      Tough Guy Nettle Warrior 2012 HIGHLIGHTS - OBSTACLECOURSES.ORG

I'll understand if we don't hear from you for a while :lmao:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2013 04:44:53 pm
      I'll understand if we don't hear from you for a while

Haha! It looks really easy at the beginning where they're just climbing over log frames but those are spread over 10km, then you start two laps of the assault course.
      Also, those dark tunnels have wires hanging down inside them to give you electric shocks and last year, somebody had to be air-lifted out because his heart stopped, the shocks are that bad!
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #21: Jun 26, 2013 04:45:15 pm
      19k!!  :o

:holyshit:
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #22: Jun 26, 2013 04:52:59 pm
      Jesus Rep, why on earth would you even consider it? Mad!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #23: Jun 26, 2013 05:01:42 pm
      Jesus Rep, why on earth would you even consider it? Mad!

:confused-smiley-013:

Should be a laugh  :laugh:
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #24: Aug 02, 2013 06:36:23 pm
      How did it go matey?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #25: Aug 10, 2013 01:11:20 am
      Maybe he's just slow and is still out there.

Those Mudders are Insane. You get the sh*t knocked out of you. Mad respect for Rep.... :action-smiley-035:

Anyone ever see that race where they chase a giant wheel of cheese down a hill?

Quick Reply