Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Daniel Day-Lewis

Read 2213 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Daniel Day-Lewis
      Feb 26, 2013 01:04:14 am
      Possibly the best actor of all time?

In number of Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role, he already is. Perhaps trying to place one specific actor above all else in history of dramaturgy is engaging in a debate I'm not really interested in, but it's beyond any doubt that Daniel is definitely up there with the very best.

His Oscar for Lincoln was his 3rd, but could very well have been his 4th... his performance in "In The Name of the Father" is out of this world.

Daniel Day-Lewis In the Name of the Father Monologue (The Medal)

His performance in "There Will Be Blood" helped make this film my favorite film of the 2000's:

I Drink Your Milkshake! - There Will Be Blood (7/8) Movie CLIP (2007) HD
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Daniel Day-Lewis
      Reply #1: Feb 26, 2013 01:57:06 am
      I've yet to see Lincoln but I've heard all the acting performances are just on another level to any film of the last few years. Heard a lot of great things said about Sally Field and particularly Tommy Lee Jones in that film as well. DDL is a phenomenal man. No one seems to debate his worthiness in winning his three Oscars which goes some way to showing how highly thought of he is by almost everyone. I think it's too early to say but I think most people will only really remember this years Oscars for him winning number 3. Genuinely surprised to hear his film didn't get more awards. Would have been good to see Spielberg get his third as well a good recognition for his diversity in film making.

In The Name Of The Father 1993

That's the entire film right there btw!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Feb 26, 2013 09:22:49 am
      I thought he was excellent as The Butcher in 'Gangs of New York' as well, he made that film.

Gangs of New York - Daniel Day Lewis - "Poor Rabbit" scene (Full)

His character created tension in every scene as you never knew if or when he was going to snap.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013 09:34:04 am by Reprobate »
      Bier
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2013 09:39:29 am
      Slightly offtopic, but on topic of the oscars. Jack Nicholson is such a boss! (Coincidentally perhaps one of the few actors competing with Daniel for that best actor spot?)

Jennifer Lawrence and That Awesome Moment When She Met Jack Nicholson Backstage at the Oscars...

Nicholson: You look like an old girlfriend
      Lawrence: Oh really, do I look like your new girlfriend?
      Nicholson: I've thought about it.

Bahahaha, what a guy! Best moment of the night for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 26, 2013 10:19:36 am
      Slightly offtopic, but on topic of the oscars. Jack Nicholson is such a boss! (Coincidentally perhaps one of the few actors competing with Daniel for that best actor spot?)

Jennifer Lawrence and That Awesome Moment When She Met Jack Nicholson Backstage at the Oscars...

Nicholson: You look like an old girlfriend
      Lawrence: Oh really, do I look like your new girlfriend?
      Nicholson: I've thought about it.

Bahahaha, what a guy! Best moment of the night for me.

That was brilliant.

"Is he still here" :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Feb 26, 2013 02:31:21 pm
      I've yet to see Lincoln but I've heard all the acting performances are just on another level to any film of the last few years. Heard a lot of great things said about Sally Field and particularly Tommy Lee Jones in that film as well. DDL is a phenomenal man. No one seems to debate his worthiness in winning his three Oscars which goes some way to showing how highly thought of he is by almost everyone. I think it's too early to say but I think most people will only really remember this years Oscars for him winning number 3. Genuinely surprised to hear his film didn't get more awards. Would have been good to see Spielberg get his third as well a good recognition for his diversity in film making.

To be honest, as much as I love the topic of the Civil War and adore Abraham Lincoln, I don't think the film really deserved an Academy Award for Best Picture. I'm also a Spielberg fan and the acting on the film was truly great, but I think as a film I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. A friend of mine, who doesn't know about the history of this period as much as I do, said it felt like a glorified discovery channel documentary. I don't agree with that opinion, but still, I don't think it's one of Spielberg's best.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Feb 26, 2013 02:41:07 pm
      I love the topic of the Civil War and adore Abraham Lincoln....I'm also a Spielberg fan

I don't think I like any of these things :laugh:

As for DDL, terrific actor, but best ever? Nah, not in my opinion. Much too difficult to ever say one actor is truly a greater standout than others, especially when you consider the history of films and how acting has changed and everything.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Feb 26, 2013 02:53:06 pm
      I don't think I like any of these things :laugh:

;D
      My interest on Civil War / Abraham Lincoln started because of my love for westerns... most of those films are set during the US expansion to the West and some during the civil war itself.

As for DDL, terrific actor, but best ever? Nah, not in my opinion. Much too difficult to ever say one actor is truly a greater standout than others, especially when you consider the history of films and how acting has changed and everything.

Yeah it was just a rhetoric question to be honest, I don't think it's possible to pick just one actor above everyone else. He's the first person to win 3 Academy Awards for Best Actor though, and is certainly among the best.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Feb 26, 2013 03:09:02 pm
      ;D
      My interest on Civil War / Abraham Lincoln started because of my love for westerns... most of those films are set during the US expansion to the West and some during the civil war itself.

Oh God, not Westerns :laugh: I can't stand them! hahaha My dad grew up on Westerns though, practically the only thing on TV in the 50s and 60s and a little bit in the 70s here in the States. So, he'll always watch the reruns of them, but I just can't bear it ;D

Yeah it was just a rhetoric question to be honest, I don't think it's possible to pick just one actor above everyone else. He's the first person to win 3 Academy Awards for Best Actor though, and is certainly among the best.

I don't know, hard to say winning an Academy Award means that much. It doesn't to me, personally, but obviously means a lot if you're an actor! To me, there's too much of an American bias and they're all determined by what the art-types and film critics like. Not that viewers necessarily should be determining these things, I just find it all very pat each other on the back.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Feb 26, 2013 03:38:01 pm
      Oh God, not Westerns :laugh: I can't stand them! hahaha My dad grew up on Westerns though, practically the only thing on TV in the 50s and 60s and a little bit in the 70s here in the States. So, he'll always watch the reruns of them, but I just can't bear it ;D

It's my "weird" thing, I just love westerns for some reason. Indeed the 50s and 60s were very productive for westerns and as it is to be expected, there was a lot of sh*te westerns made, just for the money... but the good westerns tend to be my favorite films. It's funny cause I didn't have any family or friend influence in it, I just started to like them by myself.

Quick Reply