Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Suarez, Bale or RVP? Honestly

Read 8322 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Suarez, Bale or RVP? Honestly
      Feb 26, 2013 11:33:30 am
      As Bale is becoming Spurs' one-man team and playing amazing, I ask - who's the best player in the PL this season?

Bale has only started playing amazing since the turn of the year while Suarez & RVP have been doing it all year! People saying Bale is the 3rd best in the world and should get Player of the Year is laughable!

I think he is a ridiculously fantastic player, but hasn't been doing it since the start of the season like Suarez & RVP!
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013 11:37:19 am by Reslivo »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Suarez, Bale or RVP? Honestly
      Reply #1: Feb 26, 2013 11:38:11 am
      Suarez, all day, all night, all year. He scores goals and is more creative than Van Persil and Bale combined.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Feb 26, 2013 11:38:50 am
      Suarez and RvP carried the team for the first part of the season.
      Typical media sh*te.

Bale puts a run of games together in the second half of the season and everyone forgets there was a first half of the season.

I'd say RvP deserves it.
      Has been the difference in United strolling to the title.

I'll take that over Bale carrying Spurs to Champions League,
      given that they were 4th last season. People also seem to forget that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2013 11:49:04 am
      Suarez and RVP are very close to be honest.

Suarez is a lot more creative and has greater ability in terms of beating players but Van Persie is a much better finisher.

Bale is a mile off those two. Yes, he's the in-form player right now but when you take the whole season into account Suarez, RVP and Mata have been better.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #4: Feb 26, 2013 11:49:39 am
      If I were putting a team together and had the pick of the three...Suarez all day and all night for me.

Most creative, most dangerous, and most passionate.

Bale seems to get a lot of goals due to the other team giving him too much space to shoot. Granted he's finishing those opportunities, but Suarez rarely is given room and usually has to create his own shots from nothing.

RVP....meh.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 26, 2013 11:53:47 am
      For skills,passion,flair,creativity and more over work rate it is suarez.

If you don't have much creative players in the team to support striker, Suarez is the man for you. If you want some one to convert those half chances, RVP is the man.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Feb 26, 2013 11:59:35 am
      Suarez and RvP carried the team for the first part of the season.
      Typical media sh*te.

Bale puts a run of games together in the second half of the season and everyone forgets there was a first half of the season.

I'd say RvP deserves it.
      Has been the difference in United strolling to the title.

I'll take that over Bale carrying Spurs to Champions League,
      given that they were 4th last season. People also seem to forget that.

Great post ur spot on mate! Fair enough he's the player in form now but everyone is forgetting the season isnt just 8 or 9 games long and Suarez and RVP have been more or less carrying their respective teams all season long!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #7: Feb 26, 2013 12:00:30 pm
      (Club/Country Overall) Luis Suarez: 381 Matches - 215 Goals || Van Persie: 457 Matches - 207 Goals

Just some food for thought.

I'll take Suarez's "finishing" over RVP's any day of the week personally.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Feb 26, 2013 12:06:11 pm
      If I were putting a team together and had the pick of the three...Suarez all day and all night for me.

Most creative, most dangerous, and most passionate.

This ^ ^ ^ all day, every day.
      Bier
      Reply #9: Feb 26, 2013 12:41:15 pm
      I think RVP right now, but if I had to choose a player to have in the team it would certainly be Suarez. Think about the fact that Van Persie has only been peaking the past 3 seasons, and Suarez still has those years ahead of him.

(Club/Country Overall) Luis Suarez: 381 Matches - 215 Goals || Van Persie: 457 Matches - 207 Goals

Just some food for thought.

I'll take Suarez's "finishing" over RVP's any day of the week personally.

Those career statistics aren't comparable and say very little about their current finishing ability.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Feb 26, 2013 01:15:54 pm
      Suarez, he's head and shoulders above both of them.

If you're unable to understand the difference opportunity makes in the argument between him and Van Persie then you're likely to side with Van Persie. United have scored 64 goals this season, we have only managed 49. So far Van Persie has 19 (1 penalty) goals and Luis 18 (0 penalties), now when you consider the fact that either United have more goal threats or simply create more goal scoring opportunities (clearly backed up by the goals scored tally) then you'll realise that Van Persies opportunities to score will be better, more frequent or more likely, both.

Luis' ability on the ball and dribbling skills are way above the level of Van Persie by so far even Van Persie's biggest fans would struggle to argue this point. His relentless energy, willingness to chase down every ball and leading from the front alone set him above Van Persie. Luis' versatility also sets him above Van Persie, this season alone he has played wide left, centre forward, false 9 and in the 10 role and looked outstanding in every one of them. I would not expect Van Persie to be able to fill all these roles as effectively.

Van Persie may is regarded as a more clinical  but even last season I was saying that Luis looked extremely unlucky and I advised everyone to back him at 20/1 for top goalscorer this season. I think dismissing a career record that shows Luis' goals per minutes played at 1 every 159 minutes and Van Persie at 1 every 199 is in the purest sense unbalancing an argument.

The only attribute that I can't argue Van Persie is better at is heading the ball, other than that I'd take Luis every single time, the lad is pure magic and 11 Suarez's would beat 11 Van Persie's by an enormous margin.

I just can't get enough!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Feb 26, 2013 01:31:59 pm
      Unfortunately these days it looks as though where the team in the table is also has some bearing on who wins 'PLAYER of the season'. As a result of this Van Persie would be my player of the season.

Suarez comes close but Van Persie has been able to guide his team to the top of the table with a 12 point gap. If our defence was better this season I have no doubt that we would be in the top 4 and Suarez would then be a stronger candidate for player of the season.

Suarez has created at least 90% of his goals on his own, Van Persie has created about (I'd guess at...) 60% of his goals.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #12: Feb 26, 2013 01:34:33 pm
      I think RVP right now, but if I had to choose a player to have in the team it would certainly be Suarez. Think about the fact that Van Persie has only been peaking the past 3 seasons, and Suarez still has those years ahead of him.

Think that sums it up very nicely.
      Bier
      Reply #13: Feb 26, 2013 01:40:05 pm
      I think dismissing a career record that shows Luis' goals per minutes played at 1 every 159 minutes and Van Persie at 1 every 199 is in the purest sense unbalancing an argument.

I can understand all the rest but this truly makes no sense to me. For one because most of Luis record is that high because of an inferior league while Van Persie played far longer in the EPL. Also, Van Persie almost went down the same road as Robben, being consistently injured throughout his early career. It wasn't untill after his injuries issues only 3 seasons ago that he started coming to his own and really started scoring in his new position. With that in mind I'm not sure what those past statistics are supposed to say about who is better right now this season.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Feb 26, 2013 02:03:52 pm
      By the way anyone know any cheap hotels to stay in Liverpool or near the city centre? Getting match tickets and all the hotels are soo dear??
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15: Feb 26, 2013 02:21:27 pm
      I can understand all the rest but this truly makes no sense to me. For one because most of Luis record is that high because of an inferior league while Van Persie played far longer in the EPL. Also, Van Persie almost went down the same road as Robben, being consistently injured throughout his early career. It wasn't untill after his injuries issues only 3 seasons ago that he started coming to his own and really started scoring in his new position. With that in mind I'm not sure what those past statistics are supposed to say about who is better right now this season.

I understand your point but the point I was making, and I believe FL Red was also, was to demonstrate that despite Van Persie leading the goalscoring table Luis is in fact a more frequent scorer. So therefore given the same opportunities would in fact have out scored Van Persie and therefore the 19 / 18 argument should not be taken as a stand alone indicator for being a more clinical finisher.

Bier
      Reply #16: Feb 26, 2013 02:25:48 pm
      I understand your point but the point I was making and FL Red was to demonstrate that despite the Van Persie leading goals, Luis is actually a more frequent scorer so therefore given the same opportunities would in fact have out scored Van Persie and therefore the 19 / 18 argument should not be taken as a stand alone point indicator for being a more clinical finisher.

Yeah, but that's because you're assuming Van Persie scores that much because he gets more and better chances at United. How can you say that when he did the same thing last season at Arsenal, carrying that team by himself almost in a similar fashion as Suarez has done for us this season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Feb 26, 2013 02:34:27 pm
      Yeah, but that's because you're assuming Van Persie scores that much because he gets more and better chances at United. How can you say that when he did the same thing last season at Arsenal, carrying that team by himself almost in a similar fashion as Suarez has done for us this season.

I explained it earlier in my initial post Bier, it was based on my assumption that Van Persie gets more frequent and better opportunities. I did say that if you didn't agree with this then you would say Van Persie.

It is simply my belief that United carry more goal threat from more sources that will create more frequent and better opportunities for their clear danger man. I also don't believe that Van Persie could create the chances that Luis can and given the same opportunities that Luis would score more, I'm happy to disagree with you on this but it is simply my belief.
      Bier
      Reply #18: Feb 26, 2013 02:49:15 pm
      There's no doubt Van Persie gets better chances this season, but also has far less attempts. He has needed quite a bit less shots to get to his goals this season, but he has also taken far less shots overall. I just think it's wrong to assume Van Persie wouldn't thrive just as much as Suarez currently is in an overall less performing team, as Van Persie did just that last season at Arsenal too. He created many of his own goals then too, scoring from impossible positions sometimes. I kind of even think Van Persie would score more this season if he was still at Arsenal, as he'd be more important for the team and would have far more attempts at goal.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013 02:59:39 pm by Bier »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Feb 26, 2013 03:15:44 pm
      RVP
      Suarez

Bale.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #20: Feb 26, 2013 04:09:37 pm

If you're unable to understand the difference opportunity makes in the argument between him and Van Persie then you're likely to side with Van Persie. United have scored 64 goals this season, we have only managed 49. So far Van Persie has 19 (1 penalty) goals and Luis 18 (0 penalties), now when you consider the fact that either United have more goal threats or simply create more goal scoring opportunities (clearly backed up by the goals scored tally) then you'll realise that Van Persies opportunities to score will be better, more frequent or more likely, both.

Luis' ability on the ball and dribbling skills are way above the level of Van Persie by so far even Van Persie's biggest fans would struggle to argue this point. His relentless energy, willingness to chase down every ball and leading from the front alone set him above Van Persie. Luis' versatility also sets him above Van Persie, this season alone he has played wide left, centre forward, false 9 and in the 10 role and looked outstanding in every one of them. I would not expect Van Persie to be able to fill all these roles as effectively.

Van Persie may is regarded as a more clinical  but even last season I was saying that Luis looked extremely unlucky and I advised everyone to back him at 20/1 for top goalscorer this season. I think dismissing a career record that shows Luis' goals per minutes played at 1 every 159 minutes and Van Persie at 1 every 199 is in the purest sense unbalancing an argument.

The only attribute that I can't argue Van Persie is better at is heading the ball, other than that I'd take Luis every single time, the lad is pure magic and 11 Suarez's would beat 11 Van Persie's by an enormous margin.

I just can't get enough!

This, and lets not forget that Suarez has got more heart than the pair of the other two put together.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Feb 26, 2013 04:10:23 pm
      Only one of the three I would/do pay to see play.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #22: Feb 26, 2013 06:58:13 pm
      Suarez without a second thought.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #23: Feb 26, 2013 08:15:10 pm
      Suarez without a doubt.

RVP is a great player but he's getting on a bit and Suarez is still to improve.

Bale was a close call but Suarez just has that edge to his game, maybe a bit biased cause Bale is quality too but Suarez just has the 'wow' factor.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Feb 26, 2013 09:20:46 pm
      Suarez, no comparison IMO! He can create something out of nothing on more than just a one off, can do the impossible and has been scoring goals for fun his whole career. RVP only became prolific last season, before that he was an injury ravaged Bergkamp wanna be. As for Bale, Bale who?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #25: Feb 26, 2013 09:38:21 pm
      The one and only Luis Suarez for me.  The best by a country mile.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Feb 26, 2013 09:49:48 pm
      IT CAN ONLY BE LUIS SUAREZ

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #27: Feb 26, 2013 09:57:04 pm

I just can't get enough!

This all day for me.

It's difficult to judge properly without bias getting in the way, but it's still Luis for me.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #28: Feb 27, 2013 03:33:48 am
      Suarez deserves player of the year. What he has been able to do despite spending most of the season as the sole attacking option for us is amazing. RVP and Bale have both been great but RVPs main job is to simply finish chances. Suarez, Bale, RvP for me. Player of the year should be the player who does the most for their team and that is Suarez.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #29: Feb 27, 2013 07:03:34 am
      For all of us It is Suarez.No doubt on that. But player of the season for me is RVP. He won them the title.As simple as that.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #30: Feb 27, 2013 08:10:42 am
      Without a hint of bias, Suarez.

He's more skilful and creative than RVP, hopefully next season (and after a few more complimentary signings) he'll show even more why he is.

RVP will be given the award this year by the media darlings though, Luis' face doesn't fit.

Bales a distance behind but the media would have you believe different.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: Feb 27, 2013 09:43:59 am
      I think for the team Suarez has been in and how important he has been to Liverpool being the only striker for the majority of the season deserves credit and playing every mintue of every game shows his quality.

Although the british media and majority of people dont like him even though he is within the top 2 best players in the league which is a real shame.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #32: Feb 27, 2013 09:58:21 am
      Suarez
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Feb 27, 2013 01:48:40 pm
      Luis every time for me.  Never fails to entertain, never stops trying, hates not playing but best of all he's ours  ;D

We all know he isn't going to win Player of the Year in this country, ever, so just win the Golden Boot.  That's something they can't take away from him as it isn't reliant on a biased media.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: Feb 27, 2013 01:54:57 pm
      The goal-scoring numbers are fairly similar between all three, but let's not forget that Bale is in the midst of a good month and a half or so. He wasn't playing that great at the beginning of the season, whereas Suarez and van Persie have been performing right from the get-go.

So it's gotta be between those two, especially considering Spurs were already in fourth last season. Van Persie has practically won the title for United, while Luis has carried us the majority of the season. Suarez is more than just scoring goals, he's also a hell of a creative force. Opta tweeted last month that no player has created more chances from open play than Luis Suarez. Goal-scorer and creator, that's immense, but doesn't get recognized enough.

That said, we know RvP is going to win it. But it's not as if he wouldn't be deserving of it. I personally think it should be Luis, but that doesn't take anything away from van Persie.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #35: Feb 27, 2013 02:09:28 pm
      Suarez because he makes the Kop go wild.

In all honesty
      Bale is inconsistent
      RVP could be injured at any time
      I can count the poor performances of Suarez on one hand
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36: Feb 27, 2013 04:25:05 pm
      For all of us It is Suarez.No doubt on that. But player of the season for me is RVP. He won them the title.As simple as that.

Can't agree, a much improved Carrick did that, RVP just got the glory.  I'd go as far to say Carrick should be up for player of the season and certainly ahead of RVP and I've never really rated Carrick.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #37: Feb 28, 2013 02:43:18 am
      I'll take Gareth Van Suarez.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #38: Feb 28, 2013 08:29:30 am

What about Luis van Bale?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39: Mar 01, 2013 01:18:52 pm
      What about Titus Bramble ?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40: Mar 02, 2013 02:48:48 am

Haven't seen enough of him to comment mate.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,214 posts | 1000 
      Reply #41: Mar 02, 2013 10:00:53 am
      Suarez, no doubt at all in my mind.
      I just don't get the whole Bale frenzy, good player but drifts out of games too much for me at times.
      RVP, great player, but he plays in a team that knows how to win.
      Luis has kept us in the hunt for a Europa League place all by himself, his passion, his skill, his never say die attitude and his vision and football intelligence all make it a no brainier for me.
      I wouldn't swap Luis for anyone and I am so glad he's ours. Just love him.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #42: Mar 02, 2013 12:03:06 pm
      Without reading what everyone else has put (I will read after I've posted though, Iam not rude :P), without a shodow of doubt, I would'nt swap our Luis for anybody in the Premiership or else-where in any leauge.
      In my opinion he is he best signing we've had in years, and ,again, in my opinion the best player in the prem by some distance.I just hope he stays with us for a long, long time. Iam sure he'll prove me right after todays hat-trick ;)
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #43: Mar 08, 2013 01:38:35 pm
      In my opinion he is he best signing we've had in years, and ,again, in my opinion the best player in the prem by some distance.I just hope he stays with us for a long, long time. Iam sure he'll prove me right after todays hat-trick ;)

Haha he proved u right
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #44: Mar 15, 2013 05:15:36 pm
      Suarez!

Suarez is leading the league in goals on a team that has less talent than RVP and Bale.  If Suarez had a front like United or Barca or Madrid he would be a Ballon d' Or finalist. No doubt.  Imagine what he could do w/ Iniesta or Xavi or Villa. The one thing keeping Suarez from being the Best in the World is an inability to create scoring chances. We need someone who can feed him those perfect passes. I think Coutinho was brought in for that but he needs a little more time of playing w/ Suarez to get that touch.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #45: Mar 15, 2013 05:37:59 pm
      The one thing keeping Suarez from being the Best in the World is an inability to create scoring chances. We need someone who can feed him those perfect passes. I think Coutinho was brought in for that but he needs a little more time of playing w/ Suarez to get that touch.

Would disagree with that whole paragraph mate. Suarez can and does create goals for himself and Coutino is already setting Suarez and other team mates up for goals.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #46: Mar 20, 2013 11:07:03 pm
      Would disagree with that whole paragraph mate. Suarez can and does create goals for himself and Coutino is already setting Suarez and other team mates up for goals.
      But is it the same as what Messi and Ronaldo have?  Compared to what Messi and Ronaldo have around them, Suarez IS lacking. I think Suarez is one of the top players in the World and his touch and the way he creates chances is incredible. But he doesnt have the same connection w/ Coutinho that he needs to be the best in the World, now. They need to play more and get that feeling. Regardless of how great a player is, he needs great players around him to be on an elite level.

Do you think If Suarez was w/ Barca or Real he would have more goals? I do, certainly.
      smokie69
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #47: Mar 21, 2013 12:30:42 pm
      For me it has to be Suarez,this footballing genius has been playing exquisite football all season.
      The abuse and stick he takes every away day,and still putting in the performances is nothing short of phenomenal.
      He still has 8 more games and I strongly fancy him to add to that for the top scorer.
      Hopefully he's still with us come next season,and push on for the champions league.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #48: Mar 21, 2013 11:14:02 pm
      But is it the same as what Messi and Ronaldo have?  Compared to what Messi and Ronaldo have around them, Suarez IS lacking. I think Suarez is one of the top players in the World and his touch and the way he creates chances is incredible. But he doesnt have the same connection w/ Coutinho that he needs to be the best in the World, now. They need to play more and get that feeling. Regardless of how great a player is, he needs great players around him to be on an elite level.

Do you think If Suarez was w/ Barca or Real he would have more goals? I do, certainly.

But you have to give them time Yank, they've barely played together yet, we wont see the best of them till next season.

Quick Reply