Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Liverpool MotM? (Pick two)

Reina
      (25.7%)
      Coutinho
      (20.2%)
      Suarez
      (54.1%)

Wigan 0-4 Liverpool: In-game & post-match smoke bombs

Read 28496 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Wigan 0-4 Liverpool: In-game & post-match smoke bombs
      Reply #460: Mar 03, 2013 10:45:35 am
      That was a great performance all around.

Brilliant to so pull apart a team we have struggled so much against in recent times.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #461: Mar 03, 2013 10:54:21 am
      Did anybody notice anything between Boyce and McArthur at the end? Madness behaving like that during a game
      Frankerny
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: LIVE: Wigan vs Liverpool
      Reply #462: Mar 03, 2013 11:54:02 am
      3 players deserve a 10/10 tonight: Coutinho, Reina and Suarez. I cannot name a MOTM.
      The lads were awesome.

Downing had good game, the lad has come on under BR which is good to see

;D ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #463: Mar 03, 2013 12:00:14 pm
      I think the most impressive player apart from the best player in the world, was Pepe.

Messi had a pretty sh*t game against Madrid though....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #464: Mar 03, 2013 12:05:54 pm
      Just watched that video of the Rafa chant, I think the commentators need to be educated quite a bit! Heard one of 'em say that the chants were quite strange, how are they strange? We are singing for a person that brought us the greatest LFC memory in recent history and showing him our support in such a hard time in his career as he is verbally attacked by Chelsea fans week in week out.

Sick of listening to commentators that are pig ignorant and know nothing about loyalty between one team and a legend.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #465: Mar 03, 2013 12:10:38 pm
      Just watched that video of the Rafa chant, I think the commentators need to be educated quite a bit! Heard one of 'em say that the chants were quite strange, how are they strange? We are singing for a person that brought us the greatest LFC memory in recent history and showing him our support in such a hard time in his career as he is verbally attacked by Chelsea fans week in week out.

Sick of listening to commentators that are pig ignorant and know nothing about loyalty between one team and a legend.

They have to sound unbiased, even if they do know what it means.

We're not the victims of that "odd" commentary, so there's no need to make out like we are.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #466: Mar 03, 2013 12:12:31 pm
      Well done lads, I'm beginning to see some resemblance of the Liverpool of the all conquering years. I've been criticising Pepe of late but I can't help but to give the MOTM to him , which I normally don't so for a goalkeeper. He has made at least 3-world class saves and if one or two had gone in, it would have been a very different outcome. Wigan is not as terrible as what it seems, it's just that they simply can't find a way to beat Pepe. I'm still a bit unhappy about the defence giving them free headers, luckily the forward line is doing a proper job. Johnson has to be a more alert and beware of opposition sneaking behind him.

Not to mention Suarez and Coutinho performed remarkably. Let's destroy bitters and spuds as it's long overdue.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #467: Mar 03, 2013 12:18:03 pm
      Just a thought, but it's a scary one (for opposition teams, not us ;)).

- We didn't have Sturridge yesterday
      - We had less passes than Wigan
      - Less possession (shock, horror, right?!)
      - Less shots on and off target

And we still looked like we could easily score about 10 goals.

We've become more clinical in our finishing and penetrative in our play than I've ever seen us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #468: Mar 03, 2013 12:30:03 pm

We've become more clinical in our finishing and penetrative in our play than I've ever seen us.

Its what we needed Res.
      Couldnt keep hitting posts and bars all day long either.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #469: Mar 03, 2013 12:31:45 pm
      Quote from lfc_ynwa
      You say Van Persie doesn't do much else for the team; I'm just throwing it out there, Van Persie has more assists than Suarez.

I think Suarez is the better player. Van Persie is equally as good in probably every department except for work rate and dribbling. I think Van Persie is a better finisher too but that's debatable.

This is a pointless discussion. Luis has no chance of winning Player Of The Year, because the serious contenders will all be seen aswhiter than white, model professionals.

First win there for the past 5 seasons. If the game wasn't over after 1 minute, it was after 16. Wigan brought nothing to the game and packed it in early. We could have added a few more to the tally, but players do tend to go through the motions after the break with a 3-0 half time score. Next week is a much sterner test, but a great chance to beat Spurs for the first time in 3 seasons.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #470: Mar 03, 2013 01:10:12 pm

Coutinho=penetration;D
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #471: Mar 03, 2013 01:21:54 pm
      >:D

Couldn't resist. The lad has skill, but could easily be marked out of a game like Silva and Mata have been a few times in the Prem. Just have to let it go if he does and not overly criticise.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #472: Mar 03, 2013 01:39:49 pm
      >:D

Couldn't resist. The lad has skill, but could easily be marked out of a game like Silva and Mata have been a few times in the Prem. Just have to let it go if he does and not overly criticise.

The difference is, Suarez and Gerrard can also pick out the passes Coutinho plays.

Marking one man out of a game is one thing, but three men? Forget it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #473: Mar 03, 2013 02:22:43 pm
      They have to sound unbiased, even if they do know what it means.

We're not the victims of that "odd" commentary, so there's no need to make out like we are.

I don't see it as having anything to do with being biased if he didn't say it was strange. It is just failing to recognise the obvious about the loyalty and support. Not saying we are victims either.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #474: Mar 03, 2013 02:25:49 pm
      It is just failing to recognise the obvious about the loyalty and support.

This is off topic m but I've often wondered... are you related to Zed?
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #475: Mar 03, 2013 02:28:47 pm
      The difference is, Suarez and Gerrard can also pick out the passes Coutinho plays.

Marking one man out of a game is one thing, but three men? Forget it.

Haha and add sturridge to this. miam :P
      our best team is as such IMO
                      Sturridge   
      Coutinho              Suarez

Hendo
             Lucas          Gerrard

Anyone of the front 4 can score and Gerrard too. Anyone can assist and we have flair and pace.

This team can win against vs anyone if we can keep the defense solid enough. And we still need some wingers to compete for places. But this team is capable of great things.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #476: Mar 03, 2013 03:25:31 pm
      Loved yesterdays game. Not just the performance (Coutinho looked great, Suarez hat-trick and even Downing scored), and a special mention to the traveling fans. A really good day.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #477: Mar 03, 2013 03:48:35 pm
      We played "Like men possessed" as Shanks would say...
      Couldn't fault anyone..

Next up Mr Bale and his chums !!..
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #478: Mar 03, 2013 06:13:10 pm
      Thought we were immense yesterday. We fought hard and played some lovely football. Suarez and Coutinho ripped them apart. Reina was back to near his best. Carragher showing why we're going to miss him next Season.

A couple of bad performances too but today is not the day for that. Congratulations to the team for the win.

I said yesterday that i think we can get 33 points from our remaining eleven games, well it's one down and ten to go. With Sturridge to come back in and our games against Spurs and Chelsea at home then i see no reason why we can't do it.

Got to say a massive thank you to our away fans, they took that stadium over and were absolutely top class. If you'd listened to that game on the radio you'd have thought it was us at home. Brilliant.

Well done Redmen, next up is Phase 2, Yids at home.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #479: Mar 03, 2013 06:24:10 pm
      Only saw the highlights, Luis still doing his thang, some season he's having. And Pepe showing what he's made of, good to see. Wigan certainly had a few chances, so 4 goals and a clean sheet was a great result away.
      Didn't see enough of the match to say much about it, but Downing must've had a nose-bleed after scoring, haven't seen him so far up in ages. Good to see red shirts popping up in the 6 yard box, need more of it.
      And at last, we're converting/doing something with free kicks, or at least, Luis is.
      Fingers crossed for Coutinho, keep the form going.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #480: Mar 03, 2013 07:27:40 pm
      only saw the highlights as bmck did  but totally agree with Billy1's comments below
      Well done the REDS,that was a great result and it was good to see all players fighting for the ball.I chose Suarez s my man of the match but could not decide on the second.Pepe played brilliantly and made some world class saves.Young Coutinho was fantastic and he made 2 of our goals,the first one to Downing was inch perfect and I reckon even I would of scored.The second through ball to Suarez was also inch perfect,this lad has got it all,the football,the ability to beat a man and the football brain to find a teammate,a bargain buy who did not cost the earth.All I want now is for the lads to show the consistency of the last few weeks through to the end of the season.
      Thought Pepe was back to his best, can't wait for the Yids, bring em on !
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #481: Mar 04, 2013 07:29:17 am
      What a crucial win! We have not won at the DW stadium for several years thus it's nice to finally get a win. Wigan had their chances but Reina clearly was showing form and looks inspired. This win has improved our goal difference although not sure if it can be a deciding factor come May. I saw a good performance like this against Man City but Wigan do not have the quality City have and that gave us our emphatic victory. I thought we shouldn't have back off, play contain football and let Wigan play their football. We have managed to gain ground with Arsenal but unluckily, the rest of the teams we are chasing won.  We have gained a winning momentum now and Spurs are coming next. Absolutely big game this week.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #482: Mar 04, 2013 08:06:35 am
      Super win at the place that hasn't brought us much joy in years gone by.

Wigan were sh*te yes but thats down to us never letting them get in the game. Downing's header plunged the knife in deep and our second was the fatal twist. That type of penetration has been evident for the last two seasons but the major diffefence is how clinical we are being with it now against these sides that we have struggled to dominate in seasons gone by, including this one.

Coutinho looks a lovely little player and might be just what the doctor ordered for us. Suarez keeps going from strength to strength, Lucas is edging closer and closer to the player he was before his injury troubles with every passing game and Reina has another clean sheet. And Downing - almost as if its unfashionable or taboo to give him any praise. True, he'll never be a £20 million player but he's an ever present at the moment and putting in shifts and is as deserving of praise now as he was the pelters we have all given him throughout his time here. Impressed with his distribution, positioning and covering.

Two wins on the bounce now and its great to see us sticking the ball in the net and not conceding but if i'm honest, whilst its great to see us kicking arse like we have against Swansea and Wigan, and I really do love it when we do, I'm intrigued and interested to see how we go into the Spurs game at Anfield next week on the back of these results. I don't want us changing our approach and showing them allsorts of respect - lets take it to them exactly how we have Swansea and and Wigan. Its Anfield, lets go at them and play our game - a win against them would carry the run on and be the catylist for us then going on to destroy Southampton and Villa.

Want to see that the gaffer has learned from other, previous little runs we've had stopped short by sides above us by going hell for leather.

Lets keep it going.

Quick Reply