Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Match fixing

Read 10726 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Re: Match fixing
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2013 10:51:56 pm
      Funny aye, but as comments have been made about Man U, it's all of a sudden hush-hush when the rumour is that it involved Liverpool. ;)

Like I say, none of which tarnish the English club. Whoever it is. It is the European club that is under investigation.

Still, we wait for the day when the FA are investigated and Ferguson convicted. May take a while that one :)
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2013 11:09:24 pm
      I think the problem is the all encompassing phrase 'match fixing'. 
      Now unless both teams are involved, fixing a match to the exact required result must be nigh on impossible.
      But betting on something like the first throw in being in the first 10 seconds of a match and having one player on the payroll who kicks the ball straight out from the kick off is dead easy.
      That's why it's quite possible that the game involved might be us v Debrecen but we would be totally unaware of anything.
      Of course you can guarantee that if it is us the press will have a field day with it.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2013 11:14:46 pm
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho
      #LFC have had no contact from Europol following claims that their CL clash with Debrecen in Sep 2009 was part of the match-fixing scandal.

Keeper Vukasin Poleksic allegedly bribed by fixers to ensure more than 2 goals in the game but didn't do a very good job as #LFC won 1-0.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2013 11:18:34 pm
      #LFC have had no contact from Europol following claims that their CL clash with Debrecen in Sep 2009 was part of the match-fixing scandal.

Keeper Vukasin Poleksic allegedly bribed by fixers to ensure more than 2 goals in the game but didn't do a very good job as #LFC won 1-0.

Or LFC didn't do a very good job.

That keeper must be gutted.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2013 11:28:59 pm
      Chelsea spring to mind.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,011 posts | 2735 
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2013 11:36:19 pm
      Apparently the keeper was pissed off Gerrard missed a few chances :lmao:
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #52: Feb 05, 2013 12:14:42 am
      So let me get this straight.  We couldn't score 2 against a side that had been bought , or had been attempted to be bought.  Sounds about right.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Feb 05, 2013 01:30:18 am
      Straight away thought of the Barca Chelsea game but doubt it. Too high profile.

That ridiculous 7-1 win by Lyon vs Zagreb (i i think it was Zagreb anyway) must be one of them. That was just stupid.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #54: Feb 05, 2013 02:04:48 am
      In Chelsea Barca, Barca had a player wrongly sent off ffs. It wasn't that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #55: Feb 05, 2013 03:11:12 am
      Hungarian goalie was bribed (allegedly) to let in 3 goals. We only scored 1 past him! :D

I blame David N'Gog!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #56: Feb 05, 2013 07:25:21 am
      So its a Hungarian football team not a referee then? Just had to be us with our luck didn't it.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #57: Feb 05, 2013 08:03:33 am
      F***ing brillian t why did they have to be playing us tossers
      redno7
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 05, 2013 10:49:57 am
      F***ing brillian t why did they have to be playing us tossers

massive interest in eastern countries. Huge money put on and their keeper bribed. But the only bit that'll stick in the papers will be LFC involved. sad but true
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,935 posts | 501 
      Reply #59: Feb 05, 2013 11:46:35 am

Why always us?
      We need to get a job lot of Mario's T-shirts.

Ah well, the main thing is we had nothing to do with the fix, was seemingly just Debrecen's dodgy goalie.

Biggest embarassment is probably -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9848809/Liverpools-2009-Champions-League-match-against-Debrecen-allegedly-fixed-by-Hungarian-sides-goalkeeper.html

...The report in Ekstra Bladet claimed fixers wanted to rig the betting market for total goals in the match, but failed. The newspaper claimed that fixers wanted to ensure there were at least three goals in the match, and that according to court papers they texted each other to express frustration at Liverpool’s failure to score more...

Gonna take pelters over that.
      To be fair it is quite funny.

Could have been worse!
      Thought "oh no" when I saw the headlines!
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #60: Feb 05, 2013 01:00:25 pm
      I think there's nothing to this one at all.

From all I have read, it sounds like the goalkeeper failed to report that he had been approached by the gang, but no indication that he actually took the bribe and was trying to give the game.

If he was 'in' on the action to concede 2+ goals, then why did he fail? Some articles point out that he made a couple of decent saves in the game. Ultimately, he only condeded 1. Had he wanted to concede 2+, he could have easily done so. It just doesn't stack up.

Of course, the British media are just running with the story.. but it seems funny to me that Europol refused to say which match it involved, and suddenly a newspaper in Denmark (??) have been told by Europol that it was the Liverpool game.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #61: Feb 05, 2013 01:33:41 pm
      Hey I just realised I was at that game! Was an incredibly boring one and remember walking out feeling like we'd lost because we played so poorly.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #62: Feb 05, 2013 02:03:27 pm
      Uefa incident 1,234,975 - I can feel another five year ban coming on!!

Shows how bad we were that year, goalie gets bribed to concede three, we struggled to score one. 21st century Liverpool FC in a nutshell!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #63: Feb 05, 2013 02:10:49 pm
      Uefa incident 1,234,975 - I can feel another five year ban coming on!!

Shows how bad we were that year, goalie gets bribed to concede three, we struggled to score one. 21st century Liverpool FC in a nutshell!

You have to laugh, it is genuinely funny

However, I think you have to take into consideration that only the keeper was on the fiddle. The rest of the players, defence in particular, may have been busting a gut to stop us scoring
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #64: Feb 05, 2013 02:15:04 pm
      You have to laugh, it is genuinely funny

However, I think you have to take into consideration that only the keeper was on the fiddle. The rest of the players, defence in particular, may have been busting a gut to stop us scoring

Nah I refer you to above from Fletch Rox - it was a sh*te, mind-numbingly, boring game, we should of battered them by more, felt like F***ing off myself half-way through the game to the boozer.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #65: Feb 08, 2013 11:44:39 pm
      Rafael Benítez 'surprised' Liverpool game under scrutiny by Europol
      • Rafael Benítez saw nothing suspicious against Debrecen
      • Former Liverpool manager says inquiry is 'fantastic'

Dominic Fifield
      guardian.co.uk, Friday 8 February 2013 23.00 GMT

Rafael Benítez said he was "surprised" to learn that Liverpool's Champions League group game victory over Debrecen four years ago, a match he oversaw while manager at Anfield, had come under suspicion as part of Europol's investigation into match-fixing.

The Hungarian club have confirmed their goalkeeper, Vukasin Poleksic, had been questioned by Uefa having been approached by fixers before the game at Anfield, which Liverpool won 1-0 with a Dirk Kuyt's goal. No player or official involved with the game has been disciplined for any offence relating to it though Poleksic was banned for two years in 2010 by Uefa for failing to report an approach from match-fixers involving Debrecen's 4-3 defeat to Fiorentina in October 2009, a month after the Anfield tie.

Rob Wainwright, the director of Europol, the European Union's law-enforcement agency, had told a news conference on Monday that a total of 425 match officials, club officials, players, and serious criminals, from more than 15 countries, were suspected of being involved in attempts to fix matches, with 380 games under suspicion.

"I'm surprised, though it was nothing to do with [Liverpool]," Benítez said. "We went out to win the game, and we did. I didn't remember [anything suspicious]. It was a game we had to win, and we approached it to do just that. The fact it was 1-0 means it was quite difficult. I think that it's fantastic that the investigation is taking place, analysing those 300-odd games. If they find something then OK. If not, even better. But it's important to clarify things. I'm very happy with that."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/08/rafael-benitez-liverpool-europol?CMP=twt_gu
      StrikingMidfield
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #66: Feb 09, 2013 04:52:47 pm
      Seems like a whole lot of garbage to me. It all seems uptight and everything, and then somehow a Danish newspaper suddenly founds out some inside information? Wouldn't put it past the scum to try and take away a victory of ours. Fergie speaks Dutch?

Quick Reply