Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Liverpool MotM?

Enrique
      (3.2%)
      Carragher
      (0%)
      Johnson
      (0%)
      Gerrard
      (17.9%)
      Coutinho
      (5.8%)
      Suarez
      (46.8%)
      Downing
      (26.3%)
      Other...
      (0%)

Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham: In-game & post-match celebration

Read 41339 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,121 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham: In-game & post-match celebration
      Reply #598: Mar 10, 2013 08:55:01 pm
      I think hes spot on there Fed
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,004 posts | 521 
      Reply #599: Mar 10, 2013 08:55:37 pm
      I'm one of those who think we weren't great today, but got to put in perspective - Spurs are in great form - in midweek they hardly gave Inter Milan a kick of the ball, so to put 3 past them ain't too bad, even if it was mainly capitalising on a couple of mistakes. Plus you still have to capitalise when the mistakes get made, its not a given.

Downing played well again.
      Also credit to Joe Allen and BR for bringin him on. Both would have got a slagging if it hadn't worked, but it was the right move - we were getting bossed in midfield and it was after Allen came on that we started pressing them better and actually putting some tackles in, which is what rushed them into mistakes in the first place.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #600: Mar 10, 2013 09:00:01 pm

He's being sarcastic
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #601: Mar 10, 2013 09:07:47 pm
      Isn't that what nearly everyone has said in this thread, albeit without the doom mongering, gnashing of teeth and the relish that you have.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #602: Mar 10, 2013 09:16:31 pm

No.  The difference between you and me is that you're satisfied with one win; I want us to fix the mistakes so we win next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the... you get the idea.

The potential is there.

No.  The difference between you and me is that I can enjoy a win.  And I enjoyed the two previous wins as well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #603: Mar 10, 2013 09:32:40 pm

Mate what are you on about?  admitting we played poorly has nothing to do with getting behind the team.  We were poor.  And they outplayed us for about 70 minutes.  Rodgers screwed up his tactics, we scored and should have rammed it down their throats again but instead we sat back and gave Bale and Dembele ages on the ball.  They scored.  Then in the 2nd half they came out and were all over us for 15 minutes, go back and read the thread:

You think people were saying that because we were playing great?!?  No we were getting played off the park.  But we deserved some luck, we played City off the park and then lost points because of a mistake, we beat Everton and had it stolen at the end by the stupid ref, so it's our turn to profit from someone else screwing up.

But.  We still have a chance to get 4th.  It's slight.  But it's there.  And if we want that then we CANNOT play like we did today.  We have to go out and act like we want to win from the first whistle.  You're not "supporting" the club by pretending we played well today.  Great win but we have to fix the mistakes because it easily could have been a loss.  Onwards and upwards and Rodgers hopefully sorts it out.

What game were you F***ing watching??
      F**k off wum.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #604: Mar 10, 2013 09:39:52 pm
      Better to win playing badly than to not win at all.

The mancs have been doing that very thing for years.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #605: Mar 10, 2013 09:43:29 pm
      What game were you F***ing watching??

Indian Wells probably
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #606: Mar 10, 2013 09:55:32 pm
      No.  The difference between you and me is that I can enjoy a win.  And I enjoyed the two previous wins as well.

I think the difference in general is that you actually enjoy supporting Liverpool win or lose.

Only 7 points behind last years overall total. Let's hope we smash that and get back into the 60s for the first time since 09-10.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #607: Mar 10, 2013 10:24:57 pm
      The mancs have been doing that very thing for years.
      And its won them the league this year. Their current team bar Van Persie, is nothing special.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #608: Mar 10, 2013 10:49:42 pm
      Just got back now. Enjoyable afternoon that! We've played better than that and lost a few games this season so It was nice to turn one around when it didn't look like it was going for us, particularly against a very good Spurs side who really looked the part for long spells of the game. I thought it was a bit gung ho to play 4-4-2 against this lot but tbf if paid off with the goal and then a really good spell for 15 or so minutes after going ahead but their extra man in midfield really hurt us from about the 35 min mark right up until Br made the Allen substitution. Bit of fortune to get back into it but from then on we looked the much more likely to go on take the 3 points. I thought Steven Gerrard was absolutely AWESOME today and i can't quite believe he's not got the motm vote!?!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #609: Mar 10, 2013 11:19:33 pm
      Apart from the last couple of aggrevating posts I havent read anything else on here. Will do that later for my own personal entertainment.  Saw the game live, and am going to post a few observations on the match in general. I thought we played ok first half and although the shots, corners stats etc. didn't look great, I wasn't aware that spurs were any better than us. There was a biut of stalemate in the middle of the park, they had their moments and we had ours. Louis goal could easilly be goal of the season, from the build up to the execution, I think it will be along time before I witness a better one. Their goal, quite a basic set play, poorly defended. When they scored the second under similar circumstances, I was begining to think they would score from every cross from there on in. They did get on top, we were under pressure and we didn't press them tight, we were giving the ball away cheaply, and our pass sucess rate must have taken a real bashing. We were sh*te, for about 15 mins and I thought it was game over. Then we got a few passes going, settled a bit in the middle, pressed them closer and forced the mistake. And yes, it was a mistake under pressure. Loris could hit that ball 99 times out of 100 on the training field, but when you have a player steaming after it, that is what causes you to take your eye off the ball for that split second, and bang, its history, so credit where credit is due. From that point on we slowly gained control and got our passing going again. Still a few mistakes, bad pass or wrong option mabey, but the important thing is, spurs started doing it MORE than us. The pen ? No doubt, didnt see too many spuds complaining either.  We were well on top for the last ten and I think Bale had a shot from about 40 yds that went in row z at the anny road. He had a decent game actually, he didnt get booked for diving.
      So in a nut shell, the way I see it, we deserved the win, we wern't brilliant by any means, but when we were on top and the better side we made it pay. Good sub with Allen for Coutinho who was looking tired, and Henderson for Sturridge, which helped us take control in the middle. I did notice Henderson looks like he's been in the gym, looked a bit bulked up when he changed his shirt to come on. A good sign may be. Best I've seen from Downing as well, an absolute stormer. Voted Louis motm for his persistent harrassment of every spurs player within reach, as well as his undoubted quality once again. And we're above the bitters.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #610: Mar 10, 2013 11:24:16 pm
      ^^ Oh Gerns....put some paragraphs in  ;)

Re: Liverpool vs. Tottenham: 10/3/13 : 16:00 GMT
      « Reply #150 on: Yesterday at 11:47:36 PM »

Can see us getting a penalty tomorrow as the only way they'll be able to stop our Luis will be to foul him, and they'll be as worried about Suarez as we are about Bale.

Will be special to stand on the KOP and support the REDMEN again.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: Hope it's a Mothers Day to remember xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou LFC....indeed we did get a pen and it was the best Mothers Day pressie I could have wished for  ;D

What a great day to be on the Kop  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #611: Mar 10, 2013 11:27:43 pm
      Apart from the last couple of aggrevating posts I havent read anything else on here. Will do that later for my own personal entertainment.  Saw the game live, and am going to post a few observations on the match in general. I thought we played ok first half and although the shots, corners stats etc. didn't look great, I wasn't aware that spurs were any better than us. There was a biut of stalemate in the middle of the park, they had their moments and we had ours. Louis goal could easilly be goal of the season, from the build up to the execution, I think it will be along time before I witness a better one. Their goal, quite a basic set play, poorly defended. When they scored the second under similar circumstances, I was begining to think they would score from every cross from there on in. They did get on top, we were under pressure and we didn't press them tight, we were giving the ball away cheaply, and our pass sucess rate must have taken a real bashing. We were sh*te, for about 15 mins and I thought it was game over. Then we got a few passes going, settled a bit in the middle, pressed them closer and forced the mistake. And yes, it was a mistake under pressure. Loris could hit that ball 99 times out of 100 on the training field, but when you have a player steaming after it, that is what causes you to take your eye off the ball for that split second, and bang, its history, so credit where credit is due. From that point on we slowly gained control and got our passing going again. Still a few mistakes, bad pass or wrong option mabey, but the important thing is, spurs started doing it MORE than us. The pen ? No doubt, didnt see too many spuds complaining either.  We were well on top for the last ten and I think Bale had a shot from about 40 yds that went in row z at the anny road. He had a decent game actually, he didnt get booked for diving.
      So in a nut shell, the way I see it, we deserved the win, we wern't brilliant by any means, but when we were on top and the better side we made it pay. Good sub with Allen for Coutinho who was looking tired, and Henderson for Sturridge, which helped us take control in the middle. I did notice Henderson looks like he's been in the gym, looked a bit bulked up when he changed his shirt to come on. A good sign may be. Best I've seen from Downing as well, an absolute stormer. Voted Louis motm for his persistent harrassment of every spurs player within reach, as well as his undoubted quality once again. And we're above the bitters.
      That about sums it up , i;ve seen us play better against worst teams and come away empty handed , the Downing goal was a stroke of good luck and in fairness to him he persisted and came up trumps . for me Coutinho has made the difference and will only add to the team .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #612: Mar 10, 2013 11:27:57 pm
      F***ing get in.

Heads could of easily dropped when we went 2-1 down but we kept on fighting and got our rewards. People can blame the defending from Spurs all they like, we still had to take advantage and we did just that and did it big style. If Downing doesn't gamble on the back pass then Lloris can just clear it with ease, if Suarez doesn't cleverly knock it past Assou-Ekotto then we don't get a pen. Our play was just as pivotal to our goals as Spurs' typically sh*t defending was.

F***ing made up.

I thought the ref did alright calming situations down but also felt he missed a few tricks. Countinho, Sturridge and Johnson all should of had pens and Vertonghen should of gone for that hand ball as he was stopping a clear scoring chance for Sturridge. But I did think the ref did alright in calming the game down when it could of got heated and unlike most refs he didn't just go dishing out yellow cards which was nice to see.

What a win this is for us though. Keeps our run going, keeps our momentum at Anfield going and puts us above those bitter F***ing cu*ts across Stanley Park. Keep this sort of fight and desire from now until the end of the season and there's no reason we can't still finish in the top four.

And congrats to Luis Suarez getting his 50th Liverpool goal. Like the majority of his others, it was rather special.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #613: Mar 10, 2013 11:31:22 pm
      I thought Jose Enrique was absolutely fantastic. In fact, anyone who was even close to Bale did well. He had no input in the game whatsoever until about 60-70 minutes in.

Even though I'm happy with the win, I'm fed up with the soft goals we concede against good teams like the ones we did last night. We've gotta get rid of them because I swear they're provoking me to throw the remote right into the screen.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #614: Mar 10, 2013 11:31:51 pm
      ^^ Oh Gerns....put some paragraphs in  ;)

Re: Liverpool vs. Tottenham: 10/3/13 : 16:00 GMT
      « Reply #150 on: Yesterday at 11:47:36 PM »

Can see us getting a penalty tomorrow as the only way they'll be able to stop our Luis will be to foul him, and they'll be as worried about Suarez as we are about Bale.

Will be special to stand on the KOP and support the REDMEN again.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: Hope it's a Mothers Day to remember xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou LFC....indeed we did get a pen and it was the best Mothers Day pressie I could have wished for  ;D

What a great day to be on the Kop  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Mystic Meg  ;) You should do the lotto numbers Cas . :)
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #615: Mar 10, 2013 11:33:26 pm

Top post. Says it all.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #616: Mar 10, 2013 11:35:48 pm
      Mystic Meg  ;) You should do the lotto numbers Cas . :)

What, to supplement her Premium Bond income? :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #617: Mar 10, 2013 11:40:26 pm
      And its won them the league this year. Their current team bar Van Persie, is nothing special.

Agree. One of the weakest Utd sides I've seen.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #618: Mar 10, 2013 11:46:44 pm
      What, to supplement her Premium Bond income? :D
      So that's where she gets her money from  ;D
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #619: Mar 10, 2013 11:51:33 pm
      this is sports... anything can happen.  we can dominate for 90 full minutes and lose in injury time... things happen.

I thought we played well and it could've went for both sides.  We were able to take the chances we got and that ultimately proved to be the difference.  Gerrard getting that PK goal... you can see how elated he was... raw emotion.

Jones i thought was ok... better than what most of our members have said about him.  What he is lacking is more game time... it was very clear he had the jitters.  I can't blame the lad for feeling some pressure in playing in this massive game.  with game time you develop a certain calm.  Is he a Reina, no i would not say so.  If we lost Reina in the summer can we rely on Jones?  I would probably say no we need to bring in someone. 

Suarez and Downing will be my two MOTM  with coutinho as a close third.  Reason was simple, suarez was a workhorse and downing imo is learning the work ethics from suarez now and you can see him with a ton more hustle.  His goal came 100% from his willingness to hustle.  Coutinho I really enjoy watching.  My father is a diehard Man Utd fan and even he was surprised at what a great deal we got for him.  His movement and familiarity with the ball I would say is tops in our squad.  It was this skill that lead to the suarez goal.. such a thing of beauty. he needs to build up his stamina and physique ... but we already knew that

There were alot of other solid players today too like Gerrard and carragher.. agger as well for the most part.  I'm not going to go into our need to get better with set pieces because time and time again we leak goals this way.  Folks we are not ready for the big stages yet with the current back four.... but i have high hopes for BR and us in the coming season.

Lucas to me had an average game.  made some glaring mistakes but he did have some moments of solid play.  Johnson needs to work on his defensive coverage, but i liked his movement up the field.  Jose enrique to me played a good game.  i'm always in awe of his strength in the ball.  however, he and coutinho overlapped a few times down at our corner (even bumping into each other once) and ultimately lead to a bale cross in for a goal.

i am pleased with the win.  when playing a top side like the spurs, we'll take it :D  All the top 4 clubs have their fair share of ugly wins.. but its the ability to dig out 3 pts no matter what is a big difference between them and a middle table side
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #620: Mar 11, 2013 12:21:58 am
      I was a regular on the kop in the 70s and always made an extra effort to get to the Spurs games. The big interest for me, was that Spurs hadn't won at Anfield for 60 Years. I think in about 1974, Not 100%, need to check the stats when i've got more time. I think that went to about 71 years before they managed a win, but I thought it would never end. Was well dissapointed at the time, but memories like that, make days like today, even more enjoyable, and I can't wait for next season already, to start that build up once again.  ;D

Quick Reply