Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Southampton 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 43363 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Southampton 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #690: Mar 17, 2013 06:31:31 pm
      Seems like any team that can bully us off the ball beats us. Oldham did it, Southampton just did it. One other team in the premiership did it too.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #691: Mar 17, 2013 08:52:51 pm
      I'm wondering how much consideration of the oppo's tactics get factored into each game.  I've heard Brendan this year talk about us only worrying about our game which going by what he said, seems incredibly naive in the modern game.  As does not playing a DM against teams that are more physical and press.

I was expecting an easy win yesterday as well.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #692: Mar 17, 2013 09:49:45 pm
      We should change the scoreline on the thread. I don't remember us beating Southampton 3-1!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #693: Mar 17, 2013 09:53:42 pm
      We should change the scoreline on the thread. I don't remember us beating Southampton 3-1!

Been on since yesterday that, and Jesus its quiet on here tonight.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #694: Mar 17, 2013 10:13:08 pm

Been on since yesterday that, and Jesus its quiet on here tonight.

I didn't even notice that the score are upside down. I'm so depress/sad that we can't keep it up for a Euro spot.  >:(
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #695: Mar 17, 2013 11:56:47 pm
      Looking at the video and reading the reports of game it look like the reds were not interested in winning at all. A disgusting performance from proffessional players,it appears players were in some kind of mental fog? Sturridge has been absent 2 games now,and skertal and allen are done now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,159 posts | 8544 
      Reply #696: Mar 18, 2013 01:21:36 am
      Looking at the video and reading the reports of game it look like the reds were not interested in winning at all. A disgusting performance from proffessional players,it appears players were in some kind of mental fog? Sturridge has been absent 2 games now,and skertal and allen are done now.

Done in what way, seeing as Brendan thinks Allen is the second coming, I don't see that happening anytime soon. All it means is he'll have his operation and will be back for next season.

I still wouldn't sell Skrtel even if he had a bad game yesterday, if all the reports are true about only having £20 million to spend, I would not want to see the squad weakened further and to be honest I don't see City coming in with a bid like they did last summer.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #697: Mar 18, 2013 01:51:48 am
      What is going on yesterday worst for a while Steven g not the player he was

One bad performance and he's not the player he was? Okay.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #698: Mar 18, 2013 03:11:55 am
      The reason we lost was because Southampton pressed and we didn't have the quality needed on the day to exploit that space.

Credit to Southampton, they had a plan and it worked to perfection.

I don't have any scapegoats, everyone bar Jones, Enrique and Coutinho were poor. I like Skrtel and think he deserves another season and was excellent under Kenny. Now I think he's out the door.

Johnson needs to be on the bench, he's automatic first choice and maybe this will show that if he doesn't improve, he won't play. Start Kelly or Wisdom. Okay, they don't be as strong attacking, but damm, they'll get their head on the ball no matter the damage it'll cause em. No hesistency, head that ball!!

Allen was poor, but so was Gerrard. Lucas looks stronger and we were more compact but I think Southampton tired around that time too.

Suarez looked frustrated and dissapointing, but he is doing it all himself so he can have bad days. Just wish he'd channel that anger into his football, but he's the best player in the PL so keep on doing what you do Luis.

Sturridge was terrible. No touch, didn't work hard and he could have played for 2 days and wouldn't have scored. He's very talented, and will be a huge player but I think he needs some coaching on what to do inside the box. That'll come playing with Suarez, and the summer coaching.

Sturridge can score wonder goals but it seems like he is so wasteful in front of goal. In games like this, Man United (sorry to mention them but it's true) win because they take their one chance, we can't blow 3 chances.

Enrique Coutinho and Jones done well for the team. I will say Jones does make the odd mistake but he sure does make a few excellent saves at times. I think we should keep him, done well when called upon.

Enrique was decent, always looks calm, composed in any situation and is a very direct player. Willing to play a ball to the strikers to run onto. Very sweet left foot.

Coutinho tried and got a goal, but he can only do so much. Great little player.

As for the rest, they were poor and unspectacular. 

Main problem was energy. We didn't match Southampton stride for stride. They won 50/50 challenges, got the ball in the box, and won a few headers. If Carragher was playing i think he'd have headed it clear but injuries happen and we didn't have an adequate replacement.

I expected the players to be on a high after Tottenham, just seems like they had no legs or energy. Almost like we had nothing to play for.
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013 03:42:19 am by lfc_ynwa »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #699: Mar 18, 2013 06:58:02 am

quote from lfc_ynwa
      I expected the players to be on a high after Tottenham, just seems like they had no legs or energy. Almost like we had nothing to play for.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       I suppose the players were all tired after playing 2 midweek games after beating Spurs,oh f**k we didn't have a midweek game.So no excuses we were just lousy  and don't have any excuses for an inept display. :f_tongueincheek:
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #700: Mar 18, 2013 07:21:35 am

quote from lfc_ynwa
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       I suppose the players were all tired after playing 2 midweek games after beating Spurs,oh f**k we didn't have a midweek game.So no excuses we were just lousy  and don't have any excuses for an inept display. :f_tongueincheek:

Exactly mate. Southampton just wanted it more.

I know we have a lot of Irish fans, it's starting to look like the odd player or ten have Irish roots after looking hungover out on that pitch.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #701: Mar 18, 2013 09:05:53 am
      if all the reports are true about only having £20 million to spend
      What? For serious? Where did you hear that news?

Talk about utterly depressing
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #702: Mar 18, 2013 11:00:13 am
      Once again we slip up against a team that most of us would have expected to win.  As many have said it's been a topsy, turvy season that has seen us look world class one game and complete amateurs the next.

The reason's or excuses have come thick and fast from all quarters, blaming the players on the pitch, the size and/or quality of the squad, the manager, the owners, the CEO, the tough starting fixtures etc. etc.

Team selection and tactics were again an issue, did Brendan underestimate the opposition or did the players have the upcoming International games in the back of their minds? 

Very disappointed with the result and the way we cave in when faced with a determined opposition who don't allow us to play our own game.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #703: Mar 18, 2013 11:05:17 am
      What? For serious? Where did you hear that news?

Talk about utterly depressing

Newspaper speculation, don't get depressed based on it. If we finish the transfer window having spent £20m and we're sh*te next year because of it then it'll be time to get depressed. Getting depressed now based on the speculation of a bored journalist is entirely pointless.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #704: Mar 18, 2013 11:59:42 am
      Quote from reddebs
      Once again we slip up against a team that most of us would have expected to win.  As many have said it's been a topsy, turvy season that has seen us look world class one game and complete amateurs the next.

Very disappointed with the result and the way we cave in when faced with a determined opposition who don't allow us to play our own game.

In fairness, Southampton are not the worst side we've played against. But we are a confidence team. If we score, we start playing like champions. If we concede, the heads drop and we play like relegation candidates. The reality is we are where we should be at this time, an average mid-table side, getting mid-table results. We'll win a couple, then lose a game, win another, draw another, win, lose, and so on. Form is all over the place and there's no consistency.

The players can either fight for every point between now and QPR, or pack it in and go on a two month break before the real holidays begin, like the end of last year.
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013 12:21:47 pm by lfc across the water »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #705: Mar 18, 2013 12:01:36 pm
      In fairness, Southampton are not the worst side we've played against. But we are a confidence team. If we score, we start playing like champions. If we concede, the heads drop and we play like relegation candidates. The reality is we are where we should be at this time, an average mid-table side, getting mid-table results. We'll win a couple, then lose a game, win another, draw another. , and there's no consistency.

Well thats down to the manager,his job is to make us consistant.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #706: Mar 18, 2013 12:11:51 pm
      Newspaper speculation, don't get depressed based on it. If we finish the transfer window having spent £20m and we're sh*te next year because of it then it'll be time to get depressed. Getting depressed now based on the speculation of a bored journalist is entirely pointless.

Well said mate. It won't stop the great depression for the Twatters though.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #707: Mar 18, 2013 12:17:51 pm
      Well said mate. It won't stop the great depression for the Twatters though.

Who is a twatter?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #708: Mar 18, 2013 12:31:18 pm

The thousands of people who have no life and spend their sad existences following no mark tossers on social media sites. What makes it even more sad is that the majority of stuff typed on there is absolute bollocks which is then spread further afield by even bigger tossers.

The internet has created a monster with these social media sites or whatever they are called, people can't communicate verbally anymore, they are brought up on e-mails and text messages. Trust me, i work in two safety critical industries and unless some people have a  mobile phone or a tablet they seem unable to communicate with others.

I don't know what's more worrying myself, the fact that people tweet they've just had a sh*t and a cup of coffee, or the slight possibility that someone may even be interested in that information.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #709: Mar 18, 2013 12:41:42 pm
      P*ssed off with result, but to be honest, when I saw that we had no Reina, Carra or Lucas and that Allen was playing, I thought we were screwed.

No european football for us next season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #710: Mar 18, 2013 12:51:04 pm
      The thousands of people who have no life and spend their sad existences following no mark tossers on social media sites. What makes it even more sad is that the majority of stuff typed on there is absolute bollocks which is then spread further afield by even bigger tossers.

The internet has created a monster with these social media sites or whatever they are called, people can't communicate verbally anymore, they are brought up on e-mails and text messages. Trust me, i work in two safety critical industries and unless some people have a  mobile phone or a tablet they seem unable to communicate with others.

I don't know what's more worrying myself, the fact that people tweet they've just had a sh*t and a cup of coffee, or the slight possibility that someone may even be interested in that information.

Well, the trouble is nobody can tell what's BS and what's the truth until it becomes self evident. It all depends on the veracity of the 'story'.

For example, if I say to you we've only got £20m to spend in the summer, that 'could' be the truth. But if I was going to say to you we've got £90m to spend, that's obviously BS. Or is it? How do you know? You don't.

If however, you're saying don't listen to any of it until we know for sure, then fair enough.

But we've all been caught believing a BS story at some point in our lives, in that respect, we're all twatters
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #711: Mar 18, 2013 12:51:48 pm
      Results doesn't lie. We simply have too many average players on our squad. The more BR goes back to Swansea for their players, the more likely that we will look like an average team next season. By playing Allen, BR has simply underestimated Southampton and it appears that he did not watch the videos of their previous games. They are not a bad side, a very committed side with players that fought for every ball and took every opportunity to put the ball into our box. We were the opposite.

How I wish BR stopped heaping excessive prasies on the players after every victory. he should demand more and better performance from the players like what Rafa did. Excessive praises simply leads to complacency.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #712: Mar 18, 2013 01:17:29 pm
      I'm not sure that Brendan watches any opposition play, he has someone else to do it for him according to the offal.

Chris Davies    Head of opposition analysis

Chris Davies joined Liverpool as head of opposition analysis in July 2012.

The UEFA A licence holder followed manager Brendan Rodgers from Swansea City, where he worked in a similar role to great success for two years supplying the manager and his backroom team with meticulous scouting reports on the opposition.

"Primarily I'll be looking after the opposition scouting and analysis - my job is to control the scouts and watch games myself," Davies explains.

"I'll then study four recent games on DVD. From there, using all the information and intelligence we've gathered on our opponent, I'll put together a presentation and report for the manager and players.

"I make sure we cover every single detail in terms of the opposition so we're fully prepared for them."

Davies began his footballing career as a midfielder at Reading, where was made captain of the youth team by his manager - a certain Brendan Rodgers.

He was also an international for Wales youth sides, but his career took a different path in 2004 when he began studying at Loughborough University for three years, obtaining a first class honours degree in Sport and Exercise Science.

From 2007, Davies worked in various coaching and playing roles around the globe, including a stint as Academy coach at New Zealand club Hawke's Bay United.

Three years later, the Spanish-speaker was reunited with Rodgers at Swansea City, playing an integral role in the Swans' route back into the top flight.

"It's all about that little bit extra you can provide to the team to help them," Davies adds on his responsibilities at Melwood. "It promotes a sense of calm in the players' and coaches' minds in knowing what to expect. Hopefully I can prove myself by them seeing what we're saying actually happen on the pitch.

"After many years putting the templates together, we're now in a good place where we feel we've got everything we need to know about the opponent when the game arrives."

Davies was one of Rodgers' first appointments to his new backroom team at Anfield - and he's ready for the exciting challenge that awaits.

He says: "Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world and it's a privilege to be here. We've got a really big opportunity here to make our mark at the club and do something good.

"The day you walk into a club like Liverpool, it's a very proud day no matter what your role - whether player, coaching staff, scouting, kit team, analysis or kitchen staff.

"All of us that have come in are going to fight every day to try and be a success. That's the only way you can walk out with your head held high at a club like this - you have to be successful. That's exactly what Brendan and this team plan to do."

Quick Reply