Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Southampton 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 43325 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Southampton 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #713: Mar 18, 2013 01:19:26 pm
      I'm not sure whether am I the only one that noticed that everytime, Downing, Enrique or whoever about to swing in a cross into the box, no players ran to the near post to meet the crosses or become a nuisance to defenders. All our players inside the box were always at the far past bolted to the pitch. I'm dissapointed that the coaches never look to improve on the matter, the problem has been there since the first game of the season. Our player atack the near post would create more space inside the box. We saw so many teams scoring from near post from in swinging crosses except us.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #714: Mar 18, 2013 01:24:49 pm
      I'm not sure that Brendan watches any opposition play, he has someone else to do it for him according to the offal.

Chris Davies    Head of opposition analysis

That doesn't sound too abnormal to me actually. I'm sure he does the one scouting trip like all managers, but a lot of them rely on someone to watch film and things like that.

I'm not sure whether am I the only one that noticed that everytime, Downing, Enrique or whoever about to swing in a cross into the box, no players ran to the near post to meet the crosses or become a nuisance to defenders. All our players inside the box were always at the far past bolted to the pitch. I'm dissapointed that the coaches never look to improve on the matter, the problem has been there since the first game of the season. Our player atack the near post would create more space inside the box. We saw so many teams scoring from near post from in swinging crosses except us.

Yeah still a problem for us. Last year we had nobody in the box. This year we have statues in the box. Slight improvement I guess. Definitely needs to be sorted out. One player goes near post, the other goes far post. It's not that hard of a concept, but the lads never seem to grasp it.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #715: Mar 18, 2013 01:32:41 pm
      The best team won on Saturday. There were 2 teams who had to fight for different reasons... Southampton wanted to survive more than we wanted to get into the top4.
      I fear if this is our level of commitment, then the rest of the fixtures will be extremely tough. We were too soft again yesterday and i am very concerned with BR's tactics being away from home and not playing a DM, even more so after seeing that we clearly needed a change in formation after the first 20mins and nothing was done. It could and probably should have been 3-0 to the Saints before the half hour, yet BR didnt change anything.

Overall it was a very poor display from everybody in the team and i hope that the break does the players some good and that they come back focussed on getting into the top 4. We now need to win all our remaining matches and given this type of display, i cannot blame anybody for thinking its over already. This squad needs belief and a stern kick up the bum...besides a very healthy dose of good luck.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #716: Mar 18, 2013 01:42:24 pm
      The reason we lost was because Southampton pressed and we didn't have the quality needed on the day to exploit that space.

Credit to Southampton, they had a plan and it worked to perfection.

I don't have any scapegoats, everyone bar Jones, Enrique and Coutinho were poor. I like Skrtel and think he deserves another season and was excellent under Kenny. Now I think he's out the door.

Johnson needs to be on the bench, he's automatic first choice and maybe this will show that if he doesn't improve, he won't play. Start Kelly or Wisdom. Okay, they don't be as strong attacking, but damm, they'll get their head on the ball no matter the damage it'll cause em. No hesistency, head that ball!!

Allen was poor, but so was Gerrard. Lucas looks stronger and we were more compact but I think Southampton tired around that time too.

Suarez looked frustrated and dissapointing, but he is doing it all himself so he can have bad days. Just wish he'd channel that anger into his football, but he's the best player in the PL so keep on doing what you do Luis.

Sturridge was terrible. No touch, didn't work hard and he could have played for 2 days and wouldn't have scored. He's very talented, and will be a huge player but I think he needs some coaching on what to do inside the box. That'll come playing with Suarez, and the summer coaching.

Sturridge can score wonder goals but it seems like he is so wasteful in front of goal. In games like this, Man United (sorry to mention them but it's true) win because they take their one chance, we can't blow 3 chances.

Enrique Coutinho and Jones done well for the team. I will say Jones does make the odd mistake but he sure does make a few excellent saves at times. I think we should keep him, done well when called upon.

Enrique was decent, always looks calm, composed in any situation and is a very direct player. Willing to play a ball to the strikers to run onto. Very sweet left foot.

Coutinho tried and got a goal, but he can only do so much. Great little player.

As for the rest, they were poor and unspectacular. 

Main problem was energy. We didn't match Southampton stride for stride. They won 50/50 challenges, got the ball in the box, and won a few headers. If Carragher was playing i think he'd have headed it clear but injuries happen and we didn't have an adequate replacement.

I expected the players to be on a high after Tottenham, just seems like they had no legs or energy. Almost like we had nothing to play for.

Very good summary of the game/performances, so I will just build on this with a few of my own thoughts: 

Skrtel - I have been one of the more vocal supporters of his during the last 3-5 months, but he was awful yesterday!!  That performance may have been the final straw for BR, and Skrtel may well be on his way in the summer.  That being said, it looks like we will be losing 3 CB's in Carra, Coates, and now Skrtel, so we will need to bring in 3 CB's over the summer to replace them. 

Allen - Again, I have been a big supporter of his, but he has done himself no favors with his performances this season.  Unfortunately, we lack the strength, physicality, and athleticism to go toe-to-toe with some of the "typical" English teams and a big part of the problem is that we are soft in the middle.  Lucas is willing to put himself about, but he is still slight and neither one of Hendo or Allen have the strength needed in a game like this.  We need a real bull in the middle to play next to Gerrard in games like this.  A player like Diame/Gustavo/Bender/Capoue/etc. who will add some steel, grit, and toughness to our midfield.  We have lost too many games this season because we have been outfought and bullied in the middle!!

It is a rare day when Gerrard has a poor game, and it is even more rare when Suarez has an off day.  Unfortunately, both were off their game against the Saints and it cost us. 
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #717: Mar 18, 2013 01:46:50 pm
      That doesn't sound too abnormal to me actually. I'm sure he does the one scouting trip like all managers, but a lot of them rely on someone to watch film and things like that.

Yeah still a problem for us. Last year we had nobody in the box. This year we have statues in the box. Slight improvement I guess. Definitely needs to be sorted out. One player goes near post, the other goes far post. It's not that hard of a concept, but the lads never seem to grasp it.

Exactly. I remember the good old days, Rushie and Kenny will never be like statues. They'll be continuously running inside the box, creating confusion and took defenders with them and and out of the blue someone else scored. Is it due to plain laziness or inexperience of our players or coaches not doing a proper job, I just don't know.   
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #718: Mar 18, 2013 02:11:02 pm

Exactly. I remember the good old days, Rushie and Kenny will never be like statues. They'll be continuously running inside the box, creating confusion and took defenders with them and and out of the blue someone else scored. Is it due to plain laziness or inexperience of our players or coaches not doing a proper job, I just don't know.   

I think a big part of it is chemistry, or lack of it.  You need to remember that many of our attacking players have only been playing together for less than 2 years.  Suarez and Downing have been playing together for almost 2 seasons, but Suarez has been playing in a new role since the turn of the year.  He is adapting to a new role; Sturridge is adapting to his new teammates; and Coutinho is adapting to a new league, new country, and new teammates.  Sometimes it looks good, but sometimes we just don't click and I think that part of that is because it is still a very "new" group of players. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #719: Mar 18, 2013 02:39:51 pm

I expected the players to be on a high after Tottenham, just seems like they had no legs or energy.

Almost like we had nothing to play for.

Not now.

Except the shirt which for some is enough.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #720: Mar 18, 2013 03:16:34 pm

I wish.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #721: Mar 18, 2013 03:59:40 pm
      Saw the game here in Dubai and to be honest it was F***ing embarrassing the way we were undone by a few 1 - 2's and the way the last goal was wrapped up and gift wrapped was F***ing laughable.      B. 
      The biggest wind up was there were about ten lads F***ing delirious with SOuthampton winning - only blueshite weren't they.
      Was I made up when the whistle went and the beach bar beckoned and we obliged.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #722: Mar 18, 2013 04:40:31 pm
      Struggled to tell who was the in-form team and who were the relegation candidates at times. The lack of communication between our back 4 and keeper was both lamentable and poor.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #723: Mar 18, 2013 05:18:39 pm
      What can I say but we were due a backward step.  :mad:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #724: Mar 18, 2013 06:19:12 pm
      Damn glad I couldn't get a ticket for this game, was a complete embarrassment and we got torn to shreds by them for the whole game! When I saw Carra was out and Lucas on the bench I suddenly got a bad feeling we would maybe make it a bit difficult for ourselves but f**k me this was a complete joke!

Skrtel, I don't care how well he was playing last season I want him gone in the summer, he was again shocking and at fault for 2 of the 3 goals and I'm pretty sure he gave away the free kick too! He was off the pace and again out done physically by the Saints attack, they must have been laughing at how easy it was to beat him!

Joe Allen was also shocking, still struggling to see what he brings to the team and I have no idea why he started ahead of Lucas, or even Henderson for that matter!

Stewart Downing was back to his usual self, knew it wouldn't take long. Johnson was again poor at the back, Skrtel was largely at fault for the opener but it wouldn't have happened if Johnson was paying attention to the man and the ball, he was woeful going forward too and not seen a first touch as bad as his over the course of 90 minutes like that for a long time!

Can't think of anyone that deserves credit other than Coutinho for his goal and Jones for keeping us in it a few times with a couple of good 1 on 1 saves.

The team could have cost themselves a place in Europe with this defeat, this was one of the games we 100% had to win.

The positive thing from this match though has highlighted where we really are weak in the team. Carra is still our best defender and that's very worrying given the fact he is 35 and retiring!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Southampton 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #725: Mar 18, 2013 06:23:24 pm

I wish.

Sorted.  :-\
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #726: Mar 18, 2013 06:51:14 pm
      Sick
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #727: Mar 18, 2013 08:16:17 pm
      Still absolutely gutted. A very bad day at the office for Rodgers. We need to spend at least 25 million just on our defense in the summer.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #728: Mar 18, 2013 08:22:14 pm
      Is it?

Last I checked, we were hammering all the "bad" teams.
      Like we hammered , Villa , wba , stoke not to mention oldham and southampton .
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013 08:55:23 pm by bigears »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #729: Mar 18, 2013 08:36:09 pm
      Damn glad I couldn't get a ticket for this game, was a complete embarrassment and we got torn to shreds by them for the whole game! When I saw Carra was out and Lucas on the bench I suddenly got a bad feeling we would maybe make it a bit difficult for ourselves but f**k me this was a complete joke!

Skrtel, I don't care how well he was playing last season I want him gone in the summer, he was again shocking and at fault for 2 of the 3 goals and I'm pretty sure he gave away the free kick too! He was off the pace and again out done physically by the Saints attack, they must have been laughing at how easy it was to beat him!

Joe Allen was also shocking, still struggling to see what he brings to the team and I have no idea why he started ahead of Lucas, or even Henderson for that matter!

Stewart Downing was back to his usual self, knew it wouldn't take long. Johnson was again poor at the back, Skrtel was largely at fault for the opener but it wouldn't have happened if Johnson was paying attention to the man and the ball, he was woeful going forward too and not seen a first touch as bad as his over the course of 90 minutes like that for a long time!

Can't think of anyone that deserves credit other than Coutinho for his goal and Jones for keeping us in it a few times with a couple of good 1 on 1 saves.

The team could have cost themselves a place in Europe with this defeat, this was one of the games we 100% had to win.

The positive thing from this match though has highlighted where we really are weak in the team. Carra is still our best defender and that's very worrying given the fact he is 35 and retiring!

This.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #730: Mar 19, 2013 10:16:58 am
      What a total disgrace outplayed the whole game by a team who couldn't buy a win

Skrtel & Allen were both shocking but more shocking was the decision to play them

Downing was back to his usual skiving hiding best too

Get a grip Brendan we were not only beaten we were hammered by a side battling relegation
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,386 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #731: Mar 19, 2013 10:24:21 am
      I thought the team was excellent, playing good attacking football and pressing the opposition all over the pitch, er hang on, we were the team in black and not the one in all red, oh F**k !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #732: Mar 19, 2013 01:53:32 pm
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #733: Mar 19, 2013 02:59:30 pm

Here we are again.  We've put together a good run got a result from one of the better teams so we are due to lose to a team we should just brush aside.

But maybe not this time.  The team has gelled really well since Sturridge and Coutinho arrived and we have more depth in attack if that makes sense.

That is why I think this is not going to be the banana skin it would have been earlier in the season.  If we do brush them aside then I think we really have reached a new dawn not just a false one.

Come on you REDS make my day.

Not there yet then. >:(
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #734: Mar 19, 2013 11:11:10 pm
      Like we hammered , Villa , wba , stoke not to mention oldham and southampton .

Like we hammered Wigan twice, Swansea, QPR, Norwich twice, Sunderland, Fulham.

Furthermore, I find it ridiculous how you only dare quote that after an unlikely loss to Southampton.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #735: Mar 19, 2013 11:45:26 pm
      Like we hammered Wigan twice, Swansea, QPR, Norwich twice, Sunderland, Fulham.

Furthermore, I find it ridiculous how you only dare quote that after an unlikely loss to Southampton.
      Would you prefer i didn't mention it and stick my head in the ground .

Quick Reply