Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.

Read 115562 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,051 posts | 2103 
      Re: The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.
      Reply #736: Oct 06, 2023 04:04:32 pm
      I'll defend Women's rights within the World of football all day long....But to call out K Keegan for his reported comments is plain wrong.
      The organisation Women in football is  quoted: “Kevin Keegan seems to be advocating a kind of gender apartheid in football, whereby the men’s game can only be discussed by men, and ‘ladies’ are banished to a separate room,”...He isn't though is he.... It was his opinion that he preferred a male voice, not a call that women should't do it.
      Considering what KK has done for the game this story boils my Piss!

Absolutely. It's an opinion that Keegan has. That's all. I don't necessarily agree with him but they weren't made to offend and aren't offensive. Debatable comments that can be opposed and supported in equal measure - that's an open conversation you can have.

The press release coming from Women in Football was downright disgraceful. To use the word apartheid is extraordinary, insinuating that Keegan is all for a system that discriminates women. Disgusting even, given the sufferings and bloodshed spilt by those living under genuine apartheid regimes. Shameful.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #737: Oct 06, 2023 04:19:13 pm
      Think Kevin has a point to be fair, most of the women pundits/commentators are  sh*te anyway. I’ll happily listen to a woman in any match as long as they come across well but most of them are cringeworthy. Lianne Sanderson who’s doing the most complaining is one of the worse along with Eniola Aluko.

Gabby Logan is very good and I don’t mind Jill Scott. Outside that they’re all pretty poor really.

With you on that absolutely no issue , with women , it’s just most of them like their male counterparts are absolute sh*te at it and like the men it’s pure window dressing , as is there have been very few absolute top class commentators in sport, the standouts for me , David Coleman , Bill mclaren , Murray walker , Think Motty done a decent job , like Chris Akabusi his sheer enthusiasm for the sport is fantastic , as you say Gabby is good actually knows what she’s talking about , Sue Barker another but there ain’t many on the list .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #738: Oct 06, 2023 05:01:42 pm
      Dislike most pundits and commentators regardless of their gender. To me, the only relevant commentary usually comes from either former players that played at a high level and understand the game as it's played at the highest level or those that have literally watched it for decades and have "seen it all". Not surprising to see the witch hunt against KK though as any perceived slight to someone these days is cause for rebellion, anarchy and someone getting burned at the stake. Good news for him is he probably doesn't give a sh*t if some folks get their panties in a bunch.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #739: Oct 06, 2023 05:16:44 pm
      Absolutely. It's an opinion that Keegan has. That's all. I don't  necessarily agree with him but they weren't made to offend and aren't offensive. Debatable comments that can be opposed and supported in equal measure - that's an open conversation you can have.

The press release coming from Women in Football was downright disgraceful. To use the word apartheid is extraordinary, insinuating that Keegan is all for a system that discriminates women. Disgusting even, given the sufferings and bloodshed spilt by those living under genuine apartheid regimes. Shameful.

The annoying thing is Frankly that’s all it is, an opinion yet people ( one for a better word ) choose to call it in another matter that suit their agenda. They make me fcuking sick,   :tosser: the lot of them.  :f_steam:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #740: Oct 06, 2023 05:17:34 pm
      With you on that absolutely no issue , with women , it’s just most of them like their male counterparts are absolute sh*te at it and like the men it’s pure window dressing , as is there have been very few absolute top class commentators in sport, the standouts for me , David Coleman , Bill mclaren , Murray walker , Think Motty done a decent job , like Chris Akabusi his sheer enthusiasm for the sport is fantastic , as you say Gabby is good actually knows what she’s talking about , Sue Barker another but there ain’t many on the list .

Some top names there Andy. 👍
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #741: Oct 06, 2023 06:32:16 pm
      It is just how it is for the mob no discussion just attack. A manc supporter no doubt
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #742: Oct 06, 2023 06:38:07 pm
      Absolutely. It's an opinion that Keegan has. That's all. I don't necessarily agree with him but they weren't made to offend and aren't offensive. Debatable comments that can be opposed and supported in equal measure - that's an open conversation you can have.

It’s standard for the media now

Some of the female pundits , presenters and commentators are very good

Hazel Irvine , Alex Scott , Sue Barker , Claire Balding , Laura Woods

But some are horrific

But that’s the same with their male counterparts
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,051 posts | 2103 
      Reply #743: Oct 06, 2023 07:06:57 pm
      It’s standard for the media now

Some of the female pundits , presenters and commentators are very good

Hazel Irvine , Alex Scott , Sue Barker , Claire Balding , Laura Woods

But some are horrific

But that’s the same with their male counterparts

Claire Balding's good but Hazel Irvine is the gold standard in sports broadcasting. What a phenomenal broadcaster - she could and should host everything. Sue Barker likewise. Two absolute pros who command such great respect and chemistry with their pundits.  Encyclopaedic knowledge and professional without going overboard into 'chummy bantz'.

It's the thing that's missing across all modern broadcasters today. Along with Hazel and Sue, the likes of Motty, Barry Davies, Murray Walker - we all loved them because we trusted them. Their knowledge was so immense and authoritative that you didn't think twice to question it. Nowadays, your Darren Fletchers and David Crofts fill the air with try hard bantz to cover for their lack of professionalism and knowledge.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,268 posts | 760 
      Reply #744: Oct 06, 2023 11:18:59 pm
      Growing up David Coleman was the governor ...Sportsnight & Grandstand...Many of the names quoted tonight were all good shouts. I'd add Clive Tydesley, Gaby Logan, Jill Douglas, Des Lynam and Ray Stubbs..All superb, well informed and all with that most underestimated of attributes...a sense of humour. 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #745: Oct 07, 2023 07:39:41 am
      One name that I see alluded from such a converted list surly is Dickie Davies. Always  thought he did a great when it was called World Of Sport.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #746: Oct 07, 2023 05:17:45 pm
      Claire Balding's good but Hazel Irvine is the gold standard in sports broadcasting. What a phenomenal broadcaster - she could and should host everything. Sue Barker likewise. Two absolute pros who command such great respect and chemistry with their pundits.  Encyclopaedic knowledge and professional without going overboard into 'chummy bantz'.

It's the thing that's missing across all modern broadcasters today. Along with Hazel and Sue, the likes of Motty, Barry Davies, Murray Walker - we all loved them because we trusted them. Their knowledge was so immense and authoritative that you didn't think twice to question it. Nowadays, your Darren Fletchers and David Crofts fill the air with try hard bantz to cover for their lack of professionalism and knowledge.

We had a very similar conversation after the Snooker World Championships back in May where we agreed Hazel was head and shoulders above anything else in terms of sport presenting.

I would say though Hazel is helped by some top pundits as well. As much as Parrott can be your stereotypical Scouser thinking everything he says is hilarious, he is actually good at his job as are Davis & Hendry (probably my favourite pundit across any sport). Whereas Eurosport and ITV suffer from having McManus and Foulds as their mainstay pundits. My thoughts on Ken Doherty are well documented on here.

I don't know if the presenter makes the pundits or if the pundits make the presenter.

My second favourite presenter (after Hazel) right now is Ian Ward, who has made Sky's cricket his own. He had a difficult task of replacing Gower, who himself was brilliant, but has done a fantastic job. He's very much a modern presenter with the "chummy bantz" as you call it but not to nauseousating level that others are. Again, he's assisted by some great pundits in Hussein and Atherton.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #747: Oct 07, 2023 05:20:51 pm
      We had a very similar conversation after the Snooker World Championships back in May where we agreed Hazel was head and shoulders above anything else in terms of sport presenting.

I would say though Hazel is helped by some top pundits as well. As much as Parrott can be your stereotypical Scouser thinking everything he says is hilarious, he is actually good at his job as are Davis & Hendry (probably my favourite pundit across any sport). Whereas Eurosport and ITV suffer from having McManus and Foulds as their mainstay pundits. My thoughts on Ken Doherty are well documented on here.

I don't know if the presenter makes the pundits or if the pundits make the presenter.

My second favourite presenter (after Hazel) right now is Ian Ward, who has made Sky's cricket his own. He had a difficult task of replacing Gower, who himself was brilliant, but has done a fantastic job. He's very much a modern presenter with the "chummy bantz" as you call it but not to nauseousating level that others are. Again, he's assisted by some great pundits in Hussein and Atherton.

Have to agree them fckwits on itv for the snooker total sh*te .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #748: Oct 07, 2023 05:37:46 pm
      Have to agree them fckwits on itv for the snooker total sh*te .

That's where I was asking if pundits make the presenter or the other way round because I think Jill Douglas does a decent job of presenting, she's just hampered by some absolute blurts. Same with Rachel Casey on Eurosport, though she replaced Andy Goldstein and anything has to be better than that pr**k.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #749: Oct 07, 2023 05:43:29 pm
      That's where I was asking if pundits make the presenter or the other way round because I think Jill Douglas does a decent job of presenting, she's just hampered by some absolute blurts. Same with Rachel Casey on Eurosport, though she replaced Andy Goldstein and anything has to be better than that pr**k.

Agree on Goldstein , can’t stand the tw*t , as for the question, I think to an extent I think it helps if you can turn to a good and educated pundit , Michael Jhonson has the same aura in athletics was super talented and Now’s exactly what to say and when to say it , Same I think with Irvine she can turn to the likes of Hendry and Davies undoubtedly she’s a great presenter but it must help her greatly know she can rely on such talent .

Quick Reply