Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.

Read 113668 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.
      Reply #23: Mar 18, 2013 11:31:27 am
      So many great answers so far and things that I've moaned about on Facebook and Twitter many times, Andy Townsend (talks as though he used to be like Messi on the pitch), the "English football is dead" proclamations because we're not in the final stages of the CL for once, the ref waiting for a goal kick to be booted into the air before blowing the whistle, ground stealing at throw-ins and walls defending free kicks...  :mad:

I'll have to defend the gloves and t-shirt mentality though. I'm known amongst my friends as someone who always wears a t-shirt, even when they're freezing but my hands are always cold! Don't know if it's a circulatory thing but I will sometimes go for the t-shirt and gloves combo.

Other things that annoy me:

When an English team are up against a big name in Europe. If the English team does well and controls the game, commentators/pundits will put it down to the opposition not playing well, instead of giving us credit.

Stereotyping of teams. This happens even more during international tournaments where, for example Germany are described as rigid and workmanlike and Brazil are hailed as a beautiful flair team, "playing to the Samba beat".

I'm surprised the topic of halfy-halfy scarves hasn't come up again yet  :laugh:

One final "small thing" that annoys me... Michael Owen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: Mar 18, 2013 01:00:26 pm
      Walls creeping forward at set pieces

Actually, here in MLS the refs use this dissolving spray that looks like silly string. They circle the ball at the spot of the foul, then count 10 yards and spray a line that the wall must stand behind. It's a really cool concept and something FIFA should introduce worldwide.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #25: Mar 18, 2013 01:02:28 pm
      Dennis Wise.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #26: Mar 18, 2013 02:05:48 pm
      Actually, here in MLS the refs use this dissolving spray that looks like silly string. They circle the ball at the spot of the foul, then count 10 yards and spray a line that the wall must stand behind. It's a really cool concept and something FIFA should introduce worldwide.

Far too sensible for FIFA/UEFA to even consider it, I mean they Introduced the official on the goal line, who basically does f-all and must have sh*t in his eyes, misses everything.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #27: Mar 18, 2013 02:33:36 pm
      Andy Townsend the stubborn c**t.

Gives an opinion on an event, then refuses to admit he was wrong even though a slow motion replay proves that he's being a c**t.

c**t off cunto.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: Mar 18, 2013 03:37:05 pm

Seen that a couple of times when watching MLS coverage, the only thing is the ref does look a bit of tool running around with an aerosol can in his pocket!  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Mar 18, 2013 03:54:35 pm
      Short corners. 99 times out of 100 it's a horrible waste of a set piece opportunity.

Was about to post that.

Short corners don't work. In the rare occasions they do, these are the exceptions that prove the rule.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #30: Mar 18, 2013 04:08:28 pm
      The "He scores when he wants" chant.

Used by almost every set of fans now.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Mar 18, 2013 04:33:33 pm
      Was about to post that.

Short corners don't work. In the rare occasions they do, these are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Corners, in general, rarely work. Thinks someone posted once that about 1 in 100 corners leads to a goal, in the Premier League.

Things that annoy me, the press and the gullible few that gobble up every word as fact.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #32: Mar 18, 2013 04:56:51 pm
      Man United

Tottenham

Chelsea

Everton

Four little clubs that annoy me :)
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #33: Mar 18, 2013 06:29:02 pm
      Old bacon chops what a c**t he is
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Mar 18, 2013 07:03:06 pm
      The "He scores when he wants" chant.

Used by almost every set of fans now.

Because they have all spent out on a striker that has turned out to be sh*te and they can't accept it.

Commentators annoy me, other than losing! Oh and short corners late in the game when you are chasing a goal, for crying out loud put it in the box!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #35: Mar 18, 2013 07:17:23 pm

Sounds pretty good actually, certainly wouldn't be against that being introduced into the Premier League.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #36: Mar 18, 2013 07:21:52 pm
      Dave whelan"it wasn't a reckless tackle and our man got the ball"what a tw*t.!!!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Mar 18, 2013 07:51:11 pm
      Constant banging of Drums at any match does my head in. Doesn't do anything for the atmosphere, just gives me a headache.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Mar 18, 2013 08:06:56 pm

Yeah this spray was first used here in Brazil, and has always been used since in our leagues, because it makes perfect sense.

It's really cheap and easy to use/implement. Very effective too. I can't for the life of me understand why it isn't being deployed worldwide yet.

The game demands so much from officials, it does no harm to give them some tools to better control the players in certain situations.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #39: Mar 18, 2013 09:23:54 pm
      Yeah this spray was first used here in Brazil, and has always been used since in our leagues, because it makes perfect sense.

It's really cheap and easy to use/implement. Very effective too. I can't for the life of me understand why it isn't being deployed worldwide yet.

The game demands so much from officials, it does no harm to give them some tools to better control the players in certain situations.

Can you imagine if that was used in the EPL though? Every time the ref marked the ball position, walked 10 yards and marked the wall position, Sky would come up with a little graphic showing exactly how far the distance was and slate the ref for being a few inches out.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #40: Mar 19, 2013 08:27:07 am
      Constant banging of Drums at any match does my head in. Doesn't do anything for the atmosphere, just gives me a headache.

The VuVuZela crap. Now that is just noise rather than atmosphere.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #41: Mar 19, 2013 10:40:12 am
      most songs sung by football fans today, mainly abusive songs about opponents, biggest rivals and cities where the game is , the old' town x is a shithole i wanna go home',zzzzzz-support YOUR team
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #42: Mar 19, 2013 12:46:10 pm

I wasn't sure where it started, only something I see every week here in the States and really think it's a great idea.

Seen that a couple of times when watching MLS coverage, the only thing is the ref does look a bit of tool running around with an aerosol can in his pocket!  ;D

To be fair, MLS refs don't need much to look like tools as is :laugh:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Mar 19, 2013 12:54:35 pm
      Can't believe this hasn't been said yet;

When a referee blows for offside 5 seconds after the linesman has his flag up and the player was playing for the ball the whole time. It's like they get a kick out of seeing everyone have that split second of hope that the player is on side and THEN they blow the whistle. Just F***ing blow the whistle straight away.

Also, when a player protests and the referee simply stands there like a statue acting like a tough c**t without any intention to listen or explain. I'd be suspended multiple times trying to get a response by physically assaulting the cheeky fuckers.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Mar 19, 2013 08:58:24 pm

I'm surprised the topic of halfy-halfy scarves hasn't come up again yet  :laugh:

One final "small thing" that annoys me... Michael Owen.

Good shout that Rep......I detest half/halfy scarfs

Bet your thrilled with today's news about Owen then  >:D
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #45: Mar 19, 2013 09:14:32 pm
      The fact that David Gill has been secretly running the F.A. and is now going to run UEFA when he joins. cu*ts will have 5 European Cups in no time

Quick Reply