Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?

Read 13189 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?
      Reply #115: Mar 26, 2013 12:20:12 pm
      Completely untrue, the bigger the investment the greater the risk is the reality.
      Look what happened last time the owners gave the go ahead to spend a shitload of money. Wow, we won a cup, but dropped further behind in the league, which according to historical quotes is our "bread and butter".

If the club were not in the relatively sound financial condition which you yourself describe earlier further investment would not be an option, we have the superstructure and the projected profit margins to insure any reasonable long term projects. The rewards are there for the committment.

We've seen hundreds of millions wasted over the last 20 odd years, by a succession of managers.
      You seem to be under the impression that simply by chucking money at the squad, it will automatically improve, which is simply not the case.

We don't need to spunk huge amounts on marquee signings, we need to spend sensibly on players that will improve the collective, and give depth to the squad.

The owners have appointed a manager who they feel has the attributes to run the club efficiently why don't they leave him to use his footballing acumen to do his job without them using financial constraints and criteria for potential targets.

Also completely wrong is Crouchinhos assertion that the club itself will "depreciate" if Suarez is sold.
      I've never heard a more naive statement about finance.
      The club itself will not depreciate.
      Players, managers, owners are transitory, and only the owners can affect the value of the club and then only by running it down, which is not what is happening.
      I have to question whether Crouchinho actually knows what depreciation really is. Without looking it up on wiki ;)

It is naive to imagine the club will not be affected immediately with the sale of Suarez, there are a number of factors that point to that very fact.
      The money minded would have us believe that £50/£60 represents a huge profit margin and a piece of good business, the financial markets might react differently however when our footballing fortune plummets along with our share price when the goals and performances disappear.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #116: Mar 26, 2013 12:35:07 pm
      Let's be honest if Suarez leaves there are no big assets left at the club. Gerrard and Reina are big players but they are getting on so you won't get much from other clubs and Gerrard wants to end his career with us anyway. So our value would decrease surely? We're not really attractive to buyers if we have no star assets.

Selling Luis this summer would be a disaster on so many levels. It's not like Arsenal when they sold RVP or when Spurs sold Modric, they had a much better squad when they decided to sell those players.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #117: Mar 26, 2013 01:18:58 pm
      I think the issue is not so much, "Would you sell Suarez for 50m," but "IF we were to sell Suarez for 50m, do you have confidence in the club to find suitable replacements?"

I've got to say no I don't, given our transfers the past 4-5 years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #118: Mar 26, 2013 01:28:49 pm

Of which Suarez was one of those!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #119: Mar 26, 2013 01:29:38 pm
      I think the issue is not so much, "Would you sell Suarez for 50m," but "IF we were to sell Suarez for 50m, do you have confidence in the club to find suitable replacements?"

I agree mate. 

If we had a proven Manager with experience of building a title/trophy winning squad or even if we were 2-3 years further on with developing the younger players, then yes I would probably say cash in on him but to do it now, whilst we're still building for the future, it could be catastrophic.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #120: Mar 26, 2013 01:51:27 pm
      Of which Suarez was one of those!

He was, right. But generally speaking though, we've had some pretty expensive misses.

I agree mate. 

If we had a proven Manager with experience of building a title/trophy winning squad or even if we were 2-3 years further on with developing the younger players, then yes I would probably say cash in on him but to do it now, whilst we're still building for the future, it could be catastrophic.

Yep my thinking as well. The young players we have are good, but they're not quite ready to step in on a full-time basis. Going to be some great players though. Ibe, Teixeira, etc.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #121: Mar 26, 2013 03:29:58 pm
      I think the club entered a cycle of selling it's better players and replacing them with lesser versions.
      The likes of Suarez and Coutinho break that cycle.

For me we have bottomed out and started to address our squad deficiencies one section at a time.
      As slow a process as that is at least we can see a strategy.

If we then go and sell Suarez then we haven't bottomed out at all and continue in the cycle of selling
      top players and developing lesser ones.

As long as that cycle continues we will never be challenging for titles or the champions league.
      To move forward now we need to hold on to the players that will carry us forward.
      In that regard I think, for "progress", we need to keep hold of Suarez in the summer.

If it then comes about that we bring in some more quality players and return to a more elite position,
      then I'd consider big money for the player.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #122: Mar 26, 2013 03:57:46 pm
      I think the club entered a cycle of selling it's better players and replacing them with lesser versions.
      The likes of Suarez and Coutinho break that cycle.

For me we have bottomed out and started to address our squad deficiencies one section at a time.
      As slow a process as that is at least we can see a strategy.

If we then go and sell Suarez then we haven't bottomed out at all and continue in the cycle of selling
      top players and developing lesser ones.

As long as that cycle continues we will never be challenging for titles or the champions league.
      To move forward now we need to hold on to the players that will carry us forward.
      In that regard I think, for "progress", we need to keep hold of Suarez in the summer.

If it then comes about that we bring in some more quality players and return to a more elite position,
      then I'd consider big money for the player.

Summed up beautifully as always mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #123: Mar 26, 2013 04:38:49 pm

Agree to a point and obviously up until FSG came in, we knew why those better players we're getting sold and to a point you can understand why we're getting some of the lesser versions, we're just not in the position to attract THE best players, unlike say 6 or 7 years ago.

The rest of the post was spot on though mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #124: Mar 26, 2013 04:44:03 pm
      Agree to a point and obviously up until FSG came in, we knew why those better players we're getting sold and to a point you can understand why we're getting some of the lesser versions, we're just not in the position to attract THE best players, unlike say 6 or 7 years ago.

The rest of the post was spot on though mate.

We all know why we entered that cycle.
      To get out of it now is even harder and therefor it's even more important that, in the "transitional period"
      we are in, we keep the cu*ts players that will get us out of it.

Otherwise we will stay in the cycle we have descended into, regardless of how we got here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #125: Mar 26, 2013 04:50:46 pm
      We all know why we entered that cycle.
      To get out of it now is even harder and therefor it's even more important that, in the "transitional period"
      we are in, we keep the cu*ts players that will get us out of it.

Otherwise we will stay in the cycle we have descended into, regardless of how we got here.

Totally agree with what you're saying, sometimes it feels like we're buying players and crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #126: Mar 26, 2013 05:03:28 pm
      It's obvious i know what it means by the way i used the word and explained in my post.

If we lose Suarez, we're not as attractive to other players. Thats as obvious as it gets. Without CL football, without the names of Gerrard and Suarez to pull players, we won't be held as high as other clubs.

I have to question whether you know how to read in context.

I can read fine in context, but it's still obvious you have no clue about what depreciation actually is.

The CLUB does not depreciate in value, in fact if Suarez were sold, it could actually INCREASE the value of the club.
      Players are deemed as assets, and only the book figure counts, which is useless as a depreciation tool, because the cost of the player and wages is amortized.
      If/when the players leaves, a new player (or players) is brought in for the same or greater value, which has many knock on effects, not least of which is x amount sat on the books in amortized payments.
      A player is not a car, and does not depreciate until other clubs are less willing to pay the price of his contract.
      Suarez is at his peak, and will remain there for a few years yet, and his book value for the purposes of accounting is not the same as his market value, and this is where you are confusing depreciation of intangible assets with depreciation of fixed assets, which is what concerns the club.
      You are also making huge assumptions regarding the motivations of players who or will not come here, based on nothing more than a slack jawed interpretation of what motivates players in a professional context.

Now if you want to get into an accounting debate with me, I'll happily school you, so try replying without the pissy attitude.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #127: Mar 26, 2013 06:35:31 pm
      Unfortunataly unlike some clubs in our league our owners have bought liverpool as a Business investment and thats how its going to be until the Sultan of Brunei or an oil typhoon Billionaire decides to make them an offer they  cant refuse, (which is highly unlikely ).
                And if that means selling our best players for almost double what they paid , then in ther eyes thats good business , This is the only way i can see us going for some time yet , I hate the fact that we could lose Luis it was bad enough when Fernado left but Luis made it less painful , Whatever happens he will always be an lfc Great in my eyes !
      nehemiah5623
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #128: Mar 26, 2013 10:07:06 pm
      If Liverpool will triumph....YES!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Mar 27, 2013 04:50:10 am
      I can read fine in context, but it's still obvious you have no clue about what depreciation actually is.

The CLUB does not depreciate in value, in fact if Suarez were sold, it could actually INCREASE the value of the club.
      Players are deemed as assets, and only the book figure counts, which is useless as a depreciation tool, because the cost of the player and wages is amortized.
      If/when the players leaves, a new player (or players) is brought in for the same or greater value, which has many knock on effects, not least of which is x amount sat on the books in amortized payments.
      A player is not a car, and does not depreciate until other clubs are less willing to pay the price of his contract.
      Suarez is at his peak, and will remain there for a few years yet, and his book value for the purposes of accounting is not the same as his market value, and this is where you are confusing depreciation of intangible assets with depreciation of fixed assets, which is what concerns the club.
      You are also making huge assumptions regarding the motivations of players who or will not come here, based on nothing more than a slack jawed interpretation of what motivates players in a professional context.

Now if you want to get into an accounting debate with me, I'll happily school you, so try replying without the pissy attitude.

You're obviously thick as sh*t if you claim to be able to read in context and then give me a lecture on finance. That wasn't even close to my point.

Short term, our credit will rise and our finances are better off which = an appreciation of the value of the club.

Long term, if we lose Suarez and then have no CL football and no world class players within a couple seasons = a depreciation of the value of the club.

Keep in mind the club refers to success and quality of players, not only the finance books.

Don't be so F***ing anal about a post because you want to look like some genius. My point is clear and everyone else seemed to understand it except you.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #130: Mar 27, 2013 09:54:46 am
      I quite like some of the comments above where they are saying when we have returned to the elite & have significant talent & resources.
      Only then, we can consider the offers for Suarez as by then we wont be in a position to need him. we wont be in a position in having  to sell as we are not failing to meet minimum requirements annually ie CL qualification as we did during the Rafa years.
      A number of factors would come into it, ie: players desire for the club or the CL? Continuous improvement in terms of silverware and/or qualification on an annually basis? along the improvement should see us recruit top class talent to improve the first team and squad.

So, like what was mentioned earlier on, continuous progress will help keep top players & improve our standing in the game so our finances will look after themselves!

Look after the pennies so the pounds will look after themselves was the best advice I got even though didn't understand it at the time!...was just 10 but that that advice would apply to the club also!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #131: Mar 27, 2013 02:42:27 pm
      Simple answer to the original question a big NO !
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #132: Mar 27, 2013 03:58:19 pm
      If Liverpool will triumph....YES!!

Liverpool Triumph without suarez ......................Il l have a pint of what this guys on!
      redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Reply #133: Mar 27, 2013 04:27:02 pm

Suarez...    Courtinho...    Sturridge...

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #134: Mar 27, 2013 04:28:03 pm
      You're obviously thick as sh*t if you claim to be able to read in context and then give me a lecture on finance. That wasn't even close to my point.

Short term, our credit will rise and our finances are better off which = an appreciation of the value of the club.

Long term, if we lose Suarez and then have no CL football and no world class players within a couple seasons = a depreciation of the value of the club.

Keep in mind the club refers to success and quality of players, not only the finance books.

Don't be so F***ing anal about a post because you want to look like some genius. My point is clear and everyone else seemed to understand it except you.

I expect you said the same when torres was sold.

Your myopic view of finance and your continued histrionics and insults only serve to show that you are in fact what you claim others to be.

You have no grasp of the issues, and have shown that the finer points completely pass you by, and that it is your view that is short sighted.

All your wailing and gnashing of teeth as you strive desperately to show you are right only reminds me of an infant crying at the loss of an ice cream.

Yours is the short term view, mine is the long term, and if you had even an ounce of knowledge, you'd know that.

The clubs value has NEVER depreciated from the loss of one player, as you should know, in fact I can't be arsed talking to someone with half a wit so I'll leave you to stew in the self righteous anger that you so vehemently spew whilst digging a hole in the sand to hide your head from the reality of the factual world.

Didn't you USED to be a moderator?
      I think I see why the past tense applies.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #135: Mar 27, 2013 04:32:37 pm
      Suarez...    Courtinho...    Sturridge...

Fair point, but for every one we've got right, there have been too many we've got wrong.

I'd hate to see Suarez sold, and I can't think of a player who could adequately replace him, but then I thought the same about torres when he was at his peak.

One more point though, is that if BR is right about the quality of the scouting system in place, it wouldn't be the end of the world as some seem to view it.
      I have my doubts about that though.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #136: Mar 28, 2013 03:54:08 am
      The one question here is, is Suárez willing to leave for a bigger side? You know, a Champions team, a club with real clout? And, thinking about it, why wouldn't he?

Suárez has been attacked savagely by the FA, the press, etc. Every time, the club caved in to the manc asslickers. Kenny alone wasn't afraid to fight, but he was sacked. Every damn time, the same thing: the club never really defended him. Our main man, you'd think FS would stand firmly by him... but no. It's infuriating.

If Suárez decides to leave, we won't have anyone to blame but ourselves.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #137: Mar 28, 2013 01:25:25 pm
      Liverpool Triumph without suarez ......................Il l have a pint of what this guys on!

Should have a look a who you're slagging off, he's malaysian without the same command of English as us, chill out kidda!

Quick Reply