Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?

Read 13193 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?
      Reply #92: Mar 24, 2013 12:59:51 pm
      The repercussions for the Club would be catastrophic if we sell at this moment in time.  To lose arguably our only world class player would put the viability of LFC (the Business) in jeopardy and that is something our owners will need to seriously consider.  They may feel that they're powerless to do anything without breaking their own business plan but they may feel this is the lesser of the two evils.

Lose Luis = a nice bonus to the transfer pot but potentially puts the Clubs recovery back another 5+ years of spending without achieving.

Keep Luis = less overall to spend but less spending required, over a shorter period, to achieve the same aim.

From a business point of view - keep him.

From a football point of view - keep him.

No brainer really!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #93: Mar 24, 2013 03:33:42 pm
      The problem is if he wanted to leave, there's not really another option. For the moment it seems we are lucky, it's not yet the case, and we may hope to keep him this summer. But after one more season without CL, I wouldn't expect to keep such a world class player (and would be ashamed if some lunatics burn his shirt the day he takes that sadly logical decision for his carreer).

I mean would you still want to keep Luis if he becomes as disinterested as Torres in his last year, or show irritation as much as he can (and that's a lot ;) ) ?

Then I think, the only option to be sure to keep him, is to make him *not* want to leave, and there's only one way (out of a miracle where we qualify this year), qualifying or at least showing a real intent to qualify for CL in 2013-2014 (and that means adding several proven first class players to the squad this summer, which would probably require a massive investment).
      (Some would say there's also the option of increasing his wages again, but I think Luis is a competitor, not a mercenary, a new contract alone won't be enough to keep him if the team don't improve.)

So from a supporter point of view, I'd say spend what needed this summer on proven players who can directly make a difference, then we can seriously hope to qualify for CL next season and be sure to keep him, attract even better players if needed the next, and why not be competing for the league around 2015-16.

Now owners who may not want to inject that much money in one transfer window, who may prefer to buy ressellable prospects than expensive veterans, and who may even have already accepted that returning to CL may take 2 or 3 more years, may have a very different pov. If their plan is taking 4-5 more years to transform a team of promising youngsters into new Barcelona (or, more realisticly, to transform Liverpool into new Arsenal), they may be already convinced that they won't be able to keep Luis for more than one year, and may find some interest to sell him this summer instead of waiting for him to want to leave the next (with the risk that say an injury or behavior issue reduce his price in the meantime).
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #94: Mar 24, 2013 04:26:17 pm
      Any action taken by the owners regarding Suarez could quite easily be moulded around an eventual sale process as easily as any other scenario you care to suggest.
      FSG's record thus far does not instill confidence in their decision making whatsoever and makes your statement completely irrational.
      Sorry fella, i don't follow.

I've not seen any signs that FSG are here to cash in on our players, indeed they could have easily have sold Suarez for a fat profit last summer, but they didn't.They could have equally sold a few others for big fees (there was lots of interest in skrtel last summer) but again they didn't.

They've also come out and said Suarez isn't for sale, so I don't get where the conspiracy is building?   
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #95: Mar 25, 2013 12:23:03 pm
      ..... on the other hand .
      In answer to your question.

Can I give you my bank details then ?
      metalscouse
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #96: Mar 25, 2013 02:14:13 pm
      If he wanted to go, then he would be worth a lot more than £50 million. If we could get £50 million for Torres then we could get £80 million for suarez.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #97: Mar 25, 2013 03:42:03 pm
      A Nigerian Prince has just emailed me saying I can have a share of 50 million quid if I give him my bank account details.

Seems as legit as the owners wanting to sell off our best assets and trouser the money.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #98: Mar 25, 2013 03:44:21 pm

Seems as legit as the owners wanting to sell off our best assets and trouser the money.

???  Or is it just fans hoping they are so they can get on the campaign trail again?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #99: Mar 25, 2013 05:10:05 pm
      ???  Or is it just fans hoping they are so they can get on the campaign trail again?

Don't really give a F**k what the reason is mate, it's just boring as F**k now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #100: Mar 25, 2013 05:27:06 pm

....some are getting rightfully nervous about the lack of direction from the owners, awarding Luis any reward is money in the bank and not indicative of any long term schemes or spending policies.
      Their conduct could as easily be a short term mantra as any other, the use of the word campaign however in whatever context with regard to the owners is way over the top and if anything the suggestion would be of use to the mischief makers that troll the forum. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #101: Mar 25, 2013 05:33:28 pm
      ....some are getting rightfully nervous about the lack of direction from the owners, awarding Luis any reward is money in the bank and not indicative of any long term schemes or spending policies.
      Their conduct could as easily be a short term mantra as any other, the use of the word campaign however in whatever context with regard to the owners is way over the top and if anything the suggestion would be of use to the mischief makers that troll the forum. 

I don't know if there's a lack of direction from them this time though. I think there was a bit under Kenny, but it looks like Brendan has their backing, the scouting team is set up now, etc.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #102: Mar 25, 2013 05:37:41 pm

Considering that the performance related earnings have given Suarez a huge wage rise this year, I'm not too concerned about the reward factor.
      But I've seen numerous posts saying that the owners want to sell him to pocket the money.
      No evidence at all of that, because not once have they done it, but it still doesn't stop people from insisting it's true, all while they hide behind a facade of maybes and vague innuendo.

Having read the complete financial report, I can only say that I judge us to be on a sound footing, and that no money has been taken out of the club, however, money HAS been put into the club in the form of an interest free loan, which can be used to minimise tax exposure in the future, along with some losses which have been rolled over.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #103: Mar 25, 2013 05:44:53 pm
      If he wants to leave, let him. We want only players who want to play for Liverpool. I desperately want him to stay but if he wants to go, then farewell. The club is greater than any player.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #104: Mar 25, 2013 06:39:51 pm
      . The club is greater than any player.
      Well it used to be once upon a time,sounds like a fairy tale doesn't it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #105: Mar 25, 2013 07:59:27 pm
      f***in Hell No ! Not if FSG have any aspirations of returning this great club to greatness, next season is pivotal, we must finish in a CL spot or pay the consequences,
      We are already IMO two seasons behind where we should be after the king being de-thrones and having to start yet another re-building programme, losing your best players sets the club back further especially a player in the top 5 in the world, how can you replace a player such as Suarez, simple answer is you can't, no matter how much money a club has.
      ask Arsenal, they lost arguably their best 3 players in less than a year. Look how much they struggle now, yet they are better off financially than LFC,

If FSG do the dirty then for me they are no better than the last pair of KUNTS,
      I think we will have wee luis for next season but if we fail to land a CL berth it's goodbye, and who will blame him tbh, a top quality player like Suarez deserves to play in the top competitions and who are we to deny him that,

It should be FSG top priority to make sure the funds are put in place that would allow Brendan to bring in the players  that ensures a top 4 finish at least, for this reason I look forward to this summers transfer window, it will give us all a indication if we ever needed one just how much FSG are committed to returning us to the glory days, selling your best silverware just sets you back further than your rivals and makes even harder to reach the promise land,
           YNWA
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #106: Mar 25, 2013 08:22:15 pm
      If he wants to leave we'll start to see it in his body language over these last remaining league games...To me it's a double edged sword ; He could go on to smash another 9 or 10 goals in before Carra's final game, which is what we want him to do don't we? YES I hear you say..but as we all know it will push his price tag up even higher...won't it?..surely...
      The summer break is gonna be a nightmare for us all , worrying about whether he will stay or go , which is why he needs to let us know now on this run in keeping the ship steady....
      Deep down I think he'll stay, he still has loads to offer this club and he is our Top Man right now....(I remember saying those exact words with Torres a couple of years ago...funny eh)..seriously, he is a different animal to Torres , different player all together...much more technical..
      If he stays...This time NEXT year will be interesting..where we are in the running etc and if his head is still up....cos right now I don't see an unhappy Luis Suarez mopin around the pitch with his head down...do you? ???
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #107: Mar 25, 2013 08:23:36 pm
      Read a rumour today linking United with a £70m move for Bale so based on that alone, Suarez is at least worth £80m surely...

Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #108: Mar 25, 2013 08:33:41 pm
      It's quite simple, if Luis wants to go then he will, and anyone offering £50m will get him. I'd say his market value, IMHO, is around the £65m mark, and we could get that should a bidding war ensue. It's the price we will pay for not getting in the CL, and has been my fear all along this season. I really hope the owners dig deep and get the better quality players on board to give Luis the reassurance to stay. I could understand if he wanted to go, a player of his quality deserves to play in the CL, I just hope we can convince him Liverpool will be there next year.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #109: Mar 26, 2013 08:52:05 am
      The worth of the club will depreciate more than the fee we get if he leaves.

In 3 seasons we will have no Suarez, no Gerrard, no Reina and no quality players will want to come to us if we have no lure.

Splash the cash now and build a squad capable of challenging for a title and the money will roll in when we win trophies in the long run.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #110: Mar 26, 2013 09:03:37 am

In 3 seasons we will have no Suarez, no Gerrard, no Reina and no quality players will want to come to us if we have no lure.

Splash the cash now and build a squad capable of challenging for a title and the money will roll in when we win trophies in the long run.

Unless the owners are not planning to stay here long term. Anyways we can make conclusions after the next window.
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013 09:17:31 am by indlfc »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #111: Mar 26, 2013 09:12:41 am
      I wouldn't but Suarez has been the perfect moneyball signing for FSG  bought relatively low in comparisons and if sold it would be at double and then some, worth keeping that in mind.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #112: Mar 26, 2013 11:07:42 am

The above is a more attractive long term proposition than the brick by brick approach outlined below.
      FSG have put money into the club but the more attractive long term plan to the supporters is not neccessarily seen as such by the owners, it would involve a more immediate financial committment which will put LFC in with a shout trophy wise.
      The bigger the investment the greater the reward.   

Considering that the performance related earnings have given Suarez a huge wage rise this year, I'm not too concerned about the reward factor.
      But I've seen numerous posts saying that the owners want to sell him to pocket the money.
      No evidence at all of that, because not once have they done it, but it still doesn't stop people from insisting it's true, all while they hide behind a facade of maybes and vague innuendo.

Having read the complete financial report, I can only say that I judge us to be on a sound footing, and that no money has been taken out of the club, however, money HAS been put into the club in the form of an interest free loan, which can be used to minimise tax exposure in the future, along with some losses which have been rolled over.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #113: Mar 26, 2013 11:19:43 am
      The above is a more attractive long term proposition than the brick by brick approach outlined below.
      FSG have put money into the club but the more attractive long term plan to the supporters is not neccessarily seen as such by the owners, it would involve a more immediate financial committment which will put LFC in with a shout trophy wise.
      The bigger the investment the greater the reward.

Completely untrue, the bigger the investment the greater the risk is the reality.
      Look what happened last time the owners gave the go ahead to spend a shitload of money. Wow, we won a cup, but dropped further behind in the league, which according to historical quotes is our "bread and butter".

We've seen hundreds of millions wasted over the last 20 odd years, by a succession of managers.
      You seem to be under the impression that simply by chucking money at the squad, it will automatically improve, which is simply not the case.

We don't need to spunk huge amounts on marquee signings, we need to spend sensibly on players that will improve the collective, and give depth to the squad.

Also completely wrong is Crouchinhos assertion that the club itself will "depreciate" if Suarez is sold.
      I've never heard a more naive statement about finance.
      The club itself will not depreciate.
      Players, managers, owners are transitory, and only the owners can affect the value of the club and then only by running it down, which is not what is happening.
      I have to question whether Crouchinho actually knows what depreciation really is. Without looking it up on wiki ;)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #114: Mar 26, 2013 12:03:43 pm
      It's obvious i know what it means by the way i used the word and explained in my post.

If we lose Suarez, we're not as attractive to other players. Thats as obvious as it gets. Without CL football, without the names of Gerrard and Suarez to pull players, we won't be held as high as other clubs.

I have to question whether you know how to read in context.

Quick Reply