Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

U2 or Sex Pistols

Read 22732 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: U2 or Sex Pistols
      Reply #23: Mar 29, 2013 11:08:39 am
      Isnt the comparison a bit strange? Be like asking Oasis or wet wet wet

Oasis is wet wet wet.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24: Mar 29, 2013 02:04:12 pm
      It all started with the Sex Pistols. I saw them twice in 1976 — two gigs weeks apart at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester — Bernard Sumner (our guitarist) and I went together with a couple of friends to the first gig, and at the second gig I bumped into Ian Curtis, who would become our lead singer. They were only on for half an hour, but when they finished, we filed out quietly with our minds blown, absolutely utterly speechless, and it just sort of dawned on me then — that was it. On the way home that night we decided to form a band — Joy Division.   from Peter Hook

So without Sex PIstols no Joy Division and without these two bands probably nothing decent would have come out of music in my living memory

The fact that Peter Hook states the Pistols were an inspiration to the iconic Ian Curtis and Joy Division, who were a totally unique concept musically, speaks volumes.
      U2 struggle to muster at the best of times. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #25: Mar 29, 2013 06:21:54 pm
      Back to U2 and The Pistols. Would you rather Bono in the UN or John Lydon, and remember 'Johhny' doesn't lie. 

To be fair though, Johnny comes across as a southern, posh, pretentious pr**k!

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #26: Mar 29, 2013 06:41:18 pm
      To be fair though, Johnny comes across as a southern, posh, pretentious pr**k!

Read his book mate it could change your mind.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #27: Mar 29, 2013 08:14:38 pm
      Sex Pistols were more of an image than anything to do with music in my opinion.

U2 I just find utterly outstanding in every way. I really don't care what Bono says or does away from the stage and I care even less of the people who find him annoying but that man is a beautiful lyricist and an outstanding singer and performer. The claim that they are mere safe commercial sell outs just because they are probably only one of a few bands that can fill out 80,000 seater stadiums is a lazy claim and clearly they've never listened to Achtung Baby, The Unforgettable Fire or Zooropa. Their post punk emergence was raw and brilliant but for me they are all about the era from The Unforgettable Fire in 1984 through to Zooropa in 1993. They could do no wrong in that period. I especially love their transition from The Joshua Tree (along with The Queen Is Dead - the best album of the 80s IMO) to the more European influenced, dark and greasy Achtung Baby. The soundscapes on their albums are just outstanding, serving as a precursor to Radiohead and Sigur Ros I really believe. The Edge's guitar work - I can only describe as galactic. Adam Clayton and Larry Mullins tight rhythm just outstanding with their own starring turns (that bass line in New Year's Day! Those drums on A Sort of Homecoming!)

I think it was David Bowie who said in the early 90s that U2 were the only band around contemplating and hinting at a world beyond into the 21st Century. Too right David. Since 2000 they've followed a more commercial format with their music but they deserve it and in my opinion post 2000 U2 is the sound of a band comfortable and satisfied with their massive contribution to music around the world. And yet it still hasn't stopped them from churning out some incredible tunes. City of Blinding Lights and particularly Moment of Surrender are two of the very best U2 songs, both produced within the last 8 years. Can't wait until they release album number 13. Oh yeah and they revolutionised live music as it is. Zoo TV Live is the Sgt Pepper of rock concert tours! 4 of the most innovative and hard working men in music. The fact all 4 are still going strong is testament to what a true band they really are.

Lemon U2

Probably my favourite U2 song of all time.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #28: Mar 29, 2013 10:35:21 pm
      I know F**k all about the Sex Pistols other than I think it was Two Fingers towards the establishment, probably wrong.

Now U2..... Love the band and they filled a void in my music after the death of Freddie Mercury once Queen were no more.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #29: Mar 30, 2013 01:11:17 am
      I know f**k all about the Sex Pistols other than I think it was Two Fingers towards the establishment, probably wrong.

Now U2..... Love the band and they filled a void in my music after the death of Freddie Mercury once Queen were no more.

You see that I like. Freddy Mercury was an unbelievable performer and it seems honest to what he wanted. Queen sacrificed the american market by releasing 'I want to break free' and that is excellent. They wrote truly creative songs based on this integrity.
      I somehow feel U2 rode vein after vein of safe ground .. like Irish fervour in New York.. on their way to global domination. I think this is reflected in their art. THe Sex Pistols were basically over two years after they started but left a musical legacy that cannot be understated (same with Joy Division).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: Mar 30, 2013 02:42:50 am
      You see that I like. Freddy Mercury was an unbelievable performer and it seems honest to what he wanted. Queen sacrificed the american market by releasing 'I want to break free' and that is excellent. They wrote truly creative songs based on this integrity.
      I somehow feel U2 rode vein after vein of safe ground .. like Irish fervour in New York.. on their way to global domination. I think this is reflected in their art. THe Sex Pistols were basically over two years after they started but left a musical legacy that cannot be understated (same with Joy Division).

U2 safe? It's one of the biggest myths in music. They recreated themselves time and time again. I think some people allow the fact of selling near to 200 million records worldwide clouds people's perceptions of them. Achtung Baby remains one of the most stark and successful re inventions in rock music and is a level of musical talent, vision and nous that few bands have shown. Queen, despite Freddie Mercury being THE greatest rock n roll performer of all time, never stood up in the way U2 did.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Mar 30, 2013 05:45:54 am
      U2 safe? It's one of the biggest myths in music. They recreated themselves time and time again. I think some people allow the fact of selling near to 200 million records worldwide clouds people's perceptions of them. Achtung Baby remains one of the most stark and successful re inventions in rock music and is a level of musical talent, vision and nous that few bands have shown. Queen, despite Freddie Mercury being THE greatest rock n roll performer of all time, never stood up in the way U2 did.
      What is the legacy though. What would you say apart from record sales is their defining contribution?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #32: Mar 30, 2013 10:15:59 am

To be honest the predictable muzak by U2 and Queen is nothing short of tedious.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #33: Mar 30, 2013 11:29:50 am
      I don't look at what bands did when they had billions and the mega production resources befitting a mega band, I think anyone could make saleable music with this behind them. It usually ends up sounding like the producer anyway Wasn't U2's great change due to Brian Eno?

No I look at bands when they came out and caught the ear. How did they change the form or contribute to it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #34: Mar 30, 2013 11:59:36 am
      I don't look at what bands did when they had billions and the mega production resources befitting a mega band, I think anyone could make saleable music with this behind them. It usually ends up sounding like the producer anyway Wasn't U2's great change due to Brian Eno?

No I look at bands when they came out and caught the ear. How did they change the form or contribute to it.

As stated U2 on their conception were a vibrant and creative concept but fell into the trap of complacency when the model was accepted.
      Complacency or the entire rejection of the mindset was instrumental in the fragmenting and eventual break up of the Sex Pistols. 
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2013 12:11:50 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #35: Mar 30, 2013 01:11:09 pm

Well U2 hired Brian Eno when they were really only starting to make their mark after War and to say it was only him who changed U2 is kind of rubbish considering they must have gone through three changes at least under him. It's very difficult to define what Brian Eno sounds like in the first place considering the vast and brilliant array of work he has done. If you look at bands today, particularly Sigur Ros (who were influenced by them) that legacy in sound stands up more than The Sex Pistols who, besides, were not a patch on the real icons and influences of that time The Clash. If anyone has any doubts about their talents then listen to their first three albums. Boy, October and War which are an outstanding trio of albums. I do think people confuse image with musical worth and I think that's the way with The Sex Pistols.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #36: Mar 30, 2013 07:22:07 pm
      Likewise with Frankly Mr Shankly I think Sex Pistols were more of an image than anything else. For those growing up in that era it signifies a lot for them, but for those born well after, the whole anti-establishment image of them seems rather tame these days, given the fact that it has been diluted to such an extent that it's no longer shocking. For example, I don't really have an opinion on The Royal Family - I can see why people hate them and I can see why people like them, for me I personally couldn't care if they were to continue or not. Besides, I always thought Morrissey was much more witty and sophisticated without being a complete yob like the Pistols in his hardcore stance against them.

These days, I find John Lydon kinda likeable at times but the guy has a terrible voice, and the musicianship of the Pistols had a lot to be desired. I do think they are perhaps the most overrated band of all time, and punk has to be one of the most overrated movements of all time. It seemed to start a fashion in music for bands to have no musical or vocal ability - The Sex Pistols therefore being right at the forefront.

U2 are a far far better band. What seemed like an endless stream of great album after great album in the 80s and 90s produced some of the most interesting music that the mainstream these days is crying out for. Musically, far superior to the Pistols and Bono can actually sing. Those who know nothing will say they only ever produced one great album - The Joshua Tree. A great album, but not one that stands out amongst all their other great albums - War, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby are actually all better albums. Bono is also a great lyricist and The Edge is one of the most original and interesting guitarists of all time. In terms of musical progression, they make Radiohead look like luddites. The stark contrast from their post-punk era to the Brian Eno ambient soundscapes to the 90s electronica is phenomenal. No other band since has ever consistently reinvented themselves.

Personally, the hate for them is rooted in a sad and narrow minded conclusion - they are uncool and Bono's a dick. Very sorry to break the cliched rock band bubble, but why does 'cool' have to be essential to great music? I'm sure Beethoven and Mozart were the outspoken musicians of their day, just like the Gallagher brothers, or had radical and controversial views ala the Pistols or Morrissey. Imagine hipsters back in the latter half of the 1700s - they're sh*t because they're inoffensive and so mainstream.

I can see why Bono is annoying to people but can you name one rockstar who couldn't possibly be seen as a dickhead? And if we're going by personality, didn't Sid Vicious murder his wife in a drug crazed haze? Also, this is another thing with another quintessential 'cool' band The Who. I know he wasn't charged but Pete Townshend is still not a guy I would ever leave kids alone with. But in the music world never mind murder or paedophilia, Bono's charge of hypocrisy and apparent love of himself ranks as the biggest crime in music history. I would much rather have the Bono-who-loves-himself rather than possible-murderer-or-peadophile-Bono. It's a strange attitude the music world has.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #37: Mar 30, 2013 08:41:52 pm
      Sex Pistols. Johnny and Bono are both cockends though.

As has been mentioned, The Clash blow both of them out of the water and into smithereens.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38: Mar 30, 2013 09:01:23 pm
      Sex Pistols. Johnny and Bono are both cockends though.

As has been mentioned, The Clash blow both of them out of the water and into smithereens.

The Clash had nothing on The Smiths though....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #39: Mar 31, 2013 12:31:46 am

Agree.

The Smiths are untouchable for me.

Agree with a lot of what has been said about U2 particularly from yourself and Son of a Gun.

I understand that people can't stand them and Bono in particular but as you guys have said they are far from a band who churn out the same old stuff over their career.

I also understand how much of a phenomenon the Sex Pistols were and how influential they were, especially to bands I really love like Joy Division and New Order, but it really is hard to compare the two.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Apr 03, 2013 11:34:35 am
      I F***ing nearly choked there man. What the F**k?  :o

The Smiths are untouchable for me.

Untouchable like a manic-depressive, scabby fanny, dripping in discharge Si?  ;D

This thread started off as one of the F***ing daftest I've ever read and now this sacrilege: are you all on crystal Meth or what? Nutters the F***ing lot of you?  ;D

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #41: Apr 03, 2013 11:51:15 am
      I f**king nearly choked there man. What the f**k?  :o

Untouchable like a manic-depressive, scabby fanny, dripping in discharge Si?  ;D

This thread started off as one of the f**king daftest I've ever read and now this sacrilege: are you all on crystal Meth or what? Nutters the f**king lot of you?  ;D

I think i may have triggered it off as usual by mentioning Queen.

:D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #42: Apr 03, 2013 11:54:43 am
      I F***ing nearly choked there man. What the F**k?  :o

This thread started off as one of the F***ing daftest I've ever read and now this sacrilege: are you all on crystal Meth or what? Nutters the F***ing lot of you?  ;D

A very picturesque response mate, graphic if nothing else but one I can only agree with. The Smiths are quaintly amusing at best and a grotesque caricature at the other end of the scale, their musical qualities are questionable. Nevertheless they are highly entertaining.
      It is rather fitting they are included in this dubious comparison of dissimilar musical taste.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43: Apr 03, 2013 03:17:19 pm

:lmao:

I'll put you in the 'Not really a Smiths Fan' group then Mouse. ;D

The Smiths are quaintly amusing at best and a grotesque caricature at the other end of the scale, their musical qualities are questionable.

Now that's fighting talk Stuey. :D

Morrissey is a lyrical genius and Marr is one of the greatest ever to pick up a guitar but it just shows why music is really down to personal taste.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Apr 03, 2013 04:15:18 pm
      I'll put you in the 'Not really a Smiths Fan' group then Mouse.
      ;D

The Smiths would give Prozac depression.  >:D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #45: Apr 03, 2013 08:49:39 pm
      Punk was never my thing so would have to be U2 for me.
      With you on that.

Much rather listen to U2 although I can respect the contributions of the Pistols  (or moreso the Clash).

Quick Reply