Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

U2 or Sex Pistols

Read 22744 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: U2 or Sex Pistols
      Reply #46: Apr 03, 2013 10:15:23 pm
      Saw Johnny Marr two weeks ago. He is one cool man. The best guitarist of the last 30 years and Morrissey the best lyricist in British pop music....ever.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Apr 03, 2013 10:20:28 pm
      Saw Johnny Marr two weeks ago. He is one cool man. The best guitarist of the last 30 years and Morrissey the best lyricist in British pop music....ever.

And together - perfection.

I never tire of listening to The Smiths, and I'm not even a manic depressive!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #48: Apr 03, 2013 10:24:56 pm

Some major claims being made right there hah. I don't consider Morrissey a better lyricist than Ray Davies, for example.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #49: Apr 03, 2013 11:58:16 pm
      I always think the Smiths are a good band like the cure but they fed off Joy Division who for their brief existence were truly great.

THe Sex Pistols are the same but for fu*ks sake ...GO AND LISTEN TO NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS AGAIN. It is one of the greats no mistake
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #50: Apr 04, 2013 02:05:59 am
      I always think the Smiths are a good band like the cure but they fed off Joy Division who for their brief existence were truly great.

THe Sex Pistols are the same but for fu*ks sake ...GO AND LISTEN TO NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS AGAIN. It is one of the greats no mistake

Not even on a par with Pink Floyd's "Fearless" No Kop on it for a start!! ;)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #51: Apr 04, 2013 03:44:44 am
      Not even on a par with Pink Floyd's "Fearless" No Kop on it for a start!! ;)

It was backmasked though. If you play 'ANarchy in the UK' backwards it says "You'll Never Walk Alone" it then says "John is dead and The Mancs are f*cked".
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #52: Apr 04, 2013 07:13:18 am
      I'll put you in the 'Not really a Smiths Fan' group then Mouse. ;D

Better chuck me in there as well, mate before I go on a rant and get into an argument with Smiths fans... again.  :P
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #53: Apr 04, 2013 07:51:51 am
      It was backmasked though. If you play 'ANarchy in the UK' backwards it says "You'll Never Walk Alone" it then says "John is dead and The Mancs are f*cked".

John Lydon had an affinity with Liverpool in his days with the pistols, his parents being of Irish stock as they were.

Some major claims being made right there hah. I don't consider Morrissey a better lyricist than Ray Davies, for example.

Never mind Ray Davies brilliant as he was, what about John Winston Lennon? A comparison with Morrissey on any level in both situations is ridiculous.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #54: Apr 04, 2013 12:36:06 pm
      If you play 'ANarchy in the UK' backwards it says "You'll Never Walk Alone" it then says "John is dead and The Mancs are f*cked".

If you play any song backwards, you're a bit of a fool and a wrecker of good vinyl!!

A joke nicked from the comedian god Bill Hicks ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Apr 04, 2013 02:09:47 pm
      If you play any song backwards, you're a bit of a fool and a wrecker of good vinyl!!

A joke nicked from the comedian god Bill Hicks ;)

Suck satan's cock.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #56: Apr 04, 2013 02:12:01 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: Apr 04, 2013 02:18:42 pm

So the answer to the topic question was:

Hendrix or Cobain.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: Apr 04, 2013 02:29:25 pm
      John Lydon had an affinity with Liverpool in his days with the pistols, his parents being of Irish stock as they were.

Never mind Ray Davies brilliant as he was, what about John Winston Lennon? A comparison with Morrissey on any level in both situations is ridiculous.

Was in Durness recently (far North of Scotland), one of John Lennon's most cherished places where he holidayed as a kid and where he later took Yoko and Julian in the middle of recording Abbey Road. Saw the memorial garden named in his honor complete with lyrics from In My Life inscribed in stone. Was awesome being in a place so small and remote yet where his presence was and continue to be so keenly felt.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #59: Apr 04, 2013 03:05:52 pm
      Was in Durness recently (far North of Scotland), one of John Lennon's most cherished places where he holidayed as a kid and where he later took Yoko and Julian in the middle of recording Abbey Road. Saw the memorial garden named in his honor complete with lyrics from In My Life inscribed in stone. Was awesome being in a place so small and remote yet where his presence was and continue to be so keenly felt.

Thanks for that intriguing insight mate, used to visit Inverness and further North in the past if I had known about Durness and the Lennon connection we'd have got there for sure.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #60: Apr 04, 2013 07:48:24 pm

The Smiths sound nothing like Joy Division. Plus Johnny Marr could do stuff that nobody in Joy Division could ever do. Pardon the pun, but Marr and Morrissey fitted together like hand in glove - the greatest songwriting partnership of all time (yes even better than Lennon/McCartney - who were better as individuals. The best Beatles songs are ones that were written individually by Lennon or McCartney).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #61: Apr 04, 2013 09:37:12 pm
      The Smiths sound nothing like Joy Division. Plus Johnny Marr could do stuff that nobody in Joy Division could ever do. Pardon the pun, but Marr and Morrissey fitted together like hand in glove - the greatest songwriting partnership of all time (yes even better than Lennon/McCartney - who were better as individuals. The best Beatles songs are ones that were written individually by Lennon or McCartney).

Finally another sensible poster on the subject of the Smiths.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #62: Apr 04, 2013 10:30:27 pm
      Never been struck by Joy Divison. Don't ever believe the musicianship, vocal and lyrical level was anywhere near to what The Smiths achieved.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #63: Apr 04, 2013 11:38:46 pm

Joy Division sound nothing like the Sex Pistols but they were inspired by them. The kind of lyrics Ian Curtis was writing and music Joy Division created was creating a movement and therefore an audience for bands like the Smiths. Same way the artists who inspired Nirvana also created an audience for them.

I cannot say I am right about whose better only state who I like and why. BUT C'MON JOY DIVISION AND THE SEX PISTOLS. Everybody at that concert would form a band. Those two bands take you to a different state, it's not just about quiet reflection for me. Listen to 'Disorder' or 'Bodies'
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Apr 05, 2013 03:56:27 pm
      I understand your point and I love the Sex Pistols, but I still think you're overestimating them. The Ramones were a far better band, much more significant as well, and they started it all with the Punk movement.

There would be no Sex Pistols without the Ramones. So if you're going to dismiss The Smiths because of Joy Division, you can also do the same with the Pistols in comparing them to the Ramones. And yes, you could do it to every single band on earth ;D

And while I do agree that some bands are more significant than others, and that the Smiths have been influenced by Joy Division, The Smiths have also influenced a LOT of bands that came after and much of the "indie" rock of the 90's.

Bands are influenced and bands influence others - some more, some less - and The Smiths and The Cure, to speak of two mentioned in this thread, were also highly influential.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #65: Apr 07, 2013 10:01:23 am
      I understand your point and I love the Sex Pistols, but I still think you're overestimating them. The Ramones were a far better band, much more significant as well, and they started it all with the Punk movement.

There would be no Sex Pistols without the Ramones. So if you're going to dismiss The Smiths because of Joy Division, you can also do the same with the Pistols in comparing them to the Ramones. And yes, you could do it to every single band on earth ;D

And while I do agree that some bands are more significant than others, and that the Smiths have been influenced by Joy Division, The Smiths have also influenced a LOT of bands that came after and much of the "indie" rock of the 90's.

Bands are influenced and bands influence others - some more, some less - and The Smiths and The Cure, to speak of two mentioned in this thread, were also highly influential.
      The inspiring is one thing but joy division and the pistols throw you out of your seat. The ramone  to me are like the replacements every song is basically the same . Punk is not just chord progression or rhythm it is an art like free jazz albeit less cerebral more primal. Joy division and the pistols to me are just incomparable as avant garde artists not the style of guitar or singin. It was the songs they created. These songs were unbelievably listenable almost pop tracks with a very powerful but not cheesy message on
      Y nirvana has managed that since
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #66: Apr 07, 2013 02:58:40 pm
      The inspiring is one thing but joy division and the pistols throw you out of your seat. The ramone  to me are like the replacements every song is basically the same . Punk is not just chord progression or rhythm it is an art like free jazz albeit less cerebral more primal. Joy division and the pistols to me are just incomparable as avant garde artists not the style of guitar or singin. It was the songs they created. These songs were unbelievably listenable almost pop tracks with a very powerful but not cheesy message on
      Y nirvana has managed that since

Fair enough. But you're then mixing personal opinions/feelings with a bigger discussion about influence and significance.

Joy Division never threw me out of my seat. The Ramones did. And they created one of the most active musical scenes ever, and that includes the Sex Pistols.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #67: Apr 07, 2013 03:56:23 pm
      Saw the Sex Pistols live, and they were sh*t, couldn't even play, never mind sing! U2 all the way for me, outstanding live band.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #68: Apr 08, 2013 12:05:23 am
      Fair enough. But you're then mixing personal opinions/feelings with a bigger discussion about influence and significance.

Joy Division never threw me out of my seat. The Ramones did. And they created one of the most active musical scenes ever, and that includes the Sex Pistols.

Personal opinions are what this is about. In terms of influence, it's difficult. What did the Sex Pistols/ Joy Division achieve. Were they really seminal in the field? Did they rip half of it off? Did the Ramones rip their style off/ Was it a great innovation. What I really think about is the quailty of the songs they created. Their lyrics, music, the point of themeverything. I think these two bands were excellent for this reason. And as for musician ship or live presentation. They weren't Beethoven and that is exactly the point.

Quick Reply