Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool's man of the match?

Luis Suarez
      9 (8.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (18.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      25 (23.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      51 (48.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      1 (0.9%)
      Somebody else
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2013 04:43:59 pm

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match appeasement

Read 24802 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match appeasement
      Reply #322: Mar 31, 2013 04:51:47 pm
      Didn't seethe game as I've had twenty kids round on a Easter egg hunt ,then food ,then to the park ,I'm F***ing knackered but happy to hear we got the three points :-)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #323: Mar 31, 2013 05:00:21 pm
      Didn't get to see the game but glad we got the three points after the Southampton result.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #324: Mar 31, 2013 05:08:23 pm
      Damn sight better than the abomination of a performance against Saints! Could character to come from behind and win but we made them look better than what they are.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #325: Mar 31, 2013 05:13:10 pm
      We were poor really, but got the 3 points, that's all the counts. And away from home, after being behind. Can't complain! :)

Also delighted that I backed Liverpool at HT and got 40 quid to show for it! :)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #326: Mar 31, 2013 05:20:55 pm
      Poor in patches, but very good for the most part

That was Villa fighting for their Prem lives, at home, and again showing we can come back from being behind

Good 3 points

Happy
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #327: Mar 31, 2013 05:33:13 pm
      We were poor today but we won and that's what counts the most. Showed great character to come back from 1-0 down and turn it around. I'm getting worried about our pass at all costs style of play when we're playing it from the back, it's too high risk sometimes, especially when the hoof up top is the safest option to alleviate that pressure.

If in doubt slam the f**ker out. Coutinho is looking like the real deal and Gerrard was just immense, up and down the pitch like a train. My MOTM has to go to Henderson, he reacted well to being left out recently and put in a hell of a shift and took his goal really well. You could see in his celebration how much playing for us means to him, you could see the fight in the veins popping out of his head!.

On a side note, our defence was absolute sh*te and Brendan can't keep ignoring it. It is getting worse and Agger is half the player he was last Season.

Well done Redmen, 3 points in the bag but i fear it's too little too late for that spot.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #328: Mar 31, 2013 05:34:17 pm
      Didn't play our best but that's four wins from five in the league and we continue to improve. Interesting to hear the boss say that Lucas hadn't trained all week before the Southampton game too, I guess that explains the "baffling" selection. Well done to the manager for what was an effective half time team talk too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #329: Mar 31, 2013 05:46:35 pm
      We weren't brilliant but we weren't anywhere near as bad as many are saying we were. Should've won by more.

That's true. It was average for most the game and very good for parts of it. More than worth the three points.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #330: Mar 31, 2013 05:51:45 pm
      That's true. It was average for most the game and very good for parts of it. More than worth the three points.
      Exactly. I think some people were getting carried away with hyperbole. We were nowhere near as bad as some were saying. It is true we weren't setting the game on fire, but we did play very well for most of it.

Worried about Suarez though - needs a break. Good luck telling him Gaffer.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #331: Mar 31, 2013 06:07:07 pm
      We scraped the win today and i won't complain because there have been games where we were excellent and lost . i thought Stevie was excellent with couthinho running a close 2nd .

hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #332: Mar 31, 2013 06:09:51 pm
      Hendo my MOTM. I though he really helped with his pressing and dictated the pace of play in the second half
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #333: Mar 31, 2013 06:20:29 pm
       Can't believe people saying we were "bad" when we've just won away from home against a team fighting for their lives. I cannot think of a better demonstration of the way people are reluctant to give the manager any praise.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #334: Mar 31, 2013 06:23:16 pm
      We came out a goal down against a team fighting for survival and got back in it from the off and held on. Great effort. Manager and players deserve to be praised.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #335: Mar 31, 2013 06:28:03 pm
      We came out a goal down against a team fighting for survival and got back in it from the off and held on. Great effort. Manager and players deserve to be praised.

Precisely. God knows what people actually want, it staggers me sometimes. Four wins from five in the league, we beat a team who really needed the points despite the fact that on the face of it we haven't got anywhere as much to play for. We had probably all our squad on International duty whereas they didn't, and we came back from a goal behind at half time. But we were "sh*te", unbelievable really.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #336: Mar 31, 2013 06:42:10 pm

Precisely. God knows what people actually want, it staggers me sometimes. Four wins from five in the league, we beat a team who really needed the points despite the fact that on the face of it we haven't got anywhere as much to play for. We had probably all our squad on International duty whereas they didn't, and we came back from a goal behind at half time. But we were "sh*te", unbelievable really.
      I agree with your point that we came back at a goal down to win "something that has been lacking for a while with us " but i think that it's the fact we were under pressure to hold the lead in the end is a genuine concern .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #337: Mar 31, 2013 06:46:03 pm
      Bossed the first 20 then let them in, we were  Shiite for the rest of the half,
      Second half was much better and looked like Brendan had a word or two, Coutinho's pass was world class and Hendo took it well with calmness personified, he did himself a lot of good today, Gerrard was my motm great box to box play, superbly taken pen and his header off the line saved the day,

Suarez was decidedly average I thought but he still had an effect with his work rate and keeping their defense guessing and winning the pen, Coutinho just gets better and better and was unlucky not to score, they were our best 4 players today, the rest were average at best with Johnson, Enrique, and Downing way off the mark, disappointed we did'nt see Sturridge thought maybe  bringing him on would give us another dimension and more worries for villa's defense,

Over all a well earned three points but a better side would have gave us. Nightmares tbf, we need to learn to finish teams off earlier, after going  2-1 up we should push on for a third and kill it, I feared they were going to get a equaliser and damn near did,
      Well done lads in the end not a brilliant display by any stretch but winning ugly is fine by me.
                       IBWT.     YNWA
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #338: Mar 31, 2013 06:54:49 pm

Totally agree.  We were much worse against Southampton.  Was a good game to watch though.  We had some really good passages of play then we went quiet for some long passages.  I don't think Downing was too poor today.  Lucas was pretty bad, Stevie made up for it though, really nice showing from him.  Nice to see Sterling given a run out.  Hope Villa stay up, they give it a right go and they play some fantastic football sometimes, that Benteke goal, wow. 
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #339: Mar 31, 2013 06:58:18 pm
      What Rodgers said today would initially sound depressing, but Jonathan Pearce said it looked very hopeful for Liverpool next season and that they'd seemed to have turned a corner under Rodgers style. Rodgers response was 'we haven't even reached that corner yet'. May sound depressing for a lot of fans, but this gives me much confidence in the guy.

Like what has been said repeatedly on this forum, this is going to take a long long time and I find it encouraging that Rodgers sights aren't low to determine their form as 'having turned a corner'. The realisation that there is improvement but still a long way to go gives me confidence. Imagine if he had said they'd turned a corner? It would seem like a manager whose sights are set low and not determined to iron out the problems in the side. That would definitely worry me.

Attacking wise, excellent again today - going back to Rodgers first press conference in June 2011 and he said Liverpool needed to score more goals. He's pretty much gone about this mission with ease, with what seemed a problem for a number of years previously. Defense still a major problem so perhaps this should be the main priority for Rodgers in the summer. Also, I don't want to envisage another period in which Lucas is absent. We need a proper back up to Lucas which we just don't have at the moment.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #340: Mar 31, 2013 07:02:30 pm
      Also, I don't want to envisage another period in which Lucas is absent.

He's been absent for quite some time now....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #341: Mar 31, 2013 07:07:36 pm
      Hard fought win by all accounts, after the Southampon debacle the three points are very welcome thank you.
      Well done Redmen.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #342: Mar 31, 2013 07:12:51 pm
      What Rodgers said today would initially sound depressing, but Jonathan Pearce said it looked very hopeful for Liverpool next season and that they'd seemed to have turned a corner under Rodgers style. Rodgers response was 'we haven't even reached that corner yet'. May sound depressing for a lot of fans, but this gives me much confidence in the guy.

Totally agree with you.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #343: Mar 31, 2013 07:41:00 pm
      Wasn't able to follow this one as I was at Easter service but getting 3 points is good no matter how it's done. Onwards and upwards. Well done Reds.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #344: Mar 31, 2013 07:44:38 pm
      Well we got the 3 points which is what we went to Villa Park for,I was so impressed with Couthino especially the pass to Henderson.This lad has got so much vision and a football brain to match.Henderson took his goal very well and he has come a long way since last season.Pepe made some fantastic saves and Stevie Gerrard saved us 2 points with his header off the goal line.The one thing that does disturb me is this close passing in our own goal area,at times we just need to clear the ball.

Quick Reply