Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool's man of the match?

Luis Suarez
      9 (8.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (18.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      25 (23.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      51 (48.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      1 (0.9%)
      Somebody else
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2013 04:43:59 pm

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match appeasement

Read 24786 times
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match appeasement
      Reply #368: Apr 01, 2013 06:55:35 am
      I'm the complete opposite, I only come on here when we win because I get so depressed and upset after losing that I have to detach myself from all football related media for a few days.

Loving the fact we came from behind today. It's a big win.

Same for me. I stop watching all the re-runs and highlights.I make it feel like a football less weekend. All this aside, it was a great win for us even though I couldn't watch it. I always love LFC comebacks and so gutted to have missed out on all the 'punching the air' when we would have scored the winner.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #369: Apr 01, 2013 08:01:46 am

The tackle on Henderson by Westwood was horiffic red card all day, could very easily have been stretcher job and a broken leg - studs up, straight leg, how he stayed on is a mystery.   
      Could the fact that the ref is his Dad and the 2 linesmen are his uncles have anything to do with it stuey.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #370: Apr 01, 2013 08:40:40 am
      Liverpool's comeback win brings new whiff of hope
      Posted by Kristian Walsh

At some point on Easter Sunday evening, Liverpool fans will file out of Lime Street station and be met by buildings so familiar; buildings old, new, worn, torn, tall and small. Amongst those buildings is the Royal Court - so unmissable and unmistakable, a place where theatre is supposed to live. On its vast, towering brick wall front is a poster equally towering and vast. It promotes a recent play, not long since the curtain fell for the final time, and so much else. Its name is Hope.

That one word, the title of the play, rests there in big, yellow letters, greeting those who enter the city. How apt it will feel that is one of the first things those Liverpool supporters will see after slowly making their way home from Birmingham after watching their side's 2-1 victory over Aston Villa.

To talk about hope in football seems trite and cliché; it fits the discourse that has followed Liverpool for the 23 years without a league title. Next season will always be their season. It never is.

The supporters are still counting the years. The supporters still hope. It is the basis on which those who watch football function. It is a game of passion where cogent thought is rarely present and correct. Victory brings elation, defeat heralds the world's end - but every result brings hope.

The target has been lowered over the past few years. No longer is the title the aim, but simply slow improvement, child-like steps towards the Champions League. No matter. All football fans hope, even if it is to simply survive.

Liverpool have got their fans hoping again. This was an away victory that keeps the limp carcass of a season still breathing, still lifting itself from the canvas. In a season banished at so many stages throughout, it seemed improbable it would still do so with seven games remaining.

But this side sit just five points from fifth and seven from fourth, albeit having played games extra. The gap has not widened or narrowed since their defeat to Southampton a fortnight ago and the target remains the same, with a game less to achieve it. How winning a game of football can mangle a mindset, particularly in the manner they did.

Liverpool have been a team that struggle when pressure presents itself. But this was a victory that was just enough. After the past few years, just enough is more than good enough. A goal down, they went into half-time with a feeling so familiar: the better of the play, but not the better of the scoreline.

Still, it was not a Liverpool of much wonder in the opening 45 minutes. Steven Gerrard stung the palms of Brad Guzan but no more. Chances were handed to Luis Suarez, both from his own endeavour and Villa's incompetence, but the surety in front of goal was not as it was against Wigan, Tottenham and so many others this season. Christian Benteke's goal inevitable, both in timing and tone.

Once more, the Belgian had used his strength to put Liverpool behind. Once more, the defence struggled against brute force, while the midfield's shield to them was non-existent. Liverpool seem to perpetually fail to read between the lines as the opposition float in-between them.

One of the biggest afflictions of Liverpool has been their ability to turn a bad situation into one quite good. This was a day where all questions of mental fragility were answered, if only for a week. They had not won a league game after conceding the first goal since December 2011, when Newcastle were turned over at Anfield, while just one half-time deficit has been turned into a full-time win this season.

That win against West Ham came from a three-minute whirlwind late on. This redemption was far more measured, a plan carried out with intelligence and nous. Stewart Downing, stationed on the right, pushed back left-back Joe Bennett; the young Englishman habitually played the rest of Liverpool's attack onside, allowing Suarez and the increasingly influential Philippe Coutinho to combine. Within two minutes of the restart, success: Coutinho received the ball on the left in space and played it into the path of the oncoming Jordan Henderson.

Everything about the goal was just right. The Brazilian's ball, which was perfectly weighted; the finish from Henderson, perfectly placed; the simple fact it was indeed Henderson, marginalised in recent weeks, who sprinted towards the away support and absorbed adoration that should have been his long ago.

Henderson was central to the second-half revival, the 15-minute period which brought two goals and hope once more. It is said the role Henderson plays is one that widely goes unnoticed in football; no such luck for the shy lad from Sunderland. He broke up Villa's attacks, often running beyond Lucas Leiva - the designated holding midfielder - to tidy up in midfield. He offered himself for every ball and provided them for all around him.

He was not the only one to shine in the second half. Suarez's performance would receive the moment it deserved when he won the penalty, Nathan Baker's foul the final, desperate attempt to end a desperate afternoon against the Uruguayan. Likewise Gerrard, improving with every pass, deserved to put the emphatic finish upon an impressive period.

With hope firmly established once more and glances cast upwards instead of downwards, it was the turn of the defence to prove their obituary has not been fully penned. It took over 135 minutes to deal with Benteke. It was worth the wait. Jamie Carragher battled and Daniel Agger hardened. Lucas, who still awaits full fitness and full capability, dug in.

This was a collective effort to keep the lead: Gerrard stretched his neck to clear off the line; Downing ran from right to left to support the raw, naive Raheem Sterling. Brendan Rodgers stalked the sideline, verbally plugging every gap and chasing every loose ball.

There will be the caveat, of course, of this being Villa - a team who is not just flirting with relegation, but writing its wedding vows. There will be the worry that once again the team struggled to keep the ball sufficiently once going 2-1 ahead and that the buzz of ending the game with a third goal took preference over removing the sting from a potential Villa equaliser.

That will come in time. For now, Liverpool will just keep hold of hope, both for this season and beyond. This was a game where they learnt, in some small way, what is needed to turn around a performance far from ideal to finish with more than that.

The Liverpool fans will see hope when they return home; hope that this is a club learning and progressing. They will see that too when they wake up in the lazy Easter sunshine on Monday. They might as well enjoy it - who knows when the curtain could fall.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/810?cc=5739
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #371: Apr 01, 2013 10:21:09 am
      Very happy with yesterday's result and for the 2nd time in 3 games I'd call that a 'character' win. admittedly everyone would be a lot happier if we'd managed the same in the game at St Marys but there you have it. I thought this game really highlighted where we are as a side at the moment and simply rubberstamps what needs to be improved on from a squad perspective as well as highlighting the positive work that has been done. On the positive side some of our attacking play was excellent. Our movement was good, the passing slick and you can see why we're the league's 2nd top scorers. Our weaknesses were equally on show, we conceded to a very simply direct ball over the top, we struggled at set-pieces and didn't know how to handle Benteke during their good spells.

Stevie was hands down MOTM again for me. What a decisive contribution from the skipper (that pass, that penno) and that header off the line simply summed him up for me. Anyone remember his first Mersey derby!? Well he's still playing with the same die hard determination all these years later.

Young Coutinho ran him a close 2nd. What a cracking little player we seem to have picked up. Love his link ups with Suarez which were well picked out on MOTD last night. His movment is superb and I love his confidence on the ball. I tihnk that's 2 goals and 3 assists for the lad already and he will only get better.

I was delighted to see Henderson back in the side for this one. He's been a bit hard done by to have lost his starting spot in recent weeks and we've missed his energy at times. Stevie and Lucas don't really have it in them to get about the pitch so Jordan's tireless running and energy help to off-set that and his finish for the crucial equliser was pure class.

4th mention for me goes to Pepe Reina. Our number 1 GK has slowly but surely played himself back into the sort of form we took for granted at one stage and I would argue this is his best spell in 3 years.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #372: Apr 01, 2013 10:57:57 am
      Not the greatest of games but I said in the pre match thread, a win is all that matters.

Some positives from the game. 

Winning a game, when we didn't score first, for the first time in over 12 months.  This is a massive confidence boost for the lads, proof that they can fight back when needed.  It's another part of the learning curve they've been going through all season.

Hendo scoring another.  He didn't deserve to be dropped when he was and took the opportunity to show why.

The fabulous link up play between Coutinho and Suarez.  What a player the young lad is going to be!  I know it's early days but it's effortless for him and that shows the talent and qualities he has.  If we bring in 2 or 3 players with this lads abilities in the summer I'll be f**king ecstatic.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #373: Apr 01, 2013 11:02:26 am
      Could the fact that the ref is his Dad and the 2 linesmen are his uncles have anything to do with it stuey.

Knew there was a simple explanation Billy.

Got to echo the comments about Pepe, the lad had a blinding game - but then again we sometimes take it for granted, until Jones gets between the sticks.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #374: Apr 01, 2013 11:10:05 am
      Benteke was just great yesterday, he's big, athletic and excellent in possession.

I just could not understand why Shelvey, Assaidi and Sturridge were not involved?
      I don't mean the 3 of them should have played but at least one of them.

Coutinho was the MOTM.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #375: Apr 01, 2013 01:08:44 pm
      To pick up three points in an away game is a great feeling! However even more important is to see the fighting spirit of the players and that they get what they deserve in the end! You get a goal in the first half, you go into the break, you come back and you score the equalizer! From that point you fight for the victory and you win the match!

I take the three points from that match, but I also take a lot of hope for the upcoming games!  :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #376: Apr 01, 2013 01:56:13 pm
      Because of the time zone differentials, I was at church during this match hah

Looks like a good win, showing character to come back from down a goal and get a win. From what I've read, it looks like our shoddy defending is still problematic and Benteke had another good game for Villa. For us, sounds like Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho and Suarez all had good games.

Really happy for Hendo to grab another goal! There's been definite improvement from both him and Downing this season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #377: Apr 01, 2013 02:22:03 pm
      A few quick thoughts....

Our defense needs a lot of work over the summer/preseason!!  We concede far too many simple goals, and yesterday's was as easy as it gets.  Long ball over the top, knock down by one player, shot on goal by the 2nd player.  It was a very neat touch by Agbonlahor and a fine strike by Benteke, but we are too soft in these type of situations.

Coutinho was our obvious outlet.  Every time we won possession back, we immediately looked to the left wing to pick him out and transition into attack.  It is how we sprung Hendo for his goal, and he also put Suarez clean through in the first half with a nicely weighted through ball.  Despite sliding his shot wide when he should have scored, he was top class all game and looks to be growing in confidence with each match!! 

Hendo gives us much needed energy and balance in midfield that is missing when Sturridge plays.  I feel that if/when Sturridge plays up front with Suarez that one of Downing/Coutinho need to be sacrificed, not Hendo. 

Very good 2nd half performance, and a good enough result.  Happy with the way the lads bounced back after the last game. 
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #378: Apr 01, 2013 02:31:07 pm
      A few quick thoughts....

Our defense needs a lot of work over the summer/preseason!!  We concede far too many simple goals, and yesterday's was as easy as it gets.  Long ball over the top, knock down by one player, shot on goal by the 2nd player.  It was a very neat touch by Agbonlahor and a fine strike by Benteke, but we are too soft in these type of situations.

Coutinho was our obvious outlet.  Every time we won possession back, we immediately looked to the left wing to pick him out and transition into attack.  It is how we sprung Hendo for his goal, and he also put Suarez clean through in the first half with a nicely weighted through ball.  Despite sliding his shot wide when he should have scored, he was top class all game and looks to be growing in confidence with each match!! 

Hendo gives us much needed energy and balance in midfield that is missing when Sturridge plays.  I feel that if/when Sturridge plays up front with Suarez that one of Downing/Coutinho need to be sacrificed, not Hendo. 

Very good 2nd half performance, and a good enough result.  Happy with the way the lads bounced back after the last game.

We need a commanding center back (like Sammi) because Agger, Carra and Skrtel are weak when it comes to heading the ball. A new CB and another left back must be at the top of the shopping list, because we've no cover for Enrqiue either
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #379: Apr 01, 2013 02:39:39 pm
      Shopping list for me is holding midfielder and centre back.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #380: Apr 01, 2013 03:17:04 pm

Agreed.  I've been hesitant to say this, but I think we need to upgrade on Lucas.  He is a very good player and a great lad to have in the team, but his performances this year have been sub par.  I hate to call him out as he's been a model professional and he is still trying to get back to his best after a year on the sidelines, but I feel that if we really want to improve our team that we need to get a real top quality CDM in the summer. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #381: Apr 01, 2013 04:01:55 pm
      Agreed.  I've been hesitant to say this, but I think we need to upgrade on Lucas.  He is a very good player and a great lad to have in the team, but his performances this year have been sub par.  I hate to call him out as he's been a model professional and he is still trying to get back to his best after a year on the sidelines, but I feel that if we really want to improve our team that we need to get a real top quality CDM in the summer. 

Correct mate, the lad is still not 100% after his lay off. All things being equal we should have had an adequate stand in but that was not the case and Lucas and his skills were sorely missed.
      Having stated the he isn't 100% his contribution to the team pre-injury is still missed as is the adequate replacement that should have been in place initially, to point any fingers for the team being found wanting in Lucas' direction is folly indeed. 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #382: Apr 01, 2013 04:03:54 pm
      I fully expect for Lucas to be back to his best come the start of the next season

He was never the fasted out of the blocks at any rate, and I think it's more to do with being out for a year
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #383: Apr 01, 2013 04:25:31 pm
      I fully expect for Lucas to be back to his best come the start of the next season

He was never the fasted out of the blocks at any rate, and I think it's more to do with being out for a year

I agree. You can't really overstate the importance of having a good summer break and full pre-season. Lucas has had neither, due to bad injruies.

Hopefully he'll jet off to Rio and enjoy a few weeks on the beach before getting back up to speed with a full training schedule over the summer.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #384: Apr 01, 2013 04:45:14 pm
      I agree. You can't really overstate the importance of having a good summer break and full pre-season. Lucas has had neither, due to bad injruies.

He was rushed back due to the fact he was never replaced satisfactorilly when he was injured, an injury not fully sorted out because of the haste.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,687 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #385: Apr 01, 2013 06:32:41 pm
      Any link to the match to watch it please because I could not watch it because of Easter Sunday.

Thanks
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #386: Apr 01, 2013 06:46:20 pm
      Any link to the match to watch it please because I could not watch it because of Easter Sunday.

Thanks

I could only find one with Spanish commentary, but it's pretty good quality if that doesn't bother you:

http://hotfile.com/dl/200869532/d88b441/2013_3_31_AstonVillavsLiverpoolHD1ert.mp4.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/200869530/6e5e4ce/2013_3_31_AstonVillavsLiverpoolHD2dot.mp4.html

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #387: Apr 01, 2013 07:23:38 pm

This, 2 giants please that can have a physical presence in either box which we are clearly lacking. Dede and Wanyama for me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #388: Apr 01, 2013 10:48:12 pm
      Delighted to beat a team in relegation trouble, and thats not being sarcastic or April fools etc . I feared we'd drop points here but instead we were comfy.

Coutinho ah what a pass for hendo. Sublime. Hendo is becoming the player that Kenny saw but that too many gave up on too quick.

I genuinely felt after yesterday that if Brendan plays it right this summer were on the way to where we should be
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #389: Apr 01, 2013 10:52:58 pm
      Delighted to beat a team in relegation trouble, and thats not being sarcastic or April fools etc . I feared we'd drop points here but instead we were comfy.

Coutinho ah what a pass for hendo. Sublime. Hendo is becoming the player that Kenny saw but that too many gave up on too quick.

I genuinely felt after yesterday that if Brendan plays it right this summer were on the way to where we should be

Spot on Brian, in fact I think we will find that Allen is the new Henderson who was the Lucas.  Don't know for sure if any of those 3 in midfield will be/are world class in comparison to where we want to be but they will play a role in getting us there.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #390: Apr 01, 2013 10:55:26 pm

I agree completely. I can't see us spending an awful lot but I can see us spending well. A good thing with Rodgers is he realises the areas we need to improve on, when he signed Allen he saw that we needed a possession football passer, with Coutinho he realised we needed a versatile attacker who has an eye for a killer ball and with Sturridge we needed a versatile striker who can also play in the wide forward positions if need be and can link up well with Suarez.

Quick Reply