Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

The summer clearout thread - Who should be shown the door?

Read 10382 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: The summer clearout thread - Who should be shown the door?
      Reply #69: Apr 02, 2013 06:20:34 pm
      Skrtel
      Flanno
      Allen
      Downing
      Shelvey
      Pacheco
      Spearing
      Assaidi (If he was ever really at the club anyway like!)
      Carroll (Clearly doesn't fit BR plans)

Would be inclined to throw Robinson into the list too.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #70: Apr 02, 2013 06:22:53 pm
      Hold the back page lads, f**k me, we're trying to build a squad of players who will deliver top honours, having massive clear outs just aint going to do it, fair enough we can get shot of a few fringe players in the mould of Spearing, Pacheco, Coates, Flanno, etc, but some mention Shelvey, Johnson, Skrtle, Downing,Allen, if we shipped all them out what would we have left ?

It's called a transfer window for a reason. You get rid of the dead weight and replace it with new. No one is suggesting a downsizing of the squad, people are suggesting removing players who either aren't good enough or clearly do not fit in BR's plans to make funds available for incoming talent. So long as it's handled correctly there's no reason why such a clear out would result in a downsizing of the squad. If anything it will add strength and depth due to increased talent.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #71: Apr 02, 2013 06:25:08 pm
      Was thinking that myself debs, although I don't think it's a problem limited to ourselves.
      Seems a wider issue in Premier League clubs.

Or even worldwide mate. 

There doesn't seem to be that many truly world class defenders around, a possible result of FIFA attempting to make the game less physical, therefore natural defensive qualities being coached out of players at a young age.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #72: Apr 02, 2013 06:38:10 pm
      David F***ing Cameron.
      sh*t wrong thread.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #73: Apr 02, 2013 09:54:08 pm
      If he is happy with the splinters mate that in itself is a concern.

How? He's a goalkeeper at a club with Pepe Reina.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #74: Apr 02, 2013 09:59:29 pm
      It's called a transfer window for a reason. You get rid of the dead weight and replace it with new. No one is suggesting a downsizing of the squad, people are suggesting removing players who either aren't good enough or clearly do not fit in BR's plans to make funds available for incoming talent. So long as it's handled correctly there's no reason why such a clear out would result in a downsizing of the squad. If anything it will add strength and depth due to increased talent.

Getting rid of a mass load of players will also completely disrupt the balance of the squad.

As we have learned over the last few years, coming to a club like Liverpool can be a big pressure for players and it can take a while for them to settle in. We need to push on in our football, not be back to where we were at the start of this season!!! If we get rid of a chunk of our squad and replace them with new ones it's potentially going to take some time for the squad to start playing well together.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #75: Apr 02, 2013 10:47:39 pm
      Assadi- Has not featured, we don't know why (There could be circumstances we have not even thought of) however I doubt we are letting him go just for the hell of it as BR is the one that brought him in to begin with.

Borini- Is not going anywhere, worst case scenario he is #3 or #4 striker that BR likes and has a history with.

Downing- Has come good of late, and although I certainly hope we are going to improve the position. there is a place for him at the club next season.

Allen- Once again is going nowhere, we spoke so glowingly about him for the first 1/2 dozen matches, then he faded due to injury/Olympic fatigue and coming to club that is defiantly not Swansea. BR went out and made him his first signing and I am pretty confident he will be here until BR departs.

Carroll
      Skrtel
      Pacheco
      Coates

I totally agree with this but posters listing 8-9 outs need to get their head checked for a concussion because that is simply not going to happen, we are trying to build a squad not rip it apart. There is no 120 million kitty meaning that this needs to be a process and right now we need to move some of these players (Downing/Borini/Allen) to the bench to back up higher quality players not toss them aside simply for the sake of it.

Great on a forum to make a wish list but this is not FM2013. Reality dictates 3-4 leaving 1-2 loans and the rest will stay; I am hoping with transfers for a kitty of 50 million and 3 real quality players being brought in to the starting XI.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #76: Apr 02, 2013 11:34:00 pm
      Not really AZ.
      Not far fetched when half the figure is loan deals being made permanent.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #77: Apr 03, 2013 12:02:12 am
      How? He's a goalkeeper at a club with Pepe Reina.

He can never aspire to the qualities that make Pepe first choice in that position and rather than up his game is content to get splinters in his arse, hold his hand out and worry everyone shitless when he does get the chance to make an appearence.
      exdit:-
      Had a few brandy's and the light dawned how could he be anything but second best but even so the lad doesn't seem to have a go.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2013 12:30:22 am by stuey »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #78: Apr 03, 2013 12:36:19 am
      Not really AZ.
      Not far fetched when half the figure is loan deals being made permanent.

Guess what i meant by it Racer is I have a hard time believing that Allen, and Borini, are going to be let go or even should be let go. I can see Downing going if the money was there (I don't think it will be) and Assadi is a complete mystery to all of us.

Some of these posts make it look as the transfer window is something out of FIFA 13 or something.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #79: Apr 03, 2013 02:25:25 am
      He can never aspire to the qualities that make Pepe first choice in that position and rather than up his game is content to get splinters in his arse, hold his hand out and worry everyone shitless when he does get the chance to make an appearence.
      exdit:-
      Had a few brandy's and the light dawned how could he be anything but second best but even so the lad doesn't seem to have a go.

In that regard I agree with you Stuey. Good to have some better competition for Pepe and push him further.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #80: Apr 03, 2013 11:34:27 am
      Carrol- 15mil
      Assaidi- 4mil
      Coates- 4mil
      Skrtel- 8/12mil
      Spearing- 2mil
      Suso/Shelvey/Ngoo- Loan to PL Sides

Minimum 30mil + whatever FSG give us hopefully around 30mil that give us 60mil transfer budget which would be amazing could get 3/4 world class players.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #81: Apr 03, 2013 11:58:38 am
      Allen,Borini,Carroll,Assisdi,Pacheco,Downing.

With money being spent correct as shown with Couthinioh & Sturridge we should generate enough to build on our currnt team.

Hate to see Spearing go as i like the fight in him for the shirt.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3472 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #82: Apr 03, 2013 12:21:05 pm
      Massive clear outs here. Ever heard of depth in squad? That was a major problem.

Getting rid of the likes of genuinely good players like Henderson and Downing is insane.

I had a massive clearout last night, feel much better now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3472 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #83: Apr 03, 2013 12:22:03 pm

With money being spent correct as shown with Couthinioh & Sturridge we should generate enough to build on our currnt team.

Again, Pacheco and Assaidi will go but there's no chance of the others going, a bit of realism please.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #84: Apr 03, 2013 12:28:36 pm

Got to agree about Jay, if there were more of his spirit in the team this thread would never have seen the light of day.
      Apparently the manager doesn't see him in his plans unfortunately, who are we to argue?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #85: Apr 03, 2013 12:40:29 pm
      I personally think that it's too early for these sorts of thread, the seasons still got 8 games left.

Also, I believe that we should be more concerned on who we are trying to bring in rather than who we are trying to get rid of.

That said, if I were manager these players would go:

- Carragher
      - Shelvey
      - Pacheco
      - Flanagan
      - Wilson
      - Reina
      - Lucas
      - Spearing

I'd keep Carroll as he offers us another attacking dimension, however rumours of his laziness and poor attitude do worry me, so if a good enough offer (15m+) came in then I would probably accept.
      Downing I'd keep as I feel he offers us far more than what we'd receive for him, especially against lower ranked sides.
      Borini and Allen would both have another year of development.

____
      I think however BR will keep Reina, Shelvey and possibly Flanagan, whilst selling Carroll and Downing.
      Travelling Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #86: Apr 03, 2013 12:42:18 pm
      I have to give credit to Henderson. He's taken all the undeserved criticism and negativity that's been hurled at him, shut his mouth, and shown a little bit of class and excellent attitude and answered by knuckling down to hard graft on the training ground to improve his skills and show what he can do as soon as he got another chance in the team. He's improving all the time and has won respect from manager and team mates alike. He plays his guts out in every match, and I personally would like to see one or two more of his kind at LFC, not move him on!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #87: Apr 03, 2013 12:45:51 pm
      I personally think that it's too early for these sorts of thread, the seasons still got 8 games left.

Also, I believe that we should be more concerned on who we are trying to bring in rather than who we are trying to get rid of.

- Carragher
      - Shelvey
      - Pacheco
      - Flanagan
      - Wilson
      - Reina
      - Lucas
      - Spearing

I'd keep Carroll as he offers us another attacking dimension, however rumours of his laziness and poor attitude do worry me, so if a good enough offer (15m+) came in then I would probably accept.
      Downing I'd keep as I feel he offers us far more than what we'd receive for him, especially against lower ranked sides.

____
      I think however BR will keep Reina, Shelvey and possibly Flanagan, whilst selling Carroll and Downing.

Some caution wouldn't be a bad idea, giving players the bullet en masse is never an easy option, do we have the squad strength to cope with their departure?
      Do we have the finance in place to adequately replace those mentioned and bolster the existing team?
      Since the answer to these two enquiries is unquestionably in the negative the summer clearout for me is a none starter.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #88: Apr 03, 2013 12:59:57 pm
      I'm not going to actively campaign that any players should be sold. If I've done it in the past I shouldn't have and apologize, I don't think it's healthy to be rooting for players to be shown the door.

That being said, I can provide a list of players who I think may be leaving based on their performance and Brendan's team selections:

Carroll
      Spearing
      Skrtel
      Coates

Honestly think Brendan likes Downing  now and Henderson has obviously solidified his spot so I don't see many other departures.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #89: Apr 03, 2013 01:01:26 pm

- Carragher
      - Shelvey
      - Pacheco
      - Flanagan
      - Wilson
      - Reina
      - Lucas
      - Spearing

____

Excuse my directness but are you out of your everloving mind?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #90: Apr 03, 2013 01:10:53 pm
      Excuse my directness but are you out of your everloving mind?
      Don't know what this word means (even tried Urban dictionary!).

However, I would sell him because I don't see what he offers us. He plays in the most important part of the field but provides nowhere near enough protection for the defence. He's not strong enough or quick enough to play as a midfield destroyer. So then I think, what other role in CM can he play?
      He doesn't have the technical ability, passing range or vision needed to be a "Alonsoesque" midfielder. His skill sets are not suited for this role either.
      He also doesn't have the power, strength or skill to play as a box-to-box midfielder.

Basically what I'm trying to express is that he doesn't have a proper position. He might play in the centre of midfield, but he doesn't have a defined role in the midfield because he's not good enough in any facet of the game. He's just a solid player, but doesn't excel in any role, much alike to the much maligned Joe Allen and I'd personally re-shape the team by replacing lucas with a genuine DM.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #91: Apr 03, 2013 01:25:12 pm
      He doesn't have the technical ability, passing range or vision needed to be a "Alonsoesque" midfielder. His skill sets are not suited for this role either.
      He also doesn't have the power, strength or skill to play as a box-to-box midfielder.

Basically what I'm trying to express is that he doesn't have a proper position. He might play in the centre of midfield, but he doesn't have a defined role in the midfield because he's not good enough in any facet of the game. He's just a solid player, but doesn't excel in any role, much alike to the much maligned Joe Allen and I'd personally re-shape the team by replacing lucas with a genuine DM.

Lucas will never be Alonsoesque, I'd decscribe him as more Hamannesque actually! So where would you have played him and defined his role as.

It's quite simple what he does, he wins the ball back from the opposition and then tries to find a red shirt, quite simple and basic which really what football is!

Quick Reply