Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 0-0 West Ham United: In-game & post-match irascibility

Read 31334 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 West Ham United: In-game & post-match irascibility
      Reply #460: Apr 07, 2013 09:29:38 pm
      Wasn't my idea but made perfect sense when I spoke to a fellow LFC fan today. With Suarez getting owned by Collins and Sturridge on the pitch why didn't Brendan shift Sturridge central and move Luis out wide to change his man marker or at least move him out of position.

canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #461: Apr 07, 2013 09:44:47 pm
      Time to clear out players who are inconsistant this keeps from being a top four club. If we dont saurez will leave then we will be regulation material, Diame is a beast hope he can come to the reds in the future.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #462: Apr 07, 2013 09:44:52 pm
      Wasn't my idea but made perfect sense when I spoke to a fellow LFC fan today. With Suarez getting owned by Collins and Sturridge on the pitch why didn't Brendan shift Sturridge central and move Luis out wide to change his man marker or at least move him out of position.

Actually Luis went to play right side for a while, and actually improved. Then he was shifted again to the left where he was controlled again by Collins. I think that aside a nutmeg, he didnt loose a single one-on-one against Luis
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #463: Apr 07, 2013 09:46:55 pm
      Jaaskelainen had a blinder today.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #464: Apr 07, 2013 09:52:07 pm
      Humungous disappointment today.

That was a really poor West Ham side.   We just looked totally lethargic.

We are in the correct league position for our abilities.  Are we better than a year ago? I defy anyone to say yes.

It was so obvious to everyone today that we needed to use the wings yet we continued to try and walk it through the centre.  Really poor and definitely the end of any minor hopes of even qualifying for the Europa League.

Depressing.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #465: Apr 07, 2013 09:54:00 pm
      Time to clear out players who are inconsistant this keeps from being a top four club. If we dont saurez will leave then we will be regulation material, Diame is a beast hope he can come to the reds in the future.

All these talks about fear of Suarez leaving is premature. He has a contract with the club. He won't leave cheap and he can be made to see-out his contract.

Right now? He is worth at least £75 million.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #466: Apr 07, 2013 09:55:18 pm
      I hate to think what we would be like if we lost Suarez

We'd be passing more, for a start.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #467: Apr 07, 2013 10:08:37 pm
      If we fail to win you can guarantee the match thread (both during and after) is complete and total dross and today is no different.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #468: Apr 07, 2013 10:12:31 pm
      F***ing Gutted.

Think just before the match the commentator said West ham come today to Anfield having conceded a goal in each of their last 21 matches. Surprise, F***ing surprise, they park the bus, they defend like they never have before and we can't break them down.  Bet ya they don't play like that against United.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Liverpool's new slogan should be Liverpool: Doing our best to make sure Relegation threatened teams Survive.

Sorry, I'm hurting.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #469: Apr 07, 2013 10:33:07 pm
      Had a while to reflect, still pissed at the performance. However, West Ham did what every team like that do at Anfield and parked the bus. I swear to God it works more effectively against us than other 'top teams' because we allow it too. Mentally, I think we're very weak and if we don't get that break-through in the first 20 minutes, you can see the opposition growing in belief and us shirking it.

Having said that, Sturridge wasn't offside for his goal and Stevie had a blatant pen not given. The officials had a sh*te game, as if they wanted to appear to be 'strong', which translated as not giving any F***ing decision to the home-side, no matter how blatant. Little but more luck and we would have won today.

What we do need is a poacher, someone like Hernandez for the mancs, who will just be in the right place at the right time. When Luis shot across the box, someone should of been following in and sticking that away. Can't see us signing the players we need in the summer though to be honest, but I live in hope.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #470: Apr 07, 2013 10:35:30 pm
      I was only able to watch the first half today...and I'm sure it was discussed but the first 30 minutes we squandered some good chances with some really piss poor passing. Downing and Henderson were passing the ball directly back to West Ham.  Lucas just gave the ball up in our own box and if it wasnt for Agger just throwing himself in front of the shot  it would of been a goal...  They just looked sloppy in the first half.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #471: Apr 07, 2013 10:57:25 pm
      Only Agger and Enrique stood out for me today; worst match of the year for Suarez and Sturridge appeared lazy and uninterested to my eyes.

Disappointed we should bury teams like West Ham, who played a Stoke like match.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #472: Apr 07, 2013 10:58:08 pm
      Diame wasnt even hammers best player on the pitch, collins was. Their defence had a great game today.
      Diame, Collins and Jaaskelainen had fantastic games. Diame looks like someone we really, really could use.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #473: Apr 07, 2013 11:14:22 pm
      That's the result that we can come to expect when overpassing the ball and having wingers not knowing what to do with the ball at the edge of the box. I still believe we have the right attacking players in Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho, however, we need a world class attacking coach to make them play like a team and tell them what to do inside the box and how to position themselves and not strolling when one of our players attacking the opposition defence.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #474: Apr 07, 2013 11:21:34 pm
      Jaaskelainen made two or three comfortable saves today. how does that translate to 'a fantastic game', truth is we were piss poor in the last third. We attacked far to slowly for the majority, sent nearly everything down the middle, when we did get width, we gave the ball away or crossed poorly, or shot when a pass was on or vice versa. Just a poor performance all round from 7 of the 11 we had on the pitch. We never looked like scoring until SG pushed up, and then he seemed to be the only one with any idea, but almost all he set going broke down with a poor pass, poor control or poor decision on wether to shoot or pass. we just didn't seem to have two players collectively on the same wave length. When the ball was wide, we had at best one player  busting a gut to get into the box against 6 or 7 defenders.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #475: Apr 07, 2013 11:26:33 pm
      Saw West Ham's line up and knew they were going to park the bus and it was going to be tough to break them down.

We had enough there to win the game, take all 3 points and save ourselves from the bollocks were reading now on this forum. Clear as day penalty shout on Gerrard too don't know how that was not given!

Some laziness and general poor play from the like of Sturridge and all the flicks and tricks from Luis, Glenn and Coutinho really pissed me off too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #476: Apr 07, 2013 11:29:11 pm
      We are in the correct league position for our abilities.  Are we better than a year ago? I defy anyone to say yes.

The second part I agree with but the first I don't as I still think we are a better team than this season has shown.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #477: Apr 07, 2013 11:31:47 pm
      Jaaskelainen made two or three comfortable saves today. how does that translate to 'a fantastic game', truth is we were piss poor in the last third. We attacked far to slowly for the majority, sent nearly everything down the middle, when we did get width, we gave the ball away or crossed poorly, or shot when a pass was on or vice versa. Just a poor performance all round from 7 of the 11 we had on the pitch. We never looked like scoring until SG pushed up, and then he seemed to be the only one with any idea, but almost all he set going broke down with a poor pass, poor control or poor decision on wether to shoot or pass. we just didn't seem to have two players collectively on the same wave length. When the ball was wide, we had at best one player  busting a gut to get into the box against 6 or 7 defenders.

Well said. Something is very wrong with our coaching or atttacking tactics. Again who am I to say that. I hate to say this, look at manure, as soon as the cross comes in they have a player attacking down the middle of the box (in front of the goalkeeper), left post and right post. The ball will most probably end up at any one of the zones and the entire box would have been covered, plus a player coming just from outside the box to shoot or receive a pass from the left or right post.

When we see 3 or 4 of our players in the front line facing the direction of our goal when our midfield is having the ball suggests, at least to me, that there is no proper drill as to how to attack in the most effective manner or practice to break down defence.

Come to think of it, are we having too many average players that can do the simple 6 yards passes. Coutinho simply stands out for me. A soon as he gets the ball, I can at least expect him to create something effective.
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2013 11:45:36 pm by redkop63 »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #478: Apr 08, 2013 12:47:01 am
      The second part I agree with but the first I don't as I still think we are a better team than this season has shown.
      History is full of teams thatt deserved better... We are far too inconsisntent, and never could accomodate a good winning string of games. That sounds like a mid table team to me, and thats our League position.

In terms of "footballing quality": are we more enjoyable to watch this year than last? Its debatable, but id say yes.
      In terms of results? I think we will end this season more or less like last year, or maybe a little higher in 7th. We did win a trophy last year and qualified to EL, something improbable (not impossible) this year

Our attack improved notably, and our defence crumbled. Overall we are just about the same in terms of results, its just that we are more enjoyable to watch. We traded our strong points from one end of the pitch to the other, with the result of the ecuation remaining the same, with the exeption that we play a more "likeable" and "politically correct" brand of football

We needed a number 10: we got it, and he looks a bargain.
      We still need a kickass defensive midfielder, in the Masch mould.

But most of all we need TIME.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #479: Apr 08, 2013 12:52:35 am

He made some very tricky saves, and his positioning was superb. Having a fantastic game for a keeper is more than making a world class save. Its about consistency, and security. He was both today, and in my opinion (and we may agree to disagree) he was great today.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #480: Apr 08, 2013 07:34:18 am
      F***ing Gutted.

Think just before the match the commentator said West ham come today to Anfield having conceded a goal in each of their last 21 matches. Surprise, f**king surprise, they park the bus, they defend like they never have before and we can't break them down.  Bet ya they don't play like that against United.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Liverpool's new slogan should be Liverpool: Doing our best to make sure Relegation threatened teams Survive.

Sorry, I'm hurting.

No it isn't , we are giving points to most of the relegation threatened teams. It nullify the effect ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #481: Apr 08, 2013 08:40:41 am
       Once again normal service is resumed,we play like world beaters one week and we play sh*te the next week.Others might not agree but if all the players had put the same effort in as Enrique then I feel things might of turned out so different.We did plenty of passing but sadly no one was on the same wavelength.Without a doubt if our boss wants to make a success of his job then the first thing he has to do is instill some consistency into the squad.We could/should of been right up the top of the league this season but for inconsistent results.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #482: Apr 08, 2013 08:42:12 am
      Once again normal service is resumed,we play like world beaters one week and we play sh*te the next week.Others might not agree but if all the players had put the same effort in as Enrique then I feel things might of turned out so different.We did plenty of passing but sadly no one was on the same wavelength.Without a doubt if our boss wants to make a success of his job then the first thing he has to do is instill some consistency into the squad.We could/should of been right up the top of the league this season but for inconsistent results.

Yes Billy.

Today just confermed we are an average mid table team, and for LFC that is just not good enough

Today also confirmed that if it hadnt been for a late goal our neighbours across the park would have been two points off a CL place.
      Five in front of us with a game in hand.

The manager is ordinary and therefore our team is ordinary. We have Rogers for two more years all on the basis of his 180 page dossier he presented at his interview.
      FSG will ensure that they are building the revenue streams cos they dont have and never will have our DNA for this club.
      As long as we dont get relegated thats OK then.

The Red Sox had one of their worst ever seasons.

I thought Werner said we could go for any player we wanted ....... except perhaps we could save 6 mill on Sturridge and let Luis do the work for 5 months to save a dollar.

Prepare for mediocrity people.   

We are now stuck in the Nearly Zone.   

We have been there now for a couple of years and as much as we want to have blind faith we may as well get real ......that is where we are staying.

New manager Summer 2015.
       Proven ... with a real % win rate not a dossier full of bullshit and envelope riddles.
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2013 08:53:12 am by eurored »

Quick Reply