Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mou is a good guy

Read 9105 times
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Mou is a good guy
      Apr 12, 2013 03:51:47 pm
      How Jose Mourinho gave a Mexican cleaner the most special ride of his life
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/9988996/How-Jose-Mourinho-gave-a-Mexican-cleaner-the-most-special-ride-of-his-life.html

Sports Illustrated told the story of Abel RodrĂ­guez, a 41-year-old Mexican-American from California, and an obsessive Real fan, who took two weeks' unpaid holiday for the last seven years to volunteer at the team's annual summer trip to Los Angeles.
      He chased balls and laid out cones for Mourinho and his team of coaches when they visited the Californian city for pre-season friendlies. He woke up at 5am every morning and drove to the UCLA training site, only returning home at 11pm for a few hours' sleep each night.
      RodrĂ­guez's annual interaction with Mourinho and Los Blancos strengthened his passion for the club and this year he took the decision to withdraw his life savings to fund a trip to Madrid, in a desperate attempt to attend El ClĂĄsico before Mourinho left the club.
      This meant he could not afford a family holiday, but on the insistence of his wife and daughter ("You should go. It's always been your dream") he made the lengthy journey to the Spanish capital.
      RodrĂ­guez arrived at the club's Valdebebas training complex with no accommodation booked, no ticket for the Mar 3 match against Barcelona, and, crucially, no contact details for Mourinho.

The security staff at the training ground refused to let him in and he was forced to sit on the side of the road, in snowy conditions, in a desperate attempt to flag down Mourinho. He waited for five fruitless hours, with only a coat to protect him from the elements, until his luck changed.
      As Mourinho was leaving his assistant Rui Faria's car he spotted RodrĂ­guez and stopped in his tracks. Mourinho bounded over to RodrĂ­guez and asked to know what the "guy from Los Angeles" was doing nearly 6,000 miles from home.
      After explaining his quixotic trip to Mourinho, everything changed for RodrĂ­guez. The Special One instantly called for an assistant and arranged for RodrĂ­guez to have his own room at the hotel where Real were staying for the Barcelona match. He ordered RodrĂ­guez to rest up and rejoin them at the training site the next morning.
      The night before the match the two men met up 90 minutes before sharing dinner with the rest of Mourinho's staff. As they spoke about Rodríguez's plans – he intended to return to LA after El Clásico – Mourinho insisted that he join the club for their trip to Manchester for the round of 16 clash at Old Trafford.
      "I told him, 'No way, you come to Manchester with us and work as a kit man,'" Mourinho told Sports Illustrated. "'You help us and you live a bigger dream, a Champions League match from the inside!'"
      RodrĂ­guez lit up and said he would love to join them, insisting he would pay his own way. But Mourinho shook his head, smiled, and said: "When you're with me in Europe, you don't pay for s---."
      This incredible gesture was too much for RodrĂ­guez and he was overcome with tears of joy. The football gods had repaid him for seven summers of voluntary work and he was about to join the entourage of one of the game's finest managers for a match (in Mourinho's words) "the world is waiting for".
      Rodríguez attended El Clásico – Real won 2-1 – watching from a good seat and visiting the home side's dressing room afterwards for photographs with Cristiano Ronaldo, Maradona and the Argentine legend's girlfriend.
      Lifelong ambition fulfilled, it was now time to get down to business. RodrĂ­guez was kitted out in Real's full team gear and given official status as a bag-handler, coaching assistant and good-luck charm (Mourinho and the players were rubbing his stomach for positive vibes).
      RodrĂ­guez's friends in Los Angeles could see him on their televisions as he walked off the field next to United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and he was even immortalised on YouTube, standing next to Ronaldo in a pre-game clip of the tunnel.

A few seconds before that clip was filmed, Javier Hernandez, RodrĂ­guez's compatriot, approached the cleaner to tell him he would be giving him his match jersey at the final whistle. How did he know about Real's good-luck charm? Unbeknown to RodrĂ­guez, Mourinho had approached Hernandez and asked him to do the favour.
      "These people treated me like I was part of the team," RodrĂ­guez said. "This is something I'll tell my grandkids."
      Ferguson would not speak to the British press that night – he was in a state of distress after seeing Nani's red card end United's hopes of advancing. But he spoke to Rodríguez, urging him to grab Mourinho for a post-match glass of wine. Rodríguez said: "He came out of the dressing room with a cup of wine in his hand, and he told me, 'Tell José that the wine is ready, and tell him to hurry up.'"
      RodrĂ­guez's wondrous night continued with him acting as go-between for Robin van Persie and Marcelo when they swapped shirts, and collecting as many keep-safes and mementos as he could.
      Hernandez, too, followed up on his promise, handing RodrĂ­guez his match shirt with a unique, personalised message. The two spoke, with Hernandez listening in wide-eyed wonder at the Mexican-American's amazing story.
      "The first thing he said to me was, 'How long have you been working for Real Madrid?'" RodrĂ­guez said to Sports Illustrated. "I said, 'The truth is I don't work for them.' I explained to him what happened, and he looked shocked at the beginning. But he said, 'You know what? That's amazing.'"
      All the memorabilia he could get his hands on was worth nothing compared to the memories, insisted RodrĂ­guez, and a knowing wink for a job well down from Mourinho on the flight back was a particular highlight.
      RodrĂ­guez finished his duties as the equipment man by unloading the bags off the plane at Madrid. But his conscientious dedication to his work meant he never had the chance to thank Mourinho, and still doesn't have any contact details.
      He shared his story with Sports Illustrated to say thank you for a very special night.

EDIT - sorry mods thought I was in the Gen Football forum - any chance of moving?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Mou is a good guy
      Reply #1: Apr 12, 2013 04:03:04 pm
      I think I'm one of the few here that actually like Mourinho. His arrogance is quite funny, and he only takes a pop at other teams because he's so close to the team he's with at the time.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #2: Apr 12, 2013 04:41:15 pm
      He's like the Suarez of management ;D ... Wonderfully gifted and easy to misunderstand...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Apr 12, 2013 05:45:04 pm
      Jose Mourinho ‏@Special1TV 3m
      Look, can we knock this nice Jose stuff on the head : #TheMexican

Jose Mourinho ‏@Special1TV 31s
      All I did was give the Mexican my hotel room. And a job, okay I gave him a job. And blew his mind - okay I'll grant you that : #NoUnoNil

Jose Mourinho ‏@Special1TV 37s
      But MrAlex would have done the same thing, right? #TheMexican

:D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Apr 15, 2013 05:07:22 am
      I don't mind him. Can be a kiss arse, can be a knob, but he's hilarious and very witty.

Amazing story. Fairy tale like.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: Apr 15, 2013 09:16:01 am
      I'd rather have Josie interviews than allardyce and some of the other dross spouting sh*te.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2013 10:35:22 am
      I'd rather have Josie interviews than allardyce and some of the other dross spouting sh*te.
      Only when he speaks to the english press though, I suggest you follow his spanish interviews, a true classless tw*t.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2013 07:33:19 am
      Jose Mourinho to LFC?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2013 08:16:49 am
       Best manager there is, period.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2013 08:27:00 am
      "Period" Mick? You gone all Yankified on us? Full stop.  >:D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2013 02:32:31 pm
      "Period" Mick? You gone all Yankified on us? Full stop.  >:D

Mick's no doubt had to dart off to the toilet and has mistaken the wildies for some other pain in the arse.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Apr 18, 2013 10:06:53 pm

I reckon fans of a certain suave former Spanish midfielder would disagree!

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Apr 24, 2013 02:32:19 am
      If you have 1 Billion dollars worth of talent and you use most of them to defend and the rest to practice getting to the goals in 3 passes.
      Bolton.

AS for the story. Mourinho needs serious PR to lift his image, to make him more marketable to teams who can afford his 'game plan' but don't want the internal crap, so he lays on a PR stunt. This can also be used by him as a way of motivating the players.. 'look at this guy he is the real deal giving everything to be here blah blah blah....'. Fairytale is doing it for nothing and trying to creates something better for everyone not yourself.

By the way MIck the way you put your messages in basically they seem at odds to run down Rafa ( but you give him fair dues mind ...) and you take the opportunity to big up Mourinho. Are you really a 1 team man.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Apr 24, 2013 04:58:44 pm
      If you have 1 Billion dollars worth of talent and you use most of them to defend and the rest to practice getting to the goals in 3 passes.
      Bolton.

AS for the story. Mourinho needs serious PR to lift his image, to make him more marketable to teams who can afford his 'game plan' but don't want the internal crap, so he lays on a PR stunt. This can also be used by him as a way of motivating the players.. 'look at this guy he is the real deal giving everything to be here blah blah blah....'. Fairytale is doing it for nothing and trying to creates something better for everyone not yourself.

By the way MIck the way you put your messages in basically they seem at odds to run down Rafa ( but you give him fair dues mind ...) and you take the opportunity to big up Mourinho. Are you really a 1 team man.

'Sceptical' wouldn't properly describe you, would it?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Apr 24, 2013 10:04:45 pm
      'Sceptical' wouldn't properly describe you, would it?
      Doesn't mean I'm wrong
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2013 01:23:36 am

Doesn't mean you're right, either ;)
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16: May 07, 2013 08:10:29 pm
      Some of you who I have on Twitter may have seen me already tweet about this but I found this a fantastic read that everyone, especially those interested in Mourinho, should read.

Head Women’s Soccer Coach at Wingate University North Carolina, Gary Curneen, shares his what he learnt from the master tactician. Real Madrid conducted sessions for the National Soccer Coaches Association of America in August 2012. Follow Gary on Twitter @garycurneen

I have been a fan of Jose Mourinho for many years. When the opportunity came to watch him work first hand with Real Madrid in Los Angeles, I signed up for the NSCAA Course right away. I have observed numerous training sessions at professional clubs with top coaches before, but this was different. I expected to get an insight to how he worked on the practice field and hear his football philosophy – what I got however, was much, much more. An insight to life at the top end of world football, a chance to see what level of organization it takes to be successful, and what techniques are used to get the best out of the best. To summarize the course in one blog would do it an injustice. Therefore, I will do three blogs that will cover his training sessions, the work of his staff, including right-hand man, Rui Faria, and this current blog, his presentation on his leadership and philosophies.

I just arrived on campus at UCLA to register for the NSCAA event on Sunday afternoon when Jose Mourinho and his assistant coaches were on the way to the training pitch for the afternoon session. Initially, I thought this trip would be both a public relations and commercial exercise for the Spanish giants, so expected Mourinho to be all smiles and signing autographs. He did sign a few but I did not witness a smile. A familiar face at the entrance to the field greeted him warmly and welcomed him back to UCLA. ”Welcome back Jose, look forward to catching up after your session”, the official said with excitement. “How is the pitch?” was Mourinho’s quick response. That was my first sign of why he is so successful. All business. When the boots were on and the clipboard was by his side, he had time for only work. Professional, polite, but here to do a job with his team.

The hugely anticipated presentation for the NSCAA group, took place in between two training sessions. Mourinho brought his staff along (six in total) who would take turns in discussing their role in the Real Madrid empire. Mourinho himself would discuss his beliefs and leadership. As he introduced his staff, Mourinho pointed out that they were all wearing fluorescent yellow Adidas shirts “like traffic wardens”. He explained that the reason for this was for the players to know the difference between coaches and players, both on and off the field. Coaches have to stand out at all time so players must not pass them the ball by mistake. Very simple, he stated, “but it works very well for us.” Mourinho’s first slide was titled, “The Secret of Our Success.” The bullet points were:

- Leadership

- Group/ Team

- Connections

- Relationships

He told us that these were not in order of importance, and instead felt that relationships were vital because “when things go bad, relationships keep control and balance in the team.” Mourinho then discussed the types of leadership that are consistent with his approach.

Charismatic Leadership

This is something which he has become famous for. I would define it as the “Special One” image that has become synonymous with his managerial style. He started by explaining that this brings a lot of negatives by the media because of the focus on image and the fact that it opens the door to criticism. However, it is clear that he believes strongly in this form of leadership because of the effect it has on his players. The two areas he discussed were “non-traditional behaviors” and “sensibility for players needs”. Despite having not been a top player himself, experience has taught him to recognize what these needs are. As for “non-traditional behaviors”, he claims to “work on it and gamble with it”. The first thought that entered my head was the 100 yard dash down the sideline at Old Trafford when his Porto team scored to knock Manchester United out of the Champions League. A “gamble” that helped shape his career. His touchline behavior, which is sometimes controversial, is always planned. “I feel sometimes that I’m playing the game. And sometimes the players demand that of me.”

Transformational Leadership

Here Mourinho stressed “Intellectual Intelligence”. He explained to us that he wants his players thinking all the time, even if it means wondering what kind of response they will get from the coach. “Every player is a player, every man is a man”, Mourinho explained. He will treat them fairly, but not maybe not equally.  Different actions will trigger different responses.

Mourinho then began to discuss what is the most difficult side of leadership. He believes the goals of his group of players can sometimes be different from that of the club. He told us that he struggles to go from the effects on the group (team) to the club philosophy. He wants to control the group but has no interest in controlling the club itself. Common objectives and principles may not be consistent with club philosophy. Here, I believe Mourinho would have to fight a lot of his battles within the club structure. Perhaps commerical  or financial interests of the club, may conflict with how he would like to work. As he showed a photo of the victorious Real Madrid, he explained that “the end should always be just the start of it”. This will be a huge message to send to his current group of players as this is only the third club he will have spent over two years with.

Emotional Intelligence

For me, this was the most interesting topic that Mourinho covered because it gave us an insight into two managerial skills that separate him from the rest: how he motivates and deals with pressure. “Books help but you have to be in the active life to understand.” He defined Emotional Intelligence as:

- Coping with Pressue

- Sharing Emotions

- Create Forever Links

Mourinho copes with pressure by training himself and his people. Again, he is always consciously aware of messages he is sending by his actions and body language. How he gets players and teams to stick together and work hard, Mourinho said, “I motivate others with my own motivation. Your motivation must be the engine so the players must then go with you.” This led him to explain how he always tries to create a family atmosphere where he works, to the extent that he uses his own family as a framework.

“I have no problems to kiss, cry with, or kick my players. Everything belongs to the family. I learn this from my wife and my own family. In my family, we are open to be criticized by my kids and the same applies to my players. You must be open in order to share emotions and ideas.”

Mourinho then asked his staff how long they have been working together. When one informed him that it has been since 2001, Mourinho then explained that he and his staff have worked with many players over the past 12 years, but when they move on to another club, they never view the player as an ex-player. Instead, once you play for Mourinho and his staff, you are always one of ‘theirs’. “Forever is forever”, he told us. This is a unique bond that is not evident in professional football. Again, by creating this bond with the players, he can get top performances for a long period of time.

Integrated Leadership

He touched briefly on this and defined it as every aspect of training. The “complexity of operation” means that if one aspect of their work is not where they need it to be, it can have effect other areas. Therefore, Mourinho’s attention to detail is not limited to tactics or training techniques, but instead to every aspect of the club that can effect his players.

As Mourinho handed the microphone over to his coaching staff, his presentation was never quite done. He sat on the edge of his chair and constantly added or politely interrupted his assistant coaches as they explained their role in the club. He believes in the complexity of each relationship at the football club and so must manage it accordingly. He looks at his players as people, who need to be managed, motivated, and given special attention to. He also understands the importance of his own behavior. Although he admits having to “gamble” with his actions, he is always in control of them and that is key. Top players must love it, and most importantly, they respond to it. I would suggest that the ‘special one’ tag would be used just as much by these players, as the fans and media.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/jose-mourinho-tactical-thinking-part-1/
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: May 09, 2013 01:08:33 am
      Some of you who I have on Twitter may have seen me already tweet about this but I found this a fantastic read that everyone, especially those interested in Mourinho, should read.

Head Women’s Soccer Coach at Wingate University North Carolina, Gary Curneen, shares his what he learnt from the master tactician. Real Madrid conducted sessions for the National Soccer Coaches Association of America in August 2012. Follow Gary on Twitter @garycurneen

I have been a fan of Jose Mourinho for many years. When the opportunity came to watch him work first hand with Real Madrid in Los Angeles, I signed up for the NSCAA Course right away. I have observed numerous training sessions at professional clubs with top coaches before, but this was different. I expected to get an insight to how he worked on the practice field and hear his football philosophy – what I got however, was much, much more. An insight to life at the top end of world football, a chance to see what level of organization it takes to be successful, and what techniques are used to get the best out of the best. To summarize the course in one blog would do it an injustice. Therefore, I will do three blogs that will cover his training sessions, the work of his staff, including right-hand man, Rui Faria, and this current blog, his presentation on his leadership and philosophies.

I just arrived on campus at UCLA to register for the NSCAA event on Sunday afternoon when Jose Mourinho and his assistant coaches were on the way to the training pitch for the afternoon session. Initially, I thought this trip would be both a public relations and commercial exercise for the Spanish giants, so expected Mourinho to be all smiles and signing autographs. He did sign a few but I did not witness a smile. A familiar face at the entrance to the field greeted him warmly and welcomed him back to UCLA. ”Welcome back Jose, look forward to catching up after your session”, the official said with excitement. “How is the pitch?” was Mourinho’s quick response. That was my first sign of why he is so successful. All business. When the boots were on and the clipboard was by his side, he had time for only work. Professional, polite, but here to do a job with his team.

The hugely anticipated presentation for the NSCAA group, took place in between two training sessions. Mourinho brought his staff along (six in total) who would take turns in discussing their role in the Real Madrid empire. Mourinho himself would discuss his beliefs and leadership. As he introduced his staff, Mourinho pointed out that they were all wearing fluorescent yellow Adidas shirts “like traffic wardens”. He explained that the reason for this was for the players to know the difference between coaches and players, both on and off the field. Coaches have to stand out at all time so players must not pass them the ball by mistake. Very simple, he stated, “but it works very well for us.” Mourinho’s first slide was titled, “The Secret of Our Success.” The bullet points were:

- Leadership

- Group/ Team

- Connections

- Relationships

He told us that these were not in order of importance, and instead felt that relationships were vital because “when things go bad, relationships keep control and balance in the team.” Mourinho then discussed the types of leadership that are consistent with his approach.

Charismatic Leadership

This is something which he has become famous for. I would define it as the “Special One” image that has become synonymous with his managerial style. He started by explaining that this brings a lot of negatives by the media because of the focus on image and the fact that it opens the door to criticism. However, it is clear that he believes strongly in this form of leadership because of the effect it has on his players. The two areas he discussed were “non-traditional behaviors” and “sensibility for players needs”. Despite having not been a top player himself, experience has taught him to recognize what these needs are. As for “non-traditional behaviors”, he claims to “work on it and gamble with it”. The first thought that entered my head was the 100 yard dash down the sideline at Old Trafford when his Porto team scored to knock Manchester United out of the Champions League. A “gamble” that helped shape his career. His touchline behavior, which is sometimes controversial, is always planned. “I feel sometimes that I’m playing the game. And sometimes the players demand that of me.”

Transformational Leadership

Here Mourinho stressed “Intellectual Intelligence”. He explained to us that he wants his players thinking all the time, even if it means wondering what kind of response they will get from the coach. “Every player is a player, every man is a man”, Mourinho explained. He will treat them fairly, but not maybe not equally.  Different actions will trigger different responses.

Mourinho then began to discuss what is the most difficult side of leadership. He believes the goals of his group of players can sometimes be different from that of the club. He told us that he struggles to go from the effects on the group (team) to the club philosophy. He wants to control the group but has no interest in controlling the club itself. Common objectives and principles may not be consistent with club philosophy. Here, I believe Mourinho would have to fight a lot of his battles within the club structure. Perhaps commerical  or financial interests of the club, may conflict with how he would like to work. As he showed a photo of the victorious Real Madrid, he explained that “the end should always be just the start of it”. This will be a huge message to send to his current group of players as this is only the third club he will have spent over two years with.

Emotional Intelligence

For me, this was the most interesting topic that Mourinho covered because it gave us an insight into two managerial skills that separate him from the rest: how he motivates and deals with pressure. “Books help but you have to be in the active life to understand.” He defined Emotional Intelligence as:

- Coping with Pressue

- Sharing Emotions

- Create Forever Links

Mourinho copes with pressure by training himself and his people. Again, he is always consciously aware of messages he is sending by his actions and body language. How he gets players and teams to stick together and work hard, Mourinho said, “I motivate others with my own motivation. Your motivation must be the engine so the players must then go with you.” This led him to explain how he always tries to create a family atmosphere where he works, to the extent that he uses his own family as a framework.

“I have no problems to kiss, cry with, or kick my players. Everything belongs to the family. I learn this from my wife and my own family. In my family, we are open to be criticized by my kids and the same applies to my players. You must be open in order to share emotions and ideas.”

Mourinho then asked his staff how long they have been working together. When one informed him that it has been since 2001, Mourinho then explained that he and his staff have worked with many players over the past 12 years, but when they move on to another club, they never view the player as an ex-player. Instead, once you play for Mourinho and his staff, you are always one of ‘theirs’. “Forever is forever”, he told us. This is a unique bond that is not evident in professional football. Again, by creating this bond with the players, he can get top performances for a long period of time.

Integrated Leadership

He touched briefly on this and defined it as every aspect of training. The “complexity of operation” means that if one aspect of their work is not where they need it to be, it can have effect other areas. Therefore, Mourinho’s attention to detail is not limited to tactics or training techniques, but instead to every aspect of the club that can effect his players.

As Mourinho handed the microphone over to his coaching staff, his presentation was never quite done. He sat on the edge of his chair and constantly added or politely interrupted his assistant coaches as they explained their role in the club. He believes in the complexity of each relationship at the football club and so must manage it accordingly. He looks at his players as people, who need to be managed, motivated, and given special attention to. He also understands the importance of his own behavior. Although he admits having to “gamble” with his actions, he is always in control of them and that is key. Top players must love it, and most importantly, they respond to it. I would suggest that the ‘special one’ tag would be used just as much by these players, as the fans and media.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/jose-mourinho-tactical-thinking-part-1/

Not at Madrid it would seem. The snake oil salesman got found out. Sounds like motivational speaking self help guru. The modern world eh.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #18: May 09, 2013 05:06:24 am
      Mourinho's 'special gift'  what sets him up above the rest is ..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the press rubber stamp his genius.

I have cracked the Mourinho code and if you would look at the money he has spent, it is entirely obvious. The rest is wishful thinking of people trying to understand this 'phenomenon'
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: May 09, 2013 10:51:14 am
      Mourinho's 'special gift'  what sets him up above the rest is ..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the press rubber stamp his genius.

I have cracked the Mourinho code and if you would look at the money he has spent, it is entirely obvious. The rest is wishful thinking of people trying to understand this 'phenomenon'
      2-3 years of success followed by pissing everyone else of with his attitude of when we win it's down to me and when we loose it's everyone elses fault.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: May 09, 2013 09:30:57 pm
      Jose Mourinho is a top class manager as he so proved in what still is his finest achievement at FC Porto. However I don't think he's really escalated in value since 2004. He's still as good but going to three teams with hundreds of millions to spend is a bit of a kop out for someone who is supposed to be so good. I recall that he could have become Liverpool manager in 2004 and the indications were that he wanted the job which could have turned the history of events quite substantially (we probably would not have become European Champions winners but could have fared better domestically). As a team that haven't been able to compete financially with the likes of Chelsea it would have been fascinating to see how Jose Mourinho's Liverpool panned out. That said when Houllier left the club that summer it was quite obvious who was number 1 on the shortlist - that of a certain Rafael Benitez.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2377496/Mourinho-would-prefer-Liverpool.html
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: May 10, 2013 11:38:47 am
      Jose Mourinho is a top class manager as he so proved in what still is his finest achievement at FC Porto. However I don't think he's really escalated in value since 2004. He's still as good but going to three teams with hundreds of millions to spend is a bit of a kop out for someone who is supposed to be so good. I recall that he could have become Liverpool manager in 2004 and the indications were that he wanted the job which could have turned the history of events quite substantially (we probably would not have become European Champions winners but could have fared better domestically). As a team that haven't been able to compete financially with the likes of Chelsea it would have been fascinating to see how Jose Mourinho's Liverpool panned out. That said when Houllier left the club that summer it was quite obvious who was number 1 on the shortlist - that of a certain Rafael Benitez.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2377496/Mourinho-would-prefer-Liverpool.html

Number one candidate, until he charged down the line at Old Trafford, it was at that moment Rick Parry decided he didn't fit in with the Liverpool Way and went for Rafa.

Why do you think Mourinho, when asked a couple of years back when he was at Inter, would he manage us, said he wouldn't manage us for 'personal reasons.' His ego was hurt big time back in 2004, probably why he came out with that 'special one' shtick when he went to Chelsea.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: May 10, 2013 11:48:45 am
      If the circumstances were right (we had some funds and the job become available), I think he'd actually want to come here to be honest. His ego would love the chance to get a club like Liverpool back to to the top regardless of what happened in 2004.

Quick Reply