Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The faith of the local fans...

Read 5326 times
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Re: The faith of the local fans...
      Reply #23: Apr 15, 2013 11:37:24 pm
      Isn't a out of towners £40 through the gate the same as a locals £40 through the game? If the ground is full with 43000 fans all paying £40 a ticket, whats the difference where they come from?

Also, if all out of town LFC fans that attend Anfield decided not to...   would the stadium be anywhere near full with only locals allowed in?

just a question, not stirring owt up

If you look at it in purely commercial terms the club probably think an OOT (or at least a tourist) is worth more. (and yes I know I'm generalising in what follows)
      A scouser turns up at Anfield has a few beers in the Park or the Sandon, gets into the ground just in time to belt out YNWA watches the match and goes home. Income to the club £40
      A tourist gets to the ground early, spends money in the club shop, goes into the ground early to 'soak up the atmosphere' so hands the club their beer and pie money. That's if they aren't booked in to one of the hospitality packages. Chances are they stay overnight and go back the following day for the stadium tour. Income to the club? £100? £200?
      Unfortunately this is then what starts killing off the vocal support in the stadium if the club doesn't strike a balance. 
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #24: Apr 16, 2013 01:07:00 am
      Im from ireland and i love liverpool but noway would i put myself in the same bracket as a scouser. Its more than a football team to follow for them its their city,its where they are from,its much more than just football. The locals are the hardcore fans they are the ones standing at the back of the kop trying to get an atmosphere going while the rest sit and take photos. They are the ones who prob lost friends and family at hillsborough and they are the ones who had not only their football club but their home towns name dragged through the dirt. So i think the local fans voice is alot more important than us out of towners. Just my opinion
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Apr 16, 2013 10:07:47 am
      It hasn't taken long for the old OOT's being responsible for all the clubs ills to emerge. As an OOT I  know a few locals who need a good kick up the arse in terms of their supposed commitment, overall the only colour that matters is red wherever they come from. Yes a scouser has more emotional attachment because of the ties and bonds that link them to the club and city but people from outside can be as passionate and as commited. Why this argument keeps being dragged up is beyond me as nothing is going to change. I remember someone in the 90's having a pop at me saying I should support my local team, I got wound up and told them how much I spent and the hours it takes to get around the country and the guy said I must be a mug.
      redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 16, 2013 11:04:38 am
      that's always gonna crop up, the old chestnut...   "you should support your local team". Well, what if I haven't got a local team?

Like I said earlier, all out of towners stop going to Anfield. Then we'd see how quiet it really is.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: Apr 16, 2013 11:29:53 am
      I'm an adopted scouser i met my wife at anfield 25 years ago.
      So i know what its like to be an OOTer & it can be pretty shitty

A hell of a lot of locals ie scousers dont want OOTers going to the game
      A lot of scouse lads dont want OOTers supporting Liverpool full stop

Its only when they get to know you, when they see with there own eyes
      your commitment. That's when they take you to their heart that's when you
      become one of them.

Take it from me it doesn't happen overnight. None of my neighbours would even
      enter a discussion about LFC with an OOTer they would consider them unworthy.

I think they are mistaken but that's just the way it is i'm afraid.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #28: Apr 16, 2013 12:06:46 pm
      Think Hardcore sums it up for me.

Ive been travelling for 25 years home and away, and in my opinion the local supporter has more "right" to voice their opinions than someone like me. I may vent my frustation on here from time to time and on the coach travelling back and from time to time on the Kop with whoever is unfortaunate enough to be next to me but I dont live in the City I dont know any Evertonians and I dont get to as many games as I would like.

Local support should be the core of any club support and their voices should be heard before an OOT like me.

Just the way I feel, it doesnt mean Im any less passionate about the club but singing Scouser Tommy seems a bit false to me not being from the area.

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #29: Apr 16, 2013 12:09:53 pm
      I'm an adopted scouser i met my wife at anfield 25 years ago.
      So i know what its like to be an OOTer & it can be pretty shitty

A hell of a lot of locals ie scousers dont want OOTers going to the game
      A lot of scouse lads dont want OOTers supporting Liverpool full stop

Its only when they get to know you, when they see with there own eyes
      your commitment. That's when they take you to their heart that's when you
      become one of them.

Take it from me it doesn't happen overnight. None of my neighbours would even
      enter a discussion about LFC with an OOTer they would consider them unworthy.

I think they are mistaken but that's just the way it is i'm afraid.

Very true mate...Ive been to games and heard the abuse, Ive nearly been in fights because of it as well.

Years ago when I was 16/17 I was travelling with a mixed group from Lincolnshire, Liverpool, London and Essex...we went to lots of games together, they looked after me and made sure i was ok. I think its changed now I hope im wrong.

redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #30: Apr 16, 2013 12:16:31 pm
      is there 43000 scousers in liverpool that would go to the games week in week out? i fear not. Anfield would be half empty every home game. I'm talking about proper born n bred liverpudlians not someone whose moved there. it'd be a quiet place
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #31: Apr 16, 2013 03:29:19 pm
      is there 43000 scousers in liverpool that would go to the games week in week out? i fear not. Anfield would be half empty every home game. I'm talking about proper born n bred liverpudlians not someone whose moved there. it'd be a quiet place

If they brought the price of tickets down, I reckon you'd be wrong! You forgotten about all the young lads that have been priced out of going the match.

When I first started going, loads of young lads 12/13 upwards could pay £5 and stand on the kop, that age-range have been priced out of going to the match with their mates. They can only go if accompanied by adult which is bullshit.

So do your sums first!! And that is the type of sh*t attitude that pisses locals off.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #32: Apr 16, 2013 03:32:10 pm
      that's always gonna crop up, the old chestnut...   "you should support your local team". Well, what if I haven't got a local team?

Like I said earlier, all out of towners stop going to Anfield. Then we'd see how quiet it really is.

Again I'm going to disagree, Chelsea 2005 had more of a local edge to it that night, loudest I've ever heard Anfield, so again I'd say you're wrong!

Not knocking those OOT's who would of been going for years, but local fans are more louder when it really matters. FACT!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Apr 16, 2013 03:38:38 pm
      Back in the day's when I could afford to travel up on the hope of a ticket, let alone actually getting one, I've always had a great time mixing with the locals who couldn't get in either.  Never had a bad time in Liverpool.  Back when it was standing, I remember mixing with fans of other clubs  in The Kop who, if behaving themselves and being respectful, were welcome as well. 

This resentment thing seems to be far more recent to me and possibly because people are being priced out, which affects locals and OTTers.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #34: Apr 16, 2013 03:47:23 pm
      This resentment thing seems to be far more recent to me and possibly because people are being priced out, which affects locals and OTTers.

It's all to with that. The more and more people get priced out, the more the resentment grows.

It's where the whole hating-wools thing has grown amongst the younger element of our fan base. They can get away tickets and go with their mates, through probably knowing people with fan cards, but also because opposition clubs actually do kids tickets and can be bought with needing to be adult and child tickets.

Best example can be LFC selling tickets for last Friday's youth game for kids for a pound at the ticket office. But they had to be accompanied by an adult to buy them! So obviously loads of kids hanging around the gates asking anyone going up towards Anfield to stand with them at the windows so they could get tickets.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #35: Apr 16, 2013 03:52:23 pm
      Unfortunately, the angers aimed at the wrong people.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #36: Apr 16, 2013 03:55:43 pm
      Unfortunately, the angers aimed at the wrong people.

I know, should be Liverpool FC first, but again, it's an unrational argument!

"It's the wool's fault la!" Being stock answer.

When the question and argument should be put to the club about selling policy and prices. And that won't change anytime soon.
      redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #37: Apr 16, 2013 04:14:10 pm
      If they brought the price of tickets down, I reckon you'd be wrong! You forgotten about all the young lads that have been priced out of going the match.

When I first started going, loads of young lads 12/13 upwards could pay £5 and stand on the kop, that age-range have been priced out of going to the match with their mates. They can only go if accompanied by adult which is bullshit.

So do your sums first!! And that is the type of sh*t attitude that pisses locals off.

listen, you seem to be angry with me here but what I was saying was just an observation from me and it was my opinion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong either way I just fear that if out of town supporters stopped supporting then the attendence would be down.

I'm originally from the city, back off a bit with the snapping
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #38: Apr 16, 2013 04:24:04 pm
      listen, you seem to be angry with me here but what I was saying was just an observation from me and it was my opinion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong either way I just fear that if out of town supporters stopped supporting then the attendence would be down.

I'm originally from the city, back off a bit with the snapping

Whose snapping, in the same way am I not allowed an observation or opinion? Or is that because my observation and opinion are in complete contrast with yours? I'm not angry, go the game every week, just saying what I see from what I saw when I first started going the game with my dad and then with my mates.

You're no longer in the city, so don't obviously see the lack of youth at games like their used to be. The resentment shown by those same youth who can no longer get to games because of how expensive it is these days. My point was I disagreed with your statement, because that lack of youth would mean the attendance wouldn't be down. Look at attendances when we were great that wasn't simply because locals weren't arsed, not as many people went the game as they do now NATIONALLY, because the of the stigma football had attached to it. Again a fact!

What's wrong with what I said?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #39: Apr 16, 2013 10:01:00 pm
      Like it or not, I was brought up partly in Clubmoor, and partly in Strawberry Field Sally Army Childrens home.
      All the family Scousers for generation after generation. Distantly related to the Tetley Tea Family of old.
       Family moved south, so I became an oot after years in the annie road end. Re visited relatives for years for school hols etc. and even now on my less frequent visits, still feel like i'm coming home.
       Even so, the local supporters are so vital to the heartbeat of the club, I have been saying for years, the KOP seats should be issued to season ticket holders, with a local post code, and the oots, anywhere they can squeeze them in. Lets get the kop back to the days when only, and I mean ONLY , the most passionate fans went there.
      I'm considered an oot now, but even in the 70s and 80s, I had many a scrap with locals who were just out for a scrap, and the different accent was reason enough, no matter what colours you had on. Had as many scraps with scousers as I had with mancs back then, even though I'd been a red longer, and on the kop more often than most of them at the time. I cant remember starting one, and hated slapping fellow reds, but you have to defend yourself eh!  Funny old game aint it.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #40: Apr 17, 2013 12:01:13 am
      All the times iv been to liverpool iv never had an ounce of trouble of a scouser or even a bit of resentment. Always been very welcoming
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #41: Apr 17, 2013 12:11:45 am
      I'm not a local fan, but local fans' faith is without doubt very important for a football club, they're the soul of a club as they live near the club. We as Liverpool fans are one big family and it doesn't matter where you're from, but living down the road from Anfield and Melwood, local fans have more insight I'd imagine. Local fans have more feeling for the club because they are nearer, all the football talk around them is Merseyside football talk, everybody is talking about Liverpool (on the odd occasion Everton). Out of town fans like myself, the majority of people are talking about the local teams (for me it's West Brom, Wolves, Birmingham and Villa). That doesn't for one second suggest that local fans are neccessarily better or more important, but they are oh so important for the manager and for the club. Losing your nearest support is like losing a nearest family member, it takes a chunk out of your heart and spine. So it really does matter what the locals think of the manager, because they are the ones who go to the games week in week out and voice their opinions.

People might argue how I would know, being an out of town fan. But local fans breathe the club, it's like a religion for them. They go to work and everyone's a Liverpool fan, they go to the chippy, the pub, the shop, schools, it's all about Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool. Us out of town fans don't have that, we have our own locals talking about their own shitty local teams. The constant banter isn't Liverpool for out of town fans, maybe between friends and stuff but generally society isn't completely about Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like the happiest guy on earth when we win and when things are going our way and vice versa when we lose. But I can guarantee it means more to the locals, maybe that's very disrespectful to out of town fans but that's the feeling I get. Probably very weird coming from an actual out of town fan. I've been to Liverpool games and when we've scored I've cheered my ass off, but then I see some fans near me, absolute elation on their faces, pure emotion. During the games, strong scouse accents analysing every great pass with clapping, every sh*t pass with a groan, every move of the game because it means so much to them. Maybe I'm a sh*t supporter after all? ;D I don't know, I think I'm a great fan to be honest. I'm certainly not a teletext fan, I watch every single Liverpool game without fail (unless I'm working ;D).

I love Liverpool Football Club but I bet it means more to local fans than it does me and I say that proudly, I know how much I love the club and am not insecure of my support for the club. Would I die for Liverpool FC? No. Would some of the locals? I bet some would. A dumb example to use I know but I'm trying to argue that local fans are IMO the most important fans, and I absolutely love this great football club, absolutely love the club, everything about it. But how can I love it that much if I wouldn't die for it? I'd die for my family members who I love, but not for Liverpool FC... The locals make the club tick, they're the tradition and backbone of the club and are very important. Probably very weird coming from an out of town fan and I hope I haven't contradicted myself too much, I know the point I am trying to make...

Hope I don't offend any locals or out of town fans, just my opinions on how I see things. Main thing is we're all on the same side, YNWA!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #42: Apr 17, 2013 03:36:56 am
      I'm not a local fan, but local fans' faith is without doubt very important for a football club, they're the soul of a club as they live near the club. We as Liverpool fans are one big family and it doesn't matter where you're from, but living down the road from Anfield and Melwood, local fans have more insight I'd imagine. Local fans have more feeling for the club because they are nearer, all the football talk around them is Merseyside football talk, everybody is talking about Liverpool (on the odd occasion Everton). Out of town fans like myself, the majority of people are talking about the local teams (for me it's West Brom, Wolves, Birmingham and Villa). That doesn't for one second suggest that local fans are neccessarily better or more important, but they are oh so important for the manager and for the club. Losing your nearest support is like losing a nearest family member, it takes a chunk out of your heart and spine. So it really does matter what the locals think of the manager, because they are the ones who go to the games week in week out and voice their opinions.

People might argue how I would know, being an out of town fan. But local fans breathe the club, it's like a religion for them. They go to work and everyone's a Liverpool fan, they go to the chippy, the pub, the shop, schools, it's all about Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool. Us out of town fans don't have that, we have our own locals talking about their own shitty local teams. The constant banter isn't Liverpool for out of town fans, maybe between friends and stuff but generally society isn't completely about Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like the happiest guy on earth when we win and when things are going our way and vice versa when we lose. But I can guarantee it means more to the locals, maybe that's very disrespectful to out of town fans but that's the feeling I get. Probably very weird coming from an actual out of town fan. I've been to Liverpool games and when we've scored I've cheered my ass off, but then I see some fans near me, absolute elation on their faces, pure emotion. During the games, strong scouse accents analysing every great pass with clapping, every sh*t pass with a groan, every move of the game because it means so much to them. Maybe I'm a sh*t supporter after all? ;D I don't know, I think I'm a great fan to be honest. I'm certainly not a teletext fan, I watch every single Liverpool game without fail (unless I'm working ;D).

I love Liverpool Football Club but I bet it means more to local fans than it does me and I say that proudly, I know how much I love the club and am not insecure of my support for the club. Would I die for Liverpool FC? No. Would some of the locals? I bet some would. A dumb example to use I know but I'm trying to argue that local fans are IMO the most important fans, and I absolutely love this great football club, absolutely love the club, everything about it. But how can I love it that much if I wouldn't die for it? I'd die for my family members who I love, but not for Liverpool FC... The locals make the club tick, they're the tradition and backbone of the club and are very important. Probably very weird coming from an out of town fan and I hope I haven't contradicted myself too much, I know the point I am trying to make...

Hope I don't offend any locals or out of town fans, just my opinions on how I see things. Main thing is we're all on the same side, YNWA!

Nope you just get it!

Quick Reply