Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)

Read 24448 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)
      Apr 27, 2013 10:38:18 am
      Don't shoot the messenger and all that, but:

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/336759-Qatari-company-seek-to-Sponsor-LFC-and-rename-Anfield

and

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/04/qatari-company-seeking-to-sponsor-liverpool-and-rename-anfield/

and

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305400.0

Interesting, and yes, I'd sell the Anfield name 'if' it would make a serious positive impact on our transfer budget.

Look at it this way - would you settle for Anfield being called Qatar Telecom Stadium if it meant having (for example); Levandowskin and Falcao in your starting lineup?

It's the nature of football today whether we like it or not.

It's probably all rubbish (thought a few of the remarks are "quoted" - read into that what you will) but it raises an interesting question anyway; do we sell out for big money or not?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,444 posts | 4583 
      Re: Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2013 10:42:08 am
      Think i mentioned Qatari's interest a few months back if im correct, there was talk of them in Birmingham looking to sponsor a team or buy one as they were about to start flying from Birmingham Airport and wanted to lift the profile of the brand further, was told they would look at Liverpool because they may get Flights from John Lennon?.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2013 11:04:28 am
      Can't say I'd be for renaming Anfield. I was always under the impression that if we remained at Anfield then the stadium name wouldn't change.

Think it will turn out to be a load of bollocks myself, but we'll wait and see.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2013 11:07:11 am
      Since Arsenal, utd and City are not available? . At least we are fourth in something.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2013 11:09:41 am
      Not this again, Leave Anfield alone!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2013 11:17:16 am
      Not this again, Leave Anfield alone!

Yeah leave Britney alone.. any reason to post this vid. :D

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

In practical terms, did anyone here bother calling St James Park the Sports Direct?  I still forget and call the Emirates Highbury occasionally and that's a new bloody stadium and as far as I'm concerned, it's the city of Manchester Stadium.  Saying that, I still like an occasional pack of Opal Fruits but not so keen on Marathon Bars.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,252 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2013 12:11:17 pm
      In practical terms, did anyone here bother calling St James Park the Sports Direct? 

Only ThePushForFourth from on here.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,373 posts | 2821 
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2013 12:15:59 pm
      Can't they just buy us? :D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2013 12:23:20 pm
      Exactly what I was thinking
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2013 12:38:20 pm
      Buying, sponsoring, whatever they want if it means serious cash injection let them have their way. Anfield can take one for the team ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2013 12:50:17 pm
      I am sorry (call me an old fool ......   yeh yeh OK) and a conspiracy theorist but.....

The soundbites and quotes plus the history of Fenway Park/ FSG lead me to believe there wasnt really any credence given to a new stadium due to the economics.

So my trade off is quite simple.
      No multi million stadium commitment no Anfield renaming.
      Dont become the Scum and sell off even the training ground name like they did last week.

Staying at Anfield then keep it Anfield.
      Keep some dignity.

The Old Lady Of Grafton Street needn't become a prostitute just yet.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2013 12:53:38 pm
      Don't think it's a case of renaming, rather they want to have their name as the stadium 'sponsor' like Standard Chartered is now. Have a feeling if they did become our main sponsor they'd be very interested in buying somewhere down the line to bring in the big name signings to help the Asian market grow even more, thus benefiting us. Hopefully.

For what it's worth Messi is a Global Ambassador for Ooredoo: http://www.emirates247.com/sports/football/messi-becomes-brand-ambassador-for-ooredoo-2013-02-28-1.496919
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2013 01:07:55 pm
      Didn't they have some Qatari royal family members looking round Melwood sometime back getting the full VIP carry on? There was talk then of some big arse sponsor deal, the word takeover was bandied about and it all evaporated from what I recall.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013 02:00:54 pm by stuey »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2013 01:30:46 pm
      They could sponsor us for 10 billion and those clowns who run the club would only give the manager 20 million ( plus sales  :roll: )

For what's its worth I'm against renaming
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2013 01:52:20 pm
      They could sponsor us for 10 billion and those clowns who run the club would only give the manager 20 million ( plus sales  :roll: )

For what's its worth I'm against renaming

Be interesting to read the next set of accounts because it will be very difficult to hide the massive drop in wages, increased sponsorship to only show a £20m investment in the squad as "putting every penny back into the club". Considering their actual investment so far amounts to getting the club for a steal and saddling it with directors loan debts I wouldn't be surprised to see the debt (repayment to them) fall as an opportunity to reduce their investment therefore improve their percentages when it comes to sale.

Of course that's guess work but £20m does not sound at all right about the level of 'profit' we would have made on the back of this squad, in fact it sounds ludicrously small.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,204 posts | 8565 
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2013 02:05:15 pm
      Don't shoot the messenger and all that, but:

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/336759-Qatari-company-seek-to-Sponsor-LFC-and-rename-Anfield

and

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/04/qatari-company-seeking-to-sponsor-liverpool-and-rename-anfield/

and

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305400.0

Interesting, and yes, I'd sell the Anfield name 'if' it would make a serious positive impact on our transfer budget.

Look at it this way - would you settle for Anfield being called Qatar Telecom Stadium if it meant having (for example); Levandowskin and Falcao in your starting lineup?

It's the nature of football today whether we like it or not.

It's probably all rubbish (thought a few of the remarks are "quoted" - read into that what you will) but it raises an interesting question anyway; do we sell out for big money or not?

Bit slow off the mark, already discussed in this thread yesterday: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,33422.msg1457827.html#new

I'm going to say just wait and see what happens, but how the F**k do you pronounce the company Ooredoo, sounds F***ing stupid!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2013 02:14:06 pm
      Be interesting to read the next set of accounts because it will be very difficult to hide the massive drop in wages, increased sponsorship to only show a £20m investment in the squad as "putting every penny back into the club". Considering their actual investment so far amounts to getting the club for a steal and saddling it with directors loan debts I wouldn't be surprised to see the debt (repayment to them) fall as an opportunity to reduce their investment therefore improve their percentages when it comes to sale.

Of course that's guess work but £20m does not sound at all right about the level of 'profit' we would have made on the back of this squad, in fact it sounds ludicrously small.

That figure does seem small Luke, as a matter of interest who do you suppose would benefit from quoting an extremely modest profit margin?  >:D :roll:
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #17: Apr 27, 2013 02:21:09 pm
      The sponsoring bit I'm ok with, but why rename the most famous stadium in Europe?? No F***ing need for it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2013 02:23:01 pm

I'm going to say just wait and see what happens, but how the F**k do you pronounce the company Ooredoo, sounds F***ing stupid!

F**k that indeed!
      Check it out the stupid name is a dyslexic anagram of rodeo so F**k knows what else they'd be using the ground for. Churning up the turf and F***ing cowboy hats everywhere, nah F**k that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2013 02:28:56 pm
      That figure does seem small Luke, as a matter of interest who do you suppose would benefit from quoting an extremely modest profit margin?  >:D :roll:

Exactly mate, I've defended their investment in some areas but after the cull we suffered last summer to offer only £20m will change my opinion and defence. I think I'll be changing my stance to match more with PD's and anything that speeds FSG's exit would meet with my approval.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2013 02:34:14 pm
      Exactly mate, I've defended their investment in some areas but after the cull we suffered last summer to offer only £20m will change my opinion and defence. I think I'll be changing my stance to match more with PD's and anything that speeds FSG's exit would meet with my approval.

I've been very much open to giving them a chance and time to learn about what is needed.

They've had plenty now and learned nothing and are not taking us forward.

Sooner they go the better
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      Reply #21: Apr 27, 2013 02:36:59 pm
      Bit slow off the mark, already discussed in this thread yesterday: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,33422.msg1457827.html#new

No idea, but every time I see the word I think of
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,444 posts | 4583 
      Reply #22: Apr 27, 2013 02:40:01 pm

Only $$$$$ will speed the exit for our current custodians to be honest and to me its seem the game plan.

Quick Reply