Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Paul Tomkins: I Hate Rodgers (Clearly)

Read 7388 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Paul Tomkins: I Hate Rodgers (Clearly)
      Reply #46: May 09, 2013 02:36:07 pm
      But don't you think if Kenny was allowed to build on his first season we may have seen similar results or even better especially in the league as new players would have bedded in nicely?.

Still think it was way too premature to sack Kenny and not give him the opportunity to improve our league campaign which he would of if he were allowed to bring in his targets.

I agree it was too premature to sack Kenny. Said so numerous times this year and last.

It's hard to say. I mean, Diame would have been a brilliant addition to the team despite my concerns over his heart condition. That said, Kenny (and Comolli) seemed to want to build around Carroll and Suarez as a partnership, whereas Brendan seems to want to build around just Suarez.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #47: May 09, 2013 02:48:47 pm
      but I think we're in a better place now than we were last season despite winning a trophy and having similar results.

It's all pretty subjective really; isn't it?

What you "feel" or "think", as you've rightly pointed out (to be fair to you), isn't really backed up by the facts. Maybe you just need to feel we are in a better place. Maybe we are "better off" in the long-term but you don't know that; just as you don't know what the long-term would have held should FSG not have changed managers. That's the trouble with subjective arguments they are just that.

Maybe, in the meantime it's best stick to what can be measured and who knows, this time, next season, we will all be happy that we have really, measurably and undeniably improved on this one. Here's hoping.  :gt-happyup:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #48: May 09, 2013 04:31:19 pm
      We won a trophy and playing pretty good football like this season.

You must be getting mixed up with when Hodgson was in charge!

I'll go with the trophy and occasionally good football, but also it was some of the worst football I've seen at Anfield for a long time.  West Brom and Wigan being prime examples and at times versus Cardiff in the final, saying we were sh*t could be seen as being kind.  Their were some good signs, but their was a lot of sh*t as well, though KK earned, but wasn't given, the chance to rectify it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #49: May 09, 2013 05:10:12 pm
      To be fair we have played some good football this season when teams have let us , when we have had to roll up our sleeves and scrap for a win we have been absolutely dire, just as bad or worse that any game you care to mention about last season, and yet because its BR,s first season its all about cutting the man some slack , well effectively it was KK first proper season back ,got us in europe and two cup finals and yet was made to walk the plank ,just don,t figure for me  ,

I honestly believe Brendan has got quite lucky this season alll things considered ,he has had a season where our striker has scored 30 goals and papered over a multitude of errors ,where we would be in the league without them goals is anyone,s guess, had KK got any sort of luck last season woodwork and all then things would have been very much different, no improvement this year at all, and yet we are at the cutting slack time of the season, agenda,s have been at work and we have been the mugs falling for it.     
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #50: May 09, 2013 07:30:53 pm
      It's all pretty subjective really; isn't it?

What you "feel" or "think", as you've rightly pointed out (to be fair to you), isn't really backed up by the facts. Maybe you just need to feel we are in a better place. Maybe we are "better off" in the long-term but you don't know that; just as you don't know what the long-term would have held should FSG not have changed managers. That's the trouble with subjective arguments they are just that.

Maybe, in the meantime it's best stick to what can be measured and who knows, this time, next season, we will all be happy that we have really, measurably and undeniably improved on this one. Here's hoping.  :gt-happyup:

That's true. And if we look at things that have happened, one thing is better, another thing is worse, one thing is better, another worse, and so on.

But like I said, Coutinho is probably influencing my opinion a bit more than it should hah
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #51: May 09, 2013 09:13:16 pm
      I look forward to see in which direction the side go, under Brendan, who I find a likeable guy on the whole. I think a challenge for a top four spot being a major priority.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: May 10, 2013 10:04:26 am
      And if we look at things that have happened, one thing is better, another thing is worse, one thing is better, another worse, and so on.

But like I said, Coutinho is probably influencing my opinion a bit more than it should hah

I think that's the whole point of the article and where I am in recent times; the 'good' and 'bad' certainly take turns in winning the battle for hearts n minds.

As for Coutinho - I hear you loud and clear... I felt much the same about Suarez - I can forgive the Carroll faux pas simply because I'd suffer three Carrolls for every one Suarez. The trick is to build on these two and quick.

Players like these can't and won't wait about on a long-term plan to (maybe) come to fruition. Teams, with more to offer, will test their and our resolve; the longer we go without showing intent the faster we'll lose them. I was never an "I want it all now" fan - still ain't - but "now" has been three seasons long.

FSG have yet another chance to show ambition to the fans and players; let's take it eh?

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: May 10, 2013 11:37:23 am
      Great article by Tomkins. Agree wholeheartedly with it.

I think next season will make or break BR. He needs to buy wisely and really push the team. What he specifically has to achieve is not up to me but we have to show more consistency, improve defensively and not be trying to finish higher than Everton with 3 games to go in the season to salvage any sort if credibility.

I like BR the man. I hope it works out for all parties. But as I kept saying earlier once he moves away from his philosophy then I will not support him and towards the second part of the season we didn't play like his Swansea team. Passing it sideways around the back and then hoofing it long is not tiki taka. It's sh*t and a cop out.

Quick Reply