Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

British & Irish Lions 2013

Read 11328 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: British & Irish Lions 2013
      Reply #23: Jul 07, 2013 09:43:17 pm
      British Lions 41 v 16 Australia

Smashed

And?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #24: Jul 07, 2013 09:47:10 pm
      There is no 'and'.

It isn't required.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2013 09:49:16 pm
      There is no 'and'.

It isn't required.

Why quote me then?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2013 09:52:57 pm
      Because of what you typed up above
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #27: Jul 07, 2013 10:14:33 pm
      Horwill escapes again, i thought before tha the aussies would win and now I'm convinced.

Haha
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #28: Jul 08, 2013 01:47:28 am

Read it properly so.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #29: Jul 08, 2013 08:42:49 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Jul 08, 2013 11:27:23 am

What about my post made it quote worthy?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #31: Jul 08, 2013 11:34:06 am
      What about my post made it quote worthy?
      What nationality are you?

EDIT: The reason I asked is because you seemed a bit put out because there were 10 Welshmen in the team
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2013 12:25:33 pm by Rush »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2013 12:37:42 pm

So are you going to put any context to the post or is that the extent of any debating skill you may or may not have?

Should I presume you thought I wanted The Lions to lose and therefore your post was a benign attempt at giving me the finger?

If so then I'd be slightly disappointed.

I would much rather somebody debated the merits of The British & Irish Lions vs a 10 Welsh 15.
      Add that Gatland jumped at what he knew and the negative style of play, which was no doubt successful for him.

Success at any cost - Fair enough.
      Ultimately I would like to see teams play with more technical flair.

BOD getting dropped took the headlined prior to the game.
      That ignored the fact Ireland had Tommy Bowe, Jonny Sexton & Sean O'Brien in the starting 15.
      That said, I thought leaving O'Driscoll and Heaslip out of the squad entirely was a harsh decision on them.

I can only imagine English and Scottish fans had little to get excited about.

My post was made in jest.

Asking you for context on why I was quoted seems to have been met with you only able to question my nationality?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #33: Jul 08, 2013 01:21:10 pm
      So are you going to put any context to the post or is that the extent of any debating skill you may or may not have?
      The context was to find out what nationality you were and isn't a reflection of my ability to debate. At least I'd hope not!

Should I presume you thought I wanted The Lions to lose and therefore your post was a benign attempt at giving me the finger?
      It never crossed my mind you'd want the Lions to actually lose. But it did cross my mind that you thought the Lions would lose 'because' of the line up.

If so then I'd be slightly disappointed.
      Wouldn't blame you

I would much rather somebody debated the merits of The British & Irish Lions vs a 10 Welsh 15.
      Add that Gatland jumped at what he knew and the negative style of play, which was no doubt successful for him.
      I'll address the negative style of play issue below

Success at any cost - Fair enough.
      Ultimately I would like to see teams play with more technical flair.
      Me too, but regardless, the Lions played some good stuff as well.

BOD getting dropped took the headlined prior to the game.
      That ignored the fact Ireland had Tommy Bowe, Jonny Sexton & Sean O'Brien in the starting 15.
      That said, I thought leaving O'Driscoll and Heaslip out of the squad entirely was a harsh decision on them.
      I assume everyone did, but Gatland got the right result in the end.

I can only imagine English and Scottish fans had little to get excited about.
      Which highlights the suspicions I had initially about he problem being the majority of Welsh players in the set up.

My post was made in jest.

Asking you for context on why I was quoted seems to have been met with you only able to question my nationality?

Your comments came across as bitter.

Having a pop at Warren Gatland because he picked 10 Welshmen for the 3rd test, and then your remarks where you insinuated that the Welsh coach Gatland was somehow being too cowardly or defensive (‘frightened back to what he knows’) in his approach play during the test. Also, the sarcastic ‘Good luck Wales’ comment. You say you said it in jest, to me it didn't come across like it was just humour.

That’s why I quoted you. I was pointing out that you were wrong to say the things you said because the Lions mauled the Australians in their own back yard. Gatland was right to do what he did in the end.

Also, considering it was Gatland’s Welshmen who beat England 30 - 3 earlier this year and won the 6 Nations, I can’t see how anyone could label his approach play as ‘frightened’. Sure it wasn’t the free flowing in your face ‘All Blacks’ passing game over 80 minutes the British Lions displayed – but if that’s frightened, I’d hate to see Gatland when he’s feeling courageous.

No doubt he got a few things wrong on tour - but as coach he had some tough decisions to make before the 3rd test against Australia, and he had the conviction to make them.

The majority of the British Lions were Welsh because right now, Wales are the best rugby nation in the Northern Hemisphere and therefore have the best players in the majority of positions. Lee Halfpenny point in fact - he’s been outstanding the entire tour and one player of the tournament

Once every 12 years we play the Aussies, and when we lose, they shove it down our throats more than anyone. I like to thin I’d have enjoyed the tour regardless of who was coaching or who was picked.

I even heard that the Welsh were singing ‘Sweet Chariot’ during the game at one point!

To put it another way, if the Lions had lost with 10 Welshmen in the first XV, I imagine you’d have responded with something along the lines of ‘I told you so’.

I couldn't debate you with regard to BOD, Bowe, Sexton or whoever, because that wasn't the topic back then. I was responding to
      Good luck to Wales in the last test.

Gatland frightened back to what he knows.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2013 01:44:01 pm
      That’s why I quoted you. I was pointing out that you were wrong to say the things you

I wasn't wrong to say what I said.
      I never said they would lose.
      If anything I felt they would win the final test as I wasn't overly impressed with Australia during the test.

The majority of the British Lions were Welsh because right now, Wales are the best rugby nation in the Northern Hemisphere and therefore have the best players in the majority of positions. Lee Halfpenny point in fact - he’s been outstanding the entire tour and one player of the tournament

No argument there.
      Wales are easily the best team in the Northern Hemisphere right now.

Corbisiero
      Hibbard
      Faletau

All three were crucial to the third test win.
      That said, and I  may be biased, I thought Sexton and O'Brien were excellent too.

Also, the sarcastic ‘Good luck Wales’ comment. You say you said it in jest, to me it didn't come across like it was just humour.

Maybe next time I'll throw in a smiley face for any overly sensitive forum members.

No doubt Gatland is justified in the changes he made.
      Reverting to the Welsh players he deals with, and trusts to get the result.

I'm just curious as to what happens next for the Scottish and English players.
      Yes The Lions "mauled" Australia in the end, but is that what it's all about.

Should it be an all England 15 if they become dominant in a few years?
      Would you be so defensive of the strategy if the majority of the 15 was Irish?

Maybe the unit was more effective because of their familiarity with each other.
      I'm sure Gatland wont lose any sleep over it, regardless of his statement saying he took no satisfaction,
      he must have loved ramming the media's overreaction down their throats.

Don't misinterpret my post as bitter just because the majority of the English media was vitriolic in their
      pre match analysis.

I'd be more interested in what it meant for The Lions in the future if it continued to be a Wales or Ireland
      dominated team.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2013 01:54:41 pm
      Fair enough Racer

If the next Lions team was XV England, I'd still want the Lions to win, but be slightly miffed that no Welsh lads were representing our Isle. But seeing as the majority of the current team was Welsh, I was very much hoping we'd win because Wales was so heavily represented.

I think that's understandable
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2013 01:59:33 pm
      Fair enough Racer

If the next Lions team was XV England, I'd still want the Lions to win, but be slightly miffed that no Welsh lads were representing our Isle. But seeing as the majority of the current team was Welsh, I was very much hoping we'd win because Wales was so heavily represented.

I think that's understandable

That's my point though.

Even some of the Irish media looked past the 3 Irish starters to focus on BOD being excluded.
      The way the English media reacted you'd swear he was English.

If they'd lost the 3rd test the English, and some Irish, would have had a field day.
      Never mind that English rugby probably needs a wake up call.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2013 02:46:56 pm

Corbisiero is English mate, couple of my mates went to school with him.

You can see why Gatland went for what he knew for the last test, with the added power of Corbs in the scrum. In the backs I thought Halfpenny and Sexton were fantastic.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2013 03:24:13 pm
      Corbisiero is English mate, couple of my mates went to school with him.

You can see why Gatland went for what he knew for the last test, with the added power of Corbs in the scrum. In the backs I thought Halfpenny and Sexton were fantastic.

Sorry art. I probably should have split that a bit better, looking back at it.
      I had paragraphed it. Maybe should have headed that as the 3 best players in the final test.

Quick Reply