Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Fulham vs Liverpool EPL | Sun 12th May 2013 | KO 1500 BST

Read 9227 times
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Fulham vs Liverpool EPL | Sun 12th May 2013 | KO 1500 BST
      May 07, 2013 05:46:39 pm
      vs

The high of travelling up to Newcastle in what was a surprisingly comfortable away win was swiftly followed by a low. Liverpool's inability to dismantle their city neighbours and closest league rival means they are now two games away from the season drawing to a close. Automatic European qualification is now impossible, so what's left to play for? How about a retiring legend. Winning the final two games with the scouse legend leading the way is a fitting way to end an illustrious career. First up, it's Fulham away.

Breaking down the history of the past 6 meetings at Craven Cottage have been far from forgetful for the reds: 3 wins, including some Suarez magic which we will not see on Sunday, and 3 losses in which the reds have picked up 3 red cards in two of those. For good measure Papa Bouba Diop picked up a 90th minute red in the other loss.

The early season meeting between the two sides was a fantastic display from the reds, which included a rare positive Martin Skrtel performance and one of many great performances from our captain this season. We won comfortably at Anfield 4-0 against a Fulham team that couldn't care less and just wanted to go back home to London.

The players to be wary of in this one will be Bryan Ruiz - off the back of scoring two last week in what was an awful loss to the league whipping boys, along with the ever dangerous Dimitar Berbatov - who is not on the best form, failing to score in his last 6 games. Too many lethargic performances from a player they are paying top money for, in my personal opinion, however he is to never be taken lightly. When he's up for it the opposition defenders are in for a tough game.

Fulham are currently in possibly their worst run of games this season (W0 D1 L5) and that lousy run was capped off by the loss to Reading. Such a disappointing loss could be the fuel Martin Jol and his team craves to put on a show for their final game of the season in front of their home support. We must be wary of a fighting Fulham and duly slaughter any hope of an upset with a key early goal.

Team news: Gerrard set to miss the rest of the season with shoulder surgery, which means Fabio Borini could make his first start since coming back from injury, alternatively Brendan Rodgers may opt to go with either Shelvey or Suso for some more midfield control. While Sterling and Kelly are set to sit out the remainder of the season in favour of a fresh pre-season this summer. For Fulham, former reds Riise and Kačaniklić look set to play against their old club.

Whatever teamsheet you write down it doesn't look strong for the reds. However, with a fantastic performance Monday night from some of the U21 reds I'd like to see Andre Wisdom back in the starting line-up to replace Glen Johnson. The main area to focus on obviously now is who will replace Gerrard. I'd like it to be Suso. He also had a nice game in a 10 vs 11 man situation in Manchester and hasn't featured too much since Coutinho arrived, which is a shame as they could link up well.

My preferred line-up:

Reina
      Wisdom Carragher Agger Enrique
                Lucas Henderson
         Downing  Suso  Coutinho
                   Sturridge

Referee: Mark Halsey (Callum McManaman's lover)
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Re: Fulham vs Liverpool EPL | Sun 12th May 2013 | KO 1500 BST
      Reply #1: May 08, 2013 06:12:03 am
      I think we will win this one after another anti-climax from the derby result. It is what we are this season. Take nothing for granted cause after a festival of goals, we will crash straight back eating humble pie. Our team have shown this season, despite the improve form over the second half of the season, we are not capable of putting a run of results that produce an impact of making us look as challengers. Our results are not making a dent on our rivals own expectations. I hope Brendan can make us have that image again next season. LFC being back known as genuine challengers will definitely rattle the whole league let alone the FA. Come On Liverpool!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2: May 08, 2013 02:01:01 pm
      Agger is out for the last two games as well.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #3: May 08, 2013 02:32:17 pm
      Season is effectively over so might aswell give some youngsters some first-team experience, especially with Agger, Gerrard and Suarez out.

Fulham looked very weak of late and also a mid-table finisher so have nothing to play for, dont see why we cant win.

Expect something like,
      Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Lucas, Henderson; Downing, Suso, Coutinho; Sturridge.

Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Shelvey, Assaidi, Borini, Ibe
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: May 08, 2013 02:36:48 pm
      Gerrard and Agger both out.

Coady and Wisdom to feature?

The last two games of what has been a nothing season,
      we might as well show some of the youngster faith.

Obviously it's more likely Skrtel will replace Agger,
      with Henderson dropping deep for Gerrard, but I'd like
      to see Coady and Wisdom feature as at least subs.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5: May 09, 2013 03:30:34 am
      Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Carra, Enrique; Henderson, Lucas; Downing, Suso, Coutinho; Borini
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: May 09, 2013 09:37:46 am
      narrow win 1-0 or 2-1. Think it will be a boring game im sick of draws tbh.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: May 09, 2013 10:33:08 am
      I'll wait until later to choose a team in case anyone else gets injured.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #8: May 09, 2013 10:35:01 am
                                   Reina
      Wisdom      Carragher       Skrtel      Enrique
                      Henderson      Lucas
         Downing              Suso            Coutinho
                                Sturridge
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4917 
      Reply #9: May 09, 2013 11:47:11 am
      I'd like to see a few young and fringe players starting for this one as we literally do have nothing left to play for and the attitude of everyone during the derby shows that even in that game they weren't up for it.

Reina

McLaughlin  Carra  Wisdom  Enrique

Coady  Lucas

Henderson

Sterling  Borini Coutinho
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2013 12:05:50 pm by srslfc »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #10: May 09, 2013 11:49:42 am
      I'd like to see a few young and fringe players starting for this one as we literally do have nothing left to play for and the attitude of everyone during the derby shows that even in that game they weren't up for it.

Reina

McLaughlin  Carra  Wisdom  Enrique

Coady  Lucas

Henderson

Sterling  Borinin Coutinho

We still have an outside chance of finishing ahead of the Bitters if we win out last 2 games so I really think we should be playing our strongest team possible.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4917 
      Reply #11: May 09, 2013 11:53:13 am
      We still have an outside chance of finishing ahead of the Bitters if we win out last 2 games so I really think we should be playing our strongest team possible.

Well the players selected against them didn't seem too bothered about that so give a few young lads a go.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #12: May 09, 2013 12:04:59 pm
      Anyone else see something wrong with the fact that the Rafa thread and Fergie retiring thread has received a lot more attention past few days than this?

Anyway, would be nice to see some young players involved. Maybe with Gerrard and Agger out, someone like Shelvey and Skrtel may come in. That would free up places on the bench for someone like Connor Coady or, from a personal like, Ryan McLaughlin. That said, would love to see Coates in instead of Skrtel. Hasn't done a lot wrong and, if rumours are to be believed, Skrtel leaving means the place is up for grabs. Give him a go!
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #13: May 09, 2013 04:11:58 pm
      Give some players who have been out of favour a chance to shine.Like shelvey,coates,Then what about borino and even some reserve players on the bench as the game means nothing in terms of standings.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #14: May 09, 2013 05:09:31 pm
      Reina; McLaughlin, Wisdom, Carra, Enrique; Lucas, Coady; Henderson, Suso, Coutinho; Borini.

Subs: Gulasci, Johnson, Skrtel, Shelvey, Sterling, Downing, Sturridge.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,766 posts | 570 
      Reply #15: May 09, 2013 06:18:01 pm
      I cannot remember being this disinterested in a league game, we are going to finish 7th now so its irrelevant. Expect a win because we haven't got any pressure on us.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #16: May 09, 2013 09:39:45 pm
      Reina; McLaughlin, Wisdom, Carra, Enrique; Lucas, Coady; Henderson, Suso, Coutinho; Borini.

Subs: Gulasci, Johnson, Skrtel, Shelvey, Sterling, Downing, Sturridge.

This sounds a decent side to give some of the fringe players a decent outing. Wouldn't be the side i'd select if we were determined to get above the bitters, but these younger lads wont learn their trade if they don't get thrown in occasionally. Still think we have enough there to force a close win. Settle for a draw though, unless we go strongest side, then I would expect a resounding win.  I'll make a prediction when I know the starting 11.   
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: May 09, 2013 09:42:56 pm
      Think McLaughlin is still injured. Missed the last U21s game. Wouldn't mind seeing Ibe in the squad since Sterling is still recovering or being protected - whichever it is.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #18: May 09, 2013 10:02:39 pm
      Put Pepe up top, should always happen in nothing to play for Sunday league games!
      Seriously would go back to a 4-4-2, cant see how Borini/Sturridge would fit in the same team otherwise;

Pepe
      Johnson       Carra      Wisdom      Enrique
                          Lucas
                                        Henderson
           Ibe                                    Coutinho
                        Borini    Sturridge

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013 10:43:07 pm by Benito »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: May 10, 2013 12:36:36 am
      I remember that game against Fulham in May of 2011.  Wow.  What a time that was!  Anyone else remember that game?

We were still riding that high after Kenny came back, playing some really great football, we went away and crushed them 5-2, I think it was.

Maxi scored another hat trick with the third goal being a brilliant screamer that he never would have taken if it weren't for the away kop yelling "shoooot."

Jonjo played a mouthwatering through-ball to Suarez for the final goal and he danced around the keeper and tapped it in.

That season was about to end, and I could only think: wow, we're going to be F***ing amazing next season.

Then we got rid of Meireles and signed Downing, Adam, and Henderson.

And we've been fu**ed since then.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #20: May 10, 2013 12:33:50 pm
      I remember that game against Fulham in May of 2011.  Wow.  What a time that was!  Anyone else remember that game?

We were still riding that high after Kenny came back, playing some really great football, we went away and crushed them 5-2, I think it was.

Maxi scored another hat trick with the third goal being a brilliant screamer that he never would have taken if it weren't for the away kop yelling "shoooot."

Jonjo played a mouthwatering through-ball to Suarez for the final goal and he danced around the keeper and tapped it in.

That season was about to end, and I could only think: wow, we're going to be f**king amazing next season.

Then we got rid of Meireles and signed Downing, Adam, and Henderson.

And we've been fu**ed since then.

Yea i remember. Fulham were woeful that day just like Newcastle were a couple of weeks ago.

And we didn't get rid of Meireles he f*cked us by submitting a written transfer request on the last day of the transfer window to join the Chavs cus he's a money grabbing c*nt. Now he's warming the bench at Fenerbache.

As Rafa would say these are the facts!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21: May 10, 2013 02:04:07 pm
      I know everyone wants a bunch of changes, but I just don't see anyone else but Johnson at RB, for example. My guess is that Brendan will start this team:

Reina
      Carragher       Skrtel   
      Johnson                        Enrique
      Lucas    Henderson
      Shelvey
      Downing                         Coutinho
      Sturridge

Granted, I'd actually prefer to see Coutinho as the AM with either Assaidi or Sterling (if fit) starting at LWF. But, I'm not seeing it happening. Plus, Shelvey just scored that screamer for the U21s, so that will surely have caught Brendan's attention.

Who partners Carra will be interesting though. It's either going to be: Skrtel to prove he should be starting next year, or Coates to prove he still has a future here. Something to keep an eye on I think.

And we didn't get rid of Meireles he f*cked us by submitting a written transfer request on the last day of the transfer window to join the Chavs cus he's a money grabbing c*nt. Now he's warming the bench at Fenerbache.

The Meireles situation was a bit more complicated than that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #22: May 10, 2013 02:42:55 pm
      The Meireles situation was a bit more complicated than that.

Something else to thank Purslow the snake for!!

Quick Reply