Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Kelly or Johnson?

Read 4747 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Re: Kelly or Johnson?
      Reply #23: May 13, 2013 08:33:07 pm
      Neither of those are true because you've got the order a bit mixed up there. Kelly didn't displace Johnson at all. Enrique being injured or out of form moved Johnson to LB as he's the only player in the squad who can adequately fill-in, so Kelly came in at RB once Johnson gets moved. If we had a legit backup at LB, Glen wouldn't have been moved.

Don't talk sh*te lad.

Kelly was first choice right back at the start of the season. Johnson was moved because Brendan, rightly so, believes Kelly is our best right back.

The only reason Enrique is playing left back and Johnson on the right, right now is because Kelly is injured. Brendan has shown that Martin Kelly is his first choice right back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: May 13, 2013 08:34:39 pm
      Kelly all day long. Johnson has seemed to have lost it now, he isn't even that effective going forward anymore. Also nervy whenever he is having to defend where as when Kelly plays I am confident that he wont get beaten, not to mention he is good in attack too. Having said that, maybe move him to centre back as Carra's replacement.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: May 13, 2013 08:46:55 pm
      I think Glen's stock has dropped this season. Questions about his defensive ability have always been argued away by 'attack is best form of defense'/but he's so good going forward.  But in a lot of the games I've seen him this season, he's lacked end product and looked a mite slow on the ball. I like Jonno, on his day he's really good, and he can finish, but we need consistency and he's missing the bit of steel from his game that would make him more dependable.

Hmm, that might be harsh though. Reckon we have bigger problems to resolve in other positions, particularly centre back.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: May 13, 2013 09:00:35 pm
      Don't talk sh*te lad.

Kelly was first choice right back at the start of the season. Johnson was moved because Brendan, rightly so, believes Kelly is our best right back.

The only reason Enrique is playing left back and Johnson on the right, right now is because Kelly is injured. Brendan has shown that Martin Kelly is his first choice right back.

Pretty sure you're forgetting Enrique started the season injured with pain in his knee.

Enrique:

- wasn't in the 18 vs West Brom
      - came off the bench vs City (replaced Kelly, not Johnson, it's worth noting)
      - started vs Arsenal (Kelly was an unused sub as Johnson was back to RB)
      - Enrique did go back to the bench at Sunderland and vs United, at which point Kelly got injured.

All of which would indicate that it had more to do with Enrique being injured or out of form than anything else.

And this is nothing against Martin Kelly, by the way. I think he's a great back. But it's incorrect to say he was ahead of Johnson.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #27: May 13, 2013 11:33:11 pm
      Dont see wht the arguement here about LFC players. each has his own qualities. i for one am a fan of Kelly cos i always have a soft spot for any of our academy players promoted to the first team. For Kelly i believe his future is at the center of the defence, thats where i see his quality being fully utilised and the occassional spells at right back.

I think Glen is above average and should still be a starter in the First team unless we get a good price for him, but i dont support him being benched for Kelly, not at the right back position, yes he has had some bad games this season, but i still believe he's the best full back we have in the team in both positions. He is poor with his final ball but he is miles ahead Wisdom, Kelly and Enrique in that department. their final delivery leaves a lot to be desired. His other advantage over the others is the fact that he also has an eye for a shot and can use both feet.

I never liked Enrique from when he was signed but i have to admit he has vastly improved compared to when he first signed, but still again if we get a good price for him, i would sell him.

In conclusion, I believe barring any new signings in the full back positions, I think we have enough chances for all these 4 players to get some quality minutes during the course of next season, so really i dont see any reason to choose or say who's better cos there's no benefit to the arguement.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #28: May 14, 2013 04:02:56 am
      Johnson stays as first choice RB, Kelly promote to first choice CB, buy Micah Richards to compete with Johnson, promote Wisdom as 4th choice CB, send Coates out on loan, if Skrtel agrees to start again as a sub and support the team then Skrtel stays, Robinson as second choice LB and our defence are set for next season.  ;)
      optimist
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #29: May 14, 2013 05:01:19 am
      Johnson stays as first choice RB, Kelly promote to first choice CB, buy Micah Richards to compete with Johnson, promote Wisdom as 4th choice CB, send Coates out on loan, if Skrtel agrees to start again as a sub and support the team then Skrtel stays, Robinson as second choice LB and our defence are set for next season.  ;)
      I don't think we will see this. Skrtel is really struggling playing the high line. Kelly never played the CB position for a long time. Agger needs a strong and tall CD who can organize the defence. Kelly may become that player, but he is too young and injury prone to play as regular in that position, especially when Agger   likes to go forward at times, we should really want an experienced player out there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: May 14, 2013 10:14:49 am
      Been done to death this argument and my answer is always the same - Martin Kelly every F***ing time. I just don't rate Johnson as a right back, never have and chances are I never will.

His, supposed, attacking threat doesn't cut for me either anymore. I used to believe all that sh*te as well but for this great attacking defender, his ability to cross a ball is F***ing awful at times. He wastes too much time trying to go past people and dallying on the ball. Then it takes him a F***ing week to get back in position because he just casually jogs rather than busting his balls to make up for his error. And nine times our of ten he ends up in the wrong position when he does get back. He's a liability defensively and has been proven to be so too often again this year and I don't think he's great going forward - as a right back.

However, if the question was changed to Enrique or Johnson for the left back slot then I would be only too happy to see Glen play as he's much better on the opposite flank, his defending seems to improve there and Enrique, like Johnson, is another of the vastly overrated players we possess. He too is too slow with the ball when going forward, his defending is shocking at times and his inability to use his right foot is enough to drive me up the wall. The number of times he cuts inside, realises he hasn't got a right foot, tries to turn back to his left and ends up losing the ball is scandalous.

You might of guessed that I don't rate either Johnson or Enrique that highly. And wouldn't lose any sleep if either, or even both, were sold during the summer.

Which makes me wonder just how the F**k we've kept more clean sheets than any other club, bar City, in the League this year.

But back to the actual answer - next year, I'd have Martin Kelly starting every single possible at right back.

This. Every single time.

Glad you wrote this Billy. I would of been hammered for saying the exact same thing. Johnson is terrible and I also prefer him at left back. He concentrates more.

Wouldn't mind have two new full backs but I still like Enrique. He's strong as hell and recovery is terrific. Only thing I hate is his willingness to cut in on his non existent right foot.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: May 14, 2013 03:18:01 pm
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Couldn't agree more both Enrique & Johnson are erractic at best
      Both must have been balerina's in a previous life twirling round endlessly
      Great going forward cant defend THE END..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32: May 14, 2013 04:34:59 pm
      If Kelly hasn't lost anything due to the injury then I think it's his time to have a real run in the team.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #33: May 14, 2013 05:49:02 pm
      So we're still thinking Kelly should play right back? I'd really like him to move into CB, where I think his future lies.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34: May 14, 2013 06:30:41 pm
      So we're still thinking Kelly should play right back? I'd really like him to move into CB, where I think his future lies.

Good to have a player that will hopefully be able to play effectively at both right back and centre back. Carra was playing at right back but always seemed more destined for CB and it's the same with Kelly.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #35: May 14, 2013 06:31:14 pm
      I'd still have Johnson. If Kelly was the better full back, he would have replaced Johnson as the full back when fit. he hasn't. Kelly has only played full back when Johnson has played LB, and Johnson has never been moved to accommodate Kelly. If that was so, then why haven't we seen Kelly & Enrique as the full backs with Johnson on the bench at any stage?

I'm a big fan of Johnson's, always have been. Think he was brilliant in the first section of our season. He was a very central figure to our creative play, and nearly always available for an outlet ball to carry the ball forward from deep with Allen was dithering with it. His form has taken a serious hit for the worse since February, although he did regain some form against Fulham, the goal aside. Maybe it's due to the fact that there is serious rumours that he has been told he can leave?

I'm a fan of Kelly, but he needs games, and lots of them. Rodgers has said he tried to loan him as a CB fro Swansea, so maybe this is where he will play him when everyone is fit. Also, he seems to have a lot of hamstring & muscle problems. I don't know if this is due to growing pains/ increase in fitness pressure or just him, but playing CB could suit him better than at RB as he won't be under as much pressure to be running up & down the line all game, and heavy sprints, stretching for balls to cross etc as he is not the fastest player in the world either. They could all be factors in his muscle injuries. 

Also, does Kelly have the technique needed to be a tricky, crossing full back in an attack minded team? It's been a while since we saw him play like, and it's not as if we have 50 games to base it on. I can't imagine him beating too many players with a trick and getting a cross in like. You can with Johnson.

I'd still have Johnson, with Kelly as a more than capable cover, but would prefer to try Kelly as a CB, grooming him there, playing some games at RB if needed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: May 14, 2013 06:37:09 pm
      I'd still have Johnson. If Kelly was the better full back, he would have replaced Johnson as the full back when fit. he hasn't. Kelly has only played full back when Johnson has played LB, and Johnson has never been moved to accommodate Kelly. If that was so, then why haven't we seen Kelly & Enrique as the full backs with Johnson on the bench at any stage?

He had replaced Johnson on a few occasions, more so last season because he's been out most of this. As for not seeing Glen on the bench, Enrique was in a poor run of form, playing far worse than Johnson and we have nobody else who can play at left back so it had to be Johnson that played there. We only really have 3 full backs at the club who are ready to be playing week in week out so we can't afford to have 2 of them on the bench at the same time.
      In fact I think it was actually Kelly's good form that led to Johnson first really getting a stint playing at left back under Kenny and I'm sure if Kelly hadn't gotten injured then Johnson would have found himself on the bench, especially with his piss poor form since the new year.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #37: May 14, 2013 07:16:05 pm
      Kelly has only played full back when Johnson has played LB, and Johnson has never been moved to accommodate Kelly. If that was so, then why haven't we seen Kelly & Enrique as the full backs with Johnson on the bench at any stage?

Thank God. I thought I was going crazy ;D

He had replaced Johnson on a few occasions, more so last season because he's been out most of this. As for not seeing Glen on the bench, Enrique was in a poor run of form, playing far worse than Johnson and we have nobody else who can play at left back so it had to be Johnson that played there. We only really have 3 full backs at the club who are ready to be playing week in week out so we can't afford to have 2 of them on the bench at the same time.
      In fact I think it was actually Kelly's good form that led to Johnson first really getting a stint playing at left back under Kenny and I'm sure if Kelly hadn't gotten injured then Johnson would have found himself on the bench, especially with his piss poor form since the new year.

I don't think so mate. Johnson was moved to LB initially because Kenny got rid of Konchesky on loan. Insua was already on loan, which meant the only LB we had was the always-fit-never-injured Fabio Aurelio ;D We did have Robinson in the reserves for emergency purposes. So, Glen was moved because we didn't have a suitable player to fill-in at LB.

As for last season, I can't recall anytime in which Enrique was LB and Kelly was RB. Enrique made something like 35 appearances in the league last year.

Quick Reply