Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Kelly or Johnson?

Read 4860 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Kelly or Johnson?
      May 13, 2013 09:22:41 am
      Just thinking for next season it seems everyone seems to forget about Martin Kelly who has been out all season. Before he was injured he didnt put a foot wrong and always give a good 7/8 out of 10 every game. If BR is buying a new CB then we may have to see Kelly play RB for another season. So im asking who u think should start if thats the case?

Johnson is more experienced and is better going forward but Kelly is the better natural defender and isnt bad going forward either. But i think if we want to tighten up defense, Kelly should start and maybe Johnson in more advanced role on the wing.
      optimist
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Re: Kelly or Johnson?
      Reply #1: May 13, 2013 09:32:25 am
      Just thinking for next season it seems everyone seems to forget about Martin Kelly who has been out all season. Before he was injured he didnt put a foot wrong and always give a good 7/8 out of 10 every game. If BR is buying a new CB then we may have to see Kelly play RB for another season. So im asking who u think should start if thats the case?

Johnson is more experienced and is better going forward but Kelly is the better natural defender and isnt bad going forward either. But i think if we want to tighten up defense, Kelly should start and maybe Johnson in more advanced role on the wing.

With injury records of Kelly, i don't like him playing the RB position next season. Now with the Knee injury he had this season, it is too risky to play the RB which will have lot of running in the system we are playing.

GJ in the wings will be a disaster. He doesn't have any end product. Playing him on the wings will completely nullify the creativity from that side. He is kind of lazy i should say. When he played the LB position, he was good. May be due to the extra effort he put because of playing a new position.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2: May 13, 2013 10:56:09 am
      With Carra going mate is has to be Kelly for centre back for me. He is an absolute lumper of a man and we need to replace the steel of Carragher with steel. As much as i love Agger as a centre back he needs a tough partner to look after him.

Saying that mind, if we were to get a designated defensive coach in then i'd be very confident that Skrtel can retain the form he showed under Dalglish and Clarke. His loss of form after they left left serious questions to be answered.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: May 13, 2013 11:09:51 am
      Agree but it seems as though were going after a new CB even though i think kelly and agger could string up a good partnership! I really dont think BR likes skrtel but due to finanical contraints i think he'll get another half a season at least!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #4: May 13, 2013 11:50:37 am
      Agree but it seems as though were going after a new CB even though i think kelly and agger could string up a good partnership! I really dont think BR likes skrtel but due to finanical contraints i think he'll get another half a season at least!

The thing is that Skrtel hasn't become a bad player overnight. He didn't just turn into a bad player. Anyone can see that the loss of Clarke has impacted on our defence this Season and Rodgers has to address this in the Summer or it will be more of the same next Season.

You build from the back.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: May 13, 2013 12:42:12 pm
      The thing is that Skrtel hasn't become a bad player overnight. He didn't just turn into a bad player. Anyone can see that the loss of Clarke has impacted on our defence this Season and Rodgers has to address this in the Summer or it will be more of the same next Season.

You build from the back.

Great point and one i didnt think of about Clarke last season we were solid enough at the back with not scoring enough goals and it is the complete oppositet this season!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6: May 13, 2013 01:04:59 pm
      Been done to death this argument and my answer is always the same - Martin Kelly every F***ing time. I just don't rate Johnson as a right back, never have and chances are I never will.

His, supposed, attacking threat doesn't cut for me either anymore. I used to believe all that sh*te as well but for this great attacking defender, his ability to cross a ball is F***ing awful at times. He wastes too much time trying to go past people and dallying on the ball. Then it takes him a F***ing week to get back in position because he just casually jogs rather than busting his balls to make up for his error. And nine times our of ten he ends up in the wrong position when he does get back. He's a liability defensively and has been proven to be so too often again this year and I don't think he's great going forward - as a right back.

However, if the question was changed to Enrique or Johnson for the left back slot then I would be only too happy to see Glen play as he's much better on the opposite flank, his defending seems to improve there and Enrique, like Johnson, is another of the vastly overrated players we possess. He too is too slow with the ball when going forward, his defending is shocking at times and his inability to use his right foot is enough to drive me up the wall. The number of times he cuts inside, realises he hasn't got a right foot, tries to turn back to his left and ends up losing the ball is scandalous.

You might of guessed that I don't rate either Johnson or Enrique that highly. And wouldn't lose any sleep if either, or even both, were sold during the summer.

Which makes me wonder just how the F**k we've kept more clean sheets than any other club, bar City, in the League this year.

But back to the actual answer - next year, I'd have Martin Kelly starting every single possible at right back.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: May 13, 2013 01:07:18 pm
      Been done to death this argument and my answer is always the same - Martin Kelly every f**king time. I just don't rate Johnson as a right back, never have and chances are I never will.

His, supposed, attacking threat doesn't cut for me either anymore. I used to believe all that sh*te as well but for this great attacking defender, his ability to cross a ball is f**king awful at times. He wastes too much time trying to go past people and dallying on the ball. Then it takes him a f**king week to get back in position because he just casually jogs rather than busting his balls to make up for his error. And nine times our of ten he ends up in the wrong position when he does get back. He's a liability defensively and has been proven to be so too often again this year and I don't think he's great going forward - as a right back.

However, if the question was changed to Enrique or Johnson for the left back slot then I would be only too happy to see Glen play as he's much better on the opposite flank, his defending seems to improve there and Enrique, like Johnson, is another of the vastly overrated players we possess. He too is too slow with the ball when going forward, his defending is shocking at times and his inability to use his right foot is enough to drive me up the wall. The number of times he cuts inside, realises he hasn't got a right foot, tries to turn back to his left and ends up losing the ball is scandalous.

You might of guessed that I don't rate either Johnson or Enrique that highly. And wouldn't lose any sleep if either, or even both, were sold during the summer.

Which makes me wonder just how the f**k we've kept more clean sheets than any other club, bar City, in the League this year.

But back to the actual answer - next year, I'd have Martin Kelly starting every single possible at right back.

Always loved Kelly as a defender and as an attacker. I totally agree with this as well as the idea of Johnson ahead of Enrique at left back. I'm just gutted about his injury record. But let's hope that the injuries will stop as it has done with Agger and Gerrard.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: May 13, 2013 01:54:02 pm
      Glen Johnson every single day of the week. If Martin Kelly was as amazingly good and Johnson as alarmingly bad as everyone wants to make out, Glen would have been sold years ago and not been a continual starter selected by four different managers at this club.

As it is, and given Kelly's injury record, it's going to continue being Glen Johnson as the starter until Ryan McLaughlin is ready to make senior appearances. He looks the most natural RB out of any of them. Martin is a great second option though, and I'm interested to see him play his natural CB position.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: May 13, 2013 01:54:35 pm
      Been done to death this argument and my answer is always the same - Martin Kelly every f**king time. I just don't rate Johnson as a right back, never have and chances are I never will.

His, supposed, attacking threat doesn't cut for me either anymore. I used to believe all that sh*te as well but for this great attacking defender, his ability to cross a ball is f**king awful at times. He wastes too much time trying to go past people and dallying on the ball. Then it takes him a f**king week to get back in position because he just casually jogs rather than busting his balls to make up for his error. And nine times our of ten he ends up in the wrong position when he does get back. He's a liability defensively and has been proven to be so too often again this year and I don't think he's great going forward - as a right back.

I agree i dont think johnson's delivery is that great and i feel that kelly is a great crosser of the ball! I also feel that he gives 100% every game and busts his balls to get back were johnson is more laidback!

Thats why i think Johnson should play wide with Kelly RB think they would compliment each other!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: May 13, 2013 02:02:59 pm
      Not this again?

I'll have a check back to what I've said every other time it's been asked and (if I can find it) cut n paste a reply.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: May 13, 2013 02:31:07 pm
      Wisdom, with Johnson on the left.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #12: May 13, 2013 02:46:52 pm
      Wisdom, with Johnson on the left.

This was the first thought in my mind when I read the headline of the topic! :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: May 13, 2013 02:48:33 pm
      This was the first thought in my mind when I read the headline of the topic! :)

Kelly can get right for CB.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: May 13, 2013 02:50:14 pm
      Said for a long time that I thought Kelly had the potential to be better than Johnson, certainly more consistent but I also believe he has the chance to develop into a first class centre half.

Considering Brendan already tried to sign him as a centre half they may not be competing against each other too much next season. At the moment though, if Kelly were fit, there'd be no question, Glen has been awful for most of the second half of this season and that's a surprise because I quite like Glen and have to question why there's been such an alarming drop in form. Hopefully we get the Glen back of the start of the season next year because I don't see for one moment Brendan bringing in anyone at right back.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #15: May 13, 2013 02:53:51 pm
      Glen on form is perfect for Brendans system but his form for the past few months has been shocking.

Like Billy I always think he plays better on the left and certainly defends a lot better so I'd play him LB and Kelly or Wisdom RB.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: May 13, 2013 03:03:16 pm
      Glen on form is perfect for Brendans system but his form for the past few months has been shocking.

Like Billy I always think he plays better on the left and certainly defends a lot better so I'd play him LB and Kelly or Wisdom RB.

So Enrique should be dropped even though he has been far better than any of those mentioned this season? Seems a bit harsh.

For me it would depend on who we are playing, where we are playing and our league position at the time. Kelly offers us a stronger defensive option but Johnson offers us a much stronger attacking player who can create chances. Want my honest answer? As an alternative I would play Kelly right back if we sign a strong quality centre back in the summer and play Johnson as part of the front 3 instead of Downing but if we do not sign a quality centre back then this is what I would do (based on the players we have at the moment)...

Reina

Kelly Wisdom Agger Enrique

Lucas
      Gerrard Coutinho

Johnson Sturridge Suarez

Or you could make a case for Kelly and Wisdom swapping positions. I think Johnson offers a lot more in that position than Downing does and it would take a lot of responsibility defensive wise away from Johnson and would give him the license to do what he does best. With Johnson as RW I would play Kelly right back because he seems stronger in that position than Wisdom does.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #17: May 13, 2013 05:08:58 pm
      No way Johnson can play in the right of a front three.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #18: May 13, 2013 05:15:55 pm
      So Enrique should be dropped even though he has been far better than any of those mentioned this season? Seems a bit harsh.

:lmao:

Sorry lad but that's gold. Enrique has been far better than nobody this year, he's been F***ing awful for large parts. He was slaughtered from pillar to post at the start of the season, rightfully so. He got dropped from the starting XI. Then his form picked up, slightly, when asked to play on the left wing  and has dipped off again since moving back to the full back position.

He played one good ball to Suarez against Newcastle and since has decided to try it play every game with very little success.

As I said earlier, Enrique, like Johnson, is one of the vastly overrated players we possess.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #19: May 13, 2013 05:32:58 pm
      :lmao:

Sorry lad but that's gold. Enrique has been far better than nobody this year, he's been f**king awful for large parts. He was slaughtered from pillar to post at the start of the season, rightfully so. He got dropped from the starting XI. Then his form picked up, slightly, when asked to play on the left wing  and has dipped off again since moving back to the full back position.

He played one good ball to Suarez against Newcastle and since has decided to try it play every game with very little success.

As I said earlier, Enrique, like Johnson, is one of the vastly overrated players we possess.

And Kelly isn't? I mean, you have to admit, he gets a lot more hype than Enrique, for example, and surely he'd have displaced Johnson by now?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #20: May 13, 2013 07:16:30 pm
      And Kelly isn't? I mean, you have to admit, he gets a lot more hype than Enrique, for example, and surely he'd have displaced Johnson by now?

During the early parts of the season, Kelly did displace Johnson and in turn Enrique got fu**ed off out the side. Marty has since got a serious injury which is the only reason why Enrique is back in the side. When Kelly has been fit in the last two years, by and large he's played. Kenny and Brendan picked him ahead of Johnson as a right back. The problem is, he's had serious injuries throughout his career even going to back his youth days.

And no, Kelly isn't vastly overrated. He's actually underrated by a lot of Liverpool fans.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #21: May 13, 2013 07:35:40 pm
      During the early parts of the season, Kelly did displace Johnson and in turn Enrique got fu**ed off out the side. Marty has since got a serious injury which is the only reason why Enrique is back in the side. When Kelly has been fit in the last two years, by and large he's played. Kenny and Brendan picked him ahead of Johnson as a right back. The problem is, he's had serious injuries throughout his career even going to back his youth days.

And no, Kelly isn't vastly overrated. He's actually underrated by a lot of Liverpool fans.

Neither of those are true because you've got the order a bit mixed up there. Kelly didn't displace Johnson at all. Enrique being injured or out of form moved Johnson to LB as he's the only player in the squad who can adequately fill-in, so Kelly came in at RB once Johnson gets moved. If we had a legit backup at LB, Glen wouldn't have been moved.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: May 13, 2013 08:30:04 pm
      I don't dislike Johnson, bit I have more faith in Kelly on all fronts.

Here's a better question, how about Johnson as a winger? :f_tongueincheek: >:D

Quick Reply