Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Referee inconsistency....

Read 9853 times
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Referee inconsistency....
      Oct 10, 2007 07:50:51 am
      Why is it that referees tend to be extremely leniant with decisions in, or around the 18yrd box??
      IE: what would normally be given a free kick in the middle of the pitch, would never be given a penalty if it were in the box??

I believe theres alot of inconsistency when it comes to decisions......anyone one agree/disagree??
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Re: Referee inconsistency....
      Reply #1: Oct 10, 2007 08:12:37 am
      Why is it that referees tend to be extremely leniant with decisions in, or around the 18yrd box??
      IE: what would normally be given a free kick in the middle of the pitch, would never be given a penalty if it were in the box??

I believe theres alot of inconsistency when it comes to decisions......anyone one agree/disagree??

Agree: Have to blame the governing bodies for constantly changing the rules, the ball, etc and making the rules too complicated for instant decision-making and leaving some things open to discretion and interpretation.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Oct 10, 2007 10:30:10 am
      I wouldn't say the inconsistencies are so much based on where on the pitch the foul occured, but there are definitely inconsistencies in that what's a penalty in one game isn't the next game.

The key problem seems to be that a ref is often unable to judge on the spot whether a player has dived or not. One way to deal with this is video replays for every penalty decision, but I feel this would slow down the game too much. What I would propose, and I can't understand why the authorities haven't done it already, is to bring in proper penalties for anyone proven after the game to have dived, something like a five match ban. This would soon cut out the diving in the game, and would make it a lot easier for refs to award or decline decisions.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #3: Oct 10, 2007 03:45:46 pm
      Eddie i totally agree with a video replay if it should be a penalty or not....
      However, i think depending on where the contest is on the pitch, the decision varies greatly...
      I remember in the most recent World Cup Final between France and Italy....France would get given the most soft free kicks around the middle of the pitch, but a tougher challenge which is a no doubt foul, would not be given if it was around the 18yrd box- maybe the referee's new the it was scoring range for Zinedine Zidane....i dont know...but i found that game a clear stand out in my memory where the referee inconsistencies do occur on the pitch....
      Also, yes, penalty decisions need alot more consistency across the board....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Oct 10, 2007 05:17:06 pm
      i think that its good that you dont get those soft frre kicks around the 18 yard box, as you would in the middle of the pitch. this would cause too many free kicks, and hense ruin a good game in cases
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #5: Oct 11, 2007 02:12:15 am
      I disagree there...the rules should be the same regardless where the freek kick ocurred. Nothing is more fustrating that seeing that...
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #6: Oct 11, 2007 06:44:28 pm
      I disagree there...the rules should be the same regardless where the freek kick ocurred. Nothing is more fustrating that seeing that...

Na i just personaly like a flowing game with little stopages, if that means different desisions for different areas, so be it
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 11, 2007 07:30:15 pm
      Na i just personaly like a flowing game with little stopages, if that means different desisions for different areas, so be it

I find your point of view bizarre. 

Where do you draw the line? What's a "soft" foul that can be overlooked?

Have you given any regard for how the rules would need to be re-written to accommodate this? What fouls are not fouls if they are committed in such and such a place... etc? You'll need to define the place(s) where fouls are not fouls. You'll need to clarify the fouls that would qualify for this rule. The ref would then not only have to consider if there was a foul, then if it was a "soft foul", and also check to see if it is in the area of the pitch that qualifies...by which time the ball has gone up the other end of the pitch and put in the net... :f_steam:

The rules should be simpler and easier to follow and, more importantly, easy to apply. Your scenario would be a nightmare to implement.

Simple rules mean simple decisions which would be less subject to error and inconsistency.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: Oct 11, 2007 09:38:45 pm
      i didnt say to rewrite the rules, i just dont like a game littered with free-kicks, thats all
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Oct 11, 2007 10:03:55 pm
      I didnt say to rewrite the rules, I just dont like a game littered with free-kicks, thats all

Nobody does. But a foul's a foul. No matter where it's made.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: Oct 11, 2007 10:09:35 pm
      O yea i agree, but i said it all wrong i think, i believe that refs give away too many soft free-kicks basically and if they give a free for a nudge in the penalty area its far worse than a free on the halfway line, i want referees to show more leniansy to fouls basically
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Oct 11, 2007 10:19:38 pm
      O yea I agree, but I said it all wrong I think, I believe that refs give away too many soft free-kicks basically and if they give a free for a nudge in the penalty area its far worse than a free on the halfway line, I want referees to show more leniansy to fouls basically

Well said mate. Understand where you're coming from now.

There is indeed some ridiculous fouls given for hardly anything in the middle of the park these days. It's more of a case for refs being consistant all over the pitch, other than letting valid fouls go if they're commited in a certain area of the pitch though.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #12: Oct 11, 2007 10:23:37 pm
      Another bad this is that it seems harder to set the 2nd yellow card tha the 1st i hate that aswell, if a tackle is yellow cardable offence, then its a yellow card weather you are on your 1st yellow or none at all
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 12, 2007 08:14:38 am
      Another bad this is that it seems harder to set the 2nd yellow card tha the 1st i hate that aswell, if a tackle is yellow cardable offence, then its a yellow card weather you are on your 1st yellow or none at all

Agreed. Refs can be trigger happy with the first yellow and make a rod for their back. They are generally reluctant to send players off, which can then mean, as you point out, the second yellow can be harder to come by.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Oct 12, 2007 10:14:33 am
      if they give a free for a nudge in the penalty area its far worse than a free on the halfway line

If they give a free kick for a nudge in the penalty area they shouldn't be refereeing full stop, it should be a penalty.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #15: Oct 12, 2007 06:27:57 pm
      If they give a free kick for a nudge in the penalty area they shouldn't be refereeing full stop, it should be a penalty.

;D good point eddie, you no what i mean though, what does everyone else think of the yellow card situation i have brought up
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Oct 12, 2007 06:30:14 pm
      Another thing is when they award a pen or free kick which might not have been given,they tend to even things up and give the other team a similar decision.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #17: Oct 12, 2007 06:36:20 pm
      Another thing is when they award a pen or free kick which might not have been given,they tend to even things up and give the other team a similar decision.

yea i was going to say that also but didnt want to bring up too many points, i 100% agree with you though, the ref should not be influenced by anything.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #18: Oct 13, 2007 02:33:38 am
      yea I was going to say that also but didnt want to bring up too many points, I 100% agree with you though, the ref should not be influenced by anything.

Totally agree....they shouldnt be influenced, or they shouldnt feel obligated to 'even things up'- especially for a soft free-kick....it ruins the mood of the game. The decisions and rulling should be black and white, and in times of uncertainty they should do a video review with a third referee (just like they do in cricket, and the third referee for a decision in rugby)....that way it allows for no error in any penalty decisions, however, it can be a time consuming process.....but they can give a time limit like 30 seconds to come up with a decision based on the video replay.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Oct 13, 2007 10:30:40 am
      Totally agree....they shouldnt be influenced, or they shouldnt feel obligated to 'even things up'- especially for a soft free-kick....it ruins the mood of the game. The decisions and rulling should be black and white, and in times of uncertainty they should do a video review with a third referee (just like they do in cricket, and the third referee for a decision in rugby)....that way it allows for no error in any penalty decisions, however, it can be a time consuming process.....but they can give a time limit like 30 seconds to come up with a decision based on the video replay.

A time limit on video decisions would definitely be a good idea. The main objection to video refereeing is that the game would lose it's flow, but is there any decision these days that doesn't have at least 30 seconds of arguing by the team the decision's gone against?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #20: Oct 13, 2007 04:55:04 pm
      Even if there is someone looking at replays, most of us can tell using the 1st reply if it is, or is not a goal, that takes less than 30 seconds, so yes, this is an excellent idea (but only for goals, and maybe penalties but that is all)
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #21: Oct 14, 2007 03:14:01 am
      Maybe for goals and penalties....offside is a real tough one as the play continues, as you couldnt stop the game to allow for third referee's decision, and then restart play where the ball was stopped. The only way around this would be to allow play to go on, and then after the goal has been scored/missed you could call upon a third referee....but that would just ruin the game a hell of a lot
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #22: Oct 14, 2007 08:44:25 am
      Maybe for goals and penalties....offside is a real tough one as the play continues, as you couldnt stop the game to allow for third referee's decision, and then restart play where the ball was stopped. The only way around this would be to allow play to go on, and then after the goal has been scored/missed you could call upon a third referee....but that would just ruin the game a hell of a lot

Don't agree it would ruin the game, Scouser - I think it is a good idea. If there isn't a goal, it won't matter, but after a 'goal', they could double-check. There could be a "challenge", as they have in the NFL, but only so many and in certain circumstances, like off-side instead of a goal.

Quick Reply