Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Referee inconsistency....

Read 9858 times
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 430 posts | -12 
      Re: Referee inconsistency....
      Reply #23: Oct 14, 2007 03:43:34 pm
      Yeah, similar to tennis how each player has 3 chances to ask for a video review if they are unhappy with the umpires decision....
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #24: Oct 15, 2007 12:28:13 pm
      sorry have to disagree, Refs have a hard job, they need to pick under the pressure from the players and the crowd, however i would be for this idea of the challenges, but it would slow the game down which is a huge problem
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #25: Oct 15, 2007 12:48:46 pm
      it would slow the game down which is a huge problem

As I said in my previous post, I'm not sure how much it would actually slow the game down when you take into account the amount of time players spend whinging about a decision before play resumes. It's quite often a couple of minutes after a contentious decision, especially if it's Chelsea on the receiving end of it.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #26: Oct 15, 2007 07:57:07 pm
      Possibly there should be a video ref in constatnt touch with the real ref, if he see's something then he can allert teh attention of the real ref, who would award what ever is deemed appropriate
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #27: Oct 15, 2007 08:28:12 pm
      As I said in my previous post, I'm not sure how much it would actually slow the game down when you take into account the amount of time players spend whinging about a decision before play resumes. It's quite often a couple of minutes after a contentious decision, especially if it's Chelsea on the receiving end of it.

Quite so. Also, these decisions won't take long, and they won't be necessary that often.

Started to realise all the sports that have something like this now: American Football, rugby, tennis, even cricket has the 3rd umpire for run-outs.

Time is often part of the reason the refs get the decisions wrong in the first place. A few extra minutes a game to prevent storms of protest and controversy afterwards would be well worth it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28: Oct 16, 2007 12:02:17 pm
      I'm not sure if it could be done or has ever even been proposed before but what about having a Ref in each half of the pitch? You'd still have the linesmen who ruled when the ball goes out of play and offsides but for the major decisions like penalty claims we'd have a Ref pretty much right on the spot. Instead of having to catch up with the play, when it's been bombed forward, for example or even a quick counter attack having a Ref in each half, I think would eliminate the need to go to a video ref, which like said before would slow up the game and stop the flow of the game.

I don't think it will happen, it's only a suggestion to get rid of Referees inconsistency....anyone got any thoughts?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #29: Oct 16, 2007 12:29:52 pm
      I think the first game of the season should have 38 refs, and then after every game they should nominate two refs to be up for eviction. The public can vote by phone or text (calls cost 60p per minute from a BT landline, not all calls will be successful but all calls will be charged) as to which ref should be evicted. Over the course of the season we would whittle the numbers down so eventually on the last day of the season we will have just the 'Ref Idol' in charge.

No-one will be able to argue his decisions as they will have voted for him. Simple when you think about it ;D
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #30: Oct 16, 2007 12:33:39 pm
      I'm not sure if it could be done or has ever even been proposed before but what about having a Ref in each half of the pitch? You'd still have the linesmen who ruled when the ball goes out of play and offsides but for the major decisions like penalty claims we'd have a Ref pretty much right on the spot. Instead of having to catch up with the play, when it's been bombed forward, for example or even a quick counter attack having a Ref in each half, I think would eliminate the need to go to a video ref, which like said before would slow up the game and stop the flow of the game.

I don't think it will happen, it's only a suggestion to get rid of Referees inconsistency....anyone got any thoughts?

Nah. More confusion. Who controls what? What about playing advantage in the middle of the pitch? More scope for inconsistency: one ref calls a foul and the other doesn't for the same thing. Technology would be a much better way to go.

As for EddieC's idea, presumably the cost of the call will go to EddieC's Private Enterprises Inc?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Oct 16, 2007 12:42:53 pm
      Nah. More confusion. Who controls what? What about playing advantage in the middle of the pitch? More scope for inconsistency: one ref calls a foul and the other doesn't for the same thing. Technology would be a much better way to go.

Good thinking Jammy, I never really put much thought into it, just threw it up as a suggestion. Thanks for shooting me down ;)
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #32: Oct 16, 2007 03:46:54 pm
      Good thinking Jammy, I never really put much thought into it, just threw it up as a suggestion. Thanks for shooting me down ;)

Pleasure. Now, where's my spare ammo clip...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #33: Oct 16, 2007 09:01:50 pm
      Pleasure. Now, where's my spare ammo clip...

I beleive you used it to pay to eliminate Rob Styles ;D
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #34: Oct 16, 2007 09:17:36 pm
      I beleive you used it to pay to eliminate Rob Styles ;D

Not me...and with an ammo clip?

Must have been hollow-point with a gold jacket, otherwise that's a very cheap deal.   >:D

Mind you, I suppose that would be one way to concentrate the ref's mind. Make all other distractions meaningless.
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #35: Oct 17, 2007 05:30:54 pm
      I think the first game of the season should have 38 refs, and then after every game they should nominate two refs to be up for eviction. The public can vote by phone or text (calls cost 60p per minute from a BT landline, not all calls will be successful but all calls will be charged) as to which ref should be evicted. Over the course of the season we would whittle the numbers down so eventually on the last day of the season we will have just the 'Ref Idol' in charge.

No-one will be able to argue his decisions as they will have voted for him. Simple when you think about it ;D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Quick Reply