Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?

Yes
      7 (29.2%)
      No
      16 (66.7%)
      I care more about how much money we spend
      1 (4.2%)
      I really don't care
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2013 08:26:48 pm

Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?

Read 10373 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?
      May 14, 2013 12:37:11 pm
      Obviously we don't know how the squad will look be the start of next season, the quality of the signings will be a big factor in deciding shaping our expectations for the coming season, but would 5th place be good enough for YOU?
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Re: Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?
      Reply #1: May 14, 2013 12:43:56 pm
      If spurs get top four this year its going to be extremely difficult next year to get top four. The only good thing for us next year is the top three teams will all be under new management and hopefully this will cause them to be a bit inconsistent due to new playing styles. On the other hand thy all have better squads than us. Add to this arsenal seem like they are going to splash the cash its going to be very difficult to break into the top four imo. It all depends on who we sign aswel i suppose but i think its going to be difficult. Il be dissapointed if we dont break into the top four but if we finish 5th i wont be calling for the gaffers head.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #2: May 14, 2013 02:37:52 pm
      If we are fighting for the 4th position and narrowly missing out in it. Then yes.

Top 4 should be the aim IMO.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3: May 14, 2013 02:46:37 pm
      If spurs get top four this year its going to be extremely difficult next year to get top four.

If Spurs get top four this year it may mean no top four for us next year, but I think it could be better for us in the long run.

Bale is eventually going to leave.  If United or Barca or Madrid come calling, he's off. 

Arsenal though are always a draw for players, and if rumours are true then they could be getting Jovetic and/or Higuain this summer, which would be absolutely huge for them.  Without CL, though, they might not get those players and maybe they slump a little next season.  Then, once Bale leaves Spurs, they'll slump, giving us the opportunity to take advantage and take one of those spots if we focus and get in the right players.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: May 14, 2013 02:47:28 pm
      No way 2nd place is failure lets not forget that never mind 5th
      Do we want to be another Arsenal??

I hate that mentality we will never win anything ever again with it.
      If we don't think we can go and win or bloody compete what's the point?

Just look at Wigan on saturday believe they preached & fair play them they did.

Lots of big changes at the big clubs next season & we could take advantage with some luck..
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: May 14, 2013 03:05:15 pm
      No it wouldn't.  We should be aiming for the Title.

If we win on Sunday we'll have increased our points total by 9 on last season, the same improvement next season would give us 70 points which won't get CL this season.  We took 28 points upto the end of Dec and 37 points since the beginning of Jan (if we win on Sunday).  Bollocks I've added them up wrong but can't be arsed redoing it!

Even if we maintain our current form we'll still only be on for 74 points next season and seeing as Brendan says he expects much bigger improvements for next season why the hell would we accept 5th place.

2nd or 3rd I'd accept as sufficient improvement but definitely not 5th.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #6: May 14, 2013 03:07:03 pm
      Last season I was so excited about Kenny's first full season that i allow myself to dare that we could actually fight for the league. Even though it turned out not as desired, it's what Kenny has and gave that matters still at the start, inspiration. I'm not inspired with the start of next season but i expect progress with a challenge and qualification eventually for the CL, nothing less. Next season is THE battle and i hope Brendan and the team will be ready and will eventually exceed any reasonable expectations and make everyone happy and proud at the end. YNWA :kop5cf8koxp6:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: May 14, 2013 03:13:35 pm
      I think the problem is that we just don't know who we're bringing in in the summer. If we land a good CB but not any cover/challenge for Lucas and not a high enough quality winger, then I can't see us breaking into the top 3. You have to remember too that Chelsea will definitely improve, and although I think Moyes is a bit of joke, United still have enough quality to finish 3rd. City too, regardless of who they hire.

The fight for 4/5/6 is where we'll be. And before we can even think about that, we need to first make our squad closer to Spurs and Arsenal in terms of talent. A few more additions like Coutinho and Sturridge, and maybe we can put up a real fight.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #8: May 14, 2013 03:22:08 pm
      Loaded question.  It all depends on how we play, how our youngsters continue to develop, and if we are truly continuously improving.  If we play well and manage to get the likes of Kelly, Wisdom, Robo, Suso, Sterling, Coutinho, Shelvey, etc all playing well together, then I'd say a 5th place finish is progress because there will be signs of further improvement moving forward due to the age of many of our players.  If none of the aforementioned youngsters really take their chances and have minimal impact on our season, then perhaps we do not really have as much to be hopeful for moving forward as we thought we did. 

It is all about building for the future, and that starts and finishes with our ability to nurture the young talent in the academy/reserves and successfully bring them into the 1st team.  If we can bring two players into the 1st team from the academy each year, then we will be able to focus our future transfer dealings on improving quality instead of increasing squad depth. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: May 14, 2013 03:23:43 pm
      No.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #10: May 14, 2013 03:25:08 pm
      and although I think Moyes is a bit of joke, United still have enough quality to finish 3rd.

Now, this is  :lmao: . Not sure how you meant it but it is unheard of and hope it becomes true and downward spiral for them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #11: May 14, 2013 03:28:22 pm
      Only top four would be satisfactory improvement for me.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #12: May 14, 2013 03:35:08 pm
      I take it Dunlop hasn't seen this yet. the answer is definitely NO.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #13: May 14, 2013 03:35:12 pm
      Now, this is  :lmao: . Not sure how you meant it but it is unheard of and hope it becomes true and downward spiral for them.

What do you mean? I don't think Moyes is that good of a manager to win the title, but just based on sheer talent, United can still finish top 3 in spite of him. Granted, I hope to God they don't! But just being realistic, they're a good side.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #14: May 14, 2013 03:42:18 pm
      If we are fighting for the 4th position and narrowly missing out in it. Then yes.

Top 4 should be the aim IMO.

I'm with Arrie here. If we get 5th but have been battling for 4th all season then fifth IS good enough for me. We are up against scum, city, chavs, Arsenal and spurs.... 6 into 4 doesnt go. If we can compete with these teams thats an improvement for me cause at the moment we are nowhere near them.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #15: May 14, 2013 03:53:05 pm
      Every season should see the title as the aim not top4/5/6. Ok it's been a while since we had a sweat all the way to the end of may as to the finishing post,but we are who we are and have to believe every season. If you don't bother aiming for top spot don't bother at all.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #16: May 14, 2013 03:53:47 pm
      No excuses for next season, Rodgers has had his learning curve and next seasonis about winning the league with a good shout in the 2 domestic cups being we have no European competition as a distraction not that it was a distraction for Rodgers predecessors.

Title it is.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #17: May 14, 2013 03:57:25 pm
      No excuses for next season, Rodgers has had his learning curve and next seasonis about winning the league with a good shout in the 2 domestic cups being we have no European competition as a distraction not that it was a distraction for Rodgers predecessors.

Title it is.

Good to see our expectations are not unrealistic....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #18: May 14, 2013 03:57:39 pm

Title it is.

;D We didn't even come close to competing for the title last year, a season in which we also didn't have "European competition as a distraction." While I love the optimism, you're only setting yourself up for major disappointment because we still have some ways to go before we can even adequately challenge for the title. Challenge for a CL spot would be much more realistic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: May 14, 2013 04:18:05 pm

Title it is.

Strange as you probably never gave Kenny those high expectations when he was managing us with no European competition to compete in.

But I'm glad you think Rodgers is capable of getting us to challenge for the title. What a wizard that guy is eh!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: May 14, 2013 04:27:17 pm
      I feel this is slightly distorted by what you expected this year. Personally I don't see 7th as the progress some are trying to paint it as, I expected us to get a lot closer to 4th, especially considering our pathetic cup performances.

So when you ask would 5th be enough progress you need to quantify for what? For Brendan to keep his job, yes I believe 5th would keep him his job, do I think it's the kind of progress we should be making, no I don't. While I think we've no chance of breaking into the top 3 I would like to see us making considerable ground up on them and secure 4th as a bare minimum. Anything below 4th I would see as a failure to progress at all from even last year as I would have expected 4th this year had I known our cup performances.

Enough progress to make me happy though only involves winning things, I see 4th as only a stepping stone to winning the title and wouldn't be 'happy' with accepting 4th if offered to me now.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #21: May 14, 2013 04:32:11 pm
      To be honest we have fallen so far from challenging in just under 4 years that yes for me a fighting 5th next year would be progress.

2010 - 7th - 63 pts
      2011 - 6th - 58 pts
      2012 - 8th - 52 pts
      2013 - 7th - 61 pts

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: May 14, 2013 04:32:42 pm
      City, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea are the teams we'll have to pip to 5th. Now the money being pumped into those teams to get into 4th is crazy (barring Arsenal who always find a way to do it year in year out). If BR gets the same resources as these guys then we'll have to look at a minimum of 5th place. With the points difference between 5th and 4th so low in the last few years... I'd be content with that next year.

Quick Reply