Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?

Yes
      7 (29.2%)
      No
      16 (66.7%)
      I care more about how much money we spend
      1 (4.2%)
      I really don't care
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2013 08:26:48 pm

Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?

Read 10374 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?
      Reply #92: May 15, 2013 09:45:21 pm
      It would be progress simply because we havent been that high for 3 seasons, facts are facts

Enough progress? Well we have a lot to do to catch the 2 manc and 3 London clubs. Heart says we will break top 4 next season. Head says maybe a season to soon but be right in the mix and win a cup
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #93: May 15, 2013 10:15:02 pm
      Think that we have a realistic chance of reaching the top 4 or 5th place, with some of the talent in the side. Had a very poor start to the season, with only 2 points from the opening five games.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #94: May 16, 2013 07:55:20 pm
      Look, football has changed so much in the last 5 years that it's really difficult to catch up with United, Chelsea and City, they have the money and find more consistency because they have the power. Whether people like it or not, at this moment in time it would be a great effort to get into the top 4 next season. It's the reality of the situation, I don't like it and neither should any of us, but, the teams above us (except Everton) will have the pick of the best players out there and it,s a waiting game to see if Brendan can get players who can fit into the style he is introducing. One hell of a job and it's going to test him like never before. Yes we can match any team in the prem on the day, but over a full season? difficult to say the least but I have hope in my heart  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      We will find it tough to compete for overseas players with Chelsea, City and The Scum, but we should be able to compete with Spurs. The Liverpool name is still enough to draw good players even without European football.
      Our first couple of signings will probably tell us what we can expect this summer, they must be better than what we already have.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #95: May 16, 2013 08:13:40 pm
      I'd be very sad if 5th place was an improvement to us , actually why don't we just pull down our trousers and let them all bugger us .
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #96: May 16, 2013 08:36:06 pm
      I honestly think that the situation our club is in at the moment, finishing fifth would be progress next season.

But finishing lower than first is never enough.

There's no hiding away from the fact that we are quite far away from finishing first these days, though. Our aim next season should be to finish as high as our little young legs can take us. Landing in a European spot should be the least of our aspirations.

Poll added.

scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #97: May 16, 2013 08:40:28 pm
      Yes 5th place would be an improvement if we're looking at the positions we've finished in the last 4 years. But 5th still isn't satisfactory for me personally, I'm a firm believer in aim high and see what happens. Aim for the title, and if that doesn't happen we'll settle for the Champions League.

Aim for Champions League football and we'll play like a 6th/7th positioned team striving to get the Champions League, or we'll be in a comfortable top 4 spot and get complacent because we've 'achieved our target'. Aim for the highest possible finish, we should make Anfield a fortress again which would help. Aim for 19 wins at home at least, on our day we can beat anyone in our famous ground with our fantastic support... then pick up a fair amount away. Easier said than done mind you.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #98: May 16, 2013 08:50:10 pm
      I just voted NO,I will never accept any position other than 1st as progress.It breaks my heart when I think of what was to what is.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #99: May 16, 2013 09:13:06 pm
      I think its good that nobody wants to accept less than 1st place, I would also hope a dose of understanding (which I think there would be) if it does not happen and depending on how we finish.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #100: May 17, 2013 06:23:55 pm
      "Would a 5th place finish be enough progress next season?"

Well it might be... if we finish 5th, on 82 points, three points behind the Champions (for example) or it might not be... if we finish 5th, on 62 points, thirty-three points behind the Champions.  ;)

Forget League "position" - that really means nothing, in as, it is as much a reflection of how others have fared [failed/improved] as it is how we stand in our own right.

Like I said in November... It's all relative.  :angel:

ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #101: May 19, 2013 09:58:32 pm
      Could be setting myself up for for a fall, but with Spurs missing out on Champions league money, I have a little more optimism in our top 4 chances. I believe in our Boys and manager to learn from our mistakes. Steps will be taken to sort out our vulnerability from set pieces and crosses (hopefully) and BR will know what players he needs to suit his tactics.
      I'm already looking forward to next season.

Quick Reply