Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship

Read 13874 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship
      Reply #46: Jun 11, 2013 06:39:46 pm
      Bloody hell. A pure laughing stock are England now. Players and coaching staff and indeed the FA will be wearing paper bags over their heads from this day forth.

Also it doesn't please me in the slightest that Shelvey and Henderson have been part of this mess either.
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013 06:59:44 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #47: Jun 11, 2013 07:01:00 pm
      Bloody hell. A pure laughing stock are England now. Players and coaching staff and indeed the FA will be wearing paper bags over their heads from this day forth.

Whilst ever they insist on employing old school coaches with no worthwhile International experience, they will get exactly what they deserve. 

They keep whinging about young English players not getting a look in with their respective Clubs in the EPL, then when they get called up for the National team they expect them to learn something from coaches who know f**k all.

I bet our lads who have been coached by the likes of Rodolfo wonder what the f**k they've gone to.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #48: Jun 11, 2013 07:05:56 pm
      Whilst ever they insist on employing old school coaches with no worthwhile International experience, they will get exactly what they deserve. 

They keep whinging about young English players not getting a look in with their respective Clubs in the EPL, then when they get called up for the National team they expect them to learn something from coaches who know f**k all.

I bet our lads who have been coached by the likes of Rodolfo wonder what the f**k they've gone to.

Backwards, primitive....pure awful. I genuinely wonder what the hell the likes of Stuart Pearce, Roy Hodgson and Ray Lewington (f**king Ray Lewington?!) tell their players on the training ground.

edit: And to be fair on him this is why I have immense respect for Brendan Rodgers who, as a British manager, breaks the trend for other British coaches by wanting his teams to be innovative, creative and of a good standard technically. In that respect he is the anti Roy Hodgson/Stuart Pearce.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Jun 11, 2013 07:22:59 pm
      Backwards, primitive....pure awful. I genuinely wonder what the hell the likes of Stuart Pearce, Roy Hodgson and Ray Lewington (f**king Ray Lewington?!) tell their players on the training ground.

edit: And to be fair on him this is why I have immense respect for Brendan Rodgers who, as a British manager, breaks the trend for other British coaches by wanting his teams to be innovative, creative and of a good standard technically. In that respect he is the anti Roy Hodgson/Stuart Pearce.

They make good players look bad with their archaic methods mate.  Surely to god someone at the FA can see this and make changes from the bottom up.

I agree with your points on Brendan too, he's certainly bucking the trend against the stereotypical British football coach. 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #50: Jun 11, 2013 11:59:40 pm
      I am sorry don't think sitting here blaming Woy or Pearce is the way to go about it.

For me the reality is the whole youth set up is flawed and this should be a wake up call to the way football is structured and operated in England. Simply enough the players are not good enough in addition over paid and over hyped by the English media, funnily enough very few reported on the embarrassment and debacle of the U-21's.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: Jun 12, 2013 02:47:58 am
      I am sorry don't think sitting here blaming Woy or Pearce is the way to go about it.

For me the reality is the whole youth set up is flawed and this should be a wake up call to the way football is structured and operated in England. Simply enough the players are not good enough in addition over paid and over hyped by the English media, funnily enough very few reported on the embarrassment and debacle of the U-21's.

I don't think we're blaming Pearce or Hodgson. We're blaming that culture which seems to continuously puts these ill equipped and poor managers on a pedestal that is considered good enough. It's the same culture that says 'F**k those foreigners we'll do it our way'. But the English way isn't good enough. Hodgson is the epitome of that failure and he and the FA go hand in hand perfectly. Rather than being coached by Grade A UEFA coaches the kids (and the seniors) are getting coached by Grade A morons. The coaching culture is god awful. As you rightly point out the national youth setup is fu**ed up and non existent compared to the setups seen in the likes of Spain and Germany where the national bodies in those countries take a hands on role in the development of youth. Th
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #52: Jun 12, 2013 03:03:54 am
      I don't think we're blaming Pearce or Hodgson. We're blaming that culture which seems to continuously puts these ill equipped and poor managers on a pedestal that is considered good enough. It's the same culture that says 'f**k those foreigners we'll do it our way'. But the English way isn't good enough. Hodgson is the epitome of that failure and he and the FA go hand in hand perfectly. Rather than being coached by Grade A UEFA coaches the kids (and the seniors) are getting coached by Grade A morons. The coaching culture is god awful. As you rightly point out the national youth setup is fu**ed up and non existent compared to the setups seen in the likes of Spain and Germany where the national bodies in those countries take a hands on role in the development of youth. Th

Agree there with you.

I made specific mention to Hodgson and Pearce in relation to this particular championship only. The talent should have been there to do better then they did.

The problem lies deeper then these two as you rightly pointed out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Jun 12, 2013 10:35:40 am
      B teams, or a loan system that allows a sporting partnership between clubs, would allow teams to focus more on technical development of players.
      Replace the win now mentality with a genuine want to develop players and the entire football community of England would benefit.

Exhibit A:

rondo espana
      Spain U21 V Russia U21
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Jun 12, 2013 11:01:05 am
      This stat probably explains why England are unable to compete with other European countries.

In 2010 only 2,769 English coaches held Uefa's B, A and Pro badges.  Whereas Spain had 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,790.

Until this is addressed England will continue to fall further behind.

Also not sure if this is also a problem but there were quite a few U21's who could have played in this tournament but didn't because they were with the senior squad playing friendlies.

xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #55: Jun 15, 2013 09:01:31 pm
      BORINI!!!

Lovely goal from the lad. Touch, turn and finish.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10xiy8_ita-1-0-hol_sport#.UbzKXfnrwVU
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #56: Jun 16, 2013 05:10:07 am
      Great point reddebs.
      Never realized that the imbalance if coaching standards was quite that bad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #57: Jun 16, 2013 02:23:28 pm
      This stat probably explains why England are unable to compete with other European countries.

In 2010 only 2,769 English coaches held Uefa's B, A and Pro badges.  Whereas Spain had 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,790.

Also not sure if this is also a problem but there were quite a few U21's who could have played in this tournament but didn't because they were with the senior squad playing friendlies.

No surprise Debs especially when the other three countrie's FA's are prepared to pay to set up courses for new coaches and have been doing for at least the last few years.

The FA are only now getting this sorted with the opening of that new St Georges Park.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #58: Jun 16, 2013 02:57:11 pm
      No surprise Debs especially when the other three countrie's FA's are prepared to pay to set up courses for new coaches and have been doing for at least the last few years.

The FA are only now getting this sorted with the opening of that new St Georges Park.

As far as I'm aware most Sports Science college courses have coaching qualifications in the curriculum.  My son completed his BTec in 2005 and he's qualified to U18's for Football and U16's for cricket which he uses voluntarily for his local teams.  I also worked at a hairdressers in Barnsley in the early 2000's where all of Barnsley's academy players came for their hair cut and they all studied Sports Science as part of their training.  The idea being that if they didn't make it as a pro player they had qualifications to fall back on.  I'm sure most Academy's do this.

What I'm trying to say is, there must be thousands of people in their mid to late 20's who have completed some FA Coaching badges.  Surely it wouldn't take too much investment to fast track them through the system.  It's not like they'd (the FA) have to start from scratch.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #59: Jun 16, 2013 11:21:31 pm
      When's the final on?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #60: Jun 16, 2013 11:26:15 pm

That's a shocking statistic but well spotted Debs. As a coach myself, the main issue I have over the coaching badges are the costs. I would love to do the badges as I am keen to learn. However, the prices are ridiculous, even for the level 1 badge, in which you basically turn up and they give you the certificate.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #61: Jun 18, 2013 04:01:23 pm
      Final on at 7!

Italy U21: Bardi; Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Regini; Florenzi, Rossi, Verratti, Insigne; Immobile, Borini

Italy bench: Leali, Colombi, Biraghi, Capuano, Marrone, Bertolacci, Crimi, Gabbiadini, Destro, Sansone, Paloschi, Saponara

Spain U21: De Gea; Montoya, Bartra, Inigo Martinez, Moreno; Koke, Illarramendi, Thiago Alcantara; Tello, Morata, Isco

Spain bench: Marino, Joel, Nacho, Marc Muniesa, Alvaro, Carvajal, Camacho, Sarabia, Rodrigo, Muniain, Alvaro Vazquez
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #62: Jun 18, 2013 05:29:10 pm
      Final on at 7!

Italy U21: Bardi; Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Regini; Florenzi, Rossi, Verratti, Insigne; Immobile, Borini

Italy bench: Leali, Colombi, Biraghi, Capuano, Marrone, Bertolacci, Crimi, Gabbiadini, Destro, Sansone, Paloschi, Saponara

Spain U21: De Gea; Montoya, Bartra, Inigo Martinez, Moreno; Koke, Illarramendi, Thiago Alcantara; Tello, Morata, Isco

Spain bench: Marino, Joel, Nacho, Marc Muniesa, Alvaro, Carvajal, Camacho, Sarabia, Rodrigo, Muniain, Alvaro Vazquez

Is it F**k, already kicked off!!!

2-1 Spain. Just caught the Alacantra goal.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #63: Jun 18, 2013 05:29:38 pm
      Thiago and Isco are bossing the game.  Some players.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #64: Jun 18, 2013 05:33:22 pm
      And that's a pen! Tello brought down.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #65: Jun 18, 2013 05:33:53 pm
      3-1 Hattrick for Alacantra
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #66: Jun 18, 2013 05:50:11 pm
      Is it f**k, already kicked off!!!

2-1 Spain. Just caught the Alacantra goal.
      My bad. That was local time :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #67: Jun 18, 2013 05:58:34 pm

Hahaha don't worry, was watching LFCTV at the time and clocked the convo in the Borini thread!

Quick Reply