Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

What would Bill and Bob think of our owners, manager, players, supporters today?

Read 3123 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      What would Bill and Bob think of our owners, manager, players, supporters today?
      May 15, 2013 10:01:59 am
      I was reading through some of my old programmes and I got to wondering what would Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley think of our club today.When Bill arrived in 1959 he said Liverpool Football Club was a sleeping giant just waiting to be woken up.What would he think of the fact that the giant has had a relapse and been asleep for over 20 years.What would he think of our current owners after he had T.V. Williams as our chairman and directors who were shareholders in L.F.C. and more to the point were shareholders because of their love of the club.What woul;d he think of the players who wear our RED ,would some of them have had the determination and skill to get into a Bill Shankly team.What would he think of our manager,would Brendan have fitted into the Bill Shankly way of running the club.Lastly what would he think of our supporters who think 5th place in the league is progress
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2013 11:13:03 pm by JD »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: What would Bill and Bob think of our owners,manager,players,supporters today.
      Reply #1: May 15, 2013 10:25:42 am
      I think football in general would disgust them. Football back then was pure, it was about playing your heart out for the love of the game and being loyal to your team and manager, you only left the club if your manager though it was best. There no money men with little or no intrest in the sport calling the shots, the best teams attracted the best players, money wasn't the main factor.
      I believe Shanks would understand the rebuilding job needed to get us back to the top, and give BR his backing.
      RIP the bosses!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Re: What would Bill and Bob think of our owners,manager,players,supporters today.
      Reply #2: May 15, 2013 10:44:10 am
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      I don't agree at all i think Shankly for sure would look at the players the training ground
      The facilities in general & think to himself this is fantastic lets go out & win the league.

That's part of what makes the greats the greats.
      Shankly would love to be taking over at Melwood tomorrow he would have a field day IMO
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #3: May 15, 2013 10:45:58 am
      Excellent topic Billy, the game has changed in every respect since the days of the two greatest servants of the club; from the commercial infrastructure to the actual style of play and tactics therein, even the concept of support bears no comparison to the heaving, living mass that was the Kop.
      Improvement is relative and while some would say the technical and logistical advances are worth the sacrifice others would argue that footy has become too sanitised, too clinical and lacks some of the emotion of yesteryear.
      Some changes were inevitable and we don't need reminding of their causes, others were purely commercially orientated and have been to the detriment of the game in general.
      I think both Mr Paisley and Mr Shankly would look upon the team now as a job in progress and would be chomping at the bit to 'have a go', they couldn't have been doing with any financial constraints and if anyone didn't pull their weight in their eyes, they would be gone, after saying that both managers used the threat of 'splinters in your arse' to great effect and favourites were dropped on occasion.
      Maybe they wouldn't understand the restraints and compromise that BR is subject to but after a canny appraisal I believe they would have given our man their total support.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: May 15, 2013 10:47:33 am
      Adapt or fade away.  I think they'd adapt.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2013 10:57:00 am
      Adapt or fade away.  I think they'd adapt.

Why adapt when the structure for success was in place and left for generations to enjoy after? It's only having weak self centred people running the club has caused the decline of it,it's that simple.

If they were still with us it scares to think what we could have gone onto achieve, we need a change of course in Menatlity.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: May 15, 2013 11:06:58 am
      Why adapt when the structure for success was in place and left for generations to enjoy after? It's only having weak self centred people running the club has caused the decline of it,it's that simple.

If they were still with us it scares to think what we could have gone onto achieve, we need a change of course in Menatlity.

Because things have changed Shabs, some for the better, some for the worst.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #7: May 15, 2013 11:52:39 am
      I think the key to their success is that they were both forward thinking and innovative in terms of modern training methods and tactical nous.   And they were both outstanding at spotting and honing potential talent for the future.  By definiton of their winning mentality they would have adapted to the changing times.  Fundamentally the game is still about winning matches. They were both very good at that and there is no reason to think they would not have achieved success in todays premiership because they were fantastic at their job.  Would they have felt offended and slightly disconnected like I do at the weekly salaries paid to players?  My guess is yes.  Would that have lessened their desire to move forward and win trophies? Not a chance in my opinion.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,425 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #8: May 15, 2013 12:37:20 pm
      No doubt a chance for someone to trot out the old 'Shankly must be spinning in his grave' line. Football has changed so much since their day nad most of it for the worst, I'm sure they would just shake their heads and try to adapt.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,249 posts | 2819 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: May 15, 2013 01:27:35 pm
      They were never fans of teh board being involved in an ything other then signing cheques so whatever about Henry they'd fooking hate Ayres.

They would have a pain in there arse too with some supporters who only pis* and moan about things and are not heard when something good happens and Im sure they'd be less tehn impressed with those taking uo seats who could give 2 sh*tes whats actually going on in front of them, on the bloody mobile phone instead of getting behind the team!

Cant see them having a bad word about the manager, why would they? Bob wasnt far wrong with the "first is first second is nowhere2 comment but he was with Bill when they were finishing below first many times and both would be aware of the job in hand to change a team from 7th best to best.

Overall Id say they'd despise the game today with the money involved and the softness in the game now. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #10: May 15, 2013 01:37:00 pm
      Must be looking down at our current custodians & Manger laughing...amateurs.

Damping down of expectations needs to stop otherwise it will become acceptable to become a mediocre club.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: May 15, 2013 01:47:16 pm
      Must be looking down at our current custodians & Manger laughing...amateurs.

Damping down of expectations needs to stop otherwise it will become acceptable to become a mediocre club.

Our owners seem to be reading that path mate intentionally or not.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: May 15, 2013 02:10:50 pm
      Hard to say what Shanks and Bob would think of everything. The game is soooooooo much different in the sense that:

1.) There's a lot more money involved
      2.) There's a sh*t ton of media, players on social media, etc
      3.) Players are getting paid staggering amounts (as are staff, in fairness)
      4.) The best players in the league are from overseas
      5.) Scotland doesn't produce good players anymore
      6.) The game is much softer than in their day
      7.) There has been incredible progress in sports science and medicine, the diet of players, etc.
      8.) We no longer wear short shorts ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: May 15, 2013 04:49:12 pm
      Good Topic Billy.
      Thats needs some thought.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: May 15, 2013 07:01:48 pm
      Our owners seem to be reading that path mate intentionally or not.
      why do so many people accept this damping down though.
      Shankly and Bob or either would still be winners today no doubt about it. There is only one acceptable position for this club and it isn't a top four position its THE TOP POSITION.
      .Shankly in particular would have made sure the owners new their place and their responsibility.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: May 15, 2013 08:13:08 pm
      Shankly in particular would have made sure the owners new their place and their responsibility.

Problem with that mate is Rafa was the same, he wanted and fought for what us fans wanted and some sh*te hawks turned on him quicker than a rabid dog, using his ongoing arguments with the tw*ts that were bleeding the club dry to justify their reasons.

I still shake my head at the stupid cu*ts.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: May 15, 2013 11:09:02 pm
      Hard to say what Shanks and Bob would think of everything. The game is soooooooo much different in the sense that:

Though the game has changed over the years it does not mean that the policy of Liverpool Football Club should of changed from being winners to also rans.This club was the envy of every club in Europe and when a European league was being touted we were lined up as in the top 12 clubs to be part of this league.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: What would Bill and Bob think of our owners, manager, players, supporters today?
      Reply #17: May 15, 2013 11:31:03 pm
      Bill and Bob would both expect the owners to do nothing more than sign the cheques, Ayre would be an abomination they wouldn't tolerate.

Our Manager I think they'd like if I'm honest but that's simply a personal opinion of Brendan. They would have a few harsh lessons for him on expectations though.

Players they'd be disgusted with the lack of respect some of them show the shirt and many of them would have already been sent packing.

Supporters they'd still think they were the heart of the club and would just need a bit of guidance on where we come from and what we should expect, because the level of expectations for this club have fallen to level they would be alarmed by and accepting lower expectations is preparing yourself to not achieve greater goals.

If they heard about the way the club has treated residents in regards the stadium building and property purchase they'd be thoroughly disgusted and try to atone for the disgraceful behaviour in some way.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: What would Bill and Bob think of our owners, manager, players, supporters today?
      Reply #18: May 15, 2013 11:40:46 pm
      The question is Bill , would Shankly have picked Rodgers to have replaced him ? I think we know the answer to that .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: May 16, 2013 09:30:00 am
      The question is Bill , would Shankly have picked Rodgers to have replaced him ? I think we know the answer to that .
      I think the only answer is no,Shanks set up the system that the next manager came from within.Also when people talk about how the game has changed, Shanks made the first full back/winger in the world in Chris Lawler.I also recall how he changed Tommy Leishman(a good hard working halfback) for Willy Stevenson a halfback who oozed class.I recall him going through goalies Bert Slater,Tommy Younger,Jim Furnell till he finally settled on Tommy Lawrence.The point I am trying to make is Shanks had a plan an by bit that plan was tweeked and Liverpool was on fire.There is no doubt Bill ,Bob and Joe would be successfull today.

Quick Reply