Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 1-0 QPR: In game & post match discussion.

Read 26228 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 QPR: In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #230: May 19, 2013 07:45:01 pm
      Agree on the "to be added" bit Gareth but that's a lot different from getting rid of players because they wouldn't get into a current top four team.  :-\

You build a squad up not gut it season on season. Like it or not, the players deemed, by many, as flops last season, played an important part in the improvement shown, from Christmas on, this time round. If some had have had their way those lads would have been sent packing... we should learn from that.

A squad is useless if the players in it aren't good enough, why can't you get your head around that?  Did Henderson and Downing improve this year?  yea, sure, but did they improve to the extent that they are anywhere close to bringing us to the top 4?  hell no.  It's just because they were absolute garbage last year, so really if they were even halfway decent this year it would have been a big leap.  But half way decent isn't good enough for where we want to go.

If we had all the money in the world we could keep all the squad players we have who are underperfoming and go get better players as well.  But we don't.  Let's just hypothetically say Eriksen is available for £15m.  Hypothetically.  Let's say hypothetically we could get £10m for Henderson, and £5m for Borini if we sell them this summer.  Is our team going to be worse off next season without Borini and Henderson?  of course not!  you may have sentimentality and like the lads, which I understand, but they are not offering much right now, and we need money to get better players, because FSG aren't going to be sugar daddies.  Is it possible that those players might be better next season?  Sure it is.  But we can't take those risks anymore, because if we do poorly again, Suarez might definitely leave, and then what?  Suarez leaves because we have another year without CL, because the rest of the squad is average at best?  or, sell a couple of the underperformers, replace two underperformers with one stellar signing, and let's move forward.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #231: May 19, 2013 07:47:03 pm
      I enjoyed that even though we only scored 1, we should have had a bag full. 

The crowd were amazing, a really great atmosphere today.  I thought Jordon played well, as did Coutinho, what a player that lad is. 

Finally, Jamie Carragher our number 23, why oh why did that shot not go in.  What a way to end his career than with a goal at the Kop end.  Although it would have been more fitting if he'd had a last ditch block or goal line clearance to finish on as that is what our Jamie has become renowned for.

All the best for the future Jamie, you'll be sadly missed but usually as one hero goes another one steps up.

Have to say though I'm glad this season's over with, it's been difficult to say the least.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #232: May 19, 2013 07:47:54 pm

"The win marks a terrific (Ed:?)  end to the season for us. 

We would love the season to continue as we have found our feet and form. [But] we've got work to do during the summer in terms of reinforcing the group"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22499180

B.R. post match.

Mouth shut. Others to judge.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #233: May 19, 2013 07:48:35 pm

The crowd were amazing, a really great atmosphere today.  I thought Jordon played well, as did Coutinho, what a player that lad is. 

Finally, Jamie Carragher our number 23, why oh why did that shot not go in.  What a way to end his career than with a goal at the Kop end.  Although it would have been more fitting if he'd had a last ditch block or goal line clearance to finish on as that is what our Jamie has become renowned for.

All the best for the future Jamie, you'll be sadly missed but usually as one hero goes another one steps up.

Have to say though I'm glad this season's over with, it's been difficult to say the least.
      Agree Debs, roll on next season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #234: May 19, 2013 07:55:12 pm
      they don't grasp the football side of things, if you get my drift.
      I hear you loud and clear but to be honest they ain't alone; there's quite a few fans in the same boat.

Anyhow that's for a different thread.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #235: May 19, 2013 07:59:50 pm
      I hear you loud and clear but to be honest they ain't alone; there's quite a few fans in the same boat.

Anyhow that's for a different thread.

OK then, pissed now anyway, nite mate.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool vs QPR
      Reply #236: May 19, 2013 08:01:40 pm
      Talking of WUM's - wife just tried to start hoovering the apartement...

Did she turn it off mate?   ;D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #237: May 19, 2013 08:08:27 pm
      A squad is useless if the players in it aren't good enough, why can't you get your head around that?  Did Henderson and Downing improve this year?  yea, sure, but did they improve to the extent that they are anywhere close to bringing us to the top 4?  hell no.  It's just because they were absolute garbage last year, so really if they were even halfway decent this year it would have been a big leap.  But half way decent isn't good enough for where we want to go.

If we had all the money in the world we could keep all the squad players we have who are underperfoming and go get better players as well.  But we don't.  Let's just hypothetically say Eriksen is available for £15m.  Hypothetically.  Let's say hypothetically we could get £10m for Henderson, and £5m for Borini if we sell them this summer.  Is our team going to be worse off next season without Borini and Henderson?  of course not!  you may have sentimentality and like the lads, which I understand, but they are not offering much right now, and we need money to get better players, because FSG aren't going to be sugar daddies.  Is it possible that those players might be better next season?  Sure it is.  But we can't take those risks anymore, because if we do poorly again, Suarez might definitely leave, and then what?  Suarez leaves because we have another year without CL, because the rest of the squad is average at best?  or, sell a couple of the underperformers, replace two underperformers with one stellar signing, and let's move forward.

Downing and Henderson didn't cost us 4th place, the defence did! Sure you could sell them and buy Eriksen ( well actually you can't, as he is likely going to play in Germany), but there is NO guarantee he will be a success, look at Morientes for example!
      I would keep Hendo, Downing can go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #238: May 19, 2013 08:10:14 pm
      Missed the game but fitting we got a clean sheet on Carra'sd last game.

Going to have to wait for MOTD and hope they sepnd as much time on Jamie's retirement that they have done on everyone else's.
      Redangel

• 8,338 posts | 1010 
      Reply #239: May 19, 2013 08:10:49 pm

Just sums up perfectly how I feel! .
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #240: May 19, 2013 08:10:52 pm
      Downing and Henderson didn't cost us 4th place, the defence did! Sure you could sell them and buy Eriksen ( well actually you can't, as he is likely going to play in Germany), but there is NO guarantee he will be a success, look at Morientes for example!
      I would keep Hendo, Downing can go.

There's no guarantee that anyone will be a success.  But surely some players have shown more than others that they are more likely to be of Liverpool quality.  Not one person in the world at the end of the 2011 season thought "hey, you know what we need?  Jordan Henderson!" 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #241: May 19, 2013 08:11:57 pm

^               
      Unqualified pish.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #242: May 19, 2013 08:14:11 pm
      Not one person in the world at the end of the 2011 season thought "hey, you know what we need?  Jordan Henderson!" 

Wrong.

Kenny Dalglish did and as he was manager at the time the only person who's opinion on the player mattered.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #243: May 19, 2013 08:20:48 pm
      Amazing day for Carra and also a weird day for football in general with all the players and a certain manager retiring.
      Can't remember a seasons end where so many high profil players decided to hang up their boots.
      Some of them you may not like but it's still gonna cause a shift and lead to a different premier league next season.

Carra's impeccable career for us puts him into a different class altogether.

Glad the season has ended on a positive note and am very hopeful for next season based upon the last few months.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #244: May 19, 2013 08:33:18 pm
      Wrong.

Kenny Dalglish did and as he was manager at the time the only person who's opinion on the player mattered.

Yes, and Kenny was wrong.  And he'd be the first to admit it.  He made some mistakes, but also got us probably the best signing in Suarez that we've had in years.

Think he knew he was wrong as well given that he was about to sign Diame and Belhanda in 2011.  Too bad FSG didn't give him the chance. 
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #245: May 19, 2013 08:39:52 pm
      He said as his God complex shone through!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #246: May 19, 2013 08:43:08 pm
      Yes, and Kenny was wrong.  And he'd be the first to admit it.
      Did he admit it or is that your take on it ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #247: May 19, 2013 08:44:51 pm

Yes, and Kenny was wrong.  And he'd be the first to admit it.   

Really?

44 appearances this season and forcing his way into Brendan's plans might indicate that Kenny was right all along about the lad.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #248: May 19, 2013 08:46:38 pm
      What a strange game today. Very much an end of season event. QPR are truly shocking. 11 players playing for themselves, not their teammates. As for ourselves, we did okay. Nothing fantastic but we did enough. Defence a bit leaky and with clinical opposition, it may have been a different story. Little Coutinho was a gem, once again. Lucas was fairly average, in comparisant to the high standards we know he can reach. The rest did enough to get through. I wouldn't take anything away from the game other than the win. QPR are piss poor and it was an end of season game with little to play for. All that said, a win is a win so it's nice to end with it.

As for Carra, I was nearly in tears as he came off. Clapped by everyone in the ground, including his fellow professionals, said it all for me. True hero and it won't be the same without him. Played his heart out like it was his first game and if he had scored that shot that hit the post, I think I would have had a heart attack. Thanks for everything Carra!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #249: May 19, 2013 08:47:59 pm
      On topic please.

This is the live & post match thread, not the Henderson, Dalglish, or even Borini thread.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #250: May 19, 2013 08:50:09 pm
      Er.
      So match thread.
      Win and a clean sheet.
      Goodbye to a legend.
      More signings like January please, Coutinho has been a dream to watch.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #251: May 19, 2013 08:52:39 pm
      On topic please.

This is the live & post match thread, not the Henderson, Dalglish, or even Borini thread.

Apologies RP!

Shouldn't let myself be dragged into his bullshit.

Anyone let me know how Ibe played then as I missed the game.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #252: May 19, 2013 08:55:38 pm
      Apologies RP!

Shouldn't let myself be dragged into his bullshit.

Anyone let me know how Ibe played then as I missed the game.

Jordon had a great game Si. 

Took on players, tracked back, got into good positions, laid a beauty off for Coutinho's goal.  All in all he should be happy with his performance.

Quick Reply