Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

UEFA Financing

Read 2465 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      UEFA Financing
      May 23, 2013 11:48:01 am
      I didn't know where to put this so decided a new topic for discussion was probably best. 

I know the headline uses Liverpool as an example but the article itself is about the wider issue of how European Competition Finances is weighted in favour of the Champions League.  I agree with what he says.  We will never have enough teams challenging for the CL qualification places whilst those just qualifying get so much more money than those getting to the later stages of the Europa League.

Liverpool can forget about winning the League unless UEFA change finance rules, insists Bundesliga chief.

By Martyn Ziegler, Press Association

Clubs such as Liverpool will struggle to ever win their national league again unless UEFA changes how it distributes the huge financial benefits of the competition, the head of the Bundesliga has claimed.

Two German clubs - Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund - are contesting the Champions League final on Saturday but Christian Seifert, the Bundesliga chief executive, believes that UEFA need to spread the rewards more broadly.

Seifert fears that those financial rewards will continue to grow - and go straight to the top clubs and further distort national competitions.

He told a briefing in London: 'Money coming out of the Champions League is an enormous influence - in Germany it is double the money from the national media contract.

'I think UEFA need to think again how they distribute the money from the Champions League and Europa League because each country needs an attractive national competition and not just two teams dominating.

'Without a doubt it has an impact. If the money of the Champions League gets more and more and the gap gets bigger and bigger then of course it’s probably not the best thing for national competition

'When I grew up one of the greatest teams was Liverpool. I’m not sure if they have the chance ever to win the Premier League again.

'Because they have to compete with clubs who have a lot more financial opportunities like Man City and Chelsea plus money that comes from the Champions League. It’s something you have to have in mind when you want to have a certain balance in between the league.'

The German top flight is viewed by many as a model league - 14 out of 18 clubs were in profit last season, 60 per cent of the players are eligible to play for Germany, youth academies are obligatory and highly-developed and ticket prices are considerably lower than the Premier League. Adult prices are as low 13 euros (£11) and average 23 euros (£20), and there are strict rules on ownership.

Attendances are booming and German clubs are held up as an example of how safe standing areas can work, and a Champions League winner this season is assured.

Seifert insisted however that there was work still to be done.

He added: 'We are proud to have two teams in the final but it doesn’t mean we have 18 teams on the level. For 10 years the discussion has been why we have no chance to win the Champions League.

'You can’t say ‘wow - look what we have achieved’, but in the last few years we have done more right than wrong.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2329157/Liverpool-win-Premier-League-unless-UEFA-change-financial-rules--Christian-Seifert.html?ico=sport^headlines
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: UEFA Financing
      Reply #1: May 23, 2013 07:45:18 pm
      I didn't know where to put this so decided a new topic for discussion was probably best. 

I know the headline uses Liverpool as an example but the article itself is about the wider issue of how European Competition Finances is weighted in favour of the Champions League.  I agree with what he says.  We will never have enough teams challenging for the CL qualification places whilst those just qualifying get so much more money than those getting to the later stages of the Europa League.

Liverpool can forget about winning the League unless UEFA change finance rules, insists Bundesliga chief.

By Martyn Ziegler, Press Association

Clubs such as Liverpool will struggle to ever win their national league again unless UEFA changes how it distributes the huge financial benefits of the competition, the head of the Bundesliga has claimed.

Two German clubs - Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund - are contesting the Champions League final on Saturday but Christian Seifert, the Bundesliga chief executive, believes that UEFA need to spread the rewards more broadly.

Seifert fears that those financial rewards will continue to grow - and go straight to the top clubs and further distort national competitions.

He told a briefing in London: 'Money coming out of the Champions League is an enormous influence - in Germany it is double the money from the national media contract.

'I think UEFA need to think again how they distribute the money from the Champions League and Europa League because each country needs an attractive national competition and not just two teams dominating.

'Without a doubt it has an impact. If the money of the Champions League gets more and more and the gap gets bigger and bigger then of course it’s probably not the best thing for national competition

'When I grew up one of the greatest teams was Liverpool. I’m not sure if they have the chance ever to win the Premier League again.

'Because they have to compete with clubs who have a lot more financial opportunities like Man City and Chelsea plus money that comes from the Champions League. It’s something you have to have in mind when you want to have a certain balance in between the league.'

The German top flight is viewed by many as a model league - 14 out of 18 clubs were in profit last season, 60 per cent of the players are eligible to play for Germany, youth academies are obligatory and highly-developed and ticket prices are considerably lower than the Premier League. Adult prices are as low 13 euros (£11) and average 23 euros (£20), and there are strict rules on ownership.

Attendances are booming and German clubs are held up as an example of how safe standing areas can work, and a Champions League winner this season is assured.

Seifert insisted however that there was work still to be done.

He added: 'We are proud to have two teams in the final but it doesn’t mean we have 18 teams on the level. For 10 years the discussion has been why we have no chance to win the Champions League.

'You can’t say ‘wow - look what we have achieved’, but in the last few years we have done more right than wrong.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2329157/Liverpool-win-Premier-League-unless-UEFA-change-financial-rules--Christian-Seifert.html?ico=sport^headlines

Interesting. I have a lot of time to listen to what anyone in the hierarchy of German football has to say. The country as a whole is doing a lot of things the right way -- including the women's game, which I'd like to see our club give a bit more airtime on the homepage of the official. Completely different topic though.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #2: May 24, 2013 10:32:22 am
      To be fair we have spent more than enough money in the last decade to win a league. I think blaming it on financial differences between us and the money clubs like City and Chelsea is looking for excuses.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2013 10:48:13 am
      To be fair we have spent more than enough money in the last decade to win a league. I think blaming it on financial differences between us and the money clubs like City and Chelsea is looking for excuses.

Try reading the article mate.  It's not about blaming lack of finances for us not winning the league, in fact it's not really about LFC at all, it just uses us as an example.

It's explaining why it's so difficult for Clubs outside of CL qualification to break the monopoly of those Clubs, not just in the EPL but every league in Europe.
      Bier
      Reply #4: May 24, 2013 10:57:58 am
      It's even worse in the Dutch eredivisie, with just 1 certain CL spot for 1st place, and another CL qualification spot for 2nd place. No club is even able to count on CL football every season, they can't bet their spending on it. Because when they do, and they have one or more off years and miss out on CL football, they're screwed financially. It's happened to PSV recently.

Quick Reply