Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Rise of Bayern Munich

Read 8448 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      The Rise of Bayern Munich
      May 27, 2013 02:00:39 pm
      After winning their 5th European Cup in impressive fashion and the imminent arrival of Gotze and Lewandowski from Dortmund. Is this the start of european dominance for Bayern?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: The Rise of Bayern Munich
      Reply #1: May 27, 2013 02:08:53 pm
      They've been in the final for 3 of the last 4 years.
      Certainly have the ability to challenge for years to come.

While the world got caught up in the hype of Barcelona/Madrid and
      the Premier League Germany clubs seem to be going about there business
      in a better, more sustainable, manner.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2: May 27, 2013 02:09:14 pm
      After winning their 5th European Cup in impressive fashion and the imminent arrival of Gotze and Lewandowski from Dortmund. Is this the start of european dominance for Bayern?

Like they did in the early 70s winning three European Cup's on the bounce!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #3: May 27, 2013 02:26:46 pm
      I am not convinced that they are all that great. They have done well of late, beaten some good teams but I don't see it lasting long. Maybe I am being a bit clueless but they beat a Barca team that aren't at the same level as they were a few years ago. The Dortmund team they played are good and as much as I admire them, they aren't necessarily the greatest team around. Just my opinion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2013 02:54:39 pm
      While the world got caught up in the hype of Barcelona/Madrid and
      the Premier League Germany clubs seem to be going about there business
      in a better, more sustainable, manner.

Typical German efficiency!
      Bier
      Reply #5: May 27, 2013 03:29:25 pm
      I am not convinced that they are all that great. They have done well of late, beaten some good teams but I don't see it lasting long. Maybe I am being a bit clueless but they beat a Barca team that aren't at the same level as they were a few years ago. The Dortmund team they played are good and as much as I admire them, they aren't necessarily the greatest team around. Just my opinion.

3 Champions League finals in 4 years is pretty amazing. Why don't you see it lasting long? They're financially the most healthy club out of all top clubs, and their earnings will only increase by the year. Their stadium is almost paid off, which will give them more money to spend. The Bundesliga have a new tv deal starting next season that is 68% more than their current, and overtakes La Liga's tv deal. Bayern have more commercial income than any top club in Europe. Bayern are a club run by supporters, and have former players in many important positions, continuity in policy is safeguarded.

If you consider that German football is on the rise, and that Bayern will always be the biggest club in Germany, I think they're basically guaranteed to be a major European contender for many years to come.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2013 03:41:00 pm by Bier »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: May 27, 2013 03:41:49 pm
      If FSG want to copy anyone's financial plan they should look at the Commerical Revenue of Bayern.
      If you look at it as a percentage of income it's probably the highest going.

Interesting to look at the Individual Broadcasting deals in Spain and Italy.
      Would be good to see how they compare to the new deals that England and Germany are getting.

Bier
      Reply #7: May 27, 2013 03:47:13 pm
      If FSG want to copy anyone's financial plan they should look at the Commerical Revenue of Bayern.
      If you look at it as a percentage of income it's probably the highest going.

Interesting to look at the Individual Broadcasting deals in Spain and Italy.
      Would be good to see how they compare to the new deals that England and Germany are getting.

Not just as a percantage of their income racer, they actually have the highest commercial income out of all clubs.

English clubs can't replicate that though, Germany is such a large country, and healthy financially compared to the other European countries.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: May 27, 2013 03:50:13 pm
      Not just as a percantage of their income racer, they actually have the highest commercial income out of all clubs.

English clubs can't replicate that though, Germany is such a large country, and healthy financially compared to the other European countries.

Ah. That's the graph I was trying to find.
      Originally I was going to say they had the highest, but I couldn't find that graph to back up the claim.

That graph also highlights how important TV revenue has become.
      Once a club drops out of Europe they lose out heavily.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #9: May 27, 2013 03:50:34 pm
      Going to be interesting for sure, Bayern were absolute class this year. Will be interesting to see how other teams respond.

City, Madrid, Chelsea and United will all be under new management (PSG too probably) next season. Juventus will probably really go for Europe next year after dominating domestically for two years now and Barca will surely splash out and improve that back four after getting Neymar.

Looking forward to next year, just hope come September 2014, we'll be in there with those teams!
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: May 27, 2013 03:51:58 pm
      I Think their squad is by far the best in the world if they add Lewandowski as well as Gotze. The many finals they got into over the past 4 years is incredible but i can see them being even more hungry now with Pep taking over he will make them even better and i could easily see them dominate europe for next 2 or 3 seasons.
      Bier
      Reply #11: May 27, 2013 03:55:54 pm
      Don't know about Juventus chats. Even their own manager has said that they can't compete anymore with Europe's elite clubs, and that Italian football has come to a standstill.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: May 27, 2013 03:59:14 pm
      Don't know about Juventus chats. Even their own manager has said that they can't compete anymore with Europe's elite clubs, and that Italian football has come to a standstill.

Ah, haven't really followed Serie A at all lately. Shame that, always had a soft spot for Juventus.
      Bier
      Reply #13: May 27, 2013 04:08:26 pm
      Ah, haven't really followed Serie A at all lately. Shame that, always had a soft spot for Juventus.

I want to like them, but I can't get over the fact that most of their team was on doping last time they won the Champions League. But I think Italian football in general just has been in decline, they've had problems filling their stadiums aswell.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: May 27, 2013 04:10:42 pm
      Their era has already started years ago. 3 finals in 4 years is impressive as F**k.

The things is, people need symbols and landmarks for 'rise' and 'fall' of 'empires', and this years' semifinal (Bayern vs Barça) provided the perfect moment for it.

I think Barcelona are far from over though. I believe in the next years these two teams (Barça and Bayern), arguably the best in Europe for years, will continue to fight for the big trophies.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: May 27, 2013 04:41:29 pm
      Their era has already started years ago. 3 finals in 4 years is impressive as f**k.

The things is, people need symbols and landmarks for 'rise' and 'fall' of 'empires', and this years' semifinal (Bayern vs Barça) provided the perfect moment for it.

I think Barcelona are far from over though. I believe in the next years these two teams (Barça and Bayern), arguably the best in Europe for years, will continue to fight for the big trophies.

Barcelona will be back. They need to get a few transfers in but they will be back as strong as ever I believe. When you've got a team with Lionel Messi in it and adding the likes of Neymar then they are going the right way about it in getting back to the top.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: May 27, 2013 04:47:34 pm
      Barcelona will be back. They need to get a few transfers in but they will be back as strong as ever I believe. When you've got a team with Lionel Messi in it and adding the likes of Neymar then they are going the right way about it in getting back to the top.

Agreed mate. I said so after the UCL semifinals and I'm saying again, people have been too fast to jump into conclusions about that 'change of eras'. I don't think this will be an era of one or another, nor does it have to be about only one club at the top - both clubs have been at or around the top for a while now.
      Bier
      Reply #17: May 27, 2013 05:01:20 pm
      Barcelona will continue to be a force ofcourse, as they're a big club. But I do think their best days are behind them. Has alot to do with their current president Rosell too. When Laporta left, so did Begiristain and later Guardiola. Very little left of the policy that made them so succesful, very little people left that were involved with that success. And Rossell doesn't seem to adher the vision that made them so succesful, he has even pushed Cruijff away from the club. And I think they're losing the tiki taka style to an extend, as that's dependant on world class players coming through their own youth ranks.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: May 27, 2013 05:10:02 pm
      Over an extended period of time I agree it might mean the end of this Barcelona, but for the time being, I think they're far from over. I'm not sure if Tito Villanova is the man for them as Guardiola would be missed by any club, but they still got much of what made them so powerful in the last few years. I can easily see them winning the UCL next year, for example, and then all that talk of "the end of an era" would seem extremely foolish. I would leave that 'era' talk to historians 20 years from now ;D

Even the all German final was only possible due to an offside goal in injury time - had it been disallowed, the final would still contain at least one Spanish team on it. So for me all this talk of 'the downfall of Spanish football' sounds really awkward, as does 'the rise of Bundesliga'. The German league has risen many years ago and Spanish football is still a great force.
      Bier
      Reply #19: May 27, 2013 05:19:25 pm
      I agree Diego, Barcelona can very well still be succesful. But for me, they were more than just succesful in recent years, they revolutionised the game. That part seems to be fading, and it might be gone when Xavi and Iniesta are gone.

And ofcourse, it's not as black and white as German football is on top and Spanish football is down. German football has been on the up for a few years, but that's a continueing trend I think. And Spanish teams are still strong. If teams like Chelsea and Inter can win the CL, than those two Spanish teams surely can too. But I think Spanish football is very much under financial pressure due to the crisis. And the tv deals that make Real and Barcelona as big as they are are very much under pressure aswell. And those clubs have been growing some serious debts, but it's doubtful whether they can still do that in the future.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: May 27, 2013 06:06:30 pm
      Their era has already started years ago. 3 finals in 4 years is impressive as F**k.
      Without a doubt... they've just been getting stronger but this success hasn't come cheaply.

From 2007/08 to present (when they appeared to set off on rebuilding); they've spent £296.4m (for those who don't believe in 'net spend') or £222m (for those who do).
      Bier
      Reply #21: May 27, 2013 06:29:18 pm
      Without a doubt... they've just been getting stronger but this success hasn't come cheaply.

From 2007/08 to present (when they appeared to set off on rebuilding); they've spent £296.4m (for those who don't believe in 'net spend') or £222m (for those who do).

Because of their new stadium, which opened 2 years before that. That really improved their income and spending.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: May 27, 2013 07:17:12 pm
      Because of their new stadium, which opened 2 years before that.

The Allianz holds about 70,000.

I wonder how other club's (within the Bundesliga) spending compares over the same time; Dortmund, for example? Their ground hold something like 80,000. I'll maybe have a better look later.

That really improved their income and spending.

I wouldn't be just as sure of that Bier.

I'm certain we have been told recently (again I'll have to check) that a new L.F.C. Stadium wouldn't bring that much revenue in. Then again a big, empty, stadium ain't worth a F**k; you need a successful team to put bums on seats.

Either way Bayern haven't been afraid to spend and it's showing.

Quick Reply