Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex Pearce (Reading)

Read 11581 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Alex Pearce (Reading)
      May 31, 2013 02:59:42 pm
      PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool close on out-of-contract Reading ace Pearce after meeting in swanky London hotspot
      Liverpool have stepped up their pursuit of Reading defender Alex Pearce.

Pearce is out of contract in the summer and was last week seen with the club's managing director Ian Ayre in plush Mayfair hotspot Novikov – as our exclusive picture reveals.

The meeting fuels growing speculation that Pearce could be set for a reunion with former boss Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers is an admirer of the 24-year-old from their time at Reading together and made Pearce his captain in 2009.

Liverpool signed Kolo Toure from Manchester City earlier this week but are still in the market for centre-backs with continued speculation over the future of Martin Skrtel and the retirement of Jaime Carragher.

Pearce’s age and the fact he will be able to move for free also fits the transfer policy of Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group.

Reading have not given up hope of convincing Pearce to commit his future to the club, despite 12 months of unfruitful contract talks.

Manager Nigel Adkins told Pearce, in a one-on-one meeting before the end of the season, that he would like him to stay and be an integral part of the team that tries to win promotion back to the Premier League next season.

But Pearce is keeping his options open and still feels the latest offer on the table – believed to be around £20,000 a week – does not give him parity with the club’s top earners.

Daily Mail
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2013 09:31:24 am by Reslivo »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Alex Pearce - Reading
      Reply #1: May 31, 2013 03:04:34 pm
      Suarez going and Pearce coming?? Wow!!  :mad:  :mad:
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #2: May 31, 2013 03:06:52 pm
      Christ he looks about 40.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: May 31, 2013 03:07:51 pm
      Alex Pearce can F**k off!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: May 31, 2013 03:10:06 pm
      Losing Suarez and getting Alex Pearce, that'll cheer you up for sure.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: May 31, 2013 03:11:35 pm
      Because they play the same position.

If Pearce is coming in, he's clearly going to be 4th choice behind Agger, Papadapadapdapdapolous, Toure. If that.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #6: May 31, 2013 03:15:34 pm
      Ian Ayre is the football equivalent of an embarrassing Dad.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: May 31, 2013 03:16:24 pm
      I'd rather keep Skrtel/Coates to be honest. Or use Kelly/Wisdom at CB. No need for this at all IMO.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: May 31, 2013 03:17:26 pm

Really is, exactly the type of picture I didn't need to see at this moment.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #9: May 31, 2013 03:20:18 pm
      **looks at picture again, raises one eyebrow and then heads to both of their Wikipedias to check that there are women in both of their lives**
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: May 31, 2013 03:22:36 pm

;D Perfectly put
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #11: May 31, 2013 03:34:41 pm
      Have a bad, bad feeling about how Rodgers will spend the 'Suarez money'. F**k this kind of signing in the ass.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #12: May 31, 2013 03:40:47 pm
      I don't like this guy's face, for whatever that's worth. Maybe that's just because that is one of the clowniest pictures I've seen
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: May 31, 2013 03:43:15 pm
      Hopefully it's just Daily Fail sh*te.

And Ayre still looks a tw*t.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: May 31, 2013 03:43:31 pm
      How Ian Ayre still has a job at the club is incredible. Guarentee he will allow the sale of Suarez below the asking price worst transfer dealer in the world.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: May 31, 2013 04:34:21 pm
      Just dont get thiws one no matter what way I look at it. We must have 6 better centre halves alreaady here
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: May 31, 2013 07:10:04 pm
      He wont last longer than a season. This deal reminds me of when we signed Jovanvic except I was expecting more promise from him than I am Pearce!
      Jamesphilly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #17: May 31, 2013 07:39:06 pm
      F*** this. This guy will be no good
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #18: May 31, 2013 07:52:12 pm
      Rodgers not have any scouts then? Another former player from BRs past, and from one of the worst Premier League sides in recent history with the worst defence in the league.

Brilliant.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #19: May 31, 2013 09:41:29 pm
      Rodgers not have any scouts then? Another former player from BRs past, and from one of the worst Premier League sides in recent history with the worst defence in the league.

Brilliant.

Was thinking the same but hoping it's just lazy journalism.......

Otherwise....... well lets not think about it.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #20: May 31, 2013 09:45:23 pm

Brilliant.
      We are buying from the Spanish second division. Is that not a scouting job?
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2013 10:18:48 pm by xSkyline »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #21: May 31, 2013 10:18:33 pm
      Whoops?

Sophie Donnelly ‏@SrDee_xo 20m
      So proud of my cousin Alex Pearce going to Liverpool football club
      Retweeted by LFCTS
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #22: May 31, 2013 10:19:50 pm
      Whoops?

Retweeted by LFCTS

No idea who she is but think after the picture above with Ayre, the cat was already well out of the bag on this one FL. I just don't understand it and it's another Rodgers old boy.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #23: May 31, 2013 10:21:00 pm
      No idea who she is but think after the picture above with Ayre, the cat was already well out of the bag on this one FL. I just don't understand it and it's another Rodgers old boy.

Likely just depth I'm guessing. Don't know much about him other than the scouting report I read on TIA. He doesn't really sound bad, just not starting 11 material. If he's cheap, I see no problem with the buy for depth.

I still don't worry that much about coaches going after former players. They know them best and they understand them better than anyone else.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: May 31, 2013 10:32:49 pm
      Likely just depth I'm guessing. Don't know much about him other than the scouting report I read on TIA. He doesn't really sound bad, just not starting 11 material. If he's cheap, I see no problem with the buy for depth.

I still don't worry that much about coaches going after former players. They know them best and they understand them better than anyone else.

Again, the argument of a squad full average players isn't depth, it's simply an overload of surplus players you're building up to have to eventually get rid of.

Depth = players who have potential to challenge for a first team place or at least close to it.

Coaches revisiting old grounds is fine if the coach in question doesn't currently have the track record of Allen/Borini costing £27m combined and about to add Alex Pearce a player 99% of this forum would suggest wont be a regular for us. I'd rather give the time he could play to Wisdom/Coady/Kelly/Lloyd Jones why add 'depth' that will simply make these lads want his wages when they pass him in the pecking order?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: May 31, 2013 10:39:40 pm
      Oh, the overreaction about Suarez potentially leaving as Pearce is coming. I look forward to it... NOT!

Rafa signed many free players that were not useful at all, yet everyone here loves him.

Let's give the manager a vote of confidence for a change. Pearce did not play too much this season but he was Reading's player of the year when they won the Championship. Only 24, possibly nothing but a squad player. Who knows.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #26: May 31, 2013 11:00:52 pm
      Have a bad, bad feeling about how Rodgers will spend the 'Suarez money'. F**k this kind of signing in the ass.

You not happy with Coutinho and Sturridge then?

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: May 31, 2013 11:02:53 pm
      Could be worse,  we could  be after Titus Bramble.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #28: May 31, 2013 11:03:54 pm
      A squad player on a free that will be on low wages, what's the problem other than he looks like Ayre's dad?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: May 31, 2013 11:08:36 pm
      A squad player on a free that will be on low wages, what's the problem other than he looks like Ayre's dad?

Depends on the situation of him joining. Is he replacing Skrtel? Is he replacing Coates? If he does in fact replace Skrtel then that is actually piss poor and it would then mean that Toure will be a starter for us and our defence will be considerably weaker.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #30: May 31, 2013 11:09:04 pm

It always happens when we are linked with unfashionable players as some people think we will always buy or should buy players like Suarez.

Football isn't like this and sometimes you need a couple of solid players in the squad.

Having said that I've never seen Pearce play, and if I did I cant remember it, so cant comment on whether he would be a decent signing or not.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: May 31, 2013 11:11:50 pm
      Having said that I've never seen Pearce play, and if I did I cant remember it, so cant comment on whether he would be a decent signing or not.

That's the main thing for me - I understand the skepticism about the signing and why people won't be running naked in the streets to celebrate when we announce him, but how many posters here have actually watched him on a regular basis?

If no one has, then why how on Earth can we judge him? If someone has watched him a significant number of times, then I would greatly appreciate some kind of scout report here ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #32: May 31, 2013 11:12:47 pm
      Quote (selected)

I would rather see Coates, Kelly and Wisdom given chances at centre back to be honest.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: May 31, 2013 11:13:02 pm
      It always happens when we are linked with unfashionable players as some people think we will always buy or should buy players like Suarez.

Football isn't like this and sometimes you need a couple of solid players in the squad.

He was Reading's back up, the same Reading that conceded 73 goals last season, the same one that their fans are even saying we should be aiming higher.

I can only see him coming in at around 5th/6th choice CB behind Agger/Skrtel (his replacement) Toure / Kelly (Brendan already said he sees him as CB when he tried to sign him on loan) and then Wisdom / Pearce. I'd prefer Coady given a chance and save the £20k a week to lure a better player in the starting XI, makes 0 sense to me this signing, absolute 0.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #34: May 31, 2013 11:15:16 pm
      That's the main thing for me - I understand the skepticism about the signing and why people won't be running naked in the streets to celebrate when we announce him, but how many posters here have actually watched him on a regular basis?

If no one has, then why how on Earth can we judge him? If someone has watched him a significant number of times, then I would greatly appreciate some kind of scout report here ;D

Indeed and it happens all the time mate.

If its not a big name, or sometimes a foreign name, some people are just not interested and automatically think the players isn't good enough.

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #35: May 31, 2013 11:26:03 pm
      If true that he is close to signing, I can't really complain that much. A centre half, position we will need a few players in and a free transfer. Whether or not he is good enough is another issue. Give him a chance. As Diego said, how many of us have actually seen him play? Brendan has and no the effort he puts in.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: May 31, 2013 11:27:27 pm
      Talking about scout report, I found this one about him, written in December. I can't possibly judge its quality since I have hardly seen Pearce play, but here it goes:

LFC Scout Report: Alex Pearce

Alex Pearce
      Date of Birth: 9th November 1988 (Age 24)
      Place of Birth: Wallingford, England
      Club: Reading
      Position: Centre Back
      Height: 6ft 2

Alex Pearce is a highly rated defender who has worked previously under Rogers during Rodgers brief spell at Reading. In fact, Rodgers rates him so highly that Pearce was named the vice-captain of the Reading team at the age of 20. As a player Pearce is a very strong defender who goes hard into tackles and is an absolute beast of a defender in the air. He is one of those defenders who can not only win areal duels but head the ball well and direct it to a team-mate. His areal presence is always a threat from corners and he has scored a decent amount of goals from corners in the championship.

Although he is not the fastest of players, he has an astute reading of the game and is able to intercept a fair share of passes. Confident in possession he looks to use the balls that he retrieves constructively. He has often been praised for his work ethics and his organisational skills and also possesses a good deal of leadership quality. Last season he was part of the title winning team in the championship, conceding the fewest amount of goals in the division. Reading are the sort of a team that likes to keep it tight at the back and build their attacks from a strong defensive foundation, and Pearce was at the heart of their defensive solidarity. He formed a formidable partnership with Kaspars Gorkss and having an experienced partner helped him improve his games by leaps and bounds.

Pearce was also Reading’s player of the season 2012. He however lost his place in the Reading team after just 4 games into the Premier League season. While he did look a bit shaky in defence, so did the entire team and he was, in my opinion, the best of all the Reading defenders and seemed to have adapted well to the life in the Premier League.

Adrian Mariappa, who McDermott seems to rate higher, has replaced Pearce at the heart of the defence. While McDermott paired Mariappa with Gorkss, in my opinion the best Reading defensive pairing would be Pearce playing left of Mariappa especially considering that Reading have been shipping goals for free without Pearce.

The reason, I think, Pearce is being shunned has got more to do with the contract situation than tactics. While he has proved his talent in the championship without a doubt questions still remain of his ability to perform in the premiership. McDermott finally gave Pearce a place on the starting 11 this week against Manchester City and he slotted right in. Even though Reading lost the game in extra time, the character and resilience shown by the Reading defence was commendable. Pearce communicated with the other defenders well, showed good organisational skills and rarely lost his man. He was a real physical presence and won a fair share of headers. On the back of that performance I think he will stay as a part of the back four for the next few games at least.

With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, it seems a good bet to sign him for a knockdown price of about 3 million Euros, or better still get him sign a pre-contract agreement and sign him on for a free in the summer. At 24 he seems to tick a lot of boxes. Young, strong, talented, committed and available on the cheap: a typical FSG signing. Even if his development is not stellar, he will undoubtedly provide a good cover for our defence, especially if as reported Coates is going to be loaned out.

This is Anfield
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #37: Jun 01, 2013 12:06:44 am
      Talking about scout report, I found this one about him, written in December. I can't possibly judge its quality since I have hardly seen Pearce play, but here it goes:

Alex Pearce

Alex Pearce is a highly rated defender who has worked previously under Rogers during Rodgers brief spell at Reading. In fact, Rodgers rates him so highly that Pearce was named the vice-captain of the Reading team at the age of 20. As a player Pearce is a very strong defender who goes hard into tackles and is an absolute beast of a defender in the air. He is one of those defenders who can not only win areal duels but head the ball well and direct it to a team-mate. His areal presence is always a threat from corners and he has scored a decent amount of goals from corners in the championship.

Although he is not the fastest of players, he has an astute reading of the game and is able to intercept a fair share of passes. Confident in possession he looks to use the balls that he retrieves constructively. He has often been praised for his work ethics and his organisational skills and also possesses a good deal of leadership quality. Last season he was part of the title winning team in the championship, conceding the fewest amount of goals in the division. Reading are the sort of a team that likes to keep it tight at the back and build their attacks from a strong defensive foundation, and Pearce was at the heart of their defensive solidarity. He formed a formidable partnership with Kaspars Gorkss and having an experienced partner helped him improve his games by leaps and bounds.

Pearce was also Reading’s player of the season 2012. He however lost his place in the Reading team after just 4 games into the Premier League season. While he did look a bit shaky in defence, so did the entire team and he was, in my opinion, the best of all the Reading defenders and seemed to have adapted well to the life in the Premier League.

Adrian Mariappa, who McDermott seems to rate higher, has replaced Pearce at the heart of the defence. While McDermott paired Mariappa with Gorkss, in my opinion the best Reading defensive pairing would be Pearce playing left of Mariappa especially considering that Reading have been shipping goals for free without Pearce.

The reason, I think, Pearce is being shunned has got more to do with the contract situation than tactics. While he has proved his talent in the championship without a doubt questions still remain of his ability to perform in the premiership. McDermott finally gave Pearce a place on the starting 11 this week against Manchester City and he slotted right in. Even though Reading lost the game in extra time, the character and resilience shown by the Reading defence was commendable. Pearce communicated with the other defenders well, showed good organisational skills and rarely lost his man. He was a real physical presence and won a fair share of headers. On the back of that performance I think he will stay as a part of the back four for the next few games at least.

With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, it seems a good bet to sign him for a knockdown price of about 3 million Euros, or better still get him sign a pre-contract agreement and sign him on for a free in the summer. At 24 he seems to tick a lot of boxes. Young, strong, talented, committed and available on the cheap: a typical FSG signing. Even if his development is not stellar, he will undoubtedly provide a good cover for our defence, especially if as reported Coates is going to be loaned out.

This is Anfield

Interesting report. The overall conclusion seems to be that he is a decent player without being outstanding. As cover, I am happy signing him. Could be a replacement for Coates?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #38: Jun 01, 2013 12:10:10 am
      We are buying from the Spanish second division. Is that not a scouting job?

So he has one scout.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #39: Jun 01, 2013 12:24:11 am

Alex Pearce

This is Anfield

That's like a text version of a youtube video.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #40: Jun 01, 2013 01:02:19 am
      John o'shea
      Wes brown
      Henning berg.
      (Brain too muddled to remember others but u get my point)

And so on.

All players that were in winning teams but were distinctly average at their current clubs.

If BR reckons Pearce is a good player then in a better team surely he'll be an improved player?

Thoughts.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #41: Jun 01, 2013 01:11:45 am
      This lad is a good honest pro. Why not have him as back up. On a free, low enough wages,experience at PL level& the slog of championship games too,what's the problem?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42: Jun 01, 2013 09:20:01 am
      This lad is a good honest pro. Why not have him as back up. On a free, low enough wages,experience at PL level& the slog of championship games too,what's the problem?

Because we have Coates, Wisdom, Kelly 3 young lads with huge prospects at centre half. If we sign the likes of Pearce its knocks them back in the pecking order. Theyll get the odd game in at full back. Eventually we loset hem and they go on to be boss at another club and were left with red faces
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Alex Pearce (Reading)
      Reply #43: Jun 01, 2013 09:41:14 am
      Thanks God some of our current fans weren't around when we signed the likes of Keegan, Rush, Clemence, Rob Jones etc etc.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Jun 01, 2013 09:46:07 am
      Thanks God some of our current fans weren't around when we signed the likes of Keegan, Rush, Clemence, Rob Jones etc etc.
      Don't forget Heighway,Hall and Jimmy Case and the best of the lot Roger Hunt and quite a few others as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #45: Jun 01, 2013 09:56:49 am
      Tony Barrett saying we are NOT signing Alex Pearce.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #46: Jun 01, 2013 09:57:55 am
      Don't forget Heighway,Hall and Jimmy Case and the best of the lot Roger Hunt and quite a few others as well.

Of dont forget he Fowlers Owens McManamans Carraghers Gerrards that came through direct from  the club because we didnt go and buy average players in there position instead of giving them there chance
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #47: Jun 01, 2013 10:02:29 am
      Of dont forget he Fowlers Owens McManamans Carraghers Gerrards that came through direct from  the club because we didnt go and buy average players in there position instead of giving them there chance
      As I said Brian there was so many others as well Gerry Byrne,Ronnie Moran,Roy Evans and lots more that never cost us a cent.here we go again Callaghan.Lawler,Tomy Smith,enough reminiscing back to Alex Pearce.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #48: Jun 01, 2013 11:03:05 am
      Whilst I understand this "it will hinder Kelly's and Wisdom's development" argument it needs to be made clear that if Wisdom is used as back up we then need a back up right back and plus we can't rely on Kelly all the time due to his injury record in the past couple of years. If Pearce comes in as 4th choice then I won't argue, Kolo will be 3rd choice and then bring in a quality centre back to partner Agger.

BUT...

I don't want us to sign Pearce as 3rd choice because then it means Kolo would be our first team centre back and I don't think he is good enough for the quality that we need.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #49: Jun 01, 2013 12:37:37 pm
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho  23m 
      Despite the pic of him with Ian Ayre, I'm told #LFC have absolutely no interest in signing Alex Pearce.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Jun 01, 2013 12:46:28 pm
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho  23m 
      Despite the pic of him with Ian Ayre, I'm told #LFC have absolutely no interest in signing Alex Pearce.

That would be a relief, it really did make absolutely no sense, despite people trying to justify it.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #51: Jun 01, 2013 12:51:02 pm
      Interesting stuff coming from Barrett and Pearce. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of those comments, mainly due to the photo and the tweet from Alex Pearce's supposed cousin, which was later removed.

If he did sign, surely it would be as a replacement for Coates, no?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #52: Jun 01, 2013 05:48:23 pm
      Maybe he's getting rattled by Ian Ayre then.

All a bit strange.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #53: Jun 01, 2013 05:56:55 pm
      Is Rodgers some sort of secret agent, determined to bring Liverpool Football Club down, one mediocre player at a time?  and then managing to keep people confused by signing one good player for every 4 sh*te ones?

"Haha!  I will sign Allen and Borini and Sigurdsson and Dempsey and Pearce, then one Coutinho---then I'll tell them it's a 'work in progress,' they'll believe it, then I'll sign Ashley Williams, Scott Sinclair, and Leon Britton, then they'll get relegated, I'll get sacked, get a huge pay-off, and off I go!"
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #54: Jun 01, 2013 06:05:56 pm
      Is Rodgers some sort of secret agent, determined to bring Liverpool Football Club down, one mediocre player at a time?  and then managing to keep people confused by signing one good player for every 4 sh*te ones?

"Haha!  I will sign Allen and Borini and Sigurdsson and Dempsey and Pearce, then one Coutinho---then I'll tell them it's a 'work in progress,' they'll believe it, then I'll sign Ashley Williams, Scott Sinclair, and Leon Britton, then they'll get relegated, I'll get sacked, get a huge pay-off, and off I go!"

You've clearly not read the rest of this thread re. players we've signed in the past who've went on do great things for the club. Think that post was just a tad uncalled for and just a ramble.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #55: Jun 01, 2013 06:15:20 pm

Funny I have always had this feeling about you and this forum
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #56: Jun 01, 2013 09:10:46 pm
      Whoops?

Retweeted by LFCTS
      I reckon she's just sh*t stirring. It's what I'd do. :laugh:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #57: Jun 01, 2013 09:25:19 pm

Highway, (university team if I remember)  Phil Neal (Northampton)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #58: Jun 01, 2013 09:27:04 pm
      He may be a simmering giant... So turn the heat up ! On a free, worth a punt if the boss thinks so highly of him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Jun 02, 2013 03:02:25 am

Even as a source of cheap humour you're getting worse mate, you can do better than that. Keep trying though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #60: Jun 02, 2013 08:21:57 am
      Having said that I've never seen Pearce play, and if I did I cant remember it
      The part in bold may hold the clue Si.

but how many posters here have actually watched him on a regular basis?
      Not too many, I would have thought, Diego. Then again, even Reading fans didn't get to see him too often this season.

I guess you could look at that two ways - #1 (Glass half empty): if he couldn't command the starting role in that defence he must be sh*te or... #2 (Glass half full): Reading's defence was sh*te because they didn't pick him enough and the two managers [McDermott & Adkins] were ball-bags for leaving him out.

Like Si, I will have seen him (highlights only, admittedly) on both the 'Football League Show' and 'Match Of The Day' but I just can't remember him.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #61: Jun 02, 2013 11:13:27 am
      This is a low risk signing.  If he is no good Liverpool won't have trouble releasing him when he was free.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #62: Jun 02, 2013 02:46:45 pm
      The part in bold may hold the clue Si.
      Not too many, I would have thought, Diego. Then again, even Reading fans didn't get to see him too often this season.

I guess you could look at that two ways - #1 (Glass half empty): if he couldn't command the starting role in that defence he must be sh*te or... #2 (Glass half full): Reading's defence was sh*te because they didn't pick him enough and the two managers [McDermott & Adkins] were ball-bags for leaving him out.

Like Si, I will have seen him (highlights only, admittedly) on both the 'Football League Show' and 'Match Of The Day' but I just can't remember him

Yep, and either way there's plenty of reason to be skeptical about the signing. I just don't get people strongly opposing the signing of a player they've hardly watched. Not sure about Pearce? Me neither, and it does sound strange. But who knows? I only judge players I actually watch.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #63: Jun 02, 2013 03:19:17 pm
      Yep, and either way there's plenty of reason to be skeptical about the signing. I just don't get people strongly opposing the signing of a player they've hardly watched. Not sure about Pearce? Me neither, and it does sound strange. But who knows? I only judge players I actually watch.
      love the last bit you posted."I only judge players I actually watch "spot on.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #64: Jun 02, 2013 07:32:21 pm
      Have to admit this isn't a signing that excites me.

One way to look at it, is that if we get him free and on low wages, it will be a good addition to the squad.

Another way to look at it, is that if we get him, it may mean he is replacing Skrtel and he may end up playing quite a bit. And that scares me.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #65: Jun 02, 2013 10:05:24 pm
      Reading's defence was sh*te because they didn't pick him enough and the two managers [McDermott & Adkins] were ball-bags for leaving him out.

A la Pardew (was it?) and Mascherano?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #66: Jun 03, 2013 09:50:24 pm
      So if this is true - have we now signed TWO centre backs that are not going to be regulars - which would suggest Coates and not Skrtel will be leaving.

I'd sooner he be looking for the next Sami or Jamie.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #67: Jun 03, 2013 10:08:58 pm
      So if this is true - have we now signed TWO centre backs that are not going to be regulars - which would suggest Coates and not Skrtel will be leaving.

I'd sooner he be looking for the next Sami or Jamie.

So you don't think we are able to simultaneously look at backup (squad) players the same time we are looking for starters?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #68: Jun 03, 2013 10:18:24 pm
      Readings player of the year in 11/12 season. Must have something about him.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #69: Jun 03, 2013 10:31:13 pm
      I was the kwinana under 11's player of they year a decade ago and I'm sh*te.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #70: Jun 04, 2013 09:29:57 am

Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then and I'm not so sure Reading's player of the season is better than him.  :-\
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #71: Jun 04, 2013 09:40:21 am
      Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then and I'm not so sure Reading's player of the season is better than him.  :-\

Exactly my point too. Skrtel was our player of the season couple of seasons back.He suddenly can't turn bad enough for us to sell him. Give the lad a chance and save money on these senseless signings.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #72: Jun 04, 2013 10:37:24 am
      Fair point.

I think Skrtel is a much better player than he has shown this season as well Mouse.

But I get the impression the boss doesn't rate him and I'd rather he got the defenders in that he wants rather than keep one he doesn't.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #73: Jun 04, 2013 10:48:16 am
      I was the kwinana under 11's player of they year a decade ago and I'm sh*te.
      I played twice for my primary school team and I am a very fat b***ard !
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #74: Jun 04, 2013 10:52:32 am
      Pearce would do a decent job for us as his attributes would suit us, just the same as Evans does for Utd so if the manager thinks he can do a job on a free with one less place to worry about then so be it!...Just trust the manager/scouts!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #75: Jun 04, 2013 10:58:38 am
       As usual people making lots of assumptions based on not very much. I quite like Martin Skrtel myself, and if Pearce is in the same class then he is a steal for a freebie. That said, who is saying he is? It could be that the boss sees his new central defensive best pair as this Pappawhatsisface bloke and Agger, with Toure as first back up. That being the case, Skrtel is obviously not going to put up with being fourth choice and fair enough, he's too good a player for that.

So it could just be that this Pearce character is being brought in with a view to getting maybe a dozen or so appearances as cover/off the bench etc, and as such if we can get a few quid for Martin then the move starts to make a bit of sense. Also, you never know but Pearce may even be quite good. A completely ridiculous idea I know but stranger things have happened.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #76: Jun 04, 2013 11:00:59 am
      As usual people making lots of assumptions based on not very much. I quite like Martin Skrtel myself, and if Pearce is in the same class then he is a steal for a freebie. That said, who is saying he is? It could be that the boss sees his new central defensive best pair as this Pappawhatsisface bloke and Agger, with Toure as first back up. That being the case, Skrtel is obviously not going to put up with being fourth choice and fair enough, he's too good a player for that.

So it could just be that this Pearce character is being brought in with a view to getting maybe a dozen or so appearances as cover/off the bench etc, and as such if we can get a few quid for Martin then the move starts to make a bit of sense. Also, you never know but Pearce may even be quite good. A completely ridiculous idea I know but stranger things have happened.

All good points Mick.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #77: Jun 04, 2013 12:21:42 pm

Don't go talking like that. We'll have no common sense around here.  :f_doh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #78: Jun 04, 2013 02:57:02 pm
      Magpies may hijack Liverpool’s Pearce bid
      NEWCASTLE United could try and pip Liverpool to the signing of Reading defender Alex Pearce.

The Magpies are weighing up a last-gasp bid for the centre-half, who is out of contract this summer.

Pearce has been linked with a move to Liverpool for almost a year, having been made captain of Reading when Brendan Rodgers was manager.

And with Jamie Carragher having retired, and doubt remaining over the future of fellow Reds centre-halves Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, Liverpool boss Rodgers is keen to bolster his defensive ranks.

Liverpool are thought to be close to tying up the signing of Pearce, but Newcastle are also keeping an eye on the player’s situation as doubts remain over captain Fabricio Coloccini’s future.

Pearce, a Republic of Ireland international, has turned down a new contract at Reading and is available on a free transfer.

The 24-year-old lost his place in the Reading side last season because of the contract situation and was unable to prevent the Royals from being relegated.

With Pardew keen to bring more height and aerial ability to his side, particularly at set-pieces, Pearce fits the bill. The 6ft 2in stopper scored on his Ireland debut and notched five goals in Reading’s Championship-winning season.

Talking about the season just finished, in which Newcastle failed to score a goal from a corner, Pardew said: “The big fall down has been the centre-backs scoring goals from set plays. We need to have more dominance in that area.

“We’re not the strongest attacking-wise (from set pieces) and that is an area that we need to look at.”

Newcastle have also been linked again with a £4m move for West Ham defender James Tomkins, who Pardew knows well from his time in charge at Upton Park.

Tomkins has slipped down the pecking order under Sam Allardyce, despite signing a new contract in January, and could be cashed in to help fund the Hammers’ bid for Andy Carroll.

The Shields Gazette
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #79: Jun 04, 2013 09:59:19 pm

Yep good in the championship, hardly played last season cos he wouldn't sign a new contract.

Can feel a tapping up charge coming from the FA if we do sign him!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #80: Jun 05, 2013 10:05:48 am
      But I get the impression the boss doesn't rate him and I'd rather he got the defenders in that he wants rather than keep one he doesn't.
      That goes without saying Si; I was just pointing out that, in the scheme of things, being a Club's "player of the season" (2011/12) doesn't count for much really.

If Brendan wants Pearce so be it; if he doesn't "rate" Skrtel, (because he doesn't fit "the profile") fair enough. It's his team after all and it wouldn't be the first time that Brendan has shown no fear with decisions like this. He didn't "rate" Carroll (because he didn't fit "the profile") and shipped him out whilst bringing in young Borini (who, it's safe to assume, did fit): the same may be argued about Allen over Adam/Aquilani, I suppose.

It might well be up for debate (in other threads) who are the better players; outgoing or incoming - what's not debatable is that the incoming players are younger and easier paid.

For the record; I have no problem, whatsoever, with the signing of Alex Pearce (if it happens). Like I wrote earlier; it could well be that Reading made a grave mistake by not playing the lad more.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2013 10:51:08 am by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #81: Jun 05, 2013 10:49:40 am
      I only judge players I actually watch.
      Makes sense that.  :gt-happyup:

An awful lot of folk are happy to comment on players they've "signed"/"watched" on FM and while I know it doesn't really count as "watching"; what are his stats like on there Diego?  :confused-smiley-013:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #82: Jun 05, 2013 11:07:37 am
      That goes without saying Si; I was just pointing out that, in the scheme of things, being a Club's "player of the season" (2011/12) doesn't count for much really.

If Brendan wants Pearce so be it; if he doesn't "rate" Skrtel, (because he doesn't fit "the profile") fair enough. It's his team after all and it wouldn't be the first time that Brendan has shown no fear with decisions like this. He didn't "rate" Carroll (because he didn't fit "the profile") and shipped him out whilst bringing in young Borini (who, it's safe to assume, did fit): the same may be argued about Allen over Adam/Aquilani, I suppose.

It might well be up for debate (in other threads) who are the better players; outgoing or incoming - what's not debatable is that the incoming players are younger and easier paid.

For the record; I have no problem, whatsoever, with the signing of Alex Pearce (if it happens). Like I wrote earlier; it could well be that Reading made a grave mistake by not playing the lad more.

All good points Mouse especially the one about the signings being younger and easier paid.

I only hope that if Brendan does sign Pearce and sells Skrtel for example its because he thinks he is a better player and not just to try and save money.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Jun 05, 2013 12:48:53 pm
      Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then

I think so anyway, Rodgers doesn't seem too keen though
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Jun 05, 2013 02:32:17 pm
      Makes sense that.  :gt-happyup:

An awful lot of folk are happy to comment on players they've "signed"/"watched" on FM and while I know it doesn't really count as "watching"; what are his stats like on there Diego?  :confused-smiley-013:

They're decent if I'm not mistaken, not at home now so can't check. But if he was anything great on FM I would probably have known his name prior to us being linked to him ;D

Quick Reply