Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Clément Grenier (Lyon)

Read 3072 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Clément Grenier (Lyon)
      May 28, 2013 05:48:43 pm
       Le gazump: Are Liverpool flashing cash for Arsenal's French fancy Clement Grenier?
      It's rumour time... and 'like' a player until you are blue in the face, nothing speaks louder than an actual £12.8m bid, in cash money, on the table...

Liverpool are rumoured to have made a move to beat Arsenal to Lyon playmaker Clement Grenier by tabling a firm £12.8million (Euro15m) offer.

Arsene Wenger has had his eye on Grenier - a player he has dubbed as 'like Samir Nasri' - for some time, but if the reports in the French media are correct, Brendan Rodgers is trying to jump the queue.

According to French media outlet Le 10 Sport - who cite national sports daily L'Equipe as their source - Liverpool have looked to cut to the chase with a solid bid, though this is as yet unconfirmed by anyone, anywhere.

Time is ticking for Lyon, and the pressure to sell growing - Grenier enters the final year of his contract next month, and he shows no signs yet of signing an extension.

The lad has previously been reported to be putting the squeeze on Lyon by seeking a wage hike from his current £68,000 to £210,000 - though that's PER MONTH, so while it might have the Rhone club sweating it's unlikely to prove a major stumbling block to a Premier League side

The club's president has reportedly put a Euro 37million price tag on the 22-year-old France star - which could read as the opening salvo in what he hopes will become a bidding war. Lyon nearly cashed-in on Grenier last summer, with a move to Nice cued-up.

'He's not ready'

Lyon coach Remi Garde is working hard to get Grenier to stay, and reportedly told RMC radio in France: "I already did all I could so that he didn't join Nice last summer. I know the talent and ambition of Clement.

"I've told him that, at Lyon, there's everything for him to be able to continue his progress, and then go to a club where he'll establish himself as soon as he arrives. I think he's still got a little way to go at Lyon."

Garde was an Arsenal player himself - joining from Strasbourg in 1996 at Arsene Wenger's recommendation, though the future Gunners boss was still technically seeing out a contract elsewhere before switching to north London.

Arsenal have also got more than a passing interest in Lyon skipper Maxime Gonalons - as reported here at the beginning of this month.

The 24-year-old midfielder is rated by Lyon at £15million - and if the Grenier deal is wobbling under Liverpool pressure, Wenger could go back to Plan A.

Pity. Plan B looked a bit useful....

Daily Mirror
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Re: Clément Grenier (Lyon)
      Reply #1: May 28, 2013 05:54:07 pm
      According to French media outlet Le 10 Sport - who cite national sports daily L'Equipe as their source - Liverpool have looked to cut to the chase with a solid bid, though this is as yet unconfirmed by anyone, anywhere.

So the 'rumour' is based on pure thin air then...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #2: May 28, 2013 06:05:52 pm
      As I've mentioned elsewhere, watched a fair bit of Ligue 1 this year.

Grenier looked a very handy player indeed, can see where the Nasri comparisons are coming from as well.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: May 28, 2013 11:39:54 pm
      Must say never seen the lad play and in all honesty I lost a bit of touch with the French ligue this year.

So is the lad a "number 10" type playmaker that sits behind the striker. If so I personally think Coutinho should have a permanent hold on that position.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4: May 28, 2013 11:58:32 pm
      French pal of mine says he is very promising and could be an extremely good signing.
      Sourse: French fella.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #5: May 29, 2013 02:55:37 am
      I had assumed that Arsenal was going to sign well known players after their talk of having money to spent big.

Haven't heard of this Clement Grenier until he was link with Arsenal first and was being said to be the new Nasri. Is our rumour for Eriksen still holds strong?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: May 29, 2013 02:47:25 pm
      As I've mentioned elsewhere, watched a fair bit of Ligue 1 this year.

Grenier looked a very handy player indeed, can see where the Nasri comparisons are coming from as well.

I'm sort of the opposite. I've watched very little French football this year. I really focused on the Bundesliga.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: May 29, 2013 04:10:45 pm
      French pal of mine says he is very promising and could be an extremely good signing.

That's good enough for me! ;D Let's get him :P
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #8: May 30, 2013 06:36:04 am

I think somebody needs a good game of pool, a drink, and a talk about how you shouldn't talk to French people.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #9: May 30, 2013 01:16:01 pm
      Let's see what Houllier has to say about that then...Houll?....Houll?...are ya there?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2013 03:58:23 pm
      Sunday Express: Clement Grenier is set to snub Liverpool and Juventus to join Arsenal.

Quick Reply