Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Alex Pearce (Reading)

Read 11660 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Re: Alex Pearce - Reading
      Reply #23: May 31, 2013 10:21:00 pm
      No idea who she is but think after the picture above with Ayre, the cat was already well out of the bag on this one FL. I just don't understand it and it's another Rodgers old boy.

Likely just depth I'm guessing. Don't know much about him other than the scouting report I read on TIA. He doesn't really sound bad, just not starting 11 material. If he's cheap, I see no problem with the buy for depth.

I still don't worry that much about coaches going after former players. They know them best and they understand them better than anyone else.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: May 31, 2013 10:32:49 pm
      Likely just depth I'm guessing. Don't know much about him other than the scouting report I read on TIA. He doesn't really sound bad, just not starting 11 material. If he's cheap, I see no problem with the buy for depth.

I still don't worry that much about coaches going after former players. They know them best and they understand them better than anyone else.

Again, the argument of a squad full average players isn't depth, it's simply an overload of surplus players you're building up to have to eventually get rid of.

Depth = players who have potential to challenge for a first team place or at least close to it.

Coaches revisiting old grounds is fine if the coach in question doesn't currently have the track record of Allen/Borini costing Ā£27m combined and about to add Alex Pearce a player 99% of this forum would suggest wont be a regular for us. I'd rather give the time he could play to Wisdom/Coady/Kelly/Lloyd Jones why add 'depth' that will simply make these lads want his wages when they pass him in the pecking order?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: May 31, 2013 10:39:40 pm
      Oh, the overreaction about Suarez potentially leaving as Pearce is coming. I look forward to it... NOT!

Rafa signed many free players that were not useful at all, yet everyone here loves him.

Let's give the manager a vote of confidence for a change. Pearce did not play too much this season but he was Reading's player of the year when they won the Championship. Only 24, possibly nothing but a squad player. Who knows.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #26: May 31, 2013 11:00:52 pm
      Have a bad, bad feeling about how Rodgers will spend the 'Suarez money'. F**k this kind of signing in the ass.

You not happy with Coutinho and Sturridge then?

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: May 31, 2013 11:02:53 pm
      Could be worse,  we could  be after Titus Bramble.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #28: May 31, 2013 11:03:54 pm
      A squad player on a free that will be on low wages, what's the problem other than he looks like Ayre's dad?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: May 31, 2013 11:08:36 pm
      A squad player on a free that will be on low wages, what's the problem other than he looks like Ayre's dad?

Depends on the situation of him joining. Is he replacing Skrtel? Is he replacing Coates? If he does in fact replace Skrtel then that is actually piss poor and it would then mean that Toure will be a starter for us and our defence will be considerably weaker.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #30: May 31, 2013 11:09:04 pm

It always happens when we are linked with unfashionable players as some people think we will always buy or should buy players like Suarez.

Football isn't like this and sometimes you need a couple of solid players in the squad.

Having said that I've never seen Pearce play, and if I did I cant remember it, so cant comment on whether he would be a decent signing or not.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: May 31, 2013 11:11:50 pm
      Having said that I've never seen Pearce play, and if I did I cant remember it, so cant comment on whether he would be a decent signing or not.

That's the main thing for me - I understand the skepticism about the signing and why people won't be running naked in the streets to celebrate when we announce him, but how many posters here have actually watched him on a regular basis?

If no one has, then why how on Earth can we judge him? If someone has watched him a significant number of times, then I would greatly appreciate some kind of scout report here ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,249 posts | 2799 
      Reply #32: May 31, 2013 11:12:47 pm
      Quote (selected)

I would rather see Coates, Kelly and Wisdom given chances at centre back to be honest.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: May 31, 2013 11:13:02 pm
      It always happens when we are linked with unfashionable players as some people think we will always buy or should buy players like Suarez.

Football isn't like this and sometimes you need a couple of solid players in the squad.

He was Reading's back up, the same Reading that conceded 73 goals last season, the same one that their fans are even saying we should be aiming higher.

I can only see him coming in at around 5th/6th choice CB behind Agger/Skrtel (his replacement) Toure / Kelly (Brendan already said he sees him as CB when he tried to sign him on loan) and then Wisdom / Pearce. I'd prefer Coady given a chance and save the Ā£20k a week to lure a better player in the starting XI, makes 0 sense to me this signing, absolute 0.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #34: May 31, 2013 11:15:16 pm
      That's the main thing for me - I understand the skepticism about the signing and why people won't be running naked in the streets to celebrate when we announce him, but how many posters here have actually watched him on a regular basis?

If no one has, then why how on Earth can we judge him? If someone has watched him a significant number of times, then I would greatly appreciate some kind of scout report here ;D

Indeed and it happens all the time mate.

If its not a big name, or sometimes a foreign name, some people are just not interested and automatically think the players isn't good enough.

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #35: May 31, 2013 11:26:03 pm
      If true that he is close to signing, I can't really complain that much. A centre half, position we will need a few players in and a free transfer. Whether or not he is good enough is another issue. Give him a chance. As Diego said, how many of us have actually seen him play? Brendan has and no the effort he puts in.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: May 31, 2013 11:27:27 pm
      Talking about scout report, I found this one about him, written in December. I can't possibly judge its quality since I have hardly seen Pearce play, but here it goes:

LFC Scout Report: Alex Pearce

Alex Pearce
      Date of Birth: 9th November 1988 (Age 24)
      Place of Birth: Wallingford, England
      Club: Reading
      Position: Centre Back
      Height: 6ft 2

Alex Pearce is a highly rated defender who has worked previously under Rogers during Rodgers brief spell at Reading. In fact, Rodgers rates him so highly that Pearce was named the vice-captain of the Reading team at the age of 20. As a player Pearce is a very strong defender who goes hard into tackles and is an absolute beast of a defender in the air. He is one of those defenders who can not only win areal duels but head the ball well and direct it to a team-mate. His areal presence is always a threat from corners and he has scored a decent amount of goals from corners in the championship.

Although he is not the fastest of players, he has an astute reading of the game and is able to intercept a fair share of passes. Confident in possession he looks to use the balls that he retrieves constructively. He has often been praised for his work ethics and his organisational skills and also possesses a good deal of leadership quality. Last season he was part of the title winning team in the championship, conceding the fewest amount of goals in the division. Reading are the sort of a team that likes to keep it tight at the back and build their attacks from a strong defensive foundation, and Pearce was at the heart of their defensive solidarity. He formed a formidable partnership with Kaspars Gorkss and having an experienced partner helped him improve his games by leaps and bounds.

Pearce was also Readingā€™s player of the season 2012. He however lost his place in the Reading team after just 4 games into the Premier League season. While he did look a bit shaky in defence, so did the entire team and he was, in my opinion, the best of all the Reading defenders and seemed to have adapted well to the life in the Premier League.

Adrian Mariappa, who McDermott seems to rate higher, has replaced Pearce at the heart of the defence. While McDermott paired Mariappa with Gorkss, in my opinion the best Reading defensive pairing would be Pearce playing left of Mariappa especially considering that Reading have been shipping goals for free without Pearce.

The reason, I think, Pearce is being shunned has got more to do with the contract situation than tactics. While he has proved his talent in the championship without a doubt questions still remain of his ability to perform in the premiership. McDermott finally gave Pearce a place on the starting 11 this week against Manchester City and he slotted right in. Even though Reading lost the game in extra time, the character and resilience shown by the Reading defence was commendable. Pearce communicated with the other defenders well, showed good organisational skills and rarely lost his man. He was a real physical presence and won a fair share of headers. On the back of that performance I think he will stay as a part of the back four for the next few games at least.

With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, it seems a good bet to sign him for a knockdown price of about 3 million Euros, or better still get him sign a pre-contract agreement and sign him on for a free in the summer. At 24 he seems to tick a lot of boxes. Young, strong, talented, committed and available on the cheap: a typical FSG signing. Even if his development is not stellar, he will undoubtedly provide a good cover for our defence, especially if as reported Coates is going to be loaned out.

This is Anfield
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #37: Jun 01, 2013 12:06:44 am
      Talking about scout report, I found this one about him, written in December. I can't possibly judge its quality since I have hardly seen Pearce play, but here it goes:

Alex Pearce

Alex Pearce is a highly rated defender who has worked previously under Rogers during Rodgers brief spell at Reading. In fact, Rodgers rates him so highly that Pearce was named the vice-captain of the Reading team at the age of 20. As a player Pearce is a very strong defender who goes hard into tackles and is an absolute beast of a defender in the air. He is one of those defenders who can not only win areal duels but head the ball well and direct it to a team-mate. His areal presence is always a threat from corners and he has scored a decent amount of goals from corners in the championship.

Although he is not the fastest of players, he has an astute reading of the game and is able to intercept a fair share of passes. Confident in possession he looks to use the balls that he retrieves constructively. He has often been praised for his work ethics and his organisational skills and also possesses a good deal of leadership quality. Last season he was part of the title winning team in the championship, conceding the fewest amount of goals in the division. Reading are the sort of a team that likes to keep it tight at the back and build their attacks from a strong defensive foundation, and Pearce was at the heart of their defensive solidarity. He formed a formidable partnership with Kaspars Gorkss and having an experienced partner helped him improve his games by leaps and bounds.

Pearce was also Readingā€™s player of the season 2012. He however lost his place in the Reading team after just 4 games into the Premier League season. While he did look a bit shaky in defence, so did the entire team and he was, in my opinion, the best of all the Reading defenders and seemed to have adapted well to the life in the Premier League.

Adrian Mariappa, who McDermott seems to rate higher, has replaced Pearce at the heart of the defence. While McDermott paired Mariappa with Gorkss, in my opinion the best Reading defensive pairing would be Pearce playing left of Mariappa especially considering that Reading have been shipping goals for free without Pearce.

The reason, I think, Pearce is being shunned has got more to do with the contract situation than tactics. While he has proved his talent in the championship without a doubt questions still remain of his ability to perform in the premiership. McDermott finally gave Pearce a place on the starting 11 this week against Manchester City and he slotted right in. Even though Reading lost the game in extra time, the character and resilience shown by the Reading defence was commendable. Pearce communicated with the other defenders well, showed good organisational skills and rarely lost his man. He was a real physical presence and won a fair share of headers. On the back of that performance I think he will stay as a part of the back four for the next few games at least.

With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, it seems a good bet to sign him for a knockdown price of about 3 million Euros, or better still get him sign a pre-contract agreement and sign him on for a free in the summer. At 24 he seems to tick a lot of boxes. Young, strong, talented, committed and available on the cheap: a typical FSG signing. Even if his development is not stellar, he will undoubtedly provide a good cover for our defence, especially if as reported Coates is going to be loaned out.

This is Anfield

Interesting report. The overall conclusion seems to be that he is a decent player without being outstanding. As cover, I am happy signing him. Could be a replacement for Coates?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #38: Jun 01, 2013 12:10:10 am
      We are buying from the Spanish second division. Is that not a scouting job?

So he has one scout.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #39: Jun 01, 2013 12:24:11 am

Alex Pearce

This is Anfield

That's like a text version of a youtube video.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #40: Jun 01, 2013 01:02:19 am
      John o'shea
      Wes brown
      Henning berg.
      (Brain too muddled to remember others but u get my point)

And so on.

All players that were in winning teams but were distinctly average at their current clubs.

If BR reckons Pearce is a good player then in a better team surely he'll be an improved player?

Thoughts.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĆ¼rgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #41: Jun 01, 2013 01:11:45 am
      This lad is a good honest pro. Why not have him as back up. On a free, low enough wages,experience at PL level& the slog of championship games too,what's the problem?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Jun 01, 2013 09:20:01 am
      This lad is a good honest pro. Why not have him as back up. On a free, low enough wages,experience at PL level& the slog of championship games too,what's the problem?

Because we have Coates, Wisdom, Kelly 3 young lads with huge prospects at centre half. If we sign the likes of Pearce its knocks them back in the pecking order. Theyll get the odd game in at full back. Eventually we loset hem and they go on to be boss at another club and were left with red faces
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Alex Pearce (Reading)
      Reply #43: Jun 01, 2013 09:41:14 am
      Thanks God some of our current fans weren't around when we signed the likes of Keegan, Rush, Clemence, Rob Jones etc etc.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Jun 01, 2013 09:46:07 am
      Thanks God some of our current fans weren't around when we signed the likes of Keegan, Rush, Clemence, Rob Jones etc etc.
      Don't forget Heighway,Hall and Jimmy Case and the best of the lot Roger Hunt and quite a few others as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #45: Jun 01, 2013 09:56:49 am
      Tony Barrett saying we are NOT signing Alex Pearce.

Quick Reply