Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Alex Pearce (Reading)

Read 11691 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Alex Pearce (Reading)
      Reply #69: Jun 03, 2013 10:31:13 pm
      Readings player of the year in 11/12 season. Must have something about him.
      I was the kwinana under 11's player of they year a decade ago and I'm sh*te.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #70: Jun 04, 2013 09:29:57 am

Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then and I'm not so sure Reading's player of the season is better than him.  :-\
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #71: Jun 04, 2013 09:40:21 am
      Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then and I'm not so sure Reading's player of the season is better than him.  :-\

Exactly my point too. Skrtel was our player of the season couple of seasons back.He suddenly can't turn bad enough for us to sell him. Give the lad a chance and save money on these senseless signings.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #72: Jun 04, 2013 10:37:24 am
      Fair point.

I think Skrtel is a much better player than he has shown this season as well Mouse.

But I get the impression the boss doesn't rate him and I'd rather he got the defenders in that he wants rather than keep one he doesn't.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #73: Jun 04, 2013 10:48:16 am
      I was the kwinana under 11's player of they year a decade ago and I'm sh*te.
      I played twice for my primary school team and I am a very fat b***ard !
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #74: Jun 04, 2013 10:52:32 am
      Pearce would do a decent job for us as his attributes would suit us, just the same as Evans does for Utd so if the manager thinks he can do a job on a free with one less place to worry about then so be it!...Just trust the manager/scouts!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #75: Jun 04, 2013 10:58:38 am
       As usual people making lots of assumptions based on not very much. I quite like Martin Skrtel myself, and if Pearce is in the same class then he is a steal for a freebie. That said, who is saying he is? It could be that the boss sees his new central defensive best pair as this Pappawhatsisface bloke and Agger, with Toure as first back up. That being the case, Skrtel is obviously not going to put up with being fourth choice and fair enough, he's too good a player for that.

So it could just be that this Pearce character is being brought in with a view to getting maybe a dozen or so appearances as cover/off the bench etc, and as such if we can get a few quid for Martin then the move starts to make a bit of sense. Also, you never know but Pearce may even be quite good. A completely ridiculous idea I know but stranger things have happened.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #76: Jun 04, 2013 11:00:59 am
      As usual people making lots of assumptions based on not very much. I quite like Martin Skrtel myself, and if Pearce is in the same class then he is a steal for a freebie. That said, who is saying he is? It could be that the boss sees his new central defensive best pair as this Pappawhatsisface bloke and Agger, with Toure as first back up. That being the case, Skrtel is obviously not going to put up with being fourth choice and fair enough, he's too good a player for that.

So it could just be that this Pearce character is being brought in with a view to getting maybe a dozen or so appearances as cover/off the bench etc, and as such if we can get a few quid for Martin then the move starts to make a bit of sense. Also, you never know but Pearce may even be quite good. A completely ridiculous idea I know but stranger things have happened.

All good points Mick.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #77: Jun 04, 2013 12:21:42 pm

Don't go talking like that. We'll have no common sense around here.  :f_doh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #78: Jun 04, 2013 02:57:02 pm
      Magpies may hijack Liverpool’s Pearce bid
      NEWCASTLE United could try and pip Liverpool to the signing of Reading defender Alex Pearce.

The Magpies are weighing up a last-gasp bid for the centre-half, who is out of contract this summer.

Pearce has been linked with a move to Liverpool for almost a year, having been made captain of Reading when Brendan Rodgers was manager.

And with Jamie Carragher having retired, and doubt remaining over the future of fellow Reds centre-halves Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, Liverpool boss Rodgers is keen to bolster his defensive ranks.

Liverpool are thought to be close to tying up the signing of Pearce, but Newcastle are also keeping an eye on the player’s situation as doubts remain over captain Fabricio Coloccini’s future.

Pearce, a Republic of Ireland international, has turned down a new contract at Reading and is available on a free transfer.

The 24-year-old lost his place in the Reading side last season because of the contract situation and was unable to prevent the Royals from being relegated.

With Pardew keen to bring more height and aerial ability to his side, particularly at set-pieces, Pearce fits the bill. The 6ft 2in stopper scored on his Ireland debut and notched five goals in Reading’s Championship-winning season.

Talking about the season just finished, in which Newcastle failed to score a goal from a corner, Pardew said: “The big fall down has been the centre-backs scoring goals from set plays. We need to have more dominance in that area.

“We’re not the strongest attacking-wise (from set pieces) and that is an area that we need to look at.”

Newcastle have also been linked again with a £4m move for West Ham defender James Tomkins, who Pardew knows well from his time in charge at Upton Park.

Tomkins has slipped down the pecking order under Sam Allardyce, despite signing a new contract in January, and could be cashed in to help fund the Hammers’ bid for Andy Carroll.

The Shields Gazette
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #79: Jun 04, 2013 09:59:19 pm

Yep good in the championship, hardly played last season cos he wouldn't sign a new contract.

Can feel a tapping up charge coming from the FA if we do sign him!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #80: Jun 05, 2013 10:05:48 am
      But I get the impression the boss doesn't rate him and I'd rather he got the defenders in that he wants rather than keep one he doesn't.
      That goes without saying Si; I was just pointing out that, in the scheme of things, being a Club's "player of the season" (2011/12) doesn't count for much really.

If Brendan wants Pearce so be it; if he doesn't "rate" Skrtel, (because he doesn't fit "the profile") fair enough. It's his team after all and it wouldn't be the first time that Brendan has shown no fear with decisions like this. He didn't "rate" Carroll (because he didn't fit "the profile") and shipped him out whilst bringing in young Borini (who, it's safe to assume, did fit): the same may be argued about Allen over Adam/Aquilani, I suppose.

It might well be up for debate (in other threads) who are the better players; outgoing or incoming - what's not debatable is that the incoming players are younger and easier paid.

For the record; I have no problem, whatsoever, with the signing of Alex Pearce (if it happens). Like I wrote earlier; it could well be that Reading made a grave mistake by not playing the lad more.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2013 10:51:08 am by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #81: Jun 05, 2013 10:49:40 am
      I only judge players I actually watch.
      Makes sense that.  :gt-happyup:

An awful lot of folk are happy to comment on players they've "signed"/"watched" on FM and while I know it doesn't really count as "watching"; what are his stats like on there Diego?  :confused-smiley-013:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #82: Jun 05, 2013 11:07:37 am
      That goes without saying Si; I was just pointing out that, in the scheme of things, being a Club's "player of the season" (2011/12) doesn't count for much really.

If Brendan wants Pearce so be it; if he doesn't "rate" Skrtel, (because he doesn't fit "the profile") fair enough. It's his team after all and it wouldn't be the first time that Brendan has shown no fear with decisions like this. He didn't "rate" Carroll (because he didn't fit "the profile") and shipped him out whilst bringing in young Borini (who, it's safe to assume, did fit): the same may be argued about Allen over Adam/Aquilani, I suppose.

It might well be up for debate (in other threads) who are the better players; outgoing or incoming - what's not debatable is that the incoming players are younger and easier paid.

For the record; I have no problem, whatsoever, with the signing of Alex Pearce (if it happens). Like I wrote earlier; it could well be that Reading made a grave mistake by not playing the lad more.

All good points Mouse especially the one about the signings being younger and easier paid.

I only hope that if Brendan does sign Pearce and sells Skrtel for example its because he thinks he is a better player and not just to try and save money.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Jun 05, 2013 12:48:53 pm
      Fair point.

Liverpool's player of the season 2011/12 must have something about him too then

I think so anyway, Rodgers doesn't seem too keen though
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Jun 05, 2013 02:32:17 pm
      Makes sense that.  :gt-happyup:

An awful lot of folk are happy to comment on players they've "signed"/"watched" on FM and while I know it doesn't really count as "watching"; what are his stats like on there Diego?  :confused-smiley-013:

They're decent if I'm not mistaken, not at home now so can't check. But if he was anything great on FM I would probably have known his name prior to us being linked to him ;D

Quick Reply