Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)

Read 25650 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)
      Reply #207: Jun 23, 2013 07:48:21 pm
      Not sure if he still does, but he used to start over Courtois.

He did, mate but Courtois is young for a keeper that's why. He's widely regarded as Belgium's number 1 now. As I said, that's not a slight on Mignolet, Belgium are just blessed in that department.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #208: Jun 23, 2013 08:10:15 pm
      For now I'm just going to take what I've heard as gospel until told otherwise by anybody of relevance.

Rodgers and Reina went for a meal a couple of months ago and Reina was informed that there was going to be a signing that would give him serious competition for his Number 1 choice spot and that Pepe is at least for this season staying.

If we have these two competing for a place we should embrace it because for all of Brad Jones' likeability, to me, he is no better than a Number 3 keeper for us. I can't remember either him or Cavalieri coming even close to threatening Reina for his place even when his form did dip and maybe this is part of why his form dropped.

Put the money issue aside for now and look upon this as a very healthy signing for now and the future.

We don't, at this point at least, know whether or not this is a signing that is clever with regards to what money is available, so its not worth making assumptions or moaning about that side until all of our Summer's dealings have reached a conclusion.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #209: Jun 23, 2013 08:35:08 pm
      I actually think this is going to be a rather smart signing -- as long as Pepe stays. Pepe might very well be in his last year with us, and for that I'll be very sad to see him go, but Mignolet will bring in some seriously healthy competition this season, plus he'll get a full season to bed-in and adjust to being a Liverpool player. It's difficult for young keepers to make that jump to a big club with that kind of pressure and be an instant success. Look at de Gea's first season with United compared to this past season, for example.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #210: Jun 23, 2013 08:58:02 pm
      Just can't see us having 10m on the bench every game, year before the World Cup when we need back up in so many departments

Besides one of them has to be no.1 so would mignolet come here if he wasn't no.1? It wouldn't show much ambition if he came to play no.2

So pepe on the bench worth 10m on 100k plus a week 3 yr contract holding all the cards. Maybe Barca don't come in at all maybe no one will pay him that wage so he just hangs around because he has no better options and his family are settled.

Really confused about this whole deal..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #211: Jun 23, 2013 10:10:37 pm
      Either Pepe or Mignolet on the bench is a darn sight better than having Brad Jones!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #212: Jun 24, 2013 02:00:43 am
      Either Pepe or Mignolet on the bench is a darn sight better than having Brad Jones!

Indeed, really like Brad as a person, but as a keeper he scares the living sh*te out of me. Everytime he's near the ball I get a nervous twitch so perhaps there is some truth in Pepe not going after all.

Whether that's because he's staying or another year then off to Barca, I don't know but having a back up as either of them is a step in the right direction for next year, there's no doubt about that.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #213: Jun 24, 2013 02:57:43 pm
      Indeed, really like Brad as a person, but as a keeper he scares the living sh*te out of me. Everytime he's near the ball I get a nervous twitch so perhaps there is some truth in Pepe not going after all.

Same here :D Brad is a likable guy and we all want him to do well but the cold hard truth is that he is not EPL material.

As for Mignolet, I find this pretty weird from his perspective, he could be a starter in most of EPL sides, I don't see why he would want to come and sit on the bench. I really don't want to see Pepe go though, so I hope that is exactly what he's coming for.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #214: Jun 24, 2013 04:30:16 pm
      Same here :D Brad is a likable guy and we all want him to do well but the cold hard truth is that he is not EPL material.

As for Mignolet, I find this pretty weird from his perspective, he could be a starter in most of EPL sides, I don't see why he would want to come and sit on the bench. I really don't want to see Pepe go though, so I hope that is exactly what he's coming for.

I think Mignolet is being brought in with the understanding that he will only be behind Pepe for a max of 1 season.  Seems like Pepe is bound for Barca, but most likely next summer as it seems Valdes is intent on running his contract down so that he can bank a nice little signing bonus when he leaves!!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #215: Jun 24, 2013 05:07:57 pm
      I think Mignolet is being brought in with the understanding that he will only be behind Pepe for a max of 1 season.  Seems like Pepe is bound for Barca, but most likely next summer as it seems Valdes is intent on running his contract down so that he can bank a nice little signing bonus when he leaves!!

Price is a little steep - but in many ways, a no-brainer signing. If Pepe stays, he has some serious competition for the jersey, which cannot be a bad thing - and if he goes, we have a decent enough replacement.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #216: Jun 24, 2013 06:34:18 pm
      Perhaps Rodgers noting Reina that he was going in for someone like Mignolet a few months back is a reason for his resurgent form which we saw from him towards the end of the season. The fact that Reina was making mistakes but could easily slot back in the next week was not good for anyone, most of all Pepe himself. I really hope Reina stays because I think with Mignolet alongside him then we will see him at his best.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #217: Jun 24, 2013 07:17:16 pm
      m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23011973

This could be wrapped up tomorrow.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #218: Jun 24, 2013 11:32:35 pm
      good player and a good transfer.  If Pepe stays, then brilliant, we have two 'keepers fighting it out, but if he goes then we've got a good back up.

insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #219: Jun 24, 2013 11:36:50 pm
      Pepe has had a few injuries in the last couple of seasons, Jones is a championship level keeper. We need a better back-up.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #220: Jun 25, 2013 12:40:16 am
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/simon-mignolet-rival-pepe-reina-4702610 I wouldn't see him as a replacement for Pepe but as a better back up keeper than Jones instead .
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #221: Jun 25, 2013 01:26:26 am
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #222: Jun 25, 2013 01:47:22 am
      I really hope he isn't a replacement for Pepe but I do believe he will become a very good keeper.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it does seem unlikely that we'll spend £9-11 million on a back up keeper, not unless we have plans to make him our first choice keeper.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #223: Jun 25, 2013 08:04:38 am
      If Pepe stays, then brilliant, we have two 'keepers fighting it out, but if he goes then we've got a good back up.

I don't know mate; to be honest I've never been convinced by Jones. Nothing much against the lad [Jones] but I wouldn't describe him as "good".  :-\
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #224: Jun 25, 2013 11:27:36 am
      Big bad Brad must be off now yet he only signed a new deal around christmas time  ???
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #225: Jun 25, 2013 11:48:07 am
      Big bad Brad must be off now yet he only signed a new deal around christmas time  ???
      We need a third string keeper. Might as well be him.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #226: Jun 25, 2013 02:19:53 pm
      He'll be our tour guide for the Aussie visit ;)

Mignolet medical done apparently. Could be confirmed today.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #227: Jun 25, 2013 08:36:10 pm
      Sounds like this is gonna be announced in the next hour...
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #228: Jun 25, 2013 08:42:47 pm
      gerrard8pool
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts |
      Reply #229: Jun 25, 2013 08:43:22 pm
      It's official http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/mignolet-completes-liverpool-switch
      Mignolet completes Liverpool switch
      25th Jun 2013 - Latest News

0 CommentsPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of Belgium international goalkeeper Simon Mignolet from Sunderland.

The deal with the Black Cats is now complete and the 25-year-old has penned a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.

He becomes the first Belgian to represent the Reds - and has been welcomed to the club by manager Brendan Rodgers.

"I am delighted that we have been able to sign one of the top goalkeepers in the Barclays Premier League," said Rodgers.

"Simon will join a club that will give him an opportunity to demonstrate and improve his huge talent."

Mignolet is widely regarded as one of the best young stoppers in Europe and has 13 caps for his country.

He made 90 appearances during his time at the Stadium of Light after arriving from hometown club Sint-Truiden in 2010.

Quick Reply