Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar Donetsk > Borussia Dortmund)

Read 100195 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar Donetsk)
      Reply #23: Jun 04, 2013 07:47:54 am
      Weren't you the guy  who said we could judge players after 6 games?

If so, Joe Allen was boss after 6 games for us so you haven't got much to moan about.

he wasn't "boss" after 6 games, he just did pretty well and had a couple of very good games.  And---shock!---sometimes judgments change. 

Here's the difference: Mkhitaryan has shown what he is capable of, in the CL, against some of the top clubs in the world.  So if he comes, and is a total failure, then we can hold our hands up and say "well, he had already shown what he could do, and why he was Liverpool quality."  But what on earth did Allen/Henderson/Downing/Borini etc ever do to merit us signing them?  nothing!  we signed them hoping they would turn into something we hadn't seen yet---whereas with Mkhitaryan, we have already seen what he can do, so we would be signing him to keep DOING what he is ALREADY doing.  See the difference?

"yea, yea, but he's 29, has played for years and years so of course he is better..."

Oh.  Wait.  He's 24.

Could it possibly be---gasp!---that he is just a better player than some of our awful players, despite being basically the same age?

Could it possibly be that Coutinho offers more than Downing/Henderson/Borini etc, despite being younger than all of them?  why?  because of some weird quantum physics abstraction that is only known to the Supreme Being?

Or is it... possibly... because... he's a better F***ing player than the sh*te we currently have "gracing" Anfield!!!

Simple.  Sign.  Quality.  Players.  Players who have shown on their day that they can be top drawer players.  Coutinho showed that.  Suarez showed that.  Mkhitaryan showed that.  If we sign top quality players and then they crumble when they get here, we hold our hands up and say "well, we tried."  But stop signing mid-table dross and then being shocked when they show nothing more than mid-table talent.

Hope Mkhitaryan signs and lights up the league next season.  If we force Suarez's hand and he stays, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho and Suarez in the attack is mouth-watering.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #24: Jun 04, 2013 08:10:38 am
      As this is in The Guardian not just The Mirror hopefully its happening he's a cracking player
      Scores goals from deep & links play up between the front & back brilliantly.
      I agree with Barney he's better than Eriksen & thats no mean feat.

Get in there Brendan get Mino Raiola down to Melwood sharpish....
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Jun 04, 2013 08:11:36 am
      I guess if we sign him that permanently rules out the likes of Arda Turan...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2013 08:21:30 am
      he wasn't "boss" after 6 games, he just did pretty well and had a couple of very good games.  And---shock!---sometimes judgments change. 

Here's the difference: Mkhitaryan has shown what he is capable of, in the CL, against some of the top clubs in the world.  So if he comes, and is a total failure, then we can hold our hands up and say "well, he had already shown what he could do, and why he was Liverpool quality."  But what on earth did Allen/Henderson/Downing/Borini etc ever do to merit us signing them?  nothing!  we signed them hoping they would turn into something we hadn't seen yet---whereas with Mkhitaryan, we have already seen what he can do, so we would be signing him to keep DOING what he is ALREADY doing.  See the difference?

"yea, yea, but he's 29, has played for years and years so of course he is better..."

Oh.  Wait.  He's 24.

Could it possibly be---gasp!---that he is just a better player than some of our awful players, despite being basically the same age?

Could it possibly be that Coutinho offers more than Downing/Henderson/Borini etc, despite being younger than all of them?  why?  because of some weird quantum physics abstraction that is only known to the Supreme Being?

Or is it... possibly... because... he's a better f**king player than the sh*te we currently have "gracing" Anfield!!!

Simple.  Sign.  Quality.  Players.  Players who have shown on their day that they can be top drawer players.  Coutinho showed that.  Suarez showed that.  Mkhitaryan showed that.  If we sign top quality players and then they crumble when they get here, we hold our hands up and say "well, we tried."  But stop signing mid-table dross and then being shocked when they show nothing more than mid-table talent.

Hope Mkhitaryan signs and lights up the league next season.  If we force Suarez's hand and he stays, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho and Suarez in the attack is mouth-watering.

Give it a rest

Are you about 12 seriously?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Jun 04, 2013 08:26:34 am
      Give it a rest

Are you about 12 seriously?

Ah, I see.  You're 12 if you want the club to aim higher.

You're clearly over 12 if you love awful players and don't care when the good players jump off the sinking ship.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #28: Jun 04, 2013 08:37:16 am

Ah, I see.  You're 12 if you want the club to aim higher.

You're clearly over 12 if you love awful players and don't care when the good players jump off the sinking ship.

No

But your "debating" style reminds me of my kid asking for another lolly pop
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #29: Jun 04, 2013 08:42:12 am

Oh.  Wait.  He's 24.

Or is it... possibly... because... he's a better F***ing player than the sh*te we currently have "gracing" Anfield!!!

I bet you're popular in social circles.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #30: Jun 04, 2013 08:55:47 am
      Comparable transfer fee to Luis, any Ukranian fans in to attest to his abilities rather than relying on youtube 'best ofs'?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #31: Jun 04, 2013 09:03:39 am
      I've just heard the lads on Citytalk discussing him, one thing I do know is they'll have to sort out the drainage on the Kop, it's gonna be full of spit.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Jun 04, 2013 09:08:24 am
      Il be honest iv never seen him play but what i have heard that he is a very good footballer. £22mil seems a lot just hope he is not overpriced but sounds like a better version of Eriksen but 25 goals and 10 assists in 27 starts for a player behind the striker is outstanding.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #33: Jun 04, 2013 09:09:28 am
      I've only seen the lad a few times in the CL. On one highlights show I remember him scoring twice, was very impressed. Willian completely outshone him in the games against Chelsea though.

He's obviously got talent though, 25 goals in 28 league games is immense.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jun 04, 2013 09:10:34 am
      Comparable transfer fee to Luis, any Ukranian fans in to attest to his abilities rather than relying on youtube 'best ofs'?

John Bradley would be the opinion I'd value most on twitter with regard to Henry/Henrik.

John Bradley ‏@JBcommentator 10h
      Having watched Henrikh Mkhitaryan grow as a person and a player at Shakhtar Donetsk, I will dance a jig if he signs for Liverpool #player

Right, here's the lowdown. Henrikh is a classic number 10 who makes Scholes like late runs into the penalty area and scores bundles of goals

When Jadson left Shakhtar they asked him to suggest replacement, he said noone Henrikh is already better than me, said he's world class

Henrikh is a player who plays well between the lines, his work rate and attitude are phenomenal. He'd be a great addition to any squad

John Bradley ‏@JBcommentator 9h
      I wouldn't worry about him adapting to England either, Henrikh is fluent in 5 or 6 languages including English. He's very intelligent !

John Bradley ‏@JBcommentator 1h
      @PJ_Boyle would remind me of when Gerrard played just off Torres the ohter year...am role

John Bradley ‏@JBcommentator 1h
      @benzillaw6 yes....I like him more than Erikksen

LFCexiled
      Reply #35: Jun 04, 2013 09:12:38 am
      He's obviously got talent though, 25 goals in 28 league games is immense.

I don't know the Ukranian league enough to know, if it's comparable to the Scottish league then I could bag 30, and I'm sh*te. ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #36: Jun 04, 2013 09:16:43 am
      Is this general transfer rumour rubbish or do we get the impression this  actually has substance?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #37: Jun 04, 2013 09:33:15 am
      Is this general transfer rumour rubbish or do we get the impression this  actually has substance?

Who knows P_d; we were linked with him before tho' and it is in the Guardian which tends to be less sensational and speculative in their reporting. So fingers crossed.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #38: Jun 04, 2013 09:47:58 am

On Citytalk this AM they said (words to the effect) that 'talks were productive', I got the impression that 'sauces' were genuine, but......

Ya know.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #39: Jun 04, 2013 09:50:22 am
      Holy sh*t, we're genuinely interested in a player that excites me?!

Is this really a Liverpool transfer window?
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #40: Jun 04, 2013 10:32:53 am
      Infact this transfer window has been a breath of fresh air. All the players that we have been linked to till now excites everyone here except for maybe Pearce.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #41: Jun 04, 2013 10:51:48 am
       I cannot for the life of me understand why posters allow each thread to become derailed by Federers occasionally amusing interjections. I'm pretty sure the fella makes his comments tongue in cheek most of the time, and people shouldn't take him overly seriously.

As for this lad, as Youtube clips go his are pretty impressive. He can hit it with both feet which I always like, he anticipates it well, has a turn of pace, a trick and can head it as well. Who the f*ck he is, what type of character he is, whether he has a habit of swanning off to Harrods or similar when you're preparing for a big match, whether he smokes, does Charlie, likes blonde prostitutes or whatever obviously I have no clue. From a football perspective though, the fella is clearly quite good. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jun 04, 2013 11:27:18 am
      I cannot for the life of me understand why posters allow each thread to become derailed by Federers occasionally amusing interjections. I'm pretty sure the fella makes his comments tongue in cheek most of the time, and people shouldn't take him overly seriously.

It just gets annoying when every comment by Federer relates to to Borini being sh*t or one of our other players being sh*t and slagging them off 24/7. I don't come on the forum to read sh*t like that all the time and I'm fairly sure that other forum members do either, surprised the idiot hasn't been banned yet. Complete WUM 99% of the time!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Jun 04, 2013 11:32:40 am
      22m is too much.  15-18m. Maybe.  Coutinho was 8m. We need to stop this spending culture.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #44: Jun 04, 2013 11:34:13 am
      22m is too much.  15-18m. Maybe.  Coutinho was 8m. We need to stop this spending culture.

So the margin between good price and overpaying can be as little as £4m?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #45: Jun 04, 2013 11:37:53 am
      Posted elsewhere that LFC are looking at the lad without depending on any Suarez speculation, according to the Guardian, which as posted elsewhere is one of our less shitty publications.

Quick Reply