Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 26120 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #23: Jun 12, 2013 03:51:33 pm
      I wonder about Andy Bell. You'd think when he joined Oasis after 2000 that they would progress further beyond the era of Britpop with the aid of him but they didn't and there's a perfect argument to say that Oasis should never have gone beyond the year 2000 barring the odd song here and there. It's a shame because I largely associate Andy Bell as being bang average because of it. And Beady Eye really are just Oasis without Noel. And when you make Oasis without Noel it's like making an apple pie but leaving out the apples.

Yeah, I can totally understand that logic about Andy Bell. His contribution to Oasis (which seems to be not much at all) has disappointed me greatly. However, being the huge Ride fan I am, I can't think of him as being just average. He had Mark Gardener and my favorite drummer Loz in Ride but still he was a huge part of that brilliant band.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #24: Jun 12, 2013 03:54:05 pm
      I think you have to be a little careful in a thread like this. Just because you don't like a band, doesn't mean they're necessarily overrated. I don't care for the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin the least bit, for example, but not sure they're overrated.

I do agree on Coldplay though ;D I cannot stand that douchebag Chris Martin.

While talking of Led Zepp, the Stones, Hendrix, the Who, Floyd and on and on we are talking about an entirely different cultural phenomenon.
      The word ''overrated'' in the context of the icons mentioned is ludicrous.
      Success is qualified by entirely different parameters and calculation in this digital era.
      For me the raw, unfannied, cutting edge, take no prisoners sound of the pure acid minstrels takes some beating, there have been some great pretenders subsequently.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #25: Jun 12, 2013 03:55:42 pm
      I'm doing it.

Nirvana.

I LOVED Nirvana when I was a kid.  Nevermind, In Utero & Bleach where never out of my stereo.

Cobain, in hindsight, was a terrrible lyricist, mard arse n*b head, who was simply in the right place at the right time.

(I still harbour a soft spot for them though)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: Jun 12, 2013 03:57:20 pm
      While talking of Led Zepp, the Stones, Hendrix, the Who, Floyd and on and on we are talking about an entirely different cultural phenomenon.
      The word ''overrated'' in the context of the icons mentioned is ludicrous.
      Success is qualified by entirely different parameters and calculation in this digital era.
      For me the raw, unfannied, cutting edge, take no prisoners sound of the pure acid minstrels takes some beating, there have been some great pretenders subsequently.

No I agree! I'm just saying that simply because you don't like a band, doesn't mean they're overrated per se.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Jun 12, 2013 03:58:05 pm
      I'm not a big Led Zeppelin fan either, and I'm not very keen on Pink Floyd. But I wouldn't call them overrated at all. In fact, I believe one day I'll probably end up loving them and asking myself how on Earth I never liked them - it has happened before ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #28: Jun 12, 2013 04:02:13 pm
      Yeah, I can totally understand that logic about Andy Bell. His contribution to Oasis (which seems to be not much at all) has disappointed me greatly. However, being the huge Ride fan I am, I can't think of him as being just average. He had Mark Gardener and my favorite drummer Loz in Ride but still he was a huge part of that brilliant band.

The problem is that Nowhere was 22/23 years ago now which makes me think that he lost that ability to be forward and progressive. The idea of Nowhere + Definitely Maybe would have been astounding. But I think Noel is a control freak and he doesn't like anyone else dictating the music or production so it was never going to work.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Jun 12, 2013 04:05:49 pm
      I'm doing it.

Nirvana.

I LOVED Nirvana when I was a kid.  Nevermind, In Utero & Bleach where never out of my stereo.

Cobain, in hindsight, was a terrrible lyricist, mard arse n*b head, who was simply in the right place at the right time.

(I still harbour a soft spot for them though)

Nah, I totally disagree. No need to feel ashamed for liking them - not all you did when younger was stupid ;D

Nirvana are still a great band in my eyes. They were my introduction to rock music and I couldn't have asked for a better 'guide'!  :666:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #30: Jun 12, 2013 04:07:47 pm
      Nah, I totally disagree. No need to feel ashamed for liking them - not all you did when younger was stupid ;D

Nirvana are still a great band in my eyes. They were my introduction to rock music and I couldn't have asked for a better 'guide'!  :666:

Not ashamed at all mate.  I listen to them and I'm 12 again.

The reason why they get my vote is that their musical participation to grunge, compared to Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, even Pearl Jam, was pretty poor.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Jun 12, 2013 04:12:30 pm
      The reason why they get my vote is that their musical participation to grunge, compared to Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, even Pearl Jam, was pretty poor.

I see where you're coming from but I still disagree. They were not the most elaborate of bands but they were real, honest and aroused all kinds of emotions when you listened to them - what else can you ask from a band? A bit like the Ramones, I would say (another band from my childhood I still love ;D)

For me, their MTV unplugged showed they could be softer as well, more melodic, without losing that power to affect me straight away every time I listened to them. Kurt Cobain's rendition of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" is one of my favorite live performances ever. So powerful!

From the bands you mentioned, the only one I was never a big fan of is Soundgarden.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Jun 12, 2013 04:14:46 pm
      Not ashamed at all mate.  I listen to them and I'm 12 again.

As somebody who prefers Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, I want to agree with you.

I can't though.

If there is one album that captured the Zeitgeist of the time it was Nevermind.
      Yes they became the poster boys of the movement, but F**k it what a movement.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Jun 12, 2013 06:25:44 pm
      How could I forget The Emperor's new clothes... Oasis.

'Lads' had to like them (to be 'cool', dontcha know) but put their 'music' under any scrutiny and whoops... derivative (bordering on stolen) repetitive tunes over the most blatant example of 'the rhyme writing the song' lyrics. Only those with limited frames of reference genuinely like them.  >:D

Seriously folks we got ourselves a winner... QuOasis.  :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Jun 12, 2013 06:29:04 pm
      How could I forget The Emperor's new clothes... Oasis.

'Lads' had to like them (to be 'cool', dontcha know) but put their 'music' under any scrutiny and whoops... derivative (bordering on stolen) repetitive tunes over the most blatant example of 'the rhyme writing the song' lyrics. Only those with limited frames of reference genuinely like them.  >:D

Seriously folks we got ourselves a winner... QuOasis.  :clap:

Controversial! Try telling that to George Martin who said Noel was the 'finest songwriter of his generation'! I quite agree George!

But yeah the lad thing pisses me off. But thankfully they are now all identifiable in their parkas and Fred Perry gear. Which reminds me. An overrated band and an overrated act - The Jam and Paul Weller. If Geoffrey from Rainbow became a 'rock star' that was it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Jun 12, 2013 06:43:27 pm
      An overrated band and an overrated act - The Jam and Paul Weller.

Now you've gone too far  >:(
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Jun 12, 2013 06:57:58 pm
      Controversial! Try telling that to George Martin who said Noel was the 'finest songwriter of his generation'!

Maybe he thought he was listening to The Beatles? ;D

Joking aside; even a blind pig can find a truffle but George did produce other greats such as... er... em... Cilla Black, Gary Glitter and er... Alvin Stardust - he'd a great ear for a song alright and was renowned for his wicked, dark, sense of humour.

Oasis are still the most overrated band ever. IMO of course. 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #37: Jun 12, 2013 07:14:05 pm
      Metalica are up there too, I find them boring zzzzzz. Slipknot and Disturbed are far better IMO.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Jun 12, 2013 07:33:37 pm
      Metalica are up there too, I find them boring zzzzzz. Slipknot and Disturbed are far better IMO.

Never listened to Disturbed but I couldn't disagree more regarding Slipknot.

I saw both Slipknot and Metallica @ Rock in Rio two years ago and for me there was no comparison between them. Slipknot strike me as a teenage band to be honest, repetitive, pseudo, using the stereotypes and clichés of heavy metal in their favor. Metallica, on the other hand, are for real. They might not be as good as they used to be, but I still look upon them with reverence.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #39: Jun 13, 2013 05:22:15 am
      Never listened to Disturbed but I couldn't disagree more regarding Slipknot.

I saw both Slipknot and Metallica @ Rock in Rio two years ago and for me there was no comparison between them. Slipknot strike me as a teenage band to be honest, repetitive, pseudo, using the stereotypes and clichés of heavy metal in their favor. Metallica, on the other hand, are for real. They might not be as good as they used to be, but I still look upon them with reverence.
      I prefer my metal to be loud and in your face, SllpKnot are definitely that.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #40: Jun 13, 2013 09:04:37 am
      I prefer my metal to be loud and in your face, SllpKnot are definitely that.

Slipknot will always be a sh*t Pantera.

Corey Taylor and Mick Thomson are great guys, who definately know their music and they are talented - I agree with the "Teenage Band" label though
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #41: Jun 13, 2013 07:21:09 pm
      Slipknot will always be a sh*t Pantera.

Corey Taylor and Mick Thomson are great guys, who definately know their music and they are talented - I agree with the "Teenage Band" label though
      Sure they would have been a band for teen-agers to rebel to at the beginning of their fame, the fitst album in particular, but as each album was released their sound has matured. Their 4th album (All hope has gone) is a million miles from where they began.
      Haven't heard much Pantera, prefer harder music like Sepultura.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #42: Jun 14, 2013 01:38:04 pm
      Muse.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #43: Jun 14, 2013 01:39:22 pm
      Red Hot Chilli Peppers.